PDA

View Full Version : 303 Aerospace protectant to restore gelcoat????

milkmania
01-31-2006, 10:49 AM
http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=309

haven't tried it yet, but here's their instructions......
303 AEROSPACE PROTECTANT
SUBJECT: Gelcoat Fiberglass Application

There are two great methods of using 303 Aerospace Protectant to bring back a like-original color and gloss to oxidized gelcoat fiberglass:

Method 1).
Spray 303 Aerospace Protectant on the surface liberally, rub it around with your hand or a thoroughly saturated sponge or cloth to assure the gelcoat is thoroughly wetted with 303. After a couple of hours if any portion of the surface is dull, apply more 303 to that portion. Let soak in for 12-24 hours. The entire surface will look like new, but to complete the job all the unabsorbed 303 must be wiped away. This is easily done with a clean towel and bucket of clean water. Soak the towel in the water, wring out most of the water and wipe down the gelcoat. If it is a large area, you will have to rinse out the towel periodically.

As you do this to the entire area a section at a time, you'll have to follow the wetting and wiping with the wet towel by drying with a dry towel. So the procedure is, wipe an section with the wet towel, then wipe it completely dry with the dry towel. Turn the drying-towel over to a dry area to finish the drying. You can't completely finish an area with a damp towel, you must finish the drying with a dry towel.
Hint: Extra enthusiasm in drying with the dry towel makes the finish MORE repellent...to resist soiling and staining. And it makes the treated area LAST LONGER.

Old towels are excellent for this purpose, but any large, absorbent, non-abrasive clean material can be used. Afterward, launder and dry the towels for reuse.

Method 2).
Wash the surface to remove surface dirt & grit. Then use a variable speed power buffer (set not to exceed 1800 rpm) with a synthetic wool pad(or equivalent). Spray 303 on the surface, spread with the buffer on low, then increase the Rpmís & buff in until dry. Professionals utilizing this method achieve a labor savings of at least 80% compared to standard buffing & waxing, while producing a more lustrous and beautiful, longer lasting finish.
Note: In some cases, pre-buffing may be required. Be sure to use a buffing compound which leaves no wax or polymer finish.

RESULTS and BENEFITS:
Once properly applied, 303-treated gelcoat repels dust, dirt and moisture, stays cleaner longer and cleans up easier when finally soiled.

To prevent the reoccurrence of both UV fading and oxidation, periodically reapply 303 Aerospace Protectant (spray on/wipe dry). This will provide continuing UV protection and keep the gelcoat surface like new.

BrianM
01-31-2006, 12:19 PM
I have not used it to restore the gelcoat but do spray a bit on the gel every couple of weeks and buff with a clean cloth. Really gives a nice wet shine in between waxings. Also the UV inhibitors should be really good protection from fading.

erkoehler
01-31-2006, 12:30 PM
HM, it won't turn the gelcoat pink will it :eek:

vegashomeexpert
01-31-2006, 02:14 PM
http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=309

haven't tried it yet, but here's their instructions......
True miracle product: excellent sunscreen & keeps the mesquitos away, heals cuts, keeps dandruff at bay, removes plaque & tarter, great engine fogger, restores scratched sunglasses to original condition, stops engine oil leaks, removes oilspots from driveway, and repairs yellow rings left in your grass by man's best friend! Just kidding, don't try any of this, but it does seem we are finding new uses for it every day!

1984StarsandStripes
01-31-2006, 03:07 PM
Hmmm wonder if it will work... This spring it would be nice to clean and restore my gel back to a nice luster! Anyone out there using this?

mrcrowson
01-31-2006, 03:13 PM
I use it on more than the GEL. I have used it on the tires and spare, inside on the skins, on the dash, and did the sides and undersides of the MC in under 30 min. It looks really great and leaves no slippery residue.

ski_king
01-31-2006, 05:19 PM
It works, I have used it for this. Be sure to put a good coat of wax on top of it.

TonyB
02-02-2006, 12:15 PM
I bath in it.

;)

jrcarte78
02-02-2006, 12:20 PM
It works, I have used it for this. Be sure to put a good coat of wax on top of it.

My boat is pretty sun faded from all the years. I had purchased a 3M marine product that advertises itself as a rubbing compound and wax together. I was hoping this would bring back some of the shine. But, now I think I'll try 303. Should I use 303 first and then wax or use the 3M product first and then 303?

1984StarsandStripes
02-02-2006, 03:12 PM
How much does it take to go over the hull?

mrcrowson
02-02-2006, 05:04 PM
How much does it take to go over the hull?

I think it took me around 1/4 +/- I want to say to cover my hull.. seems to me a little went a long way. it leaves a very smooth FRESH WAXED feeling when buffed in... NICE :headbang:

milkmania
02-02-2006, 06:44 PM
I think it took me around 1/4 +/- I want to say to cover my hull.. seems to me a little went a long way. it leaves a very smooth FRESH WAXED feeling when buffed in... NICE :headbang:

one thing Dennis @ 303products mentioned was to use a sponge to apply 303, and put the sponge in a zip lock bag for the next time....also I read somewhere on their site that someone did a whole fiberglass travel trailer and didn't use a whole lot....but I can't find the exact place on their website yet:(

milkmania
02-02-2006, 06:46 PM
although I can't say this product did a whole lot for my teak, you can see what it did for my trailer's gel-coat....... haven't found anything to get that close yet, even buffing with 3M products gave me nothing:(

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/DSCF5078.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/DSCF5077.jpg

just getting started......I want to follow it up with launching the boat, and doing the whole trailer

milkmania
02-02-2006, 06:51 PM
found it

http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=311

milkmania
02-03-2006, 12:10 AM
bucky, see if this will work

milkmania
02-03-2006, 12:11 AM
fender post #2

bucky
02-03-2006, 12:15 AM
Wow! I'll be darned if I"ll spend another 8 hours hand waxing if it looks like that. How well does it hide scratches?

milkmania
02-03-2006, 12:18 AM
when I was wiping it down, I could see gouges that I'd not seen before, and they were pretty transparent

I'll get a close up tomorrow;)

you know, I got to thinking today.....when I 303'd my wife's truck, I also 303'd my computer monitor's plastic frame & base..... virtually dust free today!

(not the LCD screen itself)

Sodar
02-03-2006, 12:44 AM
Is this a publicly trader company? If it is I want to buy stock with how much you guys use it!!

1984StarsandStripes
02-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Wow! I'll be darned if I"ll spend another 8 hours hand waxing if it looks like that. How well does it hide scratches?

I believe you still have to put a coat of wax over the 303... is this correct.

TonyB
02-16-2006, 11:49 AM
My red 91 Prostar was beginning to look b-a-a-a-d. Embarrassingly so.

Last night I sprayed it down, tip to tail.

This morning I'm a proud owner once again. It's gorgeous.

Now, if I can just get those new decals from Jim@BAWS, I'll be in high cotton.

M-Funf
02-24-2006, 02:30 PM
So, I'm guessing that I should wash the whole boat with a good detergent like "dawn" to remove all the wax first, do the 303 thing, and then apply wax over the top, right?

Where do I buy this stuff???

X-45
02-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Ok, I use 303 myself and love it but I haven't tried it on my gel coat. Is the 303 removing the chalking. When you wipe it down does the cloth or sponge have the sun faded gel coat. Is it repairing the gel coat or is it placing a wax coat that pulls out the shine. I'm so use to spending all day waxing the boat. I'd love to spray on and rub in. I'm already spraying it all over the interior and using the fabric guard on the cover.

:firejump:

jimmer2880
02-24-2006, 08:09 PM
Ok, I use 303 myself and love it but I haven't tried it on my gel coat. Is the 303 removing the chalking. When you wipe it down does the cloth or sponge have the sun faded gel coat. Is it repairing the gel coat or is it placing a wax coat that pulls out the shine. I'm so use to spending all day waxing the boat. I'd love to spray on and rub in. I'm already spraying it all over the interior and using the fabric guard on the cover.

:firejump:

Caution! Threadjack on....

X45 - is that a Kubota in your avatar? My dad wants one real bad, but just can't quite justify the $$$'s.

X-45
02-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Caution! Threadjack on....

X45 - is that a Kubota in your avatar? My dad wants one real bad, but just can't quite justify the $$$'s.

Yes, and I love it. I haven't run through the woods yet but I live on a very steep hill. Itís like the little engine that could. 21.something HP diesel engine hydrostatic transmission and power steering with dump bed. I justify it because it is a diesel and I tend to keep things a long time. It is priced about the same as other UTV side by sides

:banana: :steering: :jumping:

jimmer2880
02-27-2006, 07:34 AM
Yes, and I love it. I haven't run through the woods yet but I live on a very steep hill. Itís like the little engine that could. 21.something HP diesel engine hydrostatic transmission and power steering with dump bed. I justify it because it is a diesel and I tend to keep things a long time. It is priced about the same as other UTV side by sides

:banana: :steering: :jumping:

I bet that dump bed sure is nice. How is it for climbing? and more-importantly - coming back down? My pop has some land which is rather steep (it can be climbed, but coming back down controlled is a challenge). Is it comporable to a 4-wheeler in it's braking power?

I'll have to pass on that info to him. He'll appreciate it.