PDA

View Full Version : Shave the Rudder?

BrianM
02-01-2006, 05:42 PM
I am seriously considering shaving the rudder a bit on my '97. The steering on the boat is nearly neutral and I would like a little more pull to the right for easier course driving.

So for more pull to the right I would take the file to the trailing edge on the right side of the rudder (looking from the back) correct? Any reason not to do it?

east tx skier
02-01-2006, 05:49 PM
That's right, er uh, correct. Right trailing edge will cause rightward pull (left compensation on driver's part). Having gotten used to it, I wouldn't want a ski boat that didn't pull. Down side is that you have to hang on to the wheel at speed. My wife had trouble with this for a pull or two.

Do a bit, then test. A little goes a long way. The pictured grind that spans the trailing edge requires a correction to about 11 o'clock to the left at speed.

rodltg2
02-01-2006, 05:57 PM
shave alot :D i cant think of any reason not to do it unless you have little ones driving the boat on open water.

BrianM
02-01-2006, 06:06 PM
shave alot :D i cant think of any reason not to do it unless you have little ones driving the boat on open water.

98% of the time in the course. No little ones to drive.

Where's the file?

BrianM
02-01-2006, 06:07 PM
That's right, er uh, correct. Right trailing edge will cause rightward pull (left compensation on driver's part). Having gotten used to it, I wouldn't want a ski boat that didn't pull. Down side is that you have to hang on to the wheel at speed. My wife had trouble with this for a pull or two.

Do a bit, then test. A little goes a long way. The pictured grind that spans the trailing edge requires a correction to about 11 o'clock to the left at speed.

That is really low on the rudder. I wouldn't of thought to do it that far down. I was thinking right were it starts going straight.

east tx skier
02-01-2006, 06:10 PM
That is really low on the rudder. I wouldn't of thought to do it that far down. I was thinking right were it starts going straight.

This wasn't a DIY job on my part. The boat had one previous owner. So he either did it or had it done by the dealership or the factory or otherwise. Whoever did it did a good job as you can hardly tell it's there without looking really close. My guess is not DIY.

I have no idea whether it's altogether necessary to go that low or not.

I know the picture looks like he got a little crazy at the bottom. That's just the lighting. It's as symmetrical as symmetrical can be.

rodltg2
02-01-2006, 06:33 PM
i was lucky and had abot 10 boats at the ski lake to look at before i did mine.

Hoosier Bob
02-01-2006, 06:38 PM
MasterCraft dealers have a handout explaining exactly what to do. You do not need to shave that much I will tell you.

jayderwin1
02-01-2006, 07:34 PM
why do you want the boat to pull? does it compensate for the pull of the skier?

rodltg2
02-01-2006, 07:35 PM
so you can trailer it easier..

Ric
02-01-2006, 07:35 PM
so you can trailer it easier..
no no rod, it makes the boat faster

Hoosier Bob
02-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Yes exactly. You will only compensate in one direction. Boat will turn if you let go!
why do you want the boat to pull? does it compensate for the pull of the skier?

rodltg2
02-01-2006, 08:15 PM
and make it easier to do bat turns :D

rodltg2
02-01-2006, 08:16 PM
actually regradless of the skier, it makes tracking the course much easier. small adjustments are easier when the steering is loaded.

BrianM
02-01-2006, 09:59 PM
MasterCraft dealers have a handout explaining exactly what to do. You do not need to shave that much I will tell you.

Is there actually a bulletin on how to do this? Jim... MyMC.. care to share this with me? It isn't rocket science but I would like to know what it says before I get the file out.

Not willing to make the 2 hour drive to have my nearest dealer do it. Plus I want to be able to make it pull like I want it not the guy working on it. What is the worst that can happen? I shave it too much and have to buy a new rudder?

Currently the boat has just a barely noticable pull but it is almost neutral. Definately want to have the rudder loaded as minor adjustments are easier with the loading. My '88 was just about right.

rodltg2
02-01-2006, 10:01 PM
just do it already. it no big deal, and if you ferk'd up you can always shave the other side.

Hoosier Bob
02-01-2006, 10:35 PM
I have a copy I can fax but am too illiterate to scan. PM and I will fax. :D Is there actually a bulletin on how to do this? Jim... MyMC.. care to share this with me? It isn't rocket science but I would like to know what it says before I get the file out.

Not willing to make the 2 hour drive to have my nearest dealer do it. Plus I want to be able to make it pull like I want it not the guy working on it. What is the worst that can happen? I shave it too much and have to buy a new rudder?

Currently the boat has just a barely noticable pull but it is almost neutral. Definately want to have the rudder loaded as minor adjustments are easier with the loading. My '88 was just about right.

Ric
02-02-2006, 12:37 AM
go for it
easy job
take it off the driver's side trailing edge (the full length of the vertical area of the trailing edge of the rudder)
File it at about a 45degree angle
do a little at a time
drive it rinse and repeat as necessary
using a hand file, you won't kill your rudder. Using a grinder, be damn careful you dont slip and hit the gelcoat or take off too much in one area
after you run it a while, it will look like doug's pic. you won't hardly notice the filed area.

Is there actually a bulletin on how to do this? Jim... MyMC.. care to share this with me? It isn't rocket science but I would like to know what it says before I get the file out.

crdickey
02-02-2006, 01:43 AM
Use a hand file not a grinder. Do it at a 45 drgree angle but make the front edge of the 45 smoother, more rounded. The more of the full length you file, the less filing is necessary.

This is a must for course driving, otherwise the boat wallows down the course. In competition the boat path tolerance is very narrow. Just ask Chris Parrish, part of his last world record was DQ'd because of the boat path was out of allowable tolerance.

BrianM
02-02-2006, 10:21 AM
Thanks to Hoosier I will have a copy of the bulletin. Plan to take the file to the lake with me this weekend. Should be pretty easy.

erkoehler
02-02-2006, 12:09 PM
;) Talk to Milk, he will start a new thread so that you can provide a complete write up on the difficulty and time issues that may present itself.

Hoosier Bob
02-02-2006, 08:17 PM
I used a belt sander and it worked very well. Also shaves a larger more square area than the grinder. The edge came out very nice and polished.

Thanks to Hoosier I will have a copy of the bulletin. Plan to take the file to the lake with me this weekend. Should be pretty easy.

rodltg2
02-02-2006, 08:40 PM
use as variable speed 4 1/2 angle grider. that will take baby right off.

Hoosier Bob
02-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Hey Rod how about a few Rott pics! Mine died of old age a few years back. Greatest friend I ever had! Ate and sh@* like a horse though! :D
use as variable speed 4 1/2 angle grider. that will take baby right off.

Larryp
02-03-2006, 12:23 AM
my boat naturally pulls hard, will also chine off the water, wanna trade.

rodltg2
02-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Hey Rod how about a few Rott pics! Mine died of old age a few years back. Greatest friend I ever had! Ate and sh@* like a horse though! :D

ok, he's not a pure bred rottie. i think hes mixed with mastiff.

Hoosier Bob
02-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Great Rott. Mastif I believe is what they used to bring breed back from near extinction anyway. My Rott was very large and had the biggest head I have ever seen on a dog. He would not hurt anything unless the kids were threatened. Cool pic! :D ok, he's not a pure bred rottie. i think hes mixed with mastiff.

rodltg2
02-03-2006, 05:10 PM
sammy is very mellow as well. he actually gets scared when other smaller dogs bark at him and tries to hide behind me. very cute.

BrianM
02-03-2006, 05:27 PM
I think y'all hijacked my thread. :firejump: Take it over to the pets thread.

Hoosier Bob
02-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Maybe we are just plain tired of "Shavin Rudders!"
This was the only nice way to tell you! :D I think y'all hijacked my thread. :firejump: Take it over to the pets thread.