PDA

View Full Version : why the plastic fender wells

rodltg2
01-30-2006, 08:37 PM
the new 06' TT pic made me think of this.

my 197 had nice metal fender wells with diamond plating. why does mc use those plastic ones as well. to me i'd think that a top of the line boat ( team talkers say the best ) would finish off the trailer with nice fender wells. over time does the plastic keep up better?

Ric
01-30-2006, 08:59 PM
the new 06' TT pic made me think of this.

my 197 had nice metal fender wells with diamond plating. why does mc use those plastic ones as well. to me i'd think that a top of the line boat ( team talkers say the best ) would finish off the trailer with nice fender wells. over time does the plastic keep up better?
I dont think your trailer was made by Mastercraft.

The MC trailer fenders are gelcoated fiberglass made in the Tennesee plant in their own molds
Very strong actually and real real purdy

rodltg2
01-30-2006, 09:02 PM
ive never had a close look at them, most or all the trailers that come out of cope's here in rocklin have the diamond plating. im pretty sure they are mc trailers, everything else is the exact same.

Ric
01-30-2006, 09:04 PM
ive never had a close look at them, most or all the trailers that come out of cope's here in rocklin have the diamond plating. im pretty sure they are mc trailers, everything else is the exact same.
I thought someone on here from CA mentioned that there is something to do with shipping to CA, that many dealers there don't sell the trailers that MC manufactures???

Leroy
01-30-2006, 09:10 PM
That's what I remember from the tour. All fenders are fiberglass and made in house for the MC trailer.

Sodar
01-30-2006, 09:14 PM
I agree that the fenders are durable, but mine got hit a couple years ago and I am looking at $800 to fix it... it would be much cheaper if they were metal!

robisjo
01-30-2006, 09:26 PM
I purchased a used 98' anniversary edition from Copes in CA. I asked the sales guy why they put the new MC's on DHM trailers. He told me that it is easier and quicker to get repairs under warranty done on DHM trailers as they are manufactured in Sacto, CA. It takes too much time to send the trailers back to TN for repairs. Mine is a tandem axel DHM and it is really nice although I think I would rather have the MC trailer.

rodltg2
01-30-2006, 09:26 PM
well heres a pic of mine i had looks the same to me

sand2snow22
01-30-2006, 09:43 PM

There was a thread floating around awhile ago about this. I believe X2 Mamma has that trailer, it's not a Mastercraft trailer. Here is a pic of a Mastercraft trailer. Please excuse the mess. I like the plastic fenders with the rubber mat. Rod does your Malibu trailer have the LED lights? I like that too. Wish Mastercraft would make that standard.

SKI*MC
01-30-2006, 10:02 PM
Actually the dimond plate on the fenders is a MasterCraft by design thing that you can add. It is still a genuine MasterCraft trailer, just an upgraded option for the dimond plate fenders.

Hoosier Bob
01-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Wow! Why the plastic fender wells? Team Talkers say there the best? I have had numerous boats and trailers and I think the MC trailers are better than most of the competition's boats! Maybe some SoCal or No Cal or POSCal wants to cut corners. Why respond? W T F (another thread) .......... Have you seen these plastic fenders on anything on this site? Would you say the majority of trailers on this site appear to be the best in quality you have seen as compared to the competition? Plastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow! :confused: Sometimes I get the feeling you don't even own a MasterCraft! :D

sand2snow22
01-30-2006, 11:54 PM
Wow! Why the plastic fender wells? Team Talkers say there the best? I have had numerous boats and trailers and I think the MC trailers are better than most of the competition's boats! Maybe some SoCal or No Cal or POSCal wants to cut corners. Why respond? W T F (another thread) .......... Have you seen these plastic fenders on anything on this site? Would you say the majority of trailers on this site appear to be the best in quality you have seen as compared to the competition? Plastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow! :confused: Sometimes I get the feeling you don't even own a MasterCraft! :D

If they're plastic trailer fenders then my boat must be made out of plastic, too. Rod, I think he's calling you out. When are we going to get you back into a new MC? I'm thinking West Coast reunion down near you. Also, what do you think of that Ski and/or wakeboard school in your bay of the woods?

Ric
01-31-2006, 12:02 AM
yep, that is a dead ringer..... Or at least the MasterCraft decal is anyway :rolleyes:

X2M
01-31-2006, 01:09 AM
My trailer (and Rod's old one too) are made by SBT -Sport Boat Trailers- for MasterCraft...at least that is what the dealer told me. So no, they are not "true" from the factory trailers. Made in California.
:)

Diesel
01-31-2006, 10:34 AM
I do not like fiberglass (or plastic as they are sometimes called :D ) fenders. One blowout and your fender is toast and hopefully fender parts and/or tire shreds will not fly up into the boat. They are very expensive to repair compared to steel and can fade if parked outside for any period of time. I also do not like the way they flex when you step on them to get into the boat. I've even seen some crack from people climbing in and out of the boat using the fender. While MC trailers have come a long way I think steel fenders would be a very nice improvement.

kwood
01-31-2006, 01:44 PM
I think they are a sport boat trailer made in california, I got one with my 197 from cope

rodltg2
01-31-2006, 01:52 PM
i only say theyre plastic because they look plastic in your pictures. we dont get those trailers out here. i just think that the diamond plating adds some bling. if you guys say they good i believe you.

which wakeboard/waterski school to you speak of sand2snow?

Sodar
01-31-2006, 01:54 PM
I do not like fiberglass (or plastic as they are sometimes called :D ) fenders. One blowout and your fender is toast and hopefully fender parts and/or tire shreds will not fly up into the boat. They are very expensive to repair compared to steel and can fade if parked outside for any period of time. I also do not like the way they flex when you step on them to get into the boat. I've even seen some crack from people climbing in and out of the boat using the fender. While MC trailers have come a long way I think steel fenders would be a very nice improvement.

You have got it right on that one Diesel! Mine have so many stress cracks in them it is ridiculous! Steel would be a great improvement... perhaps stainless steel like all the hot boaters!!

jayocheskey
01-31-2006, 01:59 PM
I have the fiberglass wheel wells on my trailer as well. No fractures or anything like that yet. I hope to avoid that if possible.

DanC
01-31-2006, 02:12 PM
i only say theyre plastic because they look plastic in your pictures. we dont get those trailers out here. i just think that the diamond plating adds some bling. if you guys say they good i believe you.

which wakeboard/waterski school to you speak of sand2snow?

Ski World in Pleasanton sells the MasterCraft trailers with the fiberglass fenders. I have had all types of trailers, the diamond plate will eventually cause the fender under it to rust at the rivet/screw points. Fiberglass/steel, they have different good and bad points. My fiberglass fenders have not cracked, is parked outside 24/7 and have not faded yet, have survived a catastrphic blowout, and don't flex (steel bars underneath) unless you stand on the corner. But I kinda prefer metal fenders :rolleyes:

Ric
01-31-2006, 02:17 PM
ya, the steel or diamond plate fenders can get torn up in a blowout just as easily (dont ask me how I know)

another story, dont ask, I had an older mc trailer with the fiberglass fenders and ran over my own spare tire one night on a feeder road
yes, it flipped up and cracked the glass where it houses the brake lamp. It was nothing to patch it and certainly would have been mangled and not really repairable had it been steel or aluminum.

1markman
01-31-2006, 02:50 PM
I think it has been mentioned in the thread so far, but the trailers with the diamond plate are not MasterCraft trailers. At least out here in California, they are made by Sport Boat trailers. I had the Master Craft trailer on my '02 Xstar. I had the fiberglass fenders and they looked great. They did get spider cracks in the gel, but only I could see them because I knew where to look. That trailer was great. I put probably 20k miles on it with the several long hauls to Lake Mead and Lake Powell as well as just about every big lake in the west.

My new X-Star '05 has the sport boat trailer. It is also very nice. It does have the diamond plate fenders and such and does have a little more bling to it. It does not have oil bath hubs like my last trailer which I miss. My understanding is that Mastercraft is putting the new x-star on the same trailer as the old x-star. That may not be true, but it is obviously a much bigger boat. The sport boat trailer I have is much, much, beefier than my mastercraft trailer was. Again, no issues with either, but if they are using the same trailer as they used for the old X-star, I think I am happy I have the sport boat trailer.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Mark