PDA

View Full Version : My first Boat

Foiler
02-06-2006, 03:43 PM
I'll start by saying I own a MC now but I bought my first boat in 1986 a 15 1/2 Ranger with a 90 hp Mec. I thought I'd like fishing but it wasn't long until the fishing rods stayed home and the skis were in the locker.

I sold that boat to my cousin where it has sat since 1998. His girl friend (this week) likes to fish so we're going to see if it will run. I took the spark plugs out and there is still oil on the threads. I turned the motor over by hand so the rings aren't rusted and froze up. If seen this before where rings rust and attach themselfs to the cylinders. I took the one of the carb bowls off and there was no gas or residue from gas in it.

Everything so far looks good, does anyone know of anything else that I should do or check before we put some fresh gas in and try to start it.

I must say it was good to see the old boat again, it would easily pull me up with for a slalom run...sure brought back some good memories.

jayderwin1
02-06-2006, 03:50 PM
check the lower unit oil.

bradamerry
02-06-2006, 04:11 PM
check the lower unit oil.
Very true... I would change it just to be safe.. I change the lower unit oil every two years.

Workin' 4 Toys
02-06-2006, 04:25 PM
On the subject of the carbs. Why no fuel? Was it drained or run dry? And the rings shouldn't be an issue if it was fogged.
If the fuel system was run dry, you should look over the lines, to make sure they aren't cracked or dryrotted. And look for leaks when it first starts even if you didn't find anything obvious. Look close including around the carbs. Dry carbs could make for leaky seals.

Foiler
02-06-2006, 05:08 PM
On the subject of the carbs. Why no fuel? Was it drained or run dry? And the rings shouldn't be an issue if it was fogged.
If the fuel system was run dry, you should look over the lines, to make sure they aren't cracked or dryrotted. And look for leaks when it first starts even if you didn't find anything obvious. Look close including around the carbs. Dry carbs could make for leaky seals.

I'll check the lower unit oil...Thanks

The motor wasn't fogged, and the carbs (3) weren't emptied. I don't know where the gas went unless it evaporated. I know on an outboard you have to prime the motor with the sqeeze ball primer. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with no gas being in them or not. Also the motor was stored at a pretty good angle on the trailer with the motor support.

Cloaked
02-06-2006, 08:02 PM
I'll start by saying I sold that boat to my cousin where it has sat since 1998. His girl friend (this week) likes to fish so we're going to see if it will run.
Everything so far looks good, does anyone know of anything else that I should do or check.. Check to see if he know she's going fishing with you? :confused:

Footin
02-06-2006, 08:04 PM
If not, Sporty will take her.

:headbang:

Foiler
02-07-2006, 12:59 AM
[QUOTE=Sporty]Check to see if he know she's going fishing with you? /QUOTE]

She is a pretty girl with long bond hair, she cleans and cooks the fish she catches...kind of unusual.

Workin' 4 Toys
02-07-2006, 02:50 PM

She is a pretty girl with long bond hair, she cleans and cooks the fish she catches...kind of unusual.
Let's see some pictures......... And I don't need to see the boat....;)

TonyB
02-07-2006, 04:18 PM

TTIUWP* ;)

*This Thread Is Useless Without Pictures

Ron Grover
02-07-2006, 05:19 PM
When you start to crank it over watch for gas to see if it is flowing out of the carbs. I had a Merc once that set for a few years and rubber parts in carb and fuel pump dried out and it leaked gas like a sieve.

Crank it with the cover OFF so fumes and escape.

Sodar
02-07-2006, 11:21 PM
I agree with gear oil, that is a must. I would also change plugs and check the fuel filters. Once it fires I would run some Carbon-Out to clean the heads and cylinders out. You should be fine though, 2-stroke outboards are pretty bullet proof!

Edit: One more thing... if it is oil injected. Check the oil hose on its way to the mixing valve. I saw a guy a couple summers ago who lost his whole motor because a 5 cent hose split and it did not get any oil!

Foiler
02-07-2006, 11:37 PM
Thanks Ron sounds like a good ideal to leave the cover off.

SodarSki73,
It's an older Merc so no mixer, but I can see some carbon build up by looking in the spark plug holes. I didn't know there was such a product as carbon out, I'll see if I can find it.

When the weather warmes up a little we'll see if she'll fire.