PDA

View Full Version : Beat a dead horse: 91-94 Prostar 190 Decals

TonyB
02-03-2006, 03:39 PM
I've done a complete search for info on getting replacement decals for the 91-94 Prostar 190 decals that are on the aft sides of my Prostar.

There has been lots and lots of discussion on this site concerning these decals but I could never find anyone who ever achieved any resolution (I even contributed regarding a company called edecalsdirect.com -- the decals I paid almost $50 for from edecals were small car window stickers -- didn't even kiss me).

Anyone? Anyone at all?

Once upon a time, Milkmania posted some jpeg files for downloading but the hosting site is now 404. My current decals are too faded to be photographed well.

Has anyone found a source? No? Does anyone have a digital image that I could take to a local signmaker?

Thanks for anything.

BrianM
02-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Have you tried calling Rambo Marine. They seem to have lots of stock on many older decals.

jrcarte78
02-03-2006, 04:16 PM
I've done a complete search for info on getting replacement decals for the 91-94 Prostar 190 decals that are on the aft sides of my Prostar.

There has been lots and lots of discussion on this site concerning these decals but I could never find anyone who ever achieved any resolution (I even contributed regarding a company called edecalsdirect.com -- the decals I paid almost $50 for from edecals were small car window stickers -- didn't even kiss me).

Anyone? Anyone at all?

Once upon a time, Milkmania posted some jpeg files for downloading but the hosting site is now 404. My current decals are too faded to be photographed well.

Has anyone found a source? No? Does anyone have a digital image that I could take to a local signmaker?

Thanks for anything.

PM me w/ your e mail and I'll send you a file that Danimal had sent to me. I'm not sure if it's the right logo though. I believe the document I have has the decals from the late 90's PS.

TonyB
02-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Have you tried calling Rambo Marine. They seem to have lots of stock on many older decals.

Rambo is just a short drive up the highway from where I work in Huntsville. I visit often. They have everything but the Prostar 190 decals.

They aren't available from a dealer as far as I can discern from my inquiries (and my searching on this site.)

TonyB
02-03-2006, 05:13 PM
PM me w/ your e mail and I'll send you a file that Danimal had sent to me. I'm not sure if it's the right logo though. I believe the document I have has the decals from the late 90's PS.

I believe they Prostar 190 decals changed in 95 but it's definitely worth a look. I PMed you.

Here is a link to edecals that has the correct image (1st image on second row).

http://www.edecalsdirect.com/mastercraft.htm

However these are car window stickers, not full size die cut vinyl decals.

Thanks.

BrianM
02-03-2006, 05:29 PM
Why don't you just print the image off of tht site and take it to a local sign shop with the dimensions. They should be able to easly make you a set.

TonyB
02-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Why don't you just print the image off of tht site and take it to a local sign shop with the dimensions. They should be able to easly make you a set.

Did you take a look at the resolution of the graphic?

Nowhere near the resolution needed to make suitable decals.

Danimal
02-03-2006, 08:01 PM
I have the Illustrator file that you can take to any sign shop. It is for late 80's early 90's. Is this what you are looking for??

Danimal
02-03-2006, 08:05 PM
By the way... 87MC Dave is the gentelman that put all the work into this file. He provided a great service to those of us that were in need of replacement decals that MC no longer stocks.

SKI*MC
02-03-2006, 08:19 PM
I know the font that is closest to the actual font, is Hemihead 426.

Hoosier Bob
02-03-2006, 09:37 PM
I purchased a set through my local dealer and they were cheap. I believe there are some threads that Jim @ BAWS has responded to that include your/our decals. :D

milkmania
02-03-2006, 09:54 PM

Thanks for anything.

*here's your dead horse....
*I did close that web space.
*87 MC Dave is the one that deserves credit for these.

Note1:
the images became dithered when I converted screen shot to JPEG format to post here, but the images are very defined and sizable when you use a program like Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw10

Note2:
These images are not like the ones on my '91 PS190.... I have "190" in place of where the boat is below...... my PROSTAR is not connected at the R and the S like the one below.

Note3:
I used the colors dislayed, just to show detail......the zipped files are uncolored.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/PS190.jpg

if you can use mine, hollar, but I think someone else has already hooked you up

milkmania
02-03-2006, 09:55 PM
I purchased a set through my local dealer and they were cheap. I believe there are some threads that Jim @ BAWS has responded to that include your/our decals. :D

I would like to talk to your local dealer.............. come on man, scratch my backhttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/listen2.gif

erkoehler
02-03-2006, 09:57 PM
In regards to decals, does anybody know a shop that would make me a all caps MASTERCRAFT decal that is 3-4 feet long and the letters are atleast 5-6 inches high????

I want to put a decal across the front windshield of the boat :D , but I can't find a decal big enough. :mad:

Also, how much would something like that cost? :confused:

milkmania
02-03-2006, 10:00 PM
In regards to decals, does anybody know a shop that would make me a all caps MASTERCRAFT decal that is 3-4 feet long and the letters are atleast 5-6 inches high????

I want to put a decal across the front windshield of the boat :D , but I can't find a decal big enough. :mad:

dude, I could do that in a heart beat, with Microsoft Word, some clear contact paper, and an X-Acto knife..... I make a lot of my signs like that..... but, I spray paint my letters in once I get my stencil made

Danimal
02-03-2006, 10:06 PM
These images are not like the ones on my '91 PS190.... I have "190" in place of where the boat is below...... my PROSTAR is not connected at the R and the S like the one below.

Milk...I stand corrected... For some reason I was under the impression that this design went through 91. It appears as though you have the same file as I do from Dave.

If the artist at work ever gets the time I am having her use this file and customize it for the members on here that have TriStars. I just received a small file of the TriStar logo with the stars from J.R. but I'm not sure if she can use them. I'll keep all the TriStar owners updated.

erkoehler
02-03-2006, 10:10 PM
dude, I could do that in a heart beat, with Microsoft Word, some clear contact paper, and an X-Acto knife..... I make a lot of my signs like that..... but, I spray paint my letters in once I get my stencil made

So, print out the letters, lay the stencil over the contact paper, spray paint it, and then cut out the contact paper once the paint is dried?

milkmania
02-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Milk...I stand corrected... For some reason I was under the impression that this design we through 91. It appears as though you have the same file as I do from Dave.

If the artist at work ever gets the time I am having her use this file and customize it for the members on here that have TriStars. I just received a small file of the TriStar logo with the stars from J.R. but I'm not sure if she can use them. I'll keep all the TriStar owners updated.

I had a guy make me some last year, that I used on my boat....

let me dig around a second, and I'll post the screen shots

Hoosier Bob
02-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Mike at PINECREST MARINE #317-579-2628. I do believe Jim at BAWS said he could get them as well. Thanks again for the SKANK! You do not know what it meant to me! :D I would like to talk to your local dealer.............. come on man, scratch my backhttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/listen2.gif

Hoosier Bob
02-03-2006, 10:21 PM
Uh, Erk I think you can get those at the hardware store! :D In regards to decals, does anybody know a shop that would make me a all caps MASTERCRAFT decal that is 3-4 feet long and the letters are atleast 5-6 inches high????

milkmania
02-03-2006, 10:35 PM
Mike at PINECREST MARINE #317-579-2628. I do believe Jim at BAWS said he could get them as well. Thanks again for the SKANK! You do not know what it meant to me! :D

thanks,

The MC dealers around here..... #1 @ 100 miles distance, and #2 @ 200 miles distance from me seem like I'm bothering them when I try to talk to them about a 1991 boat:rolleyes:

but hey, the are Arkansans, so what can I expect:purplaugh

sidenote,

the decals pics I took are on a CD in a truck that I don't have access to at the moment......
although I like the way they turned out, I need to try something different next time..... Die Cut Labels for the medallion and Prostar 190 are not the way to go.....

there are too many small pieces that can get washed off.... my Prostar 190 labels had tiny horizontal slices in the lettering, and the medallion's horizontal lines are too small for good adhesion.
A screen printed decal or something of that nature might be something to look into. Like white printing on clear label.... that's the way my originals were.

Hoosier Bob
02-03-2006, 10:43 PM
My decals came in rolls and looked fair when put on. After a couple of weeks they looked great! I used a hair dryer to heat the decals and they went on great but with tiny bubbles. I figured they were good enough but not as sound as the originals. They somehow cleared of all bubbles and looked perfect after a couple of days! :D

milkmania
02-03-2006, 10:48 PM
My decals came in rolls and looked fair when put on. After a couple of weeks they looked great! I used a hair dryer to heat the decals and they went on great but with tiny bubbles. I figured they were good enough but not as sound as the originals. They somehow cleared of all bubbles and looked perfect after a couple of days! :D

that reminds me....I had my suburban's windows tinted..... two different technicians on each side...... one looked great from the shop, the other one looked like ****.....called them on the drive home and they said the sunlight would make the bubbles disappear.....I said "are you sure, I've never seen bubbles THIS bad?". she was right....sure suprised the heck out of me.

Danimal
02-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Yeah, we do a lot of lettering of vehicles at work and the bubbles will dissapate from time and heat. The decals on my rear side windows had a few bubbles but soon disappeared.

bbrepair
02-04-2006, 12:17 AM
call precision art,they made the originals.865-983-2309,donnie

milkmania
02-04-2006, 12:57 AM

noted

I will be on the phone monday morning!

I see by a google search, that area code's in Tennessee....
so 8:00 here is 9:00 there, I think:confused:

thanks for the heads up:)

TonyB
02-04-2006, 01:47 AM
Thanks all for trying to help.

This is the decal I'm looking for.

Note the graduated thickness to the lines in the word "Prostar" and in the star 190 graphic.

Does anyone have a better pic than this?

bbrepair, your reference to precision art making the originals; are saying that they created the design and and provided production of the decal below?

I hope no one takes offense but I'm beginning to feel like everyone is talking past me and this thread is getting away my original question.

One thread that I recall Jim@BAWS claiming to have the Prostar decals was for the 95 model but I will check again.

Also, upon further research, I've come to believe that this particular decal was found only on the 1991-92 Prostar 190's. It was gone by 1993.

milkmania
02-04-2006, 02:19 AM
Identical to mine!

I'll get my cd back soon, there's excellent pictures in there of my decals with a scaled ruler.

Note the graduated thickness to the lines in the word "Prostar" and in the star 190 graphic.

bbrepair, your reference to precision art making the originals; are saying that they created the design and and provided production of the decal below?

I hope no one takes offense but I'm beginning to feel like everyone is talking past me and this thread is getting away my original question.

One thread that I recall Jim@BAWS claiming to have the Prostar decals was for the 95 model but I will check again.

Also, upon further research, I've come to believe that this particular decal was found only on the 1991-92 Prostar 190's. It was gone by 1993.

erkoehler
02-04-2006, 02:21 AM

Sorry if the thread got off track....

If there is a dealer that is going to have them or be able to get them for you, it will either be Jim@BAWS or MYMC.

Best of luck.

TonyB
02-04-2006, 02:52 AM
Identical to mine!

I'll get my cd back soon, there's excellent pictures in there of my decals with a scaled ruler.

That's exactly what I remember and I thought I downloaded them when you posted them, however, I've searched my work and home computer with no luck at all.

I know you also sent them to edecalsdirect.com. Did you ever hear back from them?

What do you have on your 91 at the present time?

milkmania
02-04-2006, 03:49 AM
before:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/boat01.jpg

after:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/DSCF1692.jpg

close-up:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/DSCF1695.jpg

like I said earlier, I'm not happy with the die cut decals, because the smaller white pieces can be washed off if not cautious.

I finally found a few on the hard drive

Danimal
02-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Man... MasterCraft sure changed designs a lot!

If I had the artwork I could reproduce those decals with one of our new products called liquid vinyl. It's a really cool technique that uses no substrate to print on. The ink becomes the decal. The biggest problem is that it would be cost prohibitve to produce "one-offs".

Maybe I should be talking directly to MasterCraft. :rolleyes:

TMCNo1
02-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Milk, one thing that really helps in keeping the Die or Computer cut decal with small pieces on, is ALWAYS clean surface with alcohol before applying, there is something about alcohol other cleaning solutions are lacking.
Also try to have a couple extra decals to use as spares that you can steal pieces from if there is a piece that would come off for some reason. This may be anal, but i ordered our '89 with 2 extra complete sets of decals as spares and over the next couple years collected, purchased, etc. from my dealer and MC, and now i have 4 complete sets+ in both colors for what ever i want to use them for, plus, that can always add to the resale value when i sell this easter egg. Additionally, I have the original decals so if i ever have to reproduce any at a vinyl sign shop, the reproductions will be EXACT in size and color...................later

TonyB
02-04-2006, 12:50 PM
like I said earlier, I'm not happy with the die cut decals, because the smaller white pieces can be washed off if not cautious.

The original decals (Prostar text and Star 190 )are screenprinted onto a single pieces of die cut vinyl.

The vinyl itself appears to be color-matched to the boat and the white is screenprinted after.

milkmania
02-04-2006, 01:04 PM
The original decals (Prostar text and Star 190 )are screenprinted onto a single pieces of die cut vinyl.

The vinyl itself appears to be color-matched to the boat and the white is screenprinted after.

when we compounded the gel-coat, the white lettering buffed away leaving a clear vinyl we peeled off, taking no care in buffing the original decals, as we knew we were replacing with new vinyl die-dut decals.

I've got the CD that's got all the images I had posted before, I've zipped them along with the HemiHead 426 True Type font....

it's 29.6 mb, hollar if you want me to e-mail them to you.

milkmania

TonyB
02-05-2006, 12:19 AM
I've got the CD that's got all the images I had posted before, I've zipped them along with the HemiHead 426 True Type font....

milkmania

That would be great. I've PMed you.

Thanks.

milkmania
02-05-2006, 12:25 AM
sending now

TonyB
02-05-2006, 12:41 AM
danke schön

DooSPX
02-09-2006, 11:25 AM

milkmania

could you shoot those over to jlord8201@earthlink.net

thanks alot man!! not sure on the prostar, but the 190 looks great!!! :smile: :worthy:

milkmania
02-10-2006, 12:06 PM

that's proving to be a very promising lead:worthy:

UPDATE:

I apologize, but I'm having a lot of difficulty e-mailing the file......it's 29.6 mb, and my ISP and Outlook program are just crapping out on me and giving me a lot of errors:(

The last time I uploaded those to a little bit of webspace that I had, but have since released.

I did speak to Joy Love ( I just love that name:love: ) at Precision Art this morning, and she said they did the decals in 91 for MasterCraft, and if I could get her the information on which boat and what decals I needed, she'd have her graphics artist get a quote.
I explained the problems I was having with "die cut" decals and she confirmed that their decals would be "screen printed" just like the originals.

so, right now I'm creating a zipped file with the 91 PS190 originals and sending it to jvpap@bellsouth.net to get a quote......

and I'll let them know that there may be several interested in this design along with other year models.

TonyB
02-10-2006, 12:45 PM
You rock dude!

milkmania
02-10-2006, 01:14 PM
You rock dude!

you can't imagine how bad I want these labels.....

my ISP crapped out on just trying to send just a few of my images to Precision Art, so I uploaded them and explained if they needed any of them in full size, I'd mail them individually.

Photobucket Example: Original PS190_1 is 4048 x 3040 or 4.92mb but the website reduced it to 498 x 374 or 131kb. (Greatly reducing the detail)

One of the medallion images listed is a die cut label. I’ve noted that on the image.

Image 1: http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/190.jpg

Image 2: http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/boat03.jpg

Image 3: http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/DSCF1694.jpg

Image 4: http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/PS190_1.jpg

Image 5: http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/PS190_3.jpg

Image 6: http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/PS190_4.jpg

east tx skier
02-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Yes, gone by 93. From my conversations with Lex at Rambo, the 93--94 decal is MIA.

If anyone can locate this one as well, i.e., 93--94 ("Prostar 205") aft decal, I'd be a happy dude.

Erk, you can get those big MC decals from the proshop I think.

milkmania
02-15-2006, 01:23 PM
Yes, gone by 93. From my conversations with Lex at Rambo, the 93--94 decal is MIA.

If anyone can locate this one as well, i.e., 93--94 ("Prostar 205") aft decal, I'd be a happy dude.

Erk, you can get those big MC decals from the proshop I think.

looks like Jim@BAWS just may make you a happy dude!

dang, that just don't sound right:(

east tx skier
02-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Just asked the pertinent question on that thread.

milkmania
02-15-2006, 01:27 PM
Just asked the pertinent question on that thread.

LOL, you were one of the first ones I thought of..... after myself of course:)

TonyB
03-10-2006, 11:30 PM
Well, I decided to purchase a drawing program and convert the jpg files (that milkmania so kindly provided me) to vector format. That seems to be the preferable format for sign makers.

The Prostar with the star graphic is done. If you would like a copy, let me know. I can export to various vector formats including Adobe Illustrated for the Mac or Windows.

Below is a jpeg rendition of the vector (infinitely scalable) file.

LKGman
09-07-2012, 02:56 PM
I just had these made last week by Iguana Graphics Service. These are single decals, not cut vinyl.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a2d726b3127ccef15bfd9456c200000030O08AYtGzJy3buA e3nwg/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

putman91
09-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Not sure when this posted or if I am beating a dead horse but I just bought a 91 190 prostar earlier this summer and the decals had been removed. Jim at BAWS was able to get me the identifier stickers just like the originals they seem very similar to yours. Give Jim a call. I posted before and after pictures under a decals make the difference post.:D

LKGman
09-28-2012, 11:40 PM
The above mentioned supplier can make as many as anyone wants now, in any color, and they are exact.