PDA

View Full Version : dewinterization question

canadianskier
01-30-2006, 07:09 PM
I winterized my 190ps back in Nov, straight forward no problems. I just have one question about getting it ready for the spring time. Do I need to fill the cooling system up first though the hoses, or just back it in the water and let it run. any problems with air locks in the system at all on these motors. its a `92 btw

André
01-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Just drop that baby in water...with the plug in!

Cloaked
01-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Just drop that baby in water...with the plug in!That's all it takes....

If you fogged it, the engine will smoke for a few minutes but that is normal. The fogger will burn off.

I prime the carb with a 1/4 cup (or so) of gasoline to get mine to fire right off then allow the fuel pump to do its thAng...

flipper
01-30-2006, 09:12 PM
I always fill the hoses up with water first, then run it the driveway. The impeller comes with the lube, but have herd of problems with dry starting like that. It may not be necessary, but better safe than overheated.

88 PS190
01-30-2006, 10:40 PM
Really it depends what was done w/ it to winterize. If you duct taped the top of the spark arrestor and the exaust flappers open them again, if you have antifreeze in the block i'd pull the raw water hose and give her a go in a five gallon bucket of water w/ the hose into it, then you can bring it up to speed/heat in the drive and make sure your impeller is going to be fine before you launch.

The systems are self priming so yea you just have to submerge before starting... or else all those people w/ lifts would do alot of priming.

Other things to consider, is your battery charged and good, how are your cap and rotor and plugs, is the boat cleaned up and ready to rock. Also check your pitot tubes/ padle to determine if that is functional/ clear.

Basically anything that you'd put off once you were in the water, should be done preventitively.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-31-2006, 12:38 AM
I run mine with the fake a lake and catch the first gallon or so (As possible) so I don't pump the antifreeze from the system into the lake.

And have the battery tested at a battery shop. Its free and piece of mind for me.
Then we will plug in the tunes and rock the neighborhood for awhile so they all know what season is in.......:D

6ballsisall
01-31-2006, 12:45 AM
All this talk of dewinterizing is getting me anxious!!!! :eek:

east tx skier
01-31-2006, 11:19 AM
I would say, if you didn't use antifreeze, just drop it in and go. If you did, run it on a hose and try to catch as much as you can.

At least in my situation, the impeller has been in there for only an hour or so and was lubed up to get it in there. Of course, if your hoses are all disconnected anyway, it wouldn't be too difficult to pour some water into the pump housing from a high point if it makes you feel better. But if you replace the impeller every spring, a few seconds without water isn't going to hurt it (mine always come out looking near new).

canadianskier
02-02-2006, 12:27 AM
hey guys thanks for the input, iam a auto mechanic so everything was fairly simple, this being my first turnament style inboard just want to see what you guys recommend