PDA

View Full Version : Exxon Mobil profits

twieder
01-31-2006, 10:49 AM
Reading lastnites newspaper and this jumped at me. "Exxon Mobil posts record final profit of $10.71 billion" They also posted a record profit in the third quarter of $9.92 billion. Now according to the article, these record profits are directly due to"high oil and gas prices and demand for refined products."

(thud thud bump tap tap tap... is this thing on?)

Ladies and gentelman, thank you for comeing today to the largest b.s. tale we've ever sold the american people!Ya see, we've got them convinced that the hurricanes have caused us billions in damage, but thats what we pay insurance for(giggle giggle) We also own all kinds of oil rigs, so when the price goes up, well we make more money because is still costs the same to refine the stuff! Now don't get me wrong, we love the gas prices to be high too! More profit ya see!
We won't be building any new refineries though because the prices would drop and so would our bonuses.We'll just blame the EPA and say the rules are to blame.Thank you all for comeing today and if you have any comments or complaints, just put them in those big round steel containers with plastic liners in the back. We'll take care of the rest!

(thud thud bang S*#@#RS)

milkmania
01-31-2006, 11:29 AM
that's what I'm talkin' about.......

wonder who is a large contributor within Exxon Mobil's infrastructure?
wonder who gains most from these record profit earnings?

http://aritah.com/images/smilies/angrysoapbox.gif

captain planet
01-31-2006, 11:37 AM
Now, I could go on about this for days, but I have to ask the question, does anyone else feel like the oil giants are gouging? I mean if you look at it, yea the price of a barrel of oil is going up. Fine. But if the price of gasoline is raised at a rate that is in relation to the price of oil, doesn't the net profit remain relatively the same as opposed to the huge spike in profits these companies are making? I mean look at the profits the oil giants are making:

These are quarterly numbers.
Exxon Mobile - 10.7 Billion - up 27%
Conoco Phillips - 3.68 Billion - up 51%
Chevron - 4.14 Billion - up 20%
I don't have BP's numbers but they are up 25% or greater.

So, it is January 31. This is the lowest driving season of the year and gas is 2.39 per gallon in Canton and Massillon Ohio. If this is the lowest driving season, what is going to happen in June through Sept? $3.50? :mad: The explanation for this given by the oil companies is that they are not up to "capacity" because of the damage caused by the hurricanes to their refineries. Um hello, this is February, the hurricanes were in August/September. Who is scheduled to make the repairs, Rip Van Winkle?

If they are making so much money, do you think they are in ANY hurry to repair their refineries? I think not.

Oh yea, I almost forgot to add this little nugget of info. At 10.7 billion for the quarter, Exxon Mobile made.......$1,376,028 dollars PER SECOND in the last 90 days. :eek: :eek: .......Yup, I'm sure they just can't wait to fix those refineries to get back up to capacity.

JimN
01-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Part of the problem is that there hasn't been a new refinery built since the 70's. I was talking to my broker about this and he brought up the fact that nobody really wants a refinery any where near their house, either. Yeah, they could conceivably put a big one in the desert SW, but if there's a big spill and it gets into the Colorado River, people to the west won't have good drinking water and it'll probably clog the dynamos at the Hoover Dam so they won't have power, either. Plus, it would cost a bunch to get it there.

I'll never defend an oil company that whines about their lack of capacity and still posts record profits, gas stations that raise prices because of rumors about higher future oil costs and keep their prices high for days after everyone else in town has dropped theirs by as much as $.49/gal.

By the way, the station that kept their price up was a Mobil. Now, there's a newsflash!

east tx skier
01-31-2006, 11:58 AM
I don't like it one bit. But can you blame them? They've got the product, and we're addicted to it. Who's going to stop them? The government? Ha! Remember when we had hearings on the profits and the prices magically dropped. And here they go back up again. We sure do have a short attention span.

I wonder how much O&G money ends up in the campaign coffers of our representatives and senators albeit indirectly. Find out and if one is on the take and one is less on the take, vote for the guy less on the take.

captain planet
01-31-2006, 12:39 PM
I don't like it one bit. But can you blame them? They've got the product, and we're addicted to it. Who's going to stop them? The government? Ha! Remember when we had hearings on the profits and the prices magically dropped. And here they go back up again. We sure do have a short attention span.

I wonder how much O&G money ends up in the campaign coffers of our representatives and senators albeit indirectly. Find out and if one is on the take and one is less on the take, vote for the guy less on the take.
You know, I would debate that we are addicted to it as much as we are dependant on it. I mean think what just going one day without using oil. I guess I am splitting hairs here, but our society is totally dependant on oil for food, heat, clothing, etc.

You know, it is funny you should bring up the hearings that they had a several weeks ago. The CEO's of several oil companies were brought in for questioning and conveniently enough they were NOT under oath. I have had discussions with Senator DeWine's office on this very issue and they told me that this issue is not dead and they are going to get back at this after the Supreme Court nomination is complete. If you feel that the oil giants are gouging us I encourage you to contact your Senator on this issue because it is going to come around again soon.

JimN
01-31-2006, 12:48 PM
I'm all for government staying out of business, but with more oil companies merging, it's getting closer to regional monopolies, like some energy companies. I think it's time to send a message by really getting the consumer groups up the butts of the oil companies, and I never though I would say something like this. Most markets govern their own actions fairly well, but this is ridiculous. How many companies have struggled or failed because of high gas prices? How many people can barely afford to drive?

I'm a little surprised that the industries that are affected by lower demand for their products due to higher gas prices (motorcycles, autos, boats, SUV's, the airlines, railroad, trucking, etc) haven't gotten into the oil companies' ears about this.

As bad as it is in the US, it's far worse in Europe and other places.

LakePirate
01-31-2006, 01:25 PM
There is plenty of money in the Desert.

LakePirate
01-31-2006, 01:26 PM
Mo' Money...

jamisonsbrodie
01-31-2006, 01:26 PM
It all comes down to supply vs demand, or in a truely free-market society, expected supply vs expected demand. There are many factors that come in to play. #1 the exponential increase in demand in Asia. China has doubled their oil consumption over the last 5 years, and with GDP rising @9.5% every year, and the # of automobiles on the road rising 2.5 Mil. each year their demand will continue to rise. OPEC is another factor, they basically control the supply for the whole world. Iran is the latest cause of a spike in oil, from $58 to $68 in about 3 weeks. Because they are a major exporter of oil, the threat of them cutting off supply would be devastating, therefore the market prices the threat in. Oil Co.'s are having record profits because the Oil that they own (their reserves) is worth a lot more money. At $30 per barrel they are going to make a lot less than at $60. THe Co's that invested in oil reserves are the ones that are profiting now. The Gold CO's are in the same situation this year, those that own the reserves with be making a lot more money. There are many gold mines that have sat idle because the prices weren't high enough to make it worthwhile to mine, but now with gold @ $568/ oz they are coming back online. THe majority of natural resource Co's are experiencing record profits, due to increased demand from around the globe, ie: precious metals, lumber, steel, cement, oil, etc.

Yes, there are instances of gouging, but the real profits come from the increased price of oil, which directly correlates to the price of gas.

LakePirate
01-31-2006, 01:27 PM
Money.......

LakePirate
01-31-2006, 01:28 PM
Money...Money

Ric
01-31-2006, 01:28 PM
that's what I'm talkin' about.......

wonder who is a large contributor within Exxon Mobil's infrastructure?
wonder who gains most from these record profit earnings?

http://aritah.com/images/smilies/angrysoapbox.gif

[raises hand]
Rich guys

LakePirate
01-31-2006, 01:29 PM
It is not an oil company that is doing this. At least not directly.

JimN
01-31-2006, 01:38 PM
So, in a freemarket economy, why is raising the price for goods already in inventory being allowed? I can see it if the goods have been there for a long time and are being financed or incur other expenses directly related, but raising the selling price based on current cost is gouging. Most businesses that carry inventory and buy at various times with varying costs, or in the case of buying stocks & bonds, call it cost averaging. Their average cost is tempered and profit/loss doesn't vary so much. It also can make a company more competitive when they can't buy in the same quantities as larger ones. Oh, yeah, what competition?

JimN
01-31-2006, 01:40 PM
I meant OUR desert SW, not theirs.

bradamerry
01-31-2006, 01:42 PM
You guys should sit on my side of this industry. They can go up on prices, but if we do, we get cut off from their business. Drilling contractors have double their prices in the last three years, so that alone makes the price at the pump shoot up.

Ric
01-31-2006, 01:42 PM
ExxonMobil ran a full page in the chronicle yesterday showing where their profits were against other industries and they were nowhere near the top

puhleasssseee dont call your congresswoman wanting her to "take action" and tax the oil industry... it will open the door for even more taxation on other industries. This will not help you buy gasoline or home heat by one penny

sand2snow22
01-31-2006, 01:53 PM
You guys should sit on my side of this industry. They can go up on prices, but if we do, we get cut off from their business. Drilling contractors have double their prices in the last three years, so that alone makes the price at the pump shoot up.

Brad, look at this drilling company. In 2005 they'll make $1.59/share, in 2006 they're forcasting $5.17/share. That's a big jump....

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ae?s=DO

JEREMY79
01-31-2006, 01:53 PM

Thanks for brining that up Brad. Very few people get to sit on our side of the industry. It is either "feast or famine" You all arent saying anything about the years that oil was $7 a barrel, and you couldnt give a rig away, and a pump jack wasnt worth maintaing for the oil it produced. Everything in the oil business has doubled in the last few years. We dont stand knee deep in crude oil and smell like it when we come home for our health. We do it because that is what pays the bills. Just keep in mind that the oil business goes in cycles.

AirJunky
01-31-2006, 02:03 PM
So you guys are telling us to shut up & deal with it?

captain planet
01-31-2006, 02:04 PM
ExxonMobil ran a full page in the chronicle yesterday showing where their profits were against other industries and they were nowhere near the top

puhleasssseee dont call your congresswoman wanting her to "take action" and tax the oil industry... it will open the door for even more taxation on other industries. This will not help you buy gasoline or home heat by one penny
I don't think anyone is talking about taxing the oil industry, if you look at the recent energy bill that was passed the oil industry is getting a green light (pardon the pun). I'm talking about gouging. If drilling costs have doubled or tripled, shouldn't that take away from profits? It is possible to spin this any way you want, the oil companies can show you they are nowhere near the top....but near the top of what? They (Exxon) have made more money in one quarter than any other corporation in American history.

Yesterday gasoline was 2.14 in the morning on the way to work, on the way home it was 2.39. What the hell happened that it went up .25 in a few hours?

Greed, plain and simple.

jamisonsbrodie
01-31-2006, 02:04 PM
So, in a freemarket economy, why is raising the price for goods already in inventory being allowed? I can see it if the goods have been there for a long time and are being financed or incur other expenses directly related, but raising the selling price based on current cost is gouging. Most businesses that carry inventory and buy at various times with varying costs, or in the case of buying stocks & bonds, call it cost averaging. Their average cost is tempered and profit/loss doesn't vary so much. It also can make a company more competitive when they can't buy in the same quantities as larger ones. Oh, yeah, what competition?

#1 Because there is a finite amount of oil #2 Because their reserves are not large enough to cover demand, therefore they have to purchase enough on the open market to make up the difference, and #3 Because we as consumers will pay for it. With the price of lumber rising 30-40% this year, do think that the Timber Co's should have to keep there prices low because they bought the land 20 years ago, therefore their inventory cost is much lower? Some Co's have very little reserves, others have a lot, but to keep it a level playing field they sell it at market price, otherwise the Co. with the largest reserves would just undercut everybody (which the gov't won't allow) and create a true monopoly, upon which there would be NO market, and NO competition. It may seem like a monopoly now, but it isn't, market forces are still in effect. Plus it goes beyond our borders, and beyond the U.S. Oil companies, it is a global market.

captain planet
01-31-2006, 02:08 PM
If you have to look at this in a glass half full scenario, this will help promote alternative energy technologies.....until the oil companies buy up the technologies and lock them away.

Leroy
01-31-2006, 02:12 PM
It feels wrong, some how, the free market, capital system is not working here. I believe there is some mechanism for price fixing at the supplier level.

I understand the increase in demand from China and the rest of the developing world, but there has not been a dry pump around here.

However when I look at the price compared to 5% annual inflation it is exactly on now.

jamisonsbrodie
01-31-2006, 02:17 PM
For those of you that want to "take action" then sell your V8 powered pickup/SUV, and convince all your friends and family to do the same. Also, you will have to sell your Mastercraft too, cause you are just supporting the oil industry with that as well. Then get a bus pass, turn your furnace and electricity off(unless it is hydro-electric) buy firewood, but wait that will support the Timber Co who will then gouge me too, etc, etc, etc.

Sorry for the rambling!

OhioProstar
01-31-2006, 02:21 PM
If you have to look at this in a glass half full scenario, this will help promote alternative energy technologies.....until the oil companies buy up the technologies and lock them away.

Alternative options have been around for a while but the cost to sustain those technologies in the market were too high when competing against gas. As the markets begin feeling the pressure from high enengy costs those technologies will be revisited and if high prices continue economies of scale will start making new technology much more competitive. Look at Brazil...almost 85% of their autos run on ethonol from sugar cane.

captain planet
01-31-2006, 02:31 PM
Alternative options have been around for a while but the cost to sustain those technologies in the market were too high when competing against gas. As the markets begin feeling the pressure from high enengy costs those technologies will be revisited and if high prices continue economies of scale will start making new technology much more competitive. Look at Brazil...almost 85% of their autos run on ethonol from sugar cane.
The energy from ethanol is a zero net energy gain. It takes as much energy to produce ethanol from corn (farming tractors, fertilizer, etc.) as you get out of it to run your car. I'm not familiar with ethanol from sugar cane, but I'm assuming they have the correct climate to grow it relatively easily.

The only solution that I have seen is hydrogen produced from solar panels for hydrogen powered cars. I have read about this technology and it was on display in Akron Ohio a few months ago. More energy is produced than is consumed for this energy source.

Ric
01-31-2006, 02:34 PM
I don't think anyone is talking about taxing the oil industry,

Oh yes they certainly are. (doesn't have time to go look up the quotes from our best and brightest)

and that's what worries me

we can talk about all the rest but new taxes are not the solution

AirJunky
01-31-2006, 02:35 PM
Oh yes they certainly are. (doesn't have time to go look up the quotes from our best and brightest)

and that's what worries me

we can talk about all the rest but new taxes are not the solution
What I've read has been about stopping the prices from rising, not taxing them to raise the prices further.

Ric
01-31-2006, 02:37 PM
What I've read has been about stopping the prices from rising, not taxing them to raise the prices further.
I actually have read and heard news quotes from more than a couple of sources about the lame in congress wanting to propose taxes on oil company profits. Hope you are right but that is what I read.

jamisonsbrodie
01-31-2006, 02:45 PM
I actually have read and heard news quotes from more than a couple of sources about the lame in congress wanting to propose taxes on oil company profits. Hope you are right but that is what I read.

The proposal that you are referring to is that some in congress want to implement a tax on "windfall" profits, basically saying that the Oil companies can only make up to $xxx amount of profit, and anything they make above that will be taxed away or taxed very heavily. Another brilliant plan, sounds like another way to limit tax revenue in the long run!

sand2snow22
01-31-2006, 03:08 PM
For those of you that want to "take action" then sell your V8 powered pickup/SUV, and convince all your friends and family to do the same. Also, you will have to sell your Mastercraft too, cause you are just supporting the oil industry with that as well. Then get a bus pass, turn your furnace and electricity off(unless it is hydro-electric) buy firewood, but wait that will support the Timber Co who will then gouge me too, etc, etc, etc.

Sorry for the rambling!

How about the zero net energy home? I have a 675 gallon oil tank that powers the furnace and at $2.92/gallon it get real expensive and alternative sources sound more appealing. Now if only they could get a car to do the same thing.....

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2004/tc2004108_6544_tc181.htm

east tx skier
01-31-2006, 03:45 PM
You know, I would debate that we are addicted to it as much as we are dependant on it. I mean think what just going one day without using oil. I guess I am splitting hairs here, but our society is totally dependant on oil for food, heat, clothing, etc.

I guess I don't see the difference between dependancy and addiction.

Ric, so how were their profits broken down in that ad?

Bottom line is that they've got the consumer bent over here. We have to pay more to play. My SUV is parked and my new-to-me Honda is my daily. It's amazing how much more efficient that car is.

More bottom line. These companies are in business to make money and they don't care if we're a little ticked off if it increases their profits exponentially. The line that they walk is not looking too greedy. And let's face it, political labels aside, my bet is that this is a pretty big oil-friendly administration. So it's not surprising to me that they're getting away with a little more. But there is a point no matter who's got the con, that they can look too greedy and we all shout bloody murder, and the govt. in turn starts looking at their activities oh so closely, and things settle down.

Yes, I'm for less government intrusion in our lives and business.
Yes, I still remember what that is.
Yes, this used to be how the current ruling party operated.
Yes it makes sense to me that when a party founded upon limited goverment gets control of everything, limited government doesn't have the same ring to them that it once did.
No, I don't like it one bit.
No, I'm not affiliated with a political party.
No, I don't blame myself.

jamisonsbrodie
01-31-2006, 04:06 PM

Attorneys never do, nor do plaintiffs in lawsuits! J/K

east tx skier
01-31-2006, 04:19 PM
Yeah, yeah. I meant for the lack of limited role of government these days.

But you're right about almost all other attorneys and most definitely plaintiffs in lawsuits.

jeverett
01-31-2006, 04:22 PM
How bout an electric boat? would anyone buy one? Tork is way better with electric and that is what it is all about! I vote for direct injection diesel running on vegitable oil. That is the only way to get their attention otherwise we are going to have to get used to taking it in the $%@.

Sizzler where are you? how much do you pay for gas in the U.K?

east tx skier
01-31-2006, 04:28 PM
Sizzler's on LPG. Bio diesel is great, but I don't think we can grow the fry grease fast enough to meet demand.

What about Hydrogen hybrid electrics or maybe it was fuel cell hybrid electrics. Saw something on Modern Marvels about them the other day. Much better fuel economy on the non-electric side of the equation that we have now.

jeverett
01-31-2006, 04:32 PM
I should talk with a friend of mine about it they make Hydrogen fuel cells in the town were I live. Side bennefit would be the weight of the bank of batteries in the back to add ballast, not good for those who still like the course.

Leroy
01-31-2006, 04:32 PM
I think it was ~$6/gal in France last week.

east tx skier
01-31-2006, 04:35 PM
I should talk with a friend of mine about it they make Hydrogen fuel cells in the town were I live. Side bennefit would be the weight of the bank of batteries in the back to add ballast, not good for those who still like the course.

Why not just hybridize your MC. Do you think there's room under the box? It'd probably cost a bit extra to get it marinized.

http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/electrocharger/electrocharger.php

bradamerry
01-31-2006, 04:58 PM
Thanks for brining that up Brad. Very few people get to sit on our side of the industry. It is either "feast or famine" You all arent saying anything about the years that oil was $7 a barrel, and you couldnt give a rig away, and a pump jack wasnt worth maintaing for the oil it produced. Everything in the oil business has doubled in the last few years. We dont stand knee deep in crude oil and smell like it when we come home for our health. We do it because that is what pays the bills. Just keep in mind that the oil business goes in cycles.
You are welcome 79... One day we are driving around in MCs and the next we have to sell them for half of what we paid, just to pay the house note. I LOVE high dollar gas. I don't feel sorry for folks who pay $3 gas at the pumps. I make damn good money today, but could get laid off and make ZERO tomorrow.

bradamerry
01-31-2006, 05:01 PM
But there are alot of folks that work for the BIG 3 car companies that are worring now. So I think I'm lucky, today.

east tx skier
01-31-2006, 05:47 PM
I take back what I said earlier about addicted. I'm good with dependent.

... if only just to be contrary.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&u=/nm/20060131/pl_nm/bush_speech_dc_15

Brad, as the son of an oil man, I owe the roof over my head for many years, my education, and a lot of other things to black gold. I also remember 1986 really sucking in Houston. I vote for a balance where I don't pay $3 for gas and you have a good paying job.

bradamerry
01-31-2006, 05:50 PM
I take back what I said earlier about addicted. I'm good with dependent.

... if only just to be contrary.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&u=/nm/20060131/pl_nm/bush_speech_dc_15

Brad, as the son of an oil man, I owe the roof over my head for many years, my education, and a lot of other things to black gold. I also remember 1986 really sucking in Houston. I vote for a balance where I don't pay $3 for gas and you have a good paying job.
Give me a job and I will help talk bad about $3 gas...

east tx skier
01-31-2006, 05:53 PM
That's not really what I had in mind. :D

PendO
01-31-2006, 06:12 PM
captive audience

only a select few companies with the infrastructure and vertical integration

there might be mutiple international companies in the game, but they sure don't have to compete for customers

McDonalds, Ford, GM, Mastercraft ... they compete for your business ... the big oil companies give you a choice ... bend over at Chevron, Shell, Exxon, etc ... someday they will make a car that runs on water ... I'll be dead by then, but so will the oil companies!

milkmania
01-31-2006, 06:17 PM
was looking for something else, but found this article "preview" instead.....

notice the date?

NATIONAL DESK | September 30, 1986
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/section/timesselect/ts_icon.gif IN OIL-POOR OKLAHOMA, ANGRY VOTERS LOOK FOR SCAPEGOATS AND FOR SAVIORS

By E. J. DIONNE JR., SPECIAL TO THE NEW YORK TIMES
Alexander Holmes, an economist at the University of Oklahoma, invokes the words of the country singer Kris Kristofferson to sum up the attitude here these days: ''The goin' up,'' the ballad proclaims, ''weren't worth the comin' down.'' In this election year, that just about says it all for a state that once claimed the world's largest Rolls-Royce dealership; a place where the lobbyists and legislators and oilmen used to feast in the red splendor of Junior's restaurant here and savor the days of $80-a-barrel oil to come. But oil is at $15 a barrel, the farmers are in trouble and unemployment in some counties is running at 15 to 25 percent. Statewide, it is 9.3 percent.

they wanted $3.79 to read the rest of the article:rolleyes:

Ric
01-31-2006, 06:32 PM
was looking for something else, but found this article "preview" instead.....

notice the date?

NATIONAL DESK | September 30, 1986
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/section/timesselect/ts_icon.gif IN OIL-POOR OKLAHOMA, ANGRY VOTERS LOOK FOR SCAPEGOATS AND FOR SAVIORS

By E. J. DIONNE JR., SPECIAL TO THE NEW YORK TIMES
Alexander Holmes, an economist at the University of Oklahoma, invokes the words of the country singer Kris Kristofferson to sum up the attitude here these days: ''The goin' up,'' the ballad proclaims, ''weren't worth the comin' down.'' In this election year, that just about says it all for a state that once claimed the world's largest Rolls-Royce dealership; a place where the lobbyists and legislators and oilmen used to feast in the red splendor of Junior's restaurant here and savor the days of $80-a-barrel oil to come. But oil is at $15 a barrel, the farmers are in trouble and unemployment in some counties is running at 15 to 25 percent. Statewide, it is 9.3 percent.

they wanted $3.79 to read the rest of the article:rolleyes:

That last line is what's funny!

Todd '04_PS197
01-31-2006, 06:37 PM
Here's a interesting article from Jan. 24 about the future of Ethanol in the USA. A lot of cars and trucks on the road and in production are already equipped to burn "E85". GM plans to start advertising this fact and start selling vehicles with special gas caps in the next few months to make consumers aware that the vehicles burn E85. The supply and distribution sounds like the challenge at this point but doesn't seem unrealistic compared to other alternative sources.

I'd be interested to know if Indmar could or is working with GM to incorporate the technology on to our Vortec's to burn E85 in the future. It currently cost automakers an additional $200 per vehicle.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/02/06/8367959/index.htm?cnn=yes

As for the current price of oil and gas, it frustrates me that we have more supply year over year with similiar and some times less demand on a weekly basis, yet the prices are approx 1/3 higher on continued speculation in the markets.

Ric
01-31-2006, 06:39 PM
Yes I think they did break down the profits by industry but I dont have the copy here.

I think their point is if we think we're being bent over by exxonmobil then we must also think we're being bent over by Microsoft, Walmart, GM, Ford, Fedex, IBM, Cisco etc...
Some of us may actually think that way of our nations highest taxpayers but exxonmobil is the scapegoat this week
budweiser, kraft foods, johnson & johnson and proctor & gamble must be next on the list :rolleyes:
we need to sic our local congresswoman onto baseball and the nfl if we really want to talk about gouging and profit margins(especially the beer vendors)... kidding sheila, kidding, didn't mean to give out any ideas!

I guess I don't see the difference between dependancy and addiction.

Ric, so how were their profits broken down in that ad?

Bottom line is that they've got the consumer bent over here. We have to pay more to play. My SUV is parked and my new-to-me Honda is my daily. It's amazing how much more efficient that car is.

More bottom line. These companies are in business to make money and they don't care if we're a little ticked off if it increases their profits exponentially. The line that they walk is not looking too greedy. And let's face it, political labels aside, my bet is that this is a pretty big oil-friendly administration. So it's not surprising to me that they're getting away with a little more. But there is a point no matter who's got the con, that they can look too greedy and we all shout bloody murder, and the govt. in turn starts looking at their activities oh so closely, and things settle down.

Yes, I'm for less government intrusion in our lives and business.
Yes, I still remember what that is.
Yes, this used to be how the current ruling party operated.
Yes it makes sense to me that when a party founded upon limited goverment gets control of everything, limited government doesn't have the same ring to them that it once did.
No, I don't like it one bit.
No, I'm not affiliated with a political party.

JEREMY79
01-31-2006, 07:48 PM
cYou are welcome 79... One day we are driving around in MCs and the next we have to sell them for half of what we paid, just to pay the house note. I LOVE high dollar gas. I don't feel sorry for folks who pay $3 gas at the pumps. I make damn good money today, but could get laid off and make ZERO tomorrow.

True dat!! ( sorry I didnt ask permission)

Nobody thinks about those days here except you and me. High dollar gas dosnt bother me a bit because I know I have a job tomorrow. When I see oil start falling that is the time to worry. No money= no holes being drilled. That sucks for us service guys. I know that you and I are on opposite ends but it is the same investor money that writes our check.

AirJunky
01-31-2006, 07:55 PM
Interesting way to look at it. Guess I should hope your medical insurance costs go thru the roof so I can enjoy my MC even longer.

JEREMY79
01-31-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm not saying that. Medical is a crazy thing anyway. When I have to get a shot and it cost me $500 that is wrong. I dont care how much money you make per year that is wrong. People always get sick. People dont always drill wells.

AirJunky
01-31-2006, 08:27 PM
Well I think the point that several people have made here is that when the oil companies are making money faster than ANY COMPANY IN HISTORY...... that it's just plain wrong. Especially when it effects everything down the line, ie; food, medical supplies, heating, etc.

east tx skier
01-31-2006, 08:34 PM
Interesting way to look at it. Guess I should hope your medical insurance costs go thru the roof so I can enjoy my MC even longer.

I could probably say something here, but lawyers tend to be employable in good times and in bad. Actually, that's not really true across the board and I have some friends who have recently been laid off. Plus, I should probably just enjoy it for a second that people on this board aren't bagging on us scumbag lawyers for once. :)

But funny story, the reason I went to law school is because my dad was in the oil business. In 1986, when it all went south for him, I, at age 12 or so, assessed the situation and decided the only people who were getting paid were the lawyers. Seemed reasonable at the time.

JEREMY79
01-31-2006, 09:20 PM
what did he do, doug

east tx skier
01-31-2006, 09:34 PM
Who, my dad? Oil Tycoon. ;)

Actually, he owned an oil company and cofounded an engineering and contruction company that built refineries, pipelines, etc.

JEREMY79
01-31-2006, 09:37 PM
Just wondered

east tx skier
01-31-2006, 09:44 PM
Honestly, I just wanted to say the word "tycoon." Hope I'm not leaving the wrong impression. Hence the winky afterwards. My dad was a hard working guy. Toward the end of his career, the market hit a pretty drastic downshift which is well summarized by Brad's comment.

Here today. Gone tomorrow. Way it goes.

By the way, great quote in your signature.

Leroy
01-31-2006, 10:03 PM
OK Doug; I can sense you are felling left out now. It must be awkward not being bagged on!

Top management must be lawyers!

bradamerry
01-31-2006, 10:25 PM
I don't realy care what happens. I could go to work with Uncle Leroy or Uncle 137 tomorrow... ;)

bradamerry
01-31-2006, 10:25 PM
And my MC is paid for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

bradamerry
01-31-2006, 10:26 PM
Adding to my post count now!!!! :woohoo:

twieder
01-31-2006, 11:13 PM
Ok looks like a hot topic.So I'd like to ask a question that the federal government just can't seem to grasp.
I'm guessing that most people(atleast on this site)don't live in cities large enough to provide mass transit. I don't.
Many have to travel for work.I work construction and job sites vary sometimes week to week!I don't have anyone close to commute with.

They keep saying conserve, but when the closest Wal-Mart, McDonalds, Lowes or anything but a bar is 10+ mile drive each way!

:mad: Oh BTW gas went to $2.50 a gallon today,the day after record profits :mad:

Todd '04_PS197
01-31-2006, 11:35 PM
Just learned on the news tonight that NC's Governor sent a letter to the Federal Government requesting a formal investigation into the record high profits made by oil company's, stating consumers are being hit hard by record high gas prices while at the same time oil company's are making record high profits.

Interesting when NC just increased the gas tax in the state by $0.03 per gallon effective January 1, 2006.

Regardless, I'll pay the price to be on the water as much as the weather will allow.

JEREMY79
02-01-2006, 07:14 AM
Just my opinion. Gas is too high when you quit buying it to put in your boat and big a_ _ truck. Until then its not too high. but like I said earlier, doesnt bother me,
oh, my MC is paid for too!

Leroy
02-01-2006, 08:25 AM
Good to see you on here Brad! I'm planning on moving in with you as soon as Thomson turns out the lights here! :uglyhamme

I don't realy care what happens. I could go to work with Uncle Leroy or Uncle 137 tomorrow... ;)

Ron Grover
02-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Let's get real does anyone really expect something to be done about this as long as there are 2 oil men in the White House?

As Bill O'Reilly says,"Who's Lookin' Out For You?"

Guaranteed it isn't the ones making a killing with oil in the ground or companies building equipment to get it out of the ground.

Ric
02-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Let's get real does anyone really expect something to be done about this as long as there are 2 oil men in the White House?

As Bill O'Reilly says,"Who's Lookin' Out For You?"

Guaranteed it isn't the ones making a killing with oil in the ground or companies building equipment to get it out of the ground.
when oil prices are high is when the best chance is for something to "get done". This opens many doors for the substitute designs and theories out there.

Ric
02-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Ok looks like a hot topic.So I'd like to ask a question that the federal government just can't seem to grasp.
I'm guessing that most people(atleast on this site)don't live in cities large enough to provide mass transit. I don't.
Many have to travel for work.I work construction and job sites vary sometimes week to week!I don't have anyone close to commute with.

They keep saying conserve, but when the closest Wal-Mart, McDonalds, Lowes or anything but a bar is 10+ mile drive each way!

:mad: Oh BTW gas went to $2.50 a gallon today,the day after record profits :mad:
Mine is 2.23 a gallon today

captain planet
02-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Just learned on the news tonight that NC's Governor sent a letter to the Federal Government requesting a formal investigation into the record high profits made by oil company's, stating consumers are being hit hard by record high gas prices while at the same time oil company's are making record high profits.

Interesting when NC just increased the gas tax in the state by $0.03 per gallon effective January 1, 2006.

Regardless, I'll pay the price to be on the water as much as the weather will allow.
As I noted earlier, I have spoke with Sen, DeWine (OH) about this and the CEO's are going to be brought back for questioning and this time I understand they will be under oath. If your as frustrated with this as me, call your senators, they represent you. I mean, DeWine is a republican and he is interested in looking into it.

I agree, boating for me is a way of life, I will pay it (gas prices) because I don't know what else to do from June till Sept.

This high gas price really firms up the saying "my boat runs on gas, not thanks."

east tx skier
02-01-2006, 03:31 PM
I'll repeat something I said last Labor Day when gas was over $3 per gallon for 89 octane and we had the river virtually to ourselves with great weather.

If you'd asked me a year before that if I'd pay $3 per gallon to have the river to myself on a holiday weekend, I'd have said heck yeah. It was nice to be sure, but the reality of it was a little more painful at the pump.