PDA

View Full Version : 80's S & S Open Bow?

T5_Comp
02-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Just curious if anyone has made an open bow from an 80's Star & Stripes? If so, any pics?

Not that I would consider such a project, I'm just wondering if it's been done.

88 PS190
02-02-2006, 03:08 PM
yish, where would you put any of your stuff?

T5_Comp
02-02-2006, 03:35 PM
In the cargo trunk behind the rear seat? :rolleyes: I suppose if someone were handy enough to convert a closed bow S & S to an open bow, they could also create a rear cargo trunk as well.

Awhile back, I ran across a "how to" article about a guy who did this to a Malibu closed bow, and the results looked pretty sweet. I like the mid-80's Stars & Stripes and was just curious of anyone has attempted this modification.

ski_king
02-02-2006, 03:39 PM
The area behind the rear seat is where the gas tank is, not much extra room. Also the old S&S's are only 80 in. wide.

I had a photo on here I photoshopped, but it has been lost.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=826&page=1&pp=10&highlight=open+conversion

88 PS190
02-02-2006, 03:55 PM
This is how you'd do it, you'd measure mark and cut out the fiberglass, then round the edges a bit, and build out the seating, get covers made. Re route the blower hosing and such (if applicable) and perhaps the wiring for the bow light.

I just think in the end it won't add much space.

Kevin 89MC
02-02-2006, 04:17 PM
I have thought about this recently. My daughters love to sit up front on open bow boats, and it would be nice to ski when there are more than 3 people in the boat without taking anybody's head off! If I had the time and garage space, I might give it a shot. I'm guessing it wouldn't affect structural rigidity, but a windshield brace of some sort would likely be needed to keep it from breaking, as everyone would put their hand on it when climbing over. The problems I see: not much room up there (but better than nothing, and plenty for young kids), reduced storage space, and potential trouble (or less value) in resale. That last one probably concerns me the most. I think I'll just wait until I can afford to upgrade to a 197!

erkoehler
02-02-2006, 04:21 PM
I have thought about this recently. My daughters love to sit up front on open bow boats, and it would be nice to ski when there are more than 3 people in the boat without taking anybody's head off! If I had the time and garage space, I might give it a shot. I'm guessing it wouldn't affect structural rigidity, but a windshield brace of some sort would likely be needed to keep it from breaking, as everyone would put their hand on it when climbing over. The problems I see: not much room up there (but better than nothing, and plenty for young kids), reduced storage space, and potential trouble (or less value) in resale. That last one probably concerns me the most. I think I'll just wait until I can afford to upgrade to a 197!

Nobody is going to want a boat after you cut the bow out of it....or they'll want it REALLY cheap. There is just too much risk associated with the craftmanship involved.

I too read the thread about the Malibu Response that someone did that too, but that was a much NEWER boat, and had the space to accomodate such a modification.

6ballsisall
02-02-2006, 11:26 PM
I thought about doing this with my 86'. One thing stopped me: Have you ridden in a boat of this year? They sit WAY to nose deep for it. One minor wave head on with someone up front and the captains going down with the ship

88 PS190
02-02-2006, 11:56 PM
make it auto bailing. lol, it'd be like being in a jet boat.

Could help when you take a wave over the bow, won't splash straight into your laps

Ryan
02-03-2006, 02:48 AM
Nobody is going to want a boat after you cut the bow out of it....or they'll want it REALLY cheap. There is just too much risk associated with the craftmanship involved.

I too read the thread about the Malibu Response that someone did that too, but that was a much NEWER boat, and had the space to accomodate such a modification.

That's Jason's boat (http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=120) over on Wakesiderides that did that. He basically converted his boat to an open bow Rlx. You'd think it came that way from the factory!

Thing is that's a model that actually exists and has a five piece opening windshield to walk through. I could see doing it to a 190 Tristar or any boat where the closed bow is the basically the same boat, where it would at least look similar. I think the depth of an 80s 190 bow isn't deep enough for legroom for anyone over 5 in a forward facing configuration.

http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11672&hl=closed+bow+conversion

bucky
02-03-2006, 04:10 AM
I've taken wakes over the bow of my '01 190 that soaked me over the windshield. I wouldn't want a boat that I knew would dive the first time I screwed up (usually within 60 seconds of turning the ignition key :D ).

I thought about doing this with my 86'. One thing stopped me: Have you ridden in a boat of this year? They sit WAY to nose deep for it. One minor wave head on with someone up front and the captains going down with the ship

JEREMY79
02-03-2006, 06:25 AM
too nose down. at least mine is anyway. One little slip up and its over.