PDA

View Full Version : The Stones halftime show

Upper Michigan Prostar190
02-06-2006, 11:22 AM
So lets talk about the half time show last nite. The stones performance. I thought it was pretty bad. Micks vocals were sometimes not on the correct note, sometimes off pitch, very slurred. he seemed to be far more concerned with jumping around than he did about singing the song. Ronnie and Keith's guitar playing was actually terrible. The had definite tuning issues compounded by the fact that they were playing about as tight as a garage band of 14 yr old kids that just started playing a week ago. They were bending notes off pitch, hitting lots of incorrect notes, even bending entire chords off pitch. and not always in time with the drums. It was sad. and where was their bass player? I saw I guy there playing keyboards and singing backups, but no bass player..... at least the cameras didnt feature him. I mean for a band that has played together for over 40 years, they should be automatic, everything should be near perfect. I have seen bar bands do their stuff way better than that performance. my family and co workers all had the same opinion about it. (and we are NOT anti-stones. The stones are cool, they just are sounding bad) Just curious what everyone else thought.....?

So lets fire up a poll!!!

richardsoncd
02-06-2006, 11:26 AM
I agree that they sucked last night....not making any accusations, but Mick looked a little "too fired up" last night...maybe a bit too much rock 'n' roll before the show. Just an observation.

JimN
02-06-2006, 11:37 AM
Being that far off in pitch and not hearing the drums- you just answered your own question of "What was wrong with them?". If the monitors aren't right, they'll never be able to hear each other and garage band is the result. That was a huge stage too, and being that far from the main part of the band makes it really hard ot get the timing right. I'm surprised they don't use in-ear monitors for a stage like that. The TV mix was terrible and if the monitors were as bad as I think they were, the FOH sound must have been absolute crap.

Darryl Jones is the replacement bass player and he was at stage left most of the time, wearing a red beret. Chuck Leavell was the keyboard player. Darryl Jones has been around for a long time as a session player and in various bands. Chuck Leavell was on Clapton's unplugged show and had a band called Sea Level as well as touring with the Stones and IIRC, the Allman Bros.

shepherd
02-06-2006, 11:47 AM
I mean for a band that has played together for over 40 years, they should be automatic, everything should be near perfect.

That's probably what they (the band) thought. My opinion is they believe they are such big "stars" that have been around so long that they don't need to waste their time practicing or doing sound checks.

Like I said before -- LOVE their old stuff, like Sympathy for the Devil, Gimme Shelter, Paint it Black, Heartbreaker -- but they've been dishing out nothing but crap during the last 25 years or so... (OK, "crap" may be too strong, but it's been mediocre at best).

But I guess you guys know my opinions from the other threads... :rolleyes:

lakes Rick
02-06-2006, 11:51 AM
They were never very good in there day... Just alot of hype..

Like someone said elswhere.. At one super bowl Michael Jackson was the half time show and OJ Simpson flipped the coin..

FREAK show and Mick really fits right in.. Only person missing was his boyfriend David BLOWIE......

02-06-2006, 12:02 PM
I'm surprised they don't use in-ear monitors for a stage like that.

YOU SAID IT BUDDY!!! :toast: WHy any pro band would not use PEM's is a mystery to me.... I only play small gigs a few times a year, but I keep threatening to buy my self an entry level PEM to solve my stage sound problems. I mean even non pros can get into them for a few hundred bucks.....a monitor costs the same as a PEM, why would you not use them?? Dont make sense to me..... :confused:

UMP

JimN
02-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Music being what it is, one band isn't going to please everyone. They're one of the bands where you're on their side or not. They've never been called one of the tightest bands, but when they're on, they're on. Still, they do OK for a bunch of 60 year olds.

I don't know if it has anything to do with it but last week, Mick was asked if playing at halftime for the Super Bowl was one of his big dreams and he just smiled and said, "No, not really". He looked like he had a hitch in his getalong, too. Maybe he needs to be more active in his old age.

Anybody ever been to "One of the best shows of my life!!!!!!!!!!!" and listened to a recording of it later? Reality doesn't always match the experience.

Eagle
02-06-2006, 12:36 PM
I'm surprised they don't use in-ear monitors for a stage like that.
I noticed that Mick was wearing a flesh colored in-ear monitor.

3event
02-06-2006, 12:55 PM
The Stones were pitiful. Thankfully it was hard to hear a lot of the music well - the other partygoers in the room were all yelling at Mick Jagger to quit dancing like he was on crack and put some more clothes on (that was the women complaining mostly - they didn't want to see it either!!!).

02-06-2006, 01:05 PM
I noticed that Mick was wearing a flesh colored in-ear monitor.
Really.....??? Hmmm..... I must have missed it. so what where all the monitors doing all over the stage?? That dont make sense to wear PEMs AND have monitors ALL over the stage. I mean there were ALOT of monitors out there. That really confuses me..... :confused: :confused:

shepherd
02-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Maybe it was his hearing aid :rolleyes:

02-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Maybe it was his hearing aid :rolleyes:

wooo hooo!!! Nice "old age" dig on the Jagger Shep!!! :woohoo: :headbang:

LakePirate
02-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Chuck Leavell was the keyboard player. Chuck Leavell was on Clapton's unplugged show and had a band called Sea Level as well as touring with the Stones and IIRC, the Allman Bros.

Chuck lived in Macon when he teamed up with the Allman Brothers after Duane's Death. Local boy done good.

PendO
02-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Only person missing was his boyfriend David BLOWIE (http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/bowie.htm)......

thats funny

lakes Rick
02-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Years ago I saw Blowie and Jagger in a music video together.. There certainly seemed to be Magic in the air between them....