PDA

View Full Version : Ark-La-Tex

Farmer Ted
07-20-2004, 07:43 PM
Guess I'll carry the discussion over to the new place, which ROCKS!!!!

Man I wiped out so bad yesterday I tore the lifejacket off, I'm just now starting to feel the affects of a $hit load of Aleve. Need to find a heating pad.....

Like the new webpage!!!

east tx skier
07-20-2004, 10:12 PM
Yeah, alieve is a life-saver. Tim, did you get an email about a clinic at some lake in Shreveport/b-city a month or so ago. I'm not sure if there's a full time ski school over there or if it was a clinic at someone's lake.

Since this picture was taken in an Ark-La-Tex lake, I figured I'd post it to see if I could figure out how to do this on the new board. I'd love to set up a course on this lake.

Farmer Ted
07-20-2004, 11:18 PM
Doug,

I didn't get an email about a clinic, was it Champion Lake? It's a private lake right smack in the middle of Bossier/Shreveport. I emailed the POC from the USA Waterski sight but never got a reply. I'd like to get my daughter into an organized program as early as possible.

That's a nice shot, what lake is that again?

T

bradamerry
07-20-2004, 11:23 PM
I'm in guys, it looks pretty cool here.

BriEOD
07-21-2004, 08:32 AM
Doug is that you in the photo?

MarkP
07-21-2004, 08:45 AM
Brian

I was going to ask that, but whoever it is looks pissed, so:confused:

BriEOD
07-21-2004, 08:50 AM
I agree they don't look happy. Why wouldn't they, they're out on the river skiing! :)

east tx skier
07-21-2004, 10:38 AM
Yeah, that's me. I finally put a picture of myself up there ... the angry young man. I'm working on smiling more when I ski (seriously). No matter what, I'm having fun. That was my first day on the Mapple, so I was basically doing everything I could to keep from eating it.

That's Cypruss Bayou on Caddo.

Tim, I'll check the water ski forum for that guy's name and see if he has an email posted. Don't know if it's Champion or not. My wife used to go see the Bud tournaments over there. We're going to check out regionals in Houston this weekend.

MarkP
07-21-2004, 11:39 AM
Doug, trust me when I tell you that I mean no offence by this but check this out..;) .. http://www.skilimited.com/xq/asp/clickpath.144~/base_no.4NF-ABS/str_base_no.BB-LACEW,BB-TANLS,XBB-WATERB,4BW-CG,4BO-52,X4BO-CB,X4SN-HG,4PC-GT,RE-CT,3CH-PO,2CO-LH,3SW-EZ,RE-MT,4FE-SS,4FS-FW,4FX-ABS,X3FX-BBS,4FX-CH,2FX-HT,3FX-019,/header_title./page_name.prod_list_display.asp/search_type.L0~144/ShowImages.yes/sq.40/cont.1/intPgNo.6/qx/product.htm

east tx skier
07-21-2004, 12:19 PM
None taken, Mark. I'm on a different pair this year as I'm 30 pounds lighter than I was in that picture. I gotta say though, although they were long, those board shorts (in the picture) are still the best I've owned for getting up on a slalom ski and not having your boys get pelted by the water during the first few seconds of the drag.

east tx skier
07-21-2004, 12:46 PM
Tim, the lake in B-city is Cottonwood.

http://www.nlta.org/

There's a link at the bottom of that page to email for info. The guy that contacted me about it posts on another site (Water Ski Forum) as "JD"

They're having a tournament there in August. Not sure if I'll make it down for it or not yet.

BriEOD
07-21-2004, 01:16 PM
Doug, I printed out the photo and it's now on my dart board! :D Just kidding. That river looks wild with the trees right on the edge, there looks to be no bank. That would be a bad day if you got swung in. What was your secret to lose all the weight out of curiosity?

bcampbe7
07-21-2004, 01:22 PM
Farmer Ted-
Sweet avator...
Are you from Iowa or just a fan? I grew-up about 20 minutes from Iowa City.

east tx skier
07-21-2004, 02:53 PM
Brian, the picture is a little deceiving. The skier is usually nowhere close to hitting those trees. We may have been coming around a corner and I swung out a little wide. The narrowest the bayou gets (where we're skiing) is probably 250' wide (a guess). Obviously, when we meet another boat, the skier is behind the towboat.

As for losing the weight, I gave that Zone diet a second chance. But the thing I'm convinced caused me to lose the weight is the fact that I stopped drinking Lipton's instant sweetened tea (big yellow can). I used to be hooked on that stuff and downed tumblers of it morning noon and night. That, in combo with a 40/40/20 diet enabled me to drop about 30 pounds in 2 months. Since I hit my target, I've maintained it give or take 2-4 lbs since April. Nowadays I'm pretty much eating whatever I want since I don't want to lose any more weight. But I'm trying to keep a lot of healthy foods coming down the pipe, too, for obvious reasons. I also run 2.5 miles a day, 4x a week and hit the weights 3-4 times a week in addition to skiing whenever I can. But the exercise only got me down about 9 lbs. The rest was diet.

BriEOD
07-21-2004, 04:09 PM
Yeah, funny diets are. I have a buddy that dropped 60 lbs by not eating after 7pm and running 4 miles a day M-F. We grew up together and I hadn't seen him since last X-mas. When I was home in June I almost didn't recognize him. Ironically, he is an attorney as well in construction law. Big buisness in Tampa/Orlando.

east tx skier
07-21-2004, 04:38 PM
I should've probably said that that was 30 lbs in a year, but 20 in the last 1.5 months. The first 9 was all exercise. The last 20 was diet. Now I regulate with exercise, and to he|| with the diet (to an extent).

bradamerry
07-21-2004, 04:51 PM
Doug, You, Tim and I need to take a cruise down the Cypress one day.

east tx skier
07-21-2004, 05:16 PM
I agree. Although by the looks of things, my weekends aren't going to free up much for a while. Plus, it'll be a while before I'll be taking my boat or any other boat toward Louisiana on Caddo as there's something non-liquid in the channel that causes my bank account to drop.

bradamerry
07-21-2004, 05:31 PM
Doug, Tim and I need to come take a cruise down the Cypress with you..

east tx skier
07-21-2004, 05:37 PM
I probably won't be back down there until mid-September at the earliest.

André
07-21-2004, 06:08 PM
Doug
Do you mean you're taking care of your F.I.L. boat's bill for the incident? :eek:

Farmer Ted
07-21-2004, 08:04 PM
bcampbe7,

I am from Iowa, grew up on the south side of Des Moines right across the street from the airport pond. Joined the AF right out of High School, judge gave me the option of going to prison or military....pretty much a no brainer.

Just kidding.

I just made an AE dip and Amana steak run last week, almost out of both.

The HAWKS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd take them over LS Booo anyday (sorry Brad)

Where are you now? Your profile didn't show.

Brian,

I lost about 25 pounds from the day I found out when I was going to court and the day I appeared in court. I wouldn't recommend the Farmer Ted diet though. It was a tough 9 years to pick up the weight, and a quick 30 days to loose it.
I actually lost another 115 pounds per se on June 24th (got that monkey off my back!)

Doug,

I never saw the story, or pics of your FIL's boat. *** did you hit?
I took my rig down south 4th of July weekend and we were out trying to ski and I kicked a stump while I was in the water.....needless to say we idled in and out of gear to the ramp and got the kcuf out of dodge before I did a Doug...

Farmer Ted
07-21-2004, 08:30 PM
Andre,

ma petite amie française a dit que je lèche le meilleur chat

cela expliquerait pourquoi mes oreilles ressemblent à une poignée de pistolet

aucune mer trop rugueuse, aucun "muff" ; trop durs, nous plongeons à 5

That last one loses a little in the translation?

montrez-nous quelques images de votre bateau !

bcampbe7
07-21-2004, 08:48 PM
Farmer Ted
I grew upin a little town called Oxford. It's about 5-10 minutes east of Amana.
I now live in Middle Tennessee, just south of Nashville. It's beautiful down here.

Ya, we make our quarterly trips to Iowa to see the family and get some red meat. The steak and hamburger down here just doesn't compare.

If you are ever in middle Tennessee give me a shout...

Beau

BriEOD
07-21-2004, 10:51 PM
Guys,

Not looking for a diet. I am just always curious what people do to lose weight. Tim, stress with do that to you. I remember when I was a teenager watching my mom go to skin and bones while my dad was dieing. The woman did not eat! Myself, I've always been a sparkplug. 5ft 9" about 180-190. I've been wearing 32" pants since highschool though. I used to lift alot! Now I just run, play some pick up basketball with the neighbor kids.

bcampbe7
07-22-2004, 08:31 AM
I went from about 200# to 180# by eating slower, which resulted in eating less. I also started doing sit-ups and push-ups at night along with some dumb bell workouts.

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 09:04 AM
Eating slower?

bcampbe7
07-22-2004, 09:25 AM
Yeah, I could eat a plate of food in like 60 seconds. I don't like to waste time eating. Taking my time gives my stomach time to think. I get full without eating as much food.

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 09:28 AM
I gotcha, kind of like drinking a few glasses of water before you eat. Good thought.

east tx skier
07-22-2004, 10:33 AM
Andre, yes, t'was my f-up, t'is my bill.

Tim, we're guessing it was a submerged channel marker. Apparently, they break off from time-to-time and float around. Just a case of me being in the right place (smack dab in the boat road) at the wrong time.

Nobody was hurt, so I'm counting my lucky stars.

We idled back to the ramp as slow as I've ever driven a boat. There was no avoiding the prop to glass contact. That sucker was just bent way up!

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 12:57 PM
Doug any photos?

east tx skier
07-22-2004, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I took some right after it happened, just in case I needed them. If I have time tonight, I'll post them when I get home. It sounds a lot worse than it looked.

Wow, just noticed the new emoticons.

If I may, ...

:woohoo:

Nice!

André
07-22-2004, 02:25 PM
Doug
OUch!That's bad,having to spend that kind of money for repairs on somebody else boat...Picking up the tab is a sign of a great (...and less rich) man! :cool:
Is the boat ready yet?

east tx skier
07-22-2004, 02:30 PM
Well, I was driving, so it's my responsibility as I see it.

Should be ready the first part of next week. I'm expecting the prop back any day now. After that, I need to get the glass work done. In my experience, it takes them a week to get to it, and a few hours to do.

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 03:23 PM
Isn't that the truth Doug. That's a good reason why I don't like driving other peoples stuff or having them drive mine. In your case a little different being family. :steering:

east tx skier
07-22-2004, 04:30 PM
Yeah, he's one of the few people I'm truly comfortable having drive my boat. The upside is that he understands how mental I am about these things, i.e., won't wear my shoes in the boat, won't go much over idle until it warms up, etc. So at least there's no perception that I was out there driving like a jack@ss. He was as understanding as I would aspire to be if the rolls were reversed.

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure what end of that is worse, the wrecker or wreckee. :confused:

east tx skier
07-22-2004, 05:24 PM
His end is worse. We took him skiing on Friday though. He's building a boathouse at the moment, so is pretty occupied fortunately.

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 05:27 PM
Building a boat house...must be nice at this point I can only dream. Gimme another 10 years though.

east tx skier
07-22-2004, 05:57 PM
It's been his dream for a long time. He just finished a pier that's buit like Ft. Knox (two lag bolts per side securing cross supports every 16 inches covered with tar paper to prevent rot). Composite decking laid lengthwise and staggered.

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 05:59 PM
Is he doing it himself? You ought to get him to build you a lift and house to! :love:

MarkP
07-22-2004, 06:35 PM
Dude, I wish I could. All I can say is, "Work it Out", or Get-er dun. Or I could do the “Banana Dance”, but it’s a sad sad day when a man says his ski season is over..

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 06:40 PM
Well, I'll get out but, my #1 boat driver will not. Plus, as I am sure you will agree a boat is no place for a newborne. It just won't be as fun.

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 06:41 PM
What kind of Tequilla is that in your Avatar Mark? :toast:

MarkP
07-22-2004, 09:06 PM
Brian,

That is Chinaco, Bold flavor with a nice smoky finish. :friday: But if you have a more delicate palate, you may want to try the Don Eduardo, a little milder with a nice smooth finish, (not as smoky though)

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 09:10 PM
This is totally a serious statement, without Tequilla I probably would not be married (to this woman anyway) nor would I have a son due in a month...Strong Stuff! :friday:

MarkP
07-22-2004, 09:16 PM
Dude, how do you think I got #3... Remember, “never let them out number YOU”:toast:

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 09:26 PM
Well, with the boy coming It'll put things back even. Right now I'm the minority. Plus, according to my daughter, "mommy is the boss." (I hope RickD doesn't read this I'll never here the end!) :dance:

Farmer Ted
07-22-2004, 09:28 PM
OK Bri,

Do we need to start an Oprah thread? I'd love to hear the story of how you met your wife.

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 09:57 PM
You asked for it. I'll just give the Readers Digest version. I had been at Hickam not long. For you non AF types Hickam is an AFB in Hawaii, adjacent to Pearl Harbor. I was at the EOD Flight at the Wing, she was up on HQ PACAF Staff. I used to have to go up there all the time when the Chief and the Supt would go TDY around PACAF (Pacific AF-Alaska, Japan, Korea, Etc.) and answer the phone, return the Chief's email, good stuff, not. Anyhow, ran into her infrequently, etc. Now, my flight was wild (12 guys that blow stuff up). We had an old Fire Station that we renovated ourselves, full bar, kitchen, volleyball court, brick barb-q pit, and at the end of my tour we even had a hot tub, no BS! It was a beautiful building the Wing Commander (General) would even stop by to have a beer now and then. We had a party almost every Friday. One Friday-Weekend was St. Patty's and their are only 2 Irish Pubs on the Island (I love Guiness and can trace my roots back to Ireland, no, I'm not Irish, I'm American!). They're down in Honolulu across from Aloha Tower (those of you that have been there). They were throwing a block party. So, we had a pre-party and then all headed down there. Well, somehow a friend brought her to our flight and I ended up "getting to know her". We end up at the block party, of course it's mainly military (Hickam, Pearl Harbor, Kaneohe Marine Corps Air Station, Schofield Barracks, like 200K military on that island). People are having a good time etc. Someone bought some tequilla shots and well lets just say we were consuming them in some interesting ways. I haven't always been the tame, father I am now. One thing led to another, I wake up in a bed that's not at my house in the morning. I can't get rid of this woman as time goes by. :D DEROS is up I pop orders for Aviano, Italy and am going to have to leave her (been like a year now). End up married (you know the drill), lose my assignment to Aviano because she is senior to me and drives the assignment and end up here in Charleston BSing with ya'll. It's been like 9 years or so now since it began. Good women, lots of fun. It's worked out well. But lets just say my wife who is pretty conservative gets a little wild when Jose comes out.

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 10:02 PM
That's life I guess...

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Someone else's turn I'm not the only one on the Timmy Springer show! :banana:

bcampbe7
07-22-2004, 10:22 PM
Dude, that's got to suck when she pulls rank on you... :noface:

I met my wife during my senior year of high school. We were at a New Years Eve party. She was drunk, I wasn't. We've been together ever since, about 10 years. Married for 3.
I already see a pattern here. Something about alcohol and marriage. :confused:

NeilM
07-23-2004, 12:35 AM
Great story, Brian.. Maybe someday when this place is slow, I'll tell mine..

Anyway - point I wanted to make - while the boat may not be cool for a newborn, both my son and my daughter (now 24 and 21) were in the boat at 3 months and 2 1/2 months while we all skied.:cool:

Strange...:rolleyes: they still come with us on vacation.. and you can't get them out of the boat....

Great pic, too!

BriEOD
07-23-2004, 08:10 AM
Beau, Well not for long she doesn't! :D I'm not complaining about her paycheck either.

Thanks Neil, I will definitely have this little dude out their early. Maybe we'll try and break the youngest skier recrod (Parks Bonifay 6 mo).

MarkP
07-23-2004, 09:40 AM
(light bulb smile) You know what I just thought of…………………

Somebody just may be in the market for an open bow soon….(extra gear, diaper bag, bouncy seat, etc, etc)

All of my kids hit the water between 3 and 6 mo. Depending on when they were born.

east tx skier
07-23-2004, 10:19 AM
Sat next to my wife in Family Law. Yeah, she's a lawyer, too. We were in Houston, TX at the time. Wasn't much of a skier then, but she sure was. All she could talk about was how much she wanted a MasterCraft. "Lots a luck with that one," I thought. We dated for 4 years, she moved to northeast Texas after 2. Did the long distance thing. Put miles on the car. Got a job up here, moved. 6 months later - engaged. 6 months after that - married. Going on 3 years now. Best of times.

bradamerry
08-03-2004, 10:14 PM
Tim, sorry you guys missed this evening. Hope Jenn feels better. We did get a few sets in. See you tomorrow!!!

TalleyHo
08-05-2004, 10:10 PM
I think we had Blake out at 1 month. Life jackets and boats are just not made for little ones! He had a great time. Once he was able to stand, his favorite spot was on the back seat holding on to the pylon while daddy flew from side to side, or landed on his face. We'd get an 'oh du[de]!' out of him every once in a while. Now, he's pretty good on the boat -- sits still when we're skiing, etc.

His sister on the other hand... well.... she has to drive or we need to get a rope and tie her down. And I've heard CPS frowns on the latter. :)

bradamerry
02-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Kaylee Unplugged!! :headbang: :headbang:

Farmer Ted
02-08-2005, 06:29 PM
More like Wildman Unplugged.......

Farmer Ted
02-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Smack Down!!!

bradamerry
02-25-2005, 12:41 PM
More like Wildman Unplugged.......
There might have been a few of those cold beers around, before that pic was taken!!! :toast: