PDA

View Full Version : Solving the junky cup holder/motor vent on the back of the motor box

pwillcutts
02-05-2006, 09:55 AM
I'm just getting started on a complete re-upholstering job on my 1990 Tri-Star (open bow). They didn't make this model very long, so no OE skins available. It'll be a custom job all the way. I saw mention on another thread of the problems with that big junky cup holder/motor vent on the back of the motor box. Mine is a real eyesore.....I think it'll look even worse once the boat has fresh upholstery. I'm thinking of removing the whole plastic vent/ cup holder piece entirely and just upholstering right over it, maybe putting in a small metal vent where the hole in the fiberglass is left, and just having the cupholders sit in their fiberglass holes snug directly to the upholstery. Anyone ever try this ??? Does the engine need that vent at all, if you run the blower? Thanks

TMCNo1
02-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Those vents on the engine box only aid in venting engine heat and any fumes inside the box when the engine and blower are off and the engine is hot after use and its sitting at a pier, floating in the lake, on a lift or in a boat house. When the blower is running, you are at speed or trailering the heat and fumes are removed.

etduc
02-13-2006, 06:28 PM
Vents good idea. Cup holder, in this area, dumb. Does keep the coffee warm.
My Tristar, has the vent/cup holder covered with upholstery. Thinking of adding vent, cause engine box, can get really hot.

east tx skier
02-13-2006, 06:35 PM
If it's similar to the one they had on later model prostars, you might offer up the plastic piece to someone on this site. I seem to remember some people looking for one some time back.

You could probably purchase drink holder inserts like they put in the bow of some models (they're only a few bucks a piece). It might have a little more streamlined look. This is before I added the second one to my jump seat.

AirJunky
02-13-2006, 06:55 PM
I replaced all 3 cupholders in the engine cover last winter. As any of the Prostars & Tristars rack up the hours, they become dried out, discolored & brittle due to the engine heat. If you get rid of them altogether, then you might consider new ones somewhere in back for your passengers. Otherwise they might sit their beer down on the floor & who knows where they might end up?!

TMCNo1
02-14-2006, 01:16 PM
You can replace the plastic ones with the 304 s/s ones from West Marine, then they won't crack, chip, discolor and are a direct replacement for the old ones. They have a fitting on them to pipe any water into the bilge. GO FOR IT!

pwillcutts
02-16-2006, 10:53 PM
thanks for the tips everyone. My upholstry guy said the same thing about the vent....gotta have one....but we're still pulling out the whole plastic cup/vent piece (up for grabs if anyone really wants it?), and putting in a small metal vent instead. I like the stainless steel cup holder idea to fill those 3 slots in the upholstry.....but West Marine lists those 304 s/s as ashtrays?? I'll add a picture to show you what I'm working with, if I can figure out how to???

flipper
02-16-2006, 11:05 PM
From what I under stand, the vents provide cooler air to the carb helping the engine run better. The cooler the air around the engine, the better it will run. As far as the cooling of the engine, it does nothing, just helps the compartment stay cool. I would keep some kind of vent in there. When it is all done and cleaned well with new cup holders ($2 a piece), and cleaned well, I think it will look fine.

H20skeefreek
02-16-2006, 11:10 PM
thanks for the tips everyone. My upholstry guy said the same thing about the vent....gotta have one....but we're still pulling out the whole plastic cup/vent piece (up for grabs if anyone really wants it?), and putting in a small metal vent instead. I like the stainless steel cup holder idea to fill those 3 slots in the upholstry.....but West Marine lists those 304 s/s as ashtrays?? I'll add a picture to show you what I'm working with, if I can figure out how to???
I don't think i've ever seen us list them as ashtrays, take another look. TMC no. 1, do you know that we built a store in Knoxville?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=134295

pwillcutts
02-17-2006, 12:49 AM
thanks for the link to that s/s cupholder. very nice. whats a couple more bucks for quality s/s at this point, considering all the $ I'm spending on the whole job. When I found the ash tray ones I had just searced the site for "304 s/s" and this is what I found:

H20skeefreek
02-17-2006, 07:43 AM
thanks for the link to that s/s cupholder. very nice. whats a couple more bucks for quality s/s at this point, considering all the $ I'm spending on the whole job. When I found the ash tray ones I had just searced the site for "304 s/s" and this is what I found:
Yeah, I saw that one too. We are really working on our search function, it really sucks. If you search for drink holders, the SS one doesn't even come up. I had to search for "stainless drink holder" to find it. If you are ever looking for something and can't find it, shoot me an email, and I'll see if I can help.

H20skeefreek
02-18-2006, 01:55 PM
Hey man, I saw this and thought you might be interested

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&postid=SIA02684

TMCNo1
02-18-2006, 02:25 PM
I don't understand, sorry , but in the 2006 WEST MARINE master calalogue they are shown on page 757, left middle side of the page as Stainless Steel Drink Holder, 304 polished stainless steel, part no.5358015 $15.95 ea. and also have 2 sizes in the cheap plastic replacements on the same page. Discount Inboard Marine [www.skidim.com] has them in S/S as previously posted for $9.99ea.. You will have to decide the quality and price you prefer. :confused: :confused:

H20skeefreek
02-18-2006, 03:56 PM
TMC NO.1,
I'm not sure what your question is. They clearly are not exactly the same, and from different suppliers. Different vendors have different costs of doing business, and some retailers cut below MAP (minimum advertised prices) or MSRP (shouldn't need to explain that one). If it is an identical item, then any retailer would be happy to price match.

Vince is great, and even as a WM employee, I buy from Vince sometimes (we are in the same town so sometimes in an emergency it's better for me to buy from him). But I GARANTEE that I can find things on DIM's website that is priced higher than WM.

Do you expect the prices to be the same everwhere? It's called competition, and you'd get screwed accross the board without it.

TMCNo1
02-18-2006, 05:13 PM
TMC NO.1,
I'm not sure what your question is. They clearly are not exactly the same, and from different suppliers. Different vendors have different costs of doing business, and some retailers cut below MAP (minimum advertised prices) or MSRP (shouldn't need to explain that one). If it is an identical item, then any retailer would be happy to price match.

Vince is great, and even as a WM employee, I buy from Vince sometimes (we are in the same town so sometimes in an emergency it's better for me to buy from him). But I GARANTEE that I can find things on DIM's website that is priced higher than WM.

Do you expect the prices to be the same everwhere? It's called competition, and you'd get screwed accross the board without it.

I think I screwed everything up here, but some how my understanding was these guys were talking about s/s cup holders and it somehow wound up as only s/s ash trays that they found instead and there were posts showing the s/s drink holders and their respective info in the past on this thread that were already available to them. You couldn't see the expression on my face and the frustration I felt as I was reading and I just posted to get the point across that they did in fact exist somewhere. I apoligize if I stepped on anyone toes and am aware of probable quality and feature difference as is reflected by the prices, which I will assume the boat owner that needs them will have to decide when it come time for his purchase. Said boat owner also has the choice to replace his cup holders with the cheap plastic ones for the money he could spend on any kind of s/s and still have several cheap plastic cup holders as spares,of which appears he is trying to replace. Bottom line, I am glad it's his choice, instead of mine! It's all good!, and thanks for being there!

pwillcutts
02-23-2006, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the websites guys. Lots of great info out there that I hadn't seen before.
Follow up question; I'm replacing some rotted wood while I re-upholster. Should I use pressure-treated plywood, or regular plywood w/ a sealer? Also, my local dealer said I could skip the vent and upholster right over it on the motor cover......I guess all the new boats come without vents now? see pic below from 2005 boat:

Hoff1
02-23-2006, 09:12 AM
My 1990 Maristar has the same engine box design. I would be cautious about removing the entire plastic insert for the cup holders. The part that is notched out is not a vent, if thatís what you are talking about. Mineís sealed all the way around. I thought was in case of an engine fire. If there was an engine fire (and you hadnít already jumped in the water), you can rip that piece off and spray your fire extinguisher in there. Inside the box, there is a perforated screen that might stop some of the flames from coming through as you do this. When I lined my box with the sound dampening foam, I made sure to not cover this piece for this reason.

New boats donít have the same opportunity for engine fires with fuel injection versus carburetors. Thatís why I donít think new boats have the same feature. Although, I could be totally wrong on all accounts, except for the fact that they are eye sores.

H20skeefreek
02-23-2006, 09:20 AM
My 1990 Maristar has the same engine box design. I would be cautious about removing the entire plastic insert for the cup holders. The part that is notched out is not a vent, if thatís what you are talking about. Mineís sealed all the way around. I thought was in case of an engine fire. If there was an engine fire (and you hadnít already jumped in the water), you can rip that piece off and spray your fire extinguisher in there. Inside the box, there is a perforated screen that might stop some of the flames from coming through as you do this. When I lined my box with the sound dampening foam, I made sure to not cover this piece for this reason.

New boats donít have the same opportunity for engine fires with fuel injection versus carburetors. Thatís why I donít think new boats have the same feature. Although, I could be totally wrong on all accounts, except for the fact that they are eye sores.
I'm not sure that this is correct. Everyone that I have seen has been vented there. In a fire situation you never want to open a hatch or port of any kind, as you'd supply more oxygen and make the fire worse. if this is a concern you can buy a "fire port" which is a little valved hole specifically for this purpose.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/81261

Hoff1
02-23-2006, 09:34 AM
I don't have any evidence that it's true or not. But, mine doesn't have any vents in the area. Completely sealed there.

milkmania
02-02-2007, 01:39 PM
anybody ever tried making something to work out of fiberglass???

SD190EVO
02-02-2007, 02:05 PM
In the picture of the blue newer model, there is a vent. It is not like the older style integrated into the cupholder but the vent is there. It is between the vinyl top part and the carpet. The vinyl part does not seal around the back to the carpet thus leaving about a 1" overhang and that is how they are vented now.