PDA

View Full Version : advice . . to buy budget boat! . . and gelcoat repair!

Boogieman
02-03-2006, 10:44 PM
I'm looking for a "budget boat" :D (I'm in Canada . . but don't know how long I'm gonna stay . . so I don't want to spend a lot for a boat . .) . . . and I found a really cheap '88 Tristar with open bow . . exactly what I wanted :D . . but . . . the boat is in ROUGH shape :eek: . . interieur is... let's say . . bad!
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/3269/boatfsmall6kt.th.jpg (http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=boatfsmall6kt.jpg)

Boogieman
02-03-2006, 10:45 PM
. . but I'm more worried about the outside . .
http://img482.imageshack.us/img482/4097/boatasmall0yr.th.jpg (http://img482.imageshack.us/my.php?image=boatasmall0yr.jpg)
they drilled some holes . . and monted a "homemade" tower . . . and it has also some "spiderweb" cracks . .

i'm thinking about buying it and fixing it up so I can use it . . it doesn't have to be perfect . . . I'm a car technician . . . have done some interieur work on cars and boats . . and did some paintjobs on cars . . but have no expirience with boat hulls . . could I sand the whole thing down and paint it? . . . and how can these holes be fixed? . .

. . how on earth can somebody let a MC get this bad . . :mad:

rodltg2
02-03-2006, 10:47 PM
oh man i hope theyre not asking much for it

Boogieman
02-03-2006, 10:59 PM
hmm . . what would be . . not much?

I think the price shows pretty much the condition the boat is in . . . but . . let's hear some numbers from you guys . .

88 PS190
02-03-2006, 11:02 PM
My personal take here. Most boats and cars in the current market cost less to buy a nice one then to buy one that needs work. Example, 80's something mastercraft, in poor but usable condition is likely to run you around 4-5k, same model w/ perfect pass in good shape can be found for 8-10. how much does it cost and how much time to get to the same point. certainly more than it costs to buy the nicer boat. additionally you'll get your investment out of the nice boat, your repairs unless perfect likely won't raise the value of the boat.

Brent
02-03-2006, 11:12 PM
You fiberglass ,gel-coat, polish & wax. How is the boat mechanically ?are the Prop strut & rudder in good shape ? What is your budget? You know it better include the repairs this boat needs! I got a 87 Prostar 3 years ago for $7,000 US& had to do a lot of polishing the get the luster back! I 'd need t see larger pictures of this boat ,but a ball park shot would $3500 US (Pure Guess). :eek:

Cloaked
02-03-2006, 11:13 PM
I would not worry about a few holes in the hull / deck. Who cares (as to meet your needs here)? The spider cracks will be in every hull / deck sooner or later. Again no sweat. If the price is right, go for it. I'd like to see you get it for US$5k-6k or less and put some time and effort into the interior. A good upholstery job may run you US$1200 - 1500 or you can skin it out yourself for the cost of the material, but honestly, if you find someone that can do it reasonably, allow them to suffer the pain.

New carpet is less than $US150 for the spool and you can install it in a weekend.

A good buffing kit will run you about $US130 that will pull the shine very well (with the correct buffer - about US$275).

As long as the boat works well and pulls, it's all good!

Small holes are nothing. Heck, fill them with silicone and motor on.... :guitar:

Boogieman
02-03-2006, 11:14 PM
hmm . . good point . . BUT . . I don't want to spend 10k . . and I can do a lot myself (interieur, engine . . . .) maybe not perfect but good . . so I'm only worried about the hull . . and it's always more fun to fix some stuff . . then buy a perfect one . . :D

Cloaked
02-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Bump back at ya'. :D

Boogieman
02-03-2006, 11:21 PM
You fiberglass ,gel-coat, polish & wax. How is the boat mechanically ?are the Prop strut & rudder in good shape ? What is your budget? You know it better include the repairs this boat needs! I got a 87 Prostar 3 years ago for $7,000 US& had to do a lot of polishing the get the luster back! I 'd need t see larger pictures of this boat ,but a ball park shot would $3500 US (Pure Guess). :eek:

. . 3500US is very close to what the guy is asking . . . my "budget" . . hmm . . I don't want to spend more than 10k Can$ if I don't have to . . so that's something about 8500US (but if I can get away with less . . even better) . . I couldn't test it on water . . but mechanically is it in ok condition as far as I can tell . . :D

rodltg2
02-03-2006, 11:32 PM
i think your on the right track . old mc's hold value well. like jimbaws says " thru bolt contrustion, foam , fiberglass...." if i were you i would get something i could still use while your fixing it up.

Boogieman
02-03-2006, 11:39 PM
i think your on the right track . old mc's hold value well. like jimbaws says " thru bolt contrustion, foam , fiberglass...." if i were you i would get something i could still use while your fixing it up.

up here, the season doesn't start for another 3 months . . so a LOT of time to fix things . . :)

rodltg2
02-03-2006, 11:42 PM
whats the closest large US city you are close too?

erkoehler
02-03-2006, 11:45 PM
I would make sure I saw the boat run through the water before I bought it. If it doesn't run, it doesn't deserve that price.

Boogieman
02-03-2006, 11:54 PM
whats the closest large US city you are close too?

i guess Great Falls MT . . if this counts as a "large city" . . :D . . why?

rodltg2
02-04-2006, 12:08 AM
i was going to say to check craigslist.com , but there isnt much listed in your area.

Maristar210
02-04-2006, 12:12 AM
Boogie,

These things snowball after you buy them. Trust me I have the PayPal account to prove it. Ask yourself....

1.) Is the motor, tranny, rudder, shaft, seals other sound?

If so $1500-$2500. Assuming the rest is crap.

2.) If the hull is decent that adds much more.

3.) the easiest thing to replace in a boat is the interior, carpet and upholstery.

You need to share more pictures or descriptions but so far I would run and I love ANY project (as a challenge)

Good Luck Dude....

Steve

Boogieman
02-04-2006, 12:50 AM
thanks all you guys for your opinions. . . .

I made a really low offer :D . . so i gonna wait now . . and look around for another one . . . :rolleyes:
but I still hope that I gonna get it . . . :)

edit: I keep you posted . . ;)

Boogieman
02-07-2006, 09:40 PM
ok . . it looks like the deal is gonna go through :D . . . I can't wait . . .

now . . . somebody said I shouldn't paint it . . why not? . . is painting a mastercraft something you shouldn't do?? . . . :confused: . . . I have no expirience with gelcoat . . . :(

erkoehler
02-07-2006, 09:44 PM
ok . . it looks like I gonna get it :D . . . I can't wait . . .

now . . . somebody said i shouldn't paint it . . why not? . . is painting a mastercraft something you shouldn't do?? . . . :confused: . . . I have no expirience with gelcoat . . . :(

Paint and Mastercraft do not go together EVER! :mad:

You can have the boat wet sanded to bring out the shine, or you can just buff it if it isn't that bad. If you paint the bottom of the boat, it will loose some of its performance characteristics, meaning it won't be as fast on the top end or out of the hole, and it won't handle as well.

Do you have any more pictures?

André
02-07-2006, 09:51 PM
If you paint the bottom of the boat, it will loose some of its performance characteristics, meaning it won't be as fast on the top end or out of the hole, and it won't handle as well.
Not true ! :rolleyes:
My 94 has been repaint,still doing its 44 mph,handles like a charm and get out of the hole like any other gelcoat hull.
Farmer,get the shampoo for erk! 8p

Boogieman
02-07-2006, 09:54 PM

You can have the boat wet sanded to bring out the shine, or you can just buff it if it isn't that bad. If you paint the bottom of the boat, it will loose some of its performance characteristics, meaning it won't be as fast on the top end or out of the hole, and it won't handle as well.

Do you have any more pictures?

hmm . . my 96'PS was painted on the bottom to keep the algae away from the hull . . . it was sitting in the lake the whole summer . . . I never had any performance or handling problems . . .

pics are coming soon! :D

Boogieman
02-07-2006, 09:55 PM
Not true ! :rolleyes:
My 94 has been repaint,still doing its 44 mph,handles like a charm and get out of the hole like any other gelcoat hull.
Farmer,get the shampoo for erk! 8p

so . .. why did you repaint it? . . . gelcoat was bad?

André
02-07-2006, 10:04 PM
so . .. why did you repaint it? . . . gelcoat was bad?
Blisters.Was done by the previous owner ,a professional fiberglass and gel repairs guy.Painted with DuPont Imron,was told that's more waterproof then gel and less expensive.400 hrs since repain,no problems.
I DO keep my boat on a lift.

Brent
02-07-2006, 11:06 PM
aquaskier.com/articles/gel_coat_repair.htm

Boogieman
02-07-2006, 11:11 PM
aquaskier.com/articles/gel_coat_repair.htm

thanks a lot . . . great Link!!

Leroy
02-07-2006, 11:36 PM
Great going Boogieman! Post some pics when you get a chance, you know you can get a lot of help from here.

6ballsisall
02-08-2006, 12:16 AM

Dude you'll rethink that statement once you see Jeremy's boat at Mag Fest :headbang: :headbang:

erkoehler
02-08-2006, 12:45 AM
Dude you'll rethink that statement once you see Jeremy's boat at Mag Fest :headbang: :headbang:

Special circumstances!

You can't just "paint" a Mastercraft....Jeremy's boat is a work of art :worthy:

LakePirate
02-08-2006, 01:05 AM
Boogie

I basically rebuilt my Tristar last winter, let me know if you have any questions. To get her in top working order should be less than 2 grand u.s. There are no skins to buy so find your self a good upholstery shop and you should be fine.

AirJunky
02-08-2006, 01:39 AM
Painted inboards aren't that unusual. Especially older ones, boats used in salt water, or boats that never get taken out of the water.
It's not that much different than painting a Corvette or any other fiberglass. Prep it right & they will last a long time & perform like they were brand new!
http://airjunky.com/traxxed/bluenaitique.jpg

fresh pizza guy
09-11-2006, 10:15 PM
how would i go about getting a whindshield similar to the one above (instead of a 5pc with a frame) for a tristar? do then even make them with a walk thru?