PDA

View Full Version : Speedo question.....

stump
02-01-2006, 02:49 PM
OK, at the risk of seeming like a complete idiot, I'm gonna ask something that has taken me a few months to finally check on: Why are there 2 speedometers on these ski boats? Does it have something to do with ensuring straight tracking? Please be gentle.......

AirJunky
02-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Just for redundancy in case one goes out as your skiing..... which happens quite a bit if the lake has much debris in it. You can also get better pickups from Skidim.com that tend to clear almost as soon as their clogged.

erkoehler
02-01-2006, 02:57 PM
T/J, Is there an available retrofit to change the speedos from the pickup style to the paddle wheel style?

Or

Do you have to get all new speedos?

stump
02-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Just for redundancy in case one goes out as your skiing..... which happens quite a bit if the lake has much debris in it. You can also get better pickups from Skidim.com that tend to clear almost as soon as their clogged.
Thanks, dude! I guess I was thinking too far into it.......

rodltg2
02-01-2006, 03:02 PM
not only if it goes out, but it also ensure speed accuracy in the course. no need for it now that most course skiers use PP.

ski_king
02-01-2006, 03:03 PM
T/J, Is there an available retrofit to change the speedos from the pickup style to the paddle wheel style?

Or

Do you have to get all new speedos?
You will need all new speedometers with paddle wheel, or perfect pass with the paddle wheel.

Now lets remember to call the SPEEDOMETERS, the thought of Erkoehler and speedos almost made me lose my lunch.

erkoehler
02-01-2006, 03:07 PM
You will need all new speedometers with paddle wheel, or perfect pass with the paddle wheel.

Now lets remember to call the SPEEDOMETERS, the thought of Erkoehler and speedos almost made me lose my lunch.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, not :mad:

Hoosier Bob
02-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Did no one else do this? You always had a true 36. The other speedo could be used still with the understanding it was running +3 or -3 based on the example. You will never get a boat to run time on a river with current using both set at 36 with a 3 mile an hour current. The timer will be off every pass.

When skiing on a river you set the speedos to compensate for the current. The course is not moving so the speedo's are usually calibrated to the up/down current. If a river is moving at 3 mph you will be slow up and fast down. Time the up and down pass and set each speedo for direction. Even PP needs to be calibrated in these circumstances. Left can be down river while right would be set for up river travel. Old days no PP.
:D
PS. Twice the profit and a backup ain't a bad thing! :D

stump
02-01-2006, 03:15 PM
Upon review of the title that I used for this thread, I hereby apologize for any negative mental imagery that it conjured up. Poor wording on my part. Please, NO SWIMSUIT PICS!!!!!! LOL.

east tx skier
02-01-2006, 03:20 PM
At the risk of redundancy, daul speedo(meter)s was to ensure accurate speeds in tournament settings before speed control.

rodltg2
02-01-2006, 03:22 PM
When skiing on a river you set the speedos to compensate for the current. The course is not moving so the speedo's are usually calibrated to the up/down current. If a river is moving at 3 mph you will be slow up and fast down. Time the up and down pass and set each speedo for direction. Even PP needs to be calibrated in these circumstances. Left can be down river while right would be set for up river travel. Old days no PP.
:D
PS. Twice the profit and a backup ain't a bad thing! :D

interesting, i never thought about it for river use.

Hoosier Bob
02-01-2006, 03:30 PM
I am kind of suprised but it sounds like no one has done this. I may be alone. Growing up on a river with 3-4 mph current and a fixed course you had to calibrate each to compensate. 36 up is 33 and 36 down is 39. Timer will not score the run. We always ran left down and right up. PP will need to be set using the mags. It was just easier to use a true 36, if it failed you used the 33. Ski lakes rule! :D interesting, i never thought about it for river use.

jayocheskey
02-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Just a little sidenote here - I LOVE PERFECT PASS. It's boat driving made easy. Granted, we made quite a leap from an '84 Larson to the '04 MC, so you can imagine my complete satisfaction in all areas - BUT - PerfectPass is one of the biggies.

jayocheskey
02-01-2006, 03:50 PM
I am kind of suprised but it sounds like no one has done this. I may be alone. Growing up on a river with 3-4 mph current and a fixed course you had to calibrate each to compensate. 36 up is 33 and 36 down is 39. Timer will not score the run. We always ran left down and right up. PP will need to be set using the mags. It was just easier to use a true 36, if it failed you used the 33. Ski lakes rule! :D
Makes perfect sense to me.

east tx skier
02-01-2006, 03:51 PM
I highly recommend upgrading to 6.5 ng. It takes a minute or two to get used to the new setup, but the new guage is better in almost every way.

jmyers
02-01-2006, 03:52 PM
At the risk of redundancy, daul speedo(meter)s was to ensure accurate speeds in tournament settings before speed control.
Daul speedometer, or Dual speedometer? :confused: :D Mabey it is German? :rolleyes:

east tx skier
02-01-2006, 03:57 PM
Sorry, should've explained. It's an acronym. DAUL or Doug's Airguide Under Liquid.

jmyers
02-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Sorry, should've explained. It's an acronym. DAUL or Doug's Airguide Under Liquid.
You are so quick witted Doug! :purplaugh Oh post master! :worthy: Or mabey, D oug's A ** U sually L ands! :D

east tx skier
02-01-2006, 04:07 PM
;) I try. ;)