PDA

View Full Version : Driver Certification

pilot02
02-03-2006, 11:23 AM
I know there have to be a few USAwaterski certified drivers here. What's the current process and benefits? I saw that a couple clinics are being held in FL but no info as to contents, etc.

LakePirate
02-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Pilot you don't have to be certified to get me out of the house to ski with you guys. :D

I am not sure of the process or benefits but it would be interesting to know.

erkoehler
02-03-2006, 11:48 AM
You have to be certified as a driver to drive for ALL ski shows now and also for tournaments.

You have to find a certified driver to "train" you along with attend classes. Additionally, you need to do a practical test.

skisix@38
02-03-2006, 02:04 PM
To drive in a C, R, L or E class tournament you have to be certified. Certification requires that you demonstrate the ability to perform some essential tasks like gas a boat and put it on a trailer. Additionally a person has to attend a drivers clinic where you watch a video of driving slalom, jump and trick. Then you talk about driving with other driver candidates or re-newing drivers. The idea here is for the more senior drivers to share their good and bad experiences so that newer drivers can proceed up the learning curve. Then you have a lake test where a senior driver sits in the boat with you while you drive a number of skiers and he ranks your driving in terms of how far off from the center of the course you were and how far off from actual times you were. If you are fairly close on both you pass and then are rated as "assistant". A driver can become a "regular" by testing closer to actuals (path and times) and taking another test. You then have to drive in at least 2 tournaments per season and re-test every two years.

Benefits: Drivers get to hear mostly how they should have done better then he/she did. Every once in a while a skier does great and smiles at the end of the course and says "thanks, that's my personal best". Those are good days and seem to be few and far between. If enough people ski well when you are at the controls word gets out and people start wanting you to drive their division. It's all volunteer, no pay.

pilot02
02-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Pilot you don't have to be certified to get me out of the house to ski with you guys. :D

I am not sure of the process or benefits but it would be interesting to know.

I HEAR YA!!! :guitar:

Thought about trying to ski today while it's nice but can't get out of work early enough :(

pilot02
02-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Thanks, skisix, that's what I thought but wanted to check. I'd still like to get certified but I don't ever see any certification coursed taught in the Atlanta area.

LakePirate
02-03-2006, 03:02 PM
I HEAR YA!!! :guitar:

Thought about trying to ski today while it's nice but can't get out of work early enough :(

It is 70 here...but there is a threat of rain.

pilot02
02-03-2006, 03:59 PM
It is 70 here...but there is a threat of rain.

I know, 65 here and tomorrow's going to be cold again. :(

skisix@38
02-03-2006, 04:01 PM
Thanks, skisix, that's what I thought but wanted to check. I'd still like to get certified but I don't ever see any certification coursed taught in the Atlanta area.

Go to a tournament and ask the drivers there. The clinics seem to not be very well advertised. Very much a "good 'ol boys club", at least in my area.

The kids are the most fun to drive!

AirJunky
02-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Organizers of the F tournaments (Fly-ins) are required to have 1 driver on hand & he's supposed to have a little briefing with all the boat drivers to go over safety items.
Check with USA Waterski & tell them you are looking for certification clinics in your area. There is a Fly-in in GA & they got certified somehow so I'm bettin there is a cert clinic nearby.

TonyB
02-03-2006, 04:34 PM
I know there have to be a few USAwaterski certified drivers here. What's the current process and benefits? I saw that a couple clinics are being held in FL but no info as to contents, etc.

What to do if you aspire to be an Assistant Driver.

http://www.usawaterski.org/pages/divisions/3event/AWSAOfficialsDevelopDescrip.pdf

The application.

http://www.usawaterski.org/pages/divisions/3event/AsstDrvrApp.pdf