PDA

View Full Version : Clarion XMD? in a 2000 Prostar

airwear
01-31-2006, 03:02 PM
My 2000 Prostar came with the stock Clarion M5474 receiver. I want to upgrade to the XMD? series (to get the aux input), however, it appears as though the XMD? receivers are twice as thick.

Has anyone put in a XMD? receiver into a 2000 Prostar? Is there room for it to fit, or do you have to do some work to get it to fit??

Since my boat is in storage and I will not be seeing it for a few months, I cannot figure this out.

rodltg2
01-31-2006, 03:19 PM
if i understand you correctly, i think your talking about the face is twice as wide. the actual unit is not.

prostar205
01-31-2006, 03:28 PM
ROGLTG2 is correct. The body of the XMD unit is a single-DIN configuration. It is only the face plate that is double-DIN and that section sits infront of the dash. Make sure you get the XMD3 becuase hte XMD1 does not have AUX input for your IPOD.

airwear
01-31-2006, 05:35 PM
Good point on the size because I WAS thinking the XMD? full unit was double the thickness.

I was hoping to get a cheap XMD1 because it is older, hence cheaper, and I have already built my old CD Changer Hack cable the gives me AUX input capabilities. I had hoped it would work with my M5474, however, it doesn't, but I know it works with the XMD1.

Anyone have an old XMD1 that they are not using (cheap).

prostar205
01-31-2006, 05:43 PM
Define cheap.

Once spring hits, you should find a few on ebay for $75-$100 - depending on condition.

The XMD3 sells for around $115-$125 on ebay from my experiences.

prostar205
01-31-2006, 05:45 PM
Ariwear -

I see you are in Canada. Unfortunately, if you buy it in the states, I am afraid it is going to cost you a mint to ship it.

Good luck.

airwear
01-31-2006, 05:51 PM
Ahah. I have solved that problem. I have employees that work for me in the US who I visit, or they visit me. Hence, I have many US delivery addresses. I have been using eBay this way for years.

rodltg2
01-31-2006, 06:21 PM
i bought a refurbished one cheap . at least it seemd cheap at the time for about $75. the dang wired remote cost me more though.

airwear
01-31-2006, 08:04 PM
I had wondered about the remote, and I am quite sure the remote I have in the boat for my M5474 will work withe XMD1 and XMD2. I am not sure if it works with the XMD3. I am pretty sure I have the M101RC-W.

mitch
01-31-2006, 09:15 PM
At least on a 2K 205 I don't think there is enough room in the glove box for the XMD

Andyg
01-31-2006, 09:40 PM
Good point on the size because I WAS thinking the XMD? full unit was double the thickness.

I was hoping to get a cheap XMD1 because it is older, hence cheaper, and I have already built my old CD Changer Hack cable the gives me AUX input capabilities. I had hoped it would work with my M5474, however, it doesn't, but I know it works with the XMD1.

Anyone have an old XMD1 that they are not using (cheap).

I will be pulling my XMD1 head unit and remote out in about a month. If you want it I will sell you the head unit, remote, Ipod/MP3 player cable, and original manual. I tried finding a picture of my remote, but I don't have one. My remote is about 2 inches in diameter with a digital display and a chrome bezel. If you want it and are willing to wait until March to get it shoot me a PM.

rodltg2
01-31-2006, 09:49 PM
who else besdies clarion makes a stereo wiht a wired remote?

Andyg
01-31-2006, 09:52 PM

I am installing a sony one this spring. The only other one I have seen is a pioneer. Here is a picture of the sony. It comes in black or white.

Andyg
01-31-2006, 09:53 PM
And here is a picture of the pioneer.

rodltg2
01-31-2006, 10:53 PM
the sony looks pretty cool, the pioneer would be nice too but would look to bulky in the mc arm rest.

whats the sony deck look like and how much?

Andyg
01-31-2006, 11:11 PM
the sony looks pretty cool, the pioneer would be nice too but would look to bulky in the mc arm rest.

whats the sony deck look like and how much?

I bought a Sony CDX-F7715X. It isn't a marine deck, but it shouldn't be a problem since it will be mounted in my glove box. Here is a picture of the deck and a link to one on ebay.

EBAY (http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-CDX-F7715X-CAR-CD-MP3-XM-PLAYER-STEREO-RECEIVER-NR_W0QQitemZ5860428940QQcategoryZ39753QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

quincyfirefighter
02-01-2006, 12:33 AM
Kenwood also make a Marine head unit and remote. Airwear lets see some Pics of your Prostar :headbang:

airwear
02-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Don't have a great shot of the boat, but here is one on the lift that reminds me that the boat is safe at rest when I am in the city, away from the lake.

Andyg, I will send you a PM.

quincyfirefighter, do you have a 195 as well? If yes, have you accessorized or done any interesting modifications to your boat?

mitch, I would assume the glovebox on the 205 is the same size as my 195. Are you aware of anyone that has tried to put a XMD? in our size gloveboxes, or are you just speculating. I wonder too, as I think it would be tight.

quincyfirefighter
02-01-2006, 10:21 AM
Nice looking boat man :D Here's mine Looks somewhat alike. Did upgrade my stereo also. There are some pics. :headbang:

airwear
02-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Very nice. Yes, our boats are quite similar. I love the 195/197 boats, they are nicely sized for the lake where our cottage is.

What are you doing for ballast? That is one of my next projects.

RackAtak
02-01-2006, 10:49 AM
I have a 2001 195. I put a Sony 4060 amp on 1/2" spacers and a Clarion M455 head unit which has the IPod dealie. I mounted the Clarion wired remote without the display in the blank gauge hole on the far right side of the dash. Replaced the two stock speakers with Polk Audio db650's and also added two more Polk Audio db650's to the engine cover. Look at my gallery for pics...
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1126&cat=500&ppuser=155&sl=r
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1126&cat=500&ppuser=155&sl=r
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1127&cat=500&ppuser=155&sl=r

BeavenX5
02-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Hi
Great looking boat airwear. My X5 is almost exactly the same as your PS197 except the PS dash looks more luxurious with its wood trims.

I replaced lasr year the Clarion M5445 that came original with the boat with a Clarion M455. I beleive it is less expensive than the XMD one and still does a better job than the original M5445 and has the aux in plug and variable input for the MP3 player. It works fine also with the factory installed Clarion remote in the armrest. The Clarion remote I have is similar in shape and size to the sony remote above.

As far as ballasts, the X5 came standard with a +/- 450lb fatsac in the rear trunk. It does an OK job for my wakeboarding abilities. You would need more for a serious wakeboard wave.
JC

BeavenX5
02-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Here is a picture of my X5. If you need pictures of the remote and/or the radio mounted, I will be able to take some next week-end.
JC

DanC
02-01-2006, 02:21 PM

There are tons out there now, Sony, Kenwood, JBL, Jensen, MB Quart, various marine mfgs...... They are just hard to find in the catalogs. And the packaging form differs a lot. Some are more surface mount, some are like a 2 or 3 inch guage....

And always check the price on the remote. Nothing like finding a good deck and getting a good deal and then getting gouged on the remote.

I tossed my lousy Clarion XMD1 and put in the same Sony as AndyG. Love the price, features and performance.

airwear
02-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Nice boat too BeavenX5. I saw your boat on another thread earlier. I will look up the M455, a cheaper alternative is great.

Yes, my draft plan is to put ballast in the trunk and add side sacs beside the engine. I am by no means a serious wakeboarder, but the extra wake will make it just a little easier to make it all the way around on the flips.

Sorry to point it out, but I noticed the ugly scum line on your boat. When I got my boat last year, it initially sat for a few weeks in the water and the waterline drove me crazy. So I bought a lift and I no longer worry about it. The Starbrite hull cleaner stuff took it off with little effort at all.

No sterio or remote pictures required. I checked and my current remote will work with the M455.

Have you had any problems with your boat? What engine?

BeavenX5
02-01-2006, 03:22 PM
About the scum line, I looked at boatlifts at the Montreal Boatshow last week. 2 different lift salesmen told me it would not be the best to install a lift on my lake. The water levels fluctuates too much. It can increase by as much as 3 ft in a week if it rains a lot. It then goes back down 10-12in per week.
I took the boat out of the water only once this season to wash it. It works but the line comes back in a matter of 3-4 weeks. I will have to live with it. I have a mooring for the weekdays when I am not at the cottage.

About the engine, I have the Predator 310HP. No problems so far (I got the boat last May) except for a a check engine light that is lit for no good reason. I will get this check in the spring. Do you have any problems with yours?

airwear
02-01-2006, 03:34 PM
The water on my lake fluctuates too, although, not as much as yours. There were a few times last year where I could not get the boat off the lift. This year I will have to lengthen the dock so that I can put the lift further out into the water. I bought a used lift last year. The scum really helped me convince my wife that we needed one!

Last year was my first year with the boat and no real problems, although over the course of the summer I had to replace the impellor, battery, and alternator.

I have the LTR 330 hp engine. It works great. I am crossing my fingers that I winterized everything well enough, as it was my first time. Luckily this forum had a ton of winterization help!

One of these years I want to put lights on the tower, although, I have 3 daughters under 6 years of age, so I don't get out at night as much as I would like.

BeavenX5
02-01-2006, 04:05 PM
I got myself 2 sets of Boss adjustable racks from Wakeside.com at xmass. Price was realy good and quality is OK. Looks great and fits well on the horizontal bars of our tower. They are now installed but the tower is folded in the garage. Can't wait to get the boat out...
One of my future project (maybe this year if not next year) is to build a DIY set of lights for the tower. It will look good and will get only limited use.
No plans at all to install tower speakers as the neibours will then shoot me. I have a hard time already to get the kids (8 and 10) to keep the stereo down to an acceptable level on the lake.

airwear
02-17-2006, 12:20 AM
Unfortunately I still haven't heard from anyone on whether an XMD? will fit into a 2000 Prostar. Someone out must have or have tried this setup??? I don't want to buy a used one on eBay only to find out later that the unit will not fit in my glovebox.