PDA

View Full Version : New Depthfinder?

wesgardner
09-15-2004, 09:24 AM
Hey All,

My Humminbird depth finder is no longer made :( I believe it was either a factory standard unit or something that dealers installed but either way, it's dead. The unit is a small surface mounted rectangular box about 2 1/2" x 3" x 1" thick.

I'm not sure what my options are - I've looked at a myriad of fishfinder-style units that I guess might be OK, I've seen the round panel-mounted units but don't really have a place to cut one in...

Any recommendations/web sites ?

Wes

H20skeefreek
09-15-2004, 10:13 AM
Wes, were you able to find out a humminbird part#? I work for West Marine, i may be able to find one for you.

wesgardner
09-15-2004, 11:16 AM
I e-mailed Humminbird and they told me my unit was no longer made and gave me a "trade-in" sheet listing some units they currently make and the prices - they are mostly fishfinders...they told me they thought my unit was a HDR 400..

Thanks in advance for any help...

Wes

H20skeefreek
09-15-2004, 11:18 AM
just becuase they don't make it anymore, doesn't mean one can't still be gotten. If you want to get the same one, i'm more than willing to help you run one down. I can't make any gaurantees, but I can try. Just need a humminbird model number.

TalleyHo
09-21-2004, 12:17 AM
Let me suggest you stay away from any 'thru' hull transducers. Mine was dealer installed upon purchase and it rarely works in even slightly rough water, or when I'm cruising over 25 MPH. It was a complete waste of $300. I've *****ed and moaned to the dealer, and even to our local rep, and even here. I've gotten so beat down over the whole thing that I just don't have the energy to pursue it anymore.

As ugly as it might be, seriously consider a 'transom' mount transducer. Going thru hull, at least in the 03 X2 is pathetic. Good luck.

MasterCrafting
09-21-2004, 12:48 AM
Our thru hull works fine, no problem...ps190

timandjesi
09-21-2004, 07:29 AM
This may be taboo to mention, but the Bu' I just traded (for an 05 X-2) had a thru-hull transducer I put in it. It was a hummingbird model and it worked just fine. I am not sure where you dealer installed the tranducer, but as long as it is not directly behind a skag, chine, or intake for the motor/ballast, it should read fine. If is it, I would pry it up and epoxy or silicon it down somewhere else. By the way, there is a long discussion on one of the other boards about if you should epoxy or silicon down your transducers.

H20skeefreek
09-21-2004, 07:49 AM
This may be taboo to mention, but the Bu' I just traded (for an 05 X-2) had a thru-hull transducer I put in it. It was a hummingbird model and it worked just fine. I am not sure where you dealer installed the tranducer, but as long as it is not directly behind a skag, chine, or intake for the motor/ballast, it should read fine. If is it, I would pry it up and epoxy or silicon it down somewhere else. By the way, there is a long discussion on one of the other boards about if you should epoxy or silicon down your transducers.

and I believe the way to go is an "in-hull" tranducer rather than a "thru-hull". the problem with a thru is that if you get the transducer in the wrong place, which is normally the problem if it won't read at speed, you cannot move it.

before drilling or epoxying your tranducer down, you should always: place the tranducer in a ziplock back filled with water, then duct tape it down where you think you want it, then go out and drive the boat at the speeds you normally would to make sure it will work in the place you put it.

Wes, I'm still willing to try and run a replacement down for you. Call me at 803-750-5034

wesgardner
09-21-2004, 09:20 AM
Hey H2O,

I'm still tryin' to find the time to get down to the boat to see if I can get a part number...I just bought this wreck of a house that's taking up much of my boating/boarding time...with that and running kids to the plethora of sporting events, time kinda goes away...the good news is my boat's just at the end of my pier!

Wes

TalleyHo
09-21-2004, 11:02 PM
I'll have to try that. I haven't pinged it out too much yet, but it is fairly close to the raw water intakes and such. I was considering moving it to near the center plug, but I wasn't sure how much that part of the boat is in the water at cruising speeds.

I'll try the baggie trick, that sounds like a much easier option than building a water box like I've seen suggested before.

sfitzgerald351
09-22-2004, 09:22 PM
Having never had a boat with a depth sounder... why do you need to put it in water in a baggie to see where to mount it?

Do you guys look at yours much? I've never had one and the Mastercraft doesn't draw much water so I've never really been worried. Most of the place I boat you'll hit a random high rock before you hit shallows so I guess I'm not sure of the value.

ski_king
09-22-2004, 09:37 PM
Having never had a boat with a depth sounder... why do you need to put it in water in a baggie to see where to mount it?
The depthfinder will only work when transmiiting thru water. If you just laid the transducer in the bilge, there would be some air between the tranducer and the hull. You would get a poor reading at best. The water in the baggie, or putting in a couple of inches of water in the bilge let you experiment on the best location.

I tend to check the depth a lot. Even though I have been using the same area for years and know iit like the back of my hand, the bottom does change because of floods, dredging, etc.

If you decide to get one, let me know and I will get you a picture of where I located mine on my 82. It works works great.

TalleyHo
09-23-2004, 07:54 PM
I use mine quite often as well -- especially in new places. I like to troll around and check the depth before we ski. Last time we were at the river, I was getting into watching the rider -- I looked down and we were in 4' of water. I felt so lucky we didn't catch a tree or something.

Of course, then at my home lake, I picked up a piece of drift wood in 30' of water, dinged the prop, and took a gash out of the hull above the prop. Damn the luck.

georgea0731
10-11-2004, 11:29 PM
Hey I was at a factory tour a complete weeks ago and took this photo of the bottom of the boat and the puck installed. I hope it helps!

I'm getting ready to buy and install a Lowrance 3500, anyone know of any good deals on one or a website with the best price? I think consumermarine has the best deal so far. Lowrance was the standard DF used by MC in 2003. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

NeilM
10-12-2004, 12:07 PM
On my '02 MariStar, the mounting is on the opposite side, but basically in the same place. It doesn't work too well at speed in deep water... Lowrance says it'll give readings at 60mph. I also use it to 'scout out' the depth in an area of an unfamiliar lake before we ski..

TalleyHo
10-12-2004, 09:43 PM
If it is being installed at the factory, and is epoxied into the hull, you shouldn't have any problems. My friends Malibu, and another friends Chap are built this way and they are rock solid stable. Mine was dealer installed, as a puck in the bilge and it is either in a piss-poor location (as previously griped here), or these types of depth finders just suck. I haven't had the oppurtunity to try some of the suggestions on here to fix it yet. It's worked enough to get me by thus far. Now that winter is approaching, I should have some time to work with it.