PDA

View Full Version : What's The Secret For Filling Up Gas Tank?

jjc
09-14-2004, 10:15 PM
Last weekend I had to fill up my new '05 Maristar 210 for the first time. After watching the pump pass the $65 mark quickly, then $70, I thought I was starting to feel real pain - that was until it hit the magic $78 ball burner mark :eek: ! At $78 I heard a quick bubbling noise and then about two galloms of 92 octane sprayed out all over my shorts (and more important - the boys :eek: ) Oh what a burning sensation that was - I had to get to the ramp quickly to jump in the water, in fear that a nut fire was about to break out in my shorts :D . So, until someone comes up with a better idea, the old Maristar is only gettin' about $60 max at a time. One more fill-up and kids will definetly be out of the future :eek3: .

east tx skier
09-14-2004, 10:19 PM
This is a MC issue. I think I remember someone saying you could loop your fuel line a while back, but barring that, just pump slow and listen for that high pitched whistle of fuel coming up the line is all I can suggest. $78! Whoa!

dwe
09-14-2004, 11:44 PM
That happened to me too on my first fill up. I fill up on the way back from each outing, so we only use 8-10 gallons. I sit in the boat while someone pumps, wait till it gets close to what I think will fill it, then turn the key to on. I watch the gauge, and when it reaches full, I say stop. Haven't gushed since.

Stritt
09-15-2004, 12:07 AM
The loop in the gas line was a fix on my 96 205. On our 03 197 my son was sprayed with gas as he was asking me for candy at the gas station.......Not good! My new term to him is "Jacob, stay back dad is filling the gas tank, soon it will explode like a volcano". :woohoo:

I have spoke with MC, and they are looking into this issue.........I will be at the factory next Friday dropping my boat off and this is one of my many issues. Hopefully the problem will be corrected. :purplaugh

NeilM
09-15-2004, 12:22 AM
jjc,

You just can't fill em at "wide open throttle" on the nozzle. I wrap a couple of paper towels snugly around the nozzle while I'm filling, that way, if it does bubble up, the paper towels will stop the gas from spilling out.

After a few fills, you become accustomed to when it starts 'burbling' way down in the filler pipe. Stop filling at that point... let the 'burbling' stop, then re-start the nozzle on the slowest setting for the rest of the fill. I musta burned 500gals in our '02 MariStar 210 this summer, so I got pretty good at it.
Any spills on the fiberglass are easily diluted by your tears as you reach for your wallet...:cry:
It's not just MC... lots of boats require intricate procedures at the pump.. Some have to face uphill, some downhill (our MariStar fills better on a slight decline).

Stritt
09-15-2004, 02:03 AM
Anyone ever check with G&T Industries (manufacture of the vinyl) and see what the effect gas has on vinyl?..........I have. ;)

I know this has been covered before on the old board, but I am going to say it again. I did not spend 50K on a boat, so that I can baby the gas nozzle. Ever notice that your vehicle is also a self venting set-up? When's the last time you filled the family ride and got spattered with gas when the tank is 3/4 full? The hose from my tank to spout is maybe one foot within a 6" rise.

Terrible...Terrible...Terrible.

Again, very embarassing to have fuel spill everywhere. I will concede that if I fill the boat on the slowest pump feed it is not as bad. Then again my boat has about a 19-20 gallon tank, so I get to fill the thirsty LQ9 a little more often and consequently also get more erruptions.

My advice to MC. If the new design is not working as designed then go back to the days of having a seperate vent on the back of the boat. Even though this also spit fuel it was on the fiberglass, not on the vinyl and fiberglass. And yes, my vinyl is showing the effects as well as my rubrail and trailer.

Sorry, I had to vent....ummmm....no pun intended. ;)

ski_king
09-15-2004, 07:40 AM
My advice to MC. If the new design is not working as designed then go back to the days of having a seperate vent on the back of the boat.

I wonder if the newer vent (or ventless) design is a new EPA regulation. I have noticed new gas cans no longer have a seperate vent.

Sorry, I had to vent....ummmm....no pun intended. ;)
But a good pun :rolleyes:

mitch
09-15-2004, 09:45 AM
Not just MC having that problem. I've seen it on Bu and CC as well. I use the listen very carefully method, and almost never spill.

Rockman
09-15-2004, 01:49 PM
Same problem exists on the 40 gallon tank on our Barefoot200. Had the boat since '96 and am just getting close to figuring out the stop mark. We generally fill ours up at our dock with 5 gallon containers using a supercyphon (sp?). Also, built a funnel that attached to our lift and that works out well.

But when we take the boat the the gas station we just stuff some paper towels around the opeing and slowly fill up the tank.

I used to have a client that made hoses and couplings for alot of the big steel companies and also various other customers that needed high temperature rated hoses. They did not have a clear hose rated for gas. That would have been an easy fix. That way you could see when the overflow was about to come.

:twocents:

Leroy
09-15-2004, 02:23 PM
I have the same problem on my 2001 Maristar, after the volcano I now end up not getting it full. Leave it 1/8 to 1/4 from full. If anyone gets it fixed would like to see that.

Mag_Red
09-15-2004, 02:31 PM
My 2004 Prostar does the same thing. Infact, I can't remmber owning a boat that doesn't do this. I'm sure glad the auto industry figured this out. :smile:

DrNautica
09-15-2004, 02:54 PM
Wow, I thought it was just my boat! My '89 (yes, I said '89) Tristar 190 can't be filled past the 3/4 mark on the gauge. I've tried it on the trailer and in the water at different angles. The best so far is to have my boys (the living breathing ones, not the ones in your shorts) sit on the starboard rear corner of the boat as I fill (in the water). I fill very slowly and generally don't spill... too much. But, regardless of how slow I fill, I still can't get more than 3/4 tank. :mad:

I'm going to look into reworking the fuel filler and vent lines soon. I'll let you all know how it works out.

Hey, BTW, does anyone know the fuel capacity for my boat? I don't have a manual and haven't had any success at downloading anything off the net.

Thanks,
DrN.

mcprostar197
09-15-2004, 03:02 PM
It isnt just and MC problem. This happened all the time with our Glastron too. I think you just have to get the timimg right with the gurgling noise and you will be set.

MarkP
09-15-2004, 03:34 PM
My back seat has been out of the boat for about 2 ˝ Mos, so I just look at the tank while I fill it.

OhioProstar
09-15-2004, 03:56 PM
What year did they do away with a vent on the left side? Mine has that and will flow gas down the back of the boat when towing a short distance if I fill it past 26 gallons (29 gallon tank). It is however a heck of a lot better than getting it all over myself. Don't cars have anti-siphon valves that keep this problem from occuring?

Tom023
09-15-2004, 05:00 PM
My X30 does the same thing. I have owned five different brands of boats over the years and they all did it. My MC is certainly not the worst I've eperienced. I just listen for the sound and since fill number one, have not had another problem.

TalleyHo
01-04-2005, 03:30 PM
On my X2, I just open the back hatch and watch the tank. When I see the fuel getting near the top, I just cut it off. The gauge almost always reads full until the tank is half emtpy anyway. Then it is a race to the E from there. Amazing the technology today and we can't even measure the fluid in a tank accurately.

I've spilled a little over the edge, but not near the gallons that others apparently have donated to the environment. :)

Mag_Red
01-04-2005, 05:11 PM
What year did they do away with a vent on the left side? Mine has that and will flow gas down the back of the boat when towing a short distance if I fill it past 26 gallons (29 gallon tank). It is however a heck of a lot better than getting it all over myself. Don't cars have anti-siphon valves that keep this problem from occuring? Might be due to the Fuel Injected motors now days. All my carborated boats had that little vent thingy.

G-man
01-04-2005, 05:25 PM
The EfI motors have a "closed vent" fuel system. The overfill is in the gas fill area back to the tank. This is done because the fuel pump is in the tank. I don't know if this is correct but told to me by the local dealer.

Mag_Red
01-04-2005, 05:27 PM
The EfI motors have a "closed vent" fuel system. The overfill is in the gas fill area back to the tank. This is done because the fuel pump is in the tank. I don't know if this is correct but told to me by the local dealer. So do automobiles...........so why does the pump shut off when filling the car and not the boat???? :confused:

G-man
01-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Mag your right, I'm not sure why the dealer used that for an excuse.

jimmer2880
01-05-2005, 05:57 AM
My 95 EFI has a vent on the opposite side as the filler-tube.

Wonder when they stopped using the vent?

My 95 will burp out just a little bit when filling at a gas station, but nothing near what the current ones are apparently doing.

sizzler
01-05-2005, 08:03 AM
my barefoot 200 used to fill up real purrdy like,,no spill no mess...
my new X9 however was totally different,,,,,first time i filled her up,,she gushed all over me.......talk about great balls of fire!!!!

and yes the tears of having to pay $250 (at current fx rates)to fill her up,put out the flames...... :cry:

east tx skier
01-05-2005, 10:34 AM
My 93 carb boat spits some fuel before the shut off. I never figured it was an EFI thing.

Footin
01-05-2005, 11:03 AM
My experience with gasin up Mastercrafts:

My 87 PS190: fueled fine, would take it in on full blast.

My 1991 Barefoot 200: Took 15 minutes to put in 40 gallons, if you put it in fast it would fountian badly.

New 1995 PS 205: No experience yet.

Ben
01-05-2005, 11:13 AM
'94 205 EFI, vent on left & filler on the right.

Best procedure I found was to aim to be a few gallons shy of full. This way, I can go full blast on the pump and not get gas out the vent on the glass either at the pump or on the road as it bounces around. THere is some complecated math involved (add & subtract), so I'm not sure if that limits anyone on the board. Just figure out how many gallons you need to get to 27 or so based on experience w/the fuel gage (I think my tank is ~30 gal), or whatever tank size you have.

Using this method, we were generally able to get 2 outings per tank, which was still acceptable. Even all the way full, I was nervous to try for 3 outings..

ski36short
01-05-2005, 12:56 PM
I don't think the vent has anything to do with EFI, probably with EPA regs. My boat (99 LT1, in-tank pump w/vent on the left) does that same thing when filling with a pump at the gas station. It's probably a simple liquid-in vs. air-out issue. Once the tank can't vent air as quickly as you can put gas in (or at all), the fuel can't displace it in the tank and you know the rest of the story. I also can't fill it up all the way without losing a gallon or two out of the vent when the trailer bounces - both should be designed around!

Thankfully filling up at an actual gas station is rare for me. 5 gallon tanks also get old but this winter I scored a 30 gallon gas caddy with a really nice transfer pump for $40. Now I just have to figure out how to get that to the gas station and back...

OhioProstar
01-05-2005, 01:19 PM
:steering:

SD190EVO
01-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Go to a marina and have the attendent fill up your boat for you. Watch how they do it. Doesn't matter what type of boat it is, if he's been doing it for more than one day he won't pull the trigger 100% because he knows he'll get an eruption. At the marina there are boats that cost WAY more than a 50K MC and he knows he'll get some nasty words instead of tip if he sprays gas all over someones baby. Even some cars do this. You get unleaded on your nads once and you should have learned - patience....

Ben
01-05-2005, 02:51 PM
ski36short:

Any leads on another gas caddy? I'm in the market due a recent acquisition... Thanks

dmac
01-05-2005, 03:32 PM
ski36short:

Any leads on another gas caddy? I'm in the market due a recent acquisition... Thanks
Overtons, Boater's World, they are out there, I have considered one. I have 6 6 gal cans and do the manual fill dockside. Knowing my capacity and need is what has thus far, prevented on overflow problem.

I will know now to be careful if I ever pull into a station with it on the trailer.

MCPS205
01-05-2005, 06:43 PM
I cannot believe that nobody else has suggested this yet. I know it is a Malibu site, but read this: "There is a flaw in the fuel system of Malibu boats. We admit it, and it would a very biased person to deny the fact that the flaw exists. That's why we were so interested to read about Racor's LG50 fuel/air separator. According to the manufacture, this product completely eliminates fuel over flow problems by increasing the back pressure in the fuel system. Basically, it's a small check valve that installs in the vent line for the fuel tank. It prevents fuel from sloshing out of the deck fitting, while at the same time, increasing the pressure inside the tank (by impeding air flow through the vent line), which triggers modern fuel pumps to automatically shut off when the tank is full."

http://www.malibuboatowners.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=42&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

ski36short
01-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Ben - not sure. I've seen a couple on ebay (one locally). I got mine from a company I used to work for. They were closing down a shop and were auctioning off equipment; a friend that still works there called me to see if I wanted it. He bid for me. I'll keep you in mind if I see a similar deal pop up.

Vern Swieringa
01-05-2005, 10:40 PM
I had the same experience the first time I filled our 2003 Maristar 230. I learned real fast to put the fuel in slower and wrap the nozzle with some paper towels. I like to have a full tank when I go out, so I fill the tank quite a bit. I'm getting better at judging when she's about full, but still have occasional burps.

lsupcar
01-05-2005, 11:59 PM
Ski36short, I load my gas caddy onto a HitchHauler (standard size is 60"x20" while mine is 60"x24"). Tie it down with a chain through the center hole of the caddy to the hitch. Both wheels won't fit inside the rails, so I place the wheel closest to the truck up on the rail. For me it is a one man job. This works well for me with no significant shifting, although the trip to the gas station is just a short trip on neighborhood roads. Good luck. Bill Z PS If you have one of those hand operated crank pumps on top of the caddy, I think the instructions say to remove the pump prior to transportation. I do not have the pump.

ski36short
01-06-2005, 12:31 PM
HitchHaulers are pretty handy and that sounds like it would work well. My gas station is very close as well. The problem is that I usually have a company ride instead of my Jeep and the gas caddy won't fit in those. I think I'll be borrowing one of my ski buddy's Tahoes when I need it filled, which shouldn't be that often.

Ben
01-07-2005, 07:44 AM
dmac: Thanks for the info on new caddies, but I'm more a fan of ski36short's $40 vs. the ~$300 new... We may have to put in a few seasons with the cans. Although I really hate the new ventless style cans. ski36: Have any old 5 or 6 gal cans you don't want anymore?.. As of now, the'ye gonna be on my garage sale hunt list, since all I can seem to find in stores is the ventless variety.

André
01-07-2005, 07:51 AM
Why the ventless cans? Law?
If so,it's gonna be the same around here soon...I will buy some extras!

edwin
01-07-2005, 09:43 AM
I've added the LG50 to my boat. The problem I was trying to address was getting the fuel tank to accept fuel at a faster rate. Pre LG50, you could pump gas no faster than the slowest setting. Since the addition, you can pump as fast as the pump will go. I do experience a very slight overflow if I let it automatically shutoff from wide open, but nothing even close to the situation pre-LG50. $50 well spent.

I cannot believe that nobody else has suggested this yet. I know it is a Malibu site, but read this: "There is a flaw in the fuel system of Malibu boats. We admit it, and it would a very biased person to deny the fact that the flaw exists. That's why we were so interested to read about Racor's LG50 fuel/air separator. According to the manufacture, this product completely eliminates fuel over flow problems by increasing the back pressure in the fuel system. Basically, it's a small check valve that installs in the vent line for the fuel tank. It prevents fuel from sloshing out of the deck fitting, while at the same time, increasing the pressure inside the tank (by impeding air flow through the vent line), which triggers modern fuel pumps to automatically shut off when the tank is full."

http://www.malibuboatowners.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=42&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Ben
01-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Andre,
I have no idea if it is the law or not, but that is all that has been available for the past 1-1/2 + years in my general area. Very much a pain the behind in my opinion. They are more uncontrollable to start pouring with, since the air return is in the spout. In addition, they are slower to empty, which is bad if your dumping 3 or 4 cans into the boat...

MCPS205
01-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Edwin,

Nice to see another cross over from another site ;)

ski36short
01-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Ben - I only have 2 of the good 'ol vented cans and they're not in the greatest of shape so I'll probably be hanging on to them.

I'm also quite sure that the ventless cans are also emission law-related. Supposedly they're coming after lawn tools and BBQs next...

DanC
01-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Here in tree hugging California the ventless cans are a California Air Resource Board, CARB, requirement.
They suck :mad: so bad I think people spill more gas with them than the old ones let out in vapors :(
I still see the Motocross and Jet ski type gas cans with the long clear silicone hose type spouts. I don't know if they are just old ones or if they are a different deal.

gatorguy
07-17-2011, 09:16 AM
Last weekend I had to fill up my new '05 Maristar 210 for the first time. After watching the pump pass the $65 mark quickly, then $70, I thought I was starting to feel real pain - that was until it hit the magic $78 ball burner mark :eek: ! At $78 I heard a quick bubbling noise and then about two galloms of 92 octane sprayed out all over my shorts (and more important - the boys :eek: ) Oh what a burning sensation that was - I had to get to the ramp quickly to jump in the water, in fear that a nut fire was about to break out in my shorts :D . So, until someone comes up with a better idea, the old Maristar is only gettin' about $60 max at a time. One more fill-up and kids will definetly be out of the future :eek3: .

I bet this guy is just wishing for the good old days when you could fill that big 'ol tank for just $78. Pretty funny now.

agarabaghi
07-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Yea at $3.60 on land its $120 to fill up the X1

mtajpa
07-17-2011, 11:04 AM
I fill normally until it gets close to full then hold the nozzel and listen for the gurgle. Didn't spill a drop yesterday.

Took a C-note(minus 87 cents) yesterday and ended up coming back almost full. Will be cheap to fill up next time.

Jerseydave
07-17-2011, 12:14 PM
I fill normally until it gets close to full then hold the nozzel and listen for the gurgle. Didn't spill a drop yesterday.

Took a C-note(minus 87 cents) yesterday and ended up coming back almost full. Will be cheap to fill up next time.

Bringing 5 friends wakeboarding for the day is great! Everyone donates $20 each so that usually pay for most of the gas.

Red 08 Xstar
07-17-2011, 01:11 PM
I always remove the rear seat so I can see when the gas tank is full.

broncotw
07-17-2011, 01:37 PM
This problem is NOT exclusive to MasterCrafts! I had a Ski Nautique and several fishing boats that have done the same exact thing! You learn to hear when it's getting full and subsequently slow down the fuel entry into the boat! After a few times of getting sprayed you will learn!

-V-
07-17-2011, 02:10 PM
man, $78 is cheap. I filled up my truck(it was almost empty) ($72) then pulled around to fill up the boat which had about 1/4 a tank. I watched it go past $50 then stop at $100. Apparently the pumps automatically stop at $100. Then a re-swipe of the card and put in another $20. So just for gas I spent almost $200!!!!!

georgea0731
07-17-2011, 02:19 PM
I've seen it here before, but this forum says not to go below 1/4 of a tank because it protects the fuel pump from over heating. Please be careful, I don't know if MC ever fixed this in the later models. It's has to do with the fuel pumps in the tanks that we all complain about.

mtajpa
07-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Spent 189 at the "GasHole" 2weeks ago for just the boat while on vacation

nickespi
07-17-2011, 04:43 PM
You guys are getting off cheap. Last weekend I put in $235.

RMUDBUGS
07-17-2011, 06:34 PM
It cost me about a 100 a day on the water.

Traffic53
07-17-2011, 06:41 PM
you guys are all getting off cheap!

the x35 costs $300 to fill on the lake at $6/gl. we ran a couple of hours everyday for the last week and a half and had to fill 3 times! then the F150 truck has a 36gl tank...another $120 to fill that bastard.

RMUDBUGS
07-17-2011, 06:43 PM
10 mpg pulling the boat. Uggggg

jimmies1
07-17-2011, 07:05 PM
The X80 has a 105 gallon tank and with twin 6 lts eats it up fast

RMUDBUGS
07-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Bringing 5 friends wakeboarding for the day is great! Everyone donates $20 each so that usually pay for most of the gas.

"Gas, grass, or ***. Nobody rides for free."

-V-
07-17-2011, 07:08 PM
see if i could afford an X-80, then I would be able to afford the gas. Me, I have a 12 yo Maristar, that i bought pretty used, and i can barely afford the gas!! :)

gatorguy
07-17-2011, 07:52 PM
see if i could afford an X-80, then I would be able to afford the gas. Me, I have a 12 yo Maristar, that i bought pretty used, and i can barely afford the gas!! :)

Being able to afford something and being happy about spending that much money on something that used to cost less for the exact same thing are two completely different things.

MariStar-Man
07-17-2011, 09:12 PM
I have a method that works whether in this particular model MC, and when one is filling up alone or with the help of others.

I have a 99' V-210 and I remove the center back seat, then the fiberglass tray that sits there.

After the Nozzle is securly in the tank, or as well as it can be..., I simply stand on the fender and watch the level of the gas tank as I fill her up.

I occasionally shake her similar to a dog, as if he were humping ones leg...;) . As I'm shaking I can see the dark line being the top level of gas moving about.

When she gets close to full I slow down and wait till i see the gas level hitting the top of the Gas Tank and then, I shut her down.

Easy peasy, and no Spilling while Filling...

p.s. The method of shaking is purely a personal and an individual activity... Please don't try this on any other boats, or MC's and especially when not at a Gas Station... :cool:

kevkan
07-17-2011, 09:28 PM
You remove the center back seat and plastic tray, just to get gas, and you are happy about it?

MariStar-Man
07-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Looks like this...

Center seat pops off:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x203/DocHoliday1964/Pics%20as%20of%208-2009/DSC01317.jpg

Then you can see the Gas level while standing on fender.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x203/DocHoliday1964/Pics%20as%20of%208-2009/DSC01315.jpg

Red 08 Xstar
07-18-2011, 12:47 AM
Not happy about it, but it beats getting sprayed in the face with gas.