PDA

View Full Version : Up and coming season

Foiler
01-31-2006, 03:24 PM
A lot of the members on this board are serious about water sports whether it's Slalom skiing, barefooting, wakeboarding or hydrofoiling...I guess we show that by owning a Mastercraft.

Some are more demanding than others but one thing is for sure the better shape you're in the better you will perform and less likely to be injured. Even though I'm getting older...so they tell me, I still continue to improve each year.

I start hitting the weights 4 times a week around Dec and continue until I can start riding a bunch. Just wondering what everyone does to get/stay into shape to prepare for the season.

xbrdr1
01-31-2006, 03:27 PM
Yep, same here...start in Dec until about April, when riding starts.
Then, too hung over in the am to workout, and usually riding in the pm.

rodltg2
01-31-2006, 03:28 PM
normally nothing, but i was young, except this year. now i have decided to join the gym. twice a week will be good enough.

M-Funf
01-31-2006, 03:48 PM
Foiler,
I'm one year younger than you (according to your profile), and you are absolutely right about reducing the chance of injury and performing better.

I also find that I will still TRY to do those things that I did 10 years ago, even when I know that the consequences are much worse if I fail these days...

I NEED to start getting my sorry a$$ to the gym. The wife goes about 4 times a week. She gets up at 4:30 to go before work. :noface:
We're both members, so I'm paying whether I go or not :o

jayocheskey
01-31-2006, 03:59 PM
Getting in the gym in the off-season serves multiple, necessary purposes. First - it helps with performance, everyone knows this. Second - it's great to take care of your body, you just feel better the better shape you're in. Third - (most important) YOU LOOK GOOD FOR THE LADIES!!!

jrcarte78
01-31-2006, 04:19 PM
I'm with Jay..... Hitting the gym 2-3 times per week really makes me feel alot better all around--definitely gives me more energy. And, when spring/summer comes around and the water sports season begins it doesn't take near as long to get back in the groove as they say.

jraben8
01-31-2006, 04:23 PM
I have been doing the gym thing for about 3 years and never really saw the results that I wanted (I'm sure it had everything to do with my diet or lack of one).

Over the past 6 months I have gotten serious about cycling and whala.... 26 lbs lighter and the muscle that I had built that I couldn't see magically appeared. I will start back to the gym in a big way in 2-3 weeks. My job has my schedule really jacked up.

Every couple of weeks my wife shows me before and after pictures and says, "I don't want that other guy back." It's nice to know that she even noticed the difference.

rodltg2
01-31-2006, 04:25 PM
what are you guys paying for a gym memebrship. i think i got took. 45 a month 0 down

east tx skier
01-31-2006, 04:33 PM
I run 2.5 miles per day 3--4 times per week. I also work out on a bowflex 4 times per week. Before that, I had a weight cage in the garage. I've found that I'm far more likely to work out at the house than at a gym. This is year round for me.

jrcarte78
01-31-2006, 04:37 PM
what are you guys paying for a gym memebrship. i think i got took. 45 a month 0 down

My girlfriend actually has a really nice facility at her apartment complex that we normally use. And, the nicest part--IT'S FREE!! (Actually included in her overpriced rent)

LakePirate
01-31-2006, 04:40 PM
I joined the gym 2 weeks ago....muscles are still sore from working out.
I am doing it mainly for 3 reasons
1) Lose girth or buy all new pants
2) Not to be worn out by the end of the 1st set
3) more strength = more speed = more balls

Going daily at this point, but when the season starts probably down to once a week.

M-Funf
01-31-2006, 04:45 PM

We've got a corporate membership at 24 hr fitness. It's $45/month for both of us.
I used to be a member at Stan Benett's. It was $20/month, but was not as convenient as 24 hr, which is only about 3 blocks from the house.

bcampbe7
01-31-2006, 04:46 PM
I do nothing and it shows! :o

east tx skier
01-31-2006, 04:48 PM
We've got a corporate membership at 24 hr fitness. It's $45/month for both of us.
I used to be a member at Stan Benett's. It was $20/month, but was not as convenient as 24 hr, which is only about 3 blocks from the house.

I actually have a 24 hour fitness membership, too. It was a Golds Gym membership when I got it. I've held onto it because it's still just $12 per month (grandfathered in).

atlfootr
01-31-2006, 04:55 PM
I do the most physically demanding workout possible, "mental bodybuilding" :)
I sit on my boat w/ a beer and syic myself up, before making the plung into 50 degree waters.

Leroy
01-31-2006, 04:57 PM
I play lunch league soccer 1-2 times per week. Ride bicycle to work 2-3 days a week, 20 miles round trip. Weights at the racquet club maybe once a week. Walk the dog many times a week. Due to time constraint I have to find my training doing things like commute to work on bicycle.Before kids I used to train 2-4 hours a day for triathlons......now I'm an example of what happens when you quit that level of training! ARGGG!

rodltg2
01-31-2006, 05:22 PM
either way once april hits , im not keeping the mebership. once ski season hits i want have time to go skiing, the gym and beer drinking.

Foiler
01-31-2006, 05:27 PM
jraben8- congrats on the 26lbs!

I had a lifetime membership to a gym and they closed the doors.
I ended up taking the money it was going to cost to join another one or pay monthly fees and bought some home equipment. It's more convenient and easier to be faithful having everthing at home.

east tx skier
01-31-2006, 05:33 PM
I have been doing the gym thing for about 3 years and never really saw the results that I wanted (I'm sure it had everything to do with my diet or lack of one).

Over the past 6 months I have gotten serious about cycling and whala.... 26 lbs lighter and the muscle that I had built that I couldn't see magically appeared. I will start back to the gym in a big way in 2-3 weeks. My job has my schedule really jacked up.

Every couple of weeks my wife shows me before and after pictures and says, "I don't want that other guy back." It's nice to know that she even noticed the difference.

I dropped about 30 from January to February 04. For me, it was very simple. Give up the supersaturated liptons ice tea mix. I'd always run and lifted weights. But the ridiculous amount of sugar that I was putting in me several times per day was the problem.

ski_king
01-31-2006, 05:37 PM
I visited a sister company last week and found out they have a gym complete with personal trainer for all employees.

I am hitting my boss (same owner as other company) up for the same.

Looking forward to working out every other day in new gym, but not holding my breath.

sand2snow22
01-31-2006, 05:40 PM
I do the most physically demanding workout possible, "mental bodybuilding" :)
I sit on my boat w/ a beer and syic myself up, before making the plung into 50 degree waters.

Now that's funny :D 8p Literally laughing out loud. I tried to do that this past saturday. 47 degree water temp, 49 degree air temp and a raging brown river. It didn't work, forgot about the "beer" part. The riders who did go were good. I'll call it "mentally wakeboarding".

T Scott
01-31-2006, 05:43 PM
You know the saying...."I'm in shape, round IS a shape". Fits me to a tee. I used to take rally good car of myself, but now that I'm married, have a couple of kids, travel often with work, etc. I have put on a few pounds. I don't consider myself overweight, but I could stand to lose 15 pounds or so..

I'm signing off now, I'm going for a jog.

Kevin 89MC
01-31-2006, 05:49 PM
I run 1-2 times a week, 2-3 miles. I used to play racquetball 1-2 times a week, but that stopped after kid #2. Mostly because it got to be too expensive - $70/month. I never used the club for anything other than r-ball, and didn't play muc in the summer. I suffer getting back on the ski in the spring, and I know that getting in better shape would improve my skiing. Oh well . . .

Footin
01-31-2006, 07:30 PM
Beer.................drink lotsa beer. Twelve oz curls to stay in this fine shape.