PDA

View Full Version : Boat Operator License...Yes or No.

M-Funf
02-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Discussion came up while talking with the Sheriff from the lake.

Should boat operators be required to take written, practical, or no tests at all to be issued a boat operators license?

rodltg2
02-03-2006, 02:33 PM
it would be a hassle, but in the long run cut down on the idiots out there.

bobbyB
02-03-2006, 02:51 PM
And have an extended test for the idiots on the PWC's.

ski_500
02-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Having a license with out a test is just another "tax".
Besides, making some of these clueless boaters study for a test might just increase the awareness and safety on the public waters.

jeverett
02-03-2006, 03:37 PM
it would be a hassle, but in the long run cut down on the idiots out there.
Here in Oregon it is required. And there are still idiots out there, especially the lake maggots (i.e. waverunners).

G-man
02-03-2006, 03:52 PM
In Texas it seems the test is do you have a check book and whats your credit score.

AirJunky
02-03-2006, 03:59 PM
I think a boater's license with a test about the same difficulty as the motorcycle endorsement would cut down on the stupid boaters accidents.

RackAtak
02-03-2006, 04:17 PM
If everybody was proficient at trailer backing and launching/loading just think how boring the wait at the ramp would be. Sometimes the best part of the day is being at the ramp watching the antics!

Even if everyone was good at it there would still be a line so you might as well be amused while you wait.

erkoehler
02-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Written test, a practical exam would be too costly, and you wouldn't be able to cover as much material.

JEREMY79
02-03-2006, 05:44 PM
I dont ever get to see the idiots or wait in a line over about three trucks. But I think a test on skills would be effective

rodltg2
02-03-2006, 05:47 PM
If everybody was proficient at trailer backing and launching/loading just think how boring the wait at the ramp would be. Sometimes the best part of the day is being at the ramp watching the antics!

Even if everyone was good at it there would still be a line so you might as well be amused while you wait.

ive had some fun days people watching at the ramp watching . the all time favorite is when someone forgets to raise their out drive.

Rockman
02-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Sorry,

Didn't read the thread first. I answered No Test at All...I thought it was asking what each one of us had? Sorry!

I think the written and on water test are necessary. Too many Wally's on the water today.

MarkP
02-03-2006, 06:53 PM
I think the written and driver test would be great. Anything having to do with the trailer should be regulated by the DMV.

bobbyB
02-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Like the time my buddy decided to mess with the crank while the boat was still at the top of the ramp. Handle came around and whacked him in the back of the hand and the next thing he knows boat is half off the trailer with it's nose sticking in the air. :eek:

SKI*MC
02-03-2006, 07:27 PM
I took the test and passed with one of the highest grades in the class. I think everyone should go through with it. Maybe I am just saying this because WAY to many idiots on jetskis pi$$ed me off on the water.

Jerseydave
02-03-2006, 08:15 PM
In NJ you need 6-8 hours of classroom to get your "boaters safety card" to operate a PWC, same to operate a boat if you were born after 1979. Soon it will be manditory for ALL BOAT OPERATORS!
I believe this is a very good thing, as it has already cut down on the amount of jet-skiers and it should weed-out the idiots in boats in the future.
When I had my perf. boat, some of those operators cannot handle the high speeds (75+ mph) and should have to pass some kind of training on speed boats!

milkmania
02-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Sorry,

Didn't read the thread first. I answered No Test at All...I thought it was asking what each one of us had? Sorry!

and this folks.........

Is why tests should be mandatoryhttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/tantrum.gif:rant:http://deephousepage.com/smilies/tantrum.gif

Rockman,
just crackin' on yahttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/itsokay.gif

roddydog
02-03-2006, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE=milkmania]and this folks.........

Easy!!! Milkman :) Why so Angry :mad:

erkoehler
02-03-2006, 08:31 PM
I think they should start to make it mandatory for PWC operators to pass a test, and also for boats. However, at this point they can't use 1979 as the drop dead date for needing a license. It would have to be so that the date was equivalent to the the era that is getting their licenses.... :confused:

roddydog
02-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Written test only for now and you have to get 27 of 36 (or for those math wizards 75% right).
They are all multiple guess and if there is a brain on your body I think you can do it. It's all BS right now, most questions are so simple it really doesn't do anything to weed out the morons,

roddydog
02-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Also, ANYONE can captain (like that?) a 9.9 HP with NO license.