PDA

View Full Version : battery brainstorm ahead.........

milkmania
02-04-2006, 05:52 PM
my bumper pull travel trailer has a deep cycle battery mounted to the tongue.....
when it's hooked up to the truck, the truck's alternator charges that battery.

I am wanting to replace the deep cycle marine battery on my PS190 (the battery is still good, but not dependable)

why couldn't I mount it (old battery) into a battery box to the tongue on my boat trailer and wire it the same way? always having a charged battery available. I've got enough tongue room to mount a battery box with 4 inch U-bolts, and cut a piece of pressure treated lumber to place in the bottom of the box (with holes drilled in the lumber to accomidate the U-bolts coming up through the bottom of the battery box)

I already carry a jumper pack, but dang, I'm really figuringhttp://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/stuff.gif

erkoehler
02-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Not sure if there would truly be a need for it???? Seems like it may just be over kill :confused:

Danimal
02-04-2006, 06:04 PM
I think that's a pretty cool idea especially if you take your boat on long weekend or trips.

milkmania
02-04-2006, 06:06 PM
two hot batteries at the lake is not overkill, it might be the thing that makes or breaks a good weekend

milkmania
02-04-2006, 06:09 PM
I think that's a pretty cool idea especially if you take your boat on long weekend or trips.

I've got to study it a little more....not sure if the travel trailer wiring goes through the inverter then to the battery....

and I do know from experience that when the travel trailer is hook to the truck, and I'm drawing voltage inside the travel trailer, it will drain both batteries...

so, I could install a toggle switch in the truck to break the connection once I got to the lake, or at least always remember to unplug the trailer.

ski_king
02-04-2006, 06:10 PM
You could also add the second battery under the hood of your burban and you would have it with you all the time.

erkoehler
02-04-2006, 06:16 PM
two hot batteries at the lake is not overkill, it might be the thing that makes or breaks a good weekend

I agree with having 2 batteries with you on a trip, but I would be worried someone would steal it. I have had the guide pads stolen off my trailer once, and if there was $100 in battery equipment it would probably walk away pretty quick.

I guess I should have been more specific in my first post. If it could be really secured and not taken from the trailer.

milkmania
02-04-2006, 06:22 PM
You could also add the second battery under the hood of your burban and you would have it with you all the time.

hey............................................... ...........http://deephousepage.com/smilies/scratchchin.gif

Tom023
02-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Why not mount a second battery in the boat? That way you have it on the water when you need it. I'm sure it would walk away at my ramp.

milkmania
02-04-2006, 06:33 PM
Why not mount a second battery in the boat? That way you have it on the water when you need it. I'm sure it would walk away at my ramp.

I'm just thinking with a "good" battery in the boat, I shouldn't need the other battery, but have it there for when I do bonehead things.

at this point, I have a Continental Deep cycle, and it's cranking the 351 slowly, even after using the floating battery charger......the battery is only 1 and 1/2 years old.:(

milkmania
02-04-2006, 06:41 PM
http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm

Kevin 89MC
02-06-2006, 11:49 AM
I'm just thinking with a "good" battery in the boat, I shouldn't need the other battery, but have it there for when I do bonehead things.

at this point, I have a Continental Deep cycle, and it's cranking the 351 slowly, even after using the floating battery charger......the battery is only 1 and 1/2 years old.:(
Just a thought on your slow cranking issue . . . I had a slow cranking issue (especially when hot) with my boat last year. I read on another site awhile ago that deep cycle batteries should not be used as our starting batteries. We are starting car engines after all. I had a deep cycle that was only 2 years old. I put in a regular automotive starting battery, and my slow cranking issue went away. Worked for me . . . good luck.

JimN
02-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Also, not having enough current available when cranking is a really bad thing for the starter and solenoid.

Leroy
02-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Be careful about wire size with current draw to/from that battery for charging and discharge.