PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboarding in the Carribean

bonedoc
02-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Have any of you taken your board along to an all-inclusive in the carribean? We are going for a week, and the resort includes waterski/wakeboarding. Is it worth packing the board along, or is it too rough oof-shore of these tropical islands? Tha :confused: nks.

jayderwin1
02-05-2006, 09:27 PM
i was raised in the FL keys and we always wakeboarded and water skiied in the bays certain times a day the water would be glass. just would have to wait for the tides to be deep enough.

SKI*MC
02-05-2006, 09:55 PM
One of my friends took a trip to Jamaica, and he thought there was skiing there too. It tunrs out it was just some beat up Ski Ray that wouldn't pull a skiier over 20 MPH. But this might be different. i would just bring one. It wouldn't hurt anything.

River Rat
02-06-2006, 02:29 PM
We went to Sandals in Jamaica 10yrs ago and got pulled by a MC. water was way to rough. I went early in the morning 4 times and got 1 good ride! stick to scuba and babe watching, its always good down there :guitar:

rodltg2
02-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Have any of you taken your board along to an all-inclusive in the carribean? We are going for a week, and the resort includes waterski/wakeboarding. Is it worth packing the board along, or is it too rough oof-shore of these tropical islands? Tha :confused: nks.

carribean is kind of broad, can you specify where your going.

AirJunky
02-06-2006, 02:45 PM
I have a buddy who was the ski coach at Club Med in the Bahamas. They used to have to wait till the tide came in to get the depth to safely ride. When the tide was out, the depth was like 3' or 4', sometimes a lot less.
Bring your board. And rinse it off a LOT!

BeavenX5
02-06-2006, 03:15 PM
We went to Dominican Republic at Xmass and I was hoping to do a ride there as the hotel listed waterski as a paid activity.
1- Water was way too chopy. 2- Driver was an idiot. :huh: 3- No observer or any safety rules what so ever. :eek3: 4- Boat was a large rowboat with a 65HP.
Some people there tried Banana Boat rides. My kids wanted to try that but I thought it was ridiculous and dangerous. Tubing would be more fun than Banana tube.

Unfortunately, chances are that you will have to wait until spring back home to enjoy it. :(

rodltg2
02-06-2006, 03:20 PM
We went to Dominican Republic at Xmass and I was hoping to do a ride there as the hotel listed waterski as a paid activity.
1- Water was way too chopy. 2- Driver was an idiot. :huh: 3- No observer or any safety rules what so ever. :eek3: 4- Boat was a large rowboat with a 65HP.
Some people there tried Banana Boat rides. My kids wanted to try that but I thought it was ridiculous and dangerous. Tubing would be more fun than Banana tube.

Unfortunately, chances are that you will have to wait until spring back home to enjoy it. :(

theres nice private lake there, should have hit that up. more for a slalom skier though.

BeavenX5
02-07-2006, 11:53 AM
theres nice private lake there, should have hit that up. more for a slalom skier though.
I spend 90% of my time on my slalom, mainly course skiing.
I would have been happy to wakeboard there since waterskiing on the ocean waves would not be as enjoyable. Anything is nice during winter. Even snowskis or snowboard behind the snowmobile.
I never thought about private lakes there...