PDA

View Full Version : Not a good day for the Truck

Andyg
01-30-2006, 01:08 AM
I was up at my parents house this weekend. They just moved into a new house so I was going up to help move and take a load of wood back to Milwaukee with me. Well everything went great until this morning when I learned that gravity isn't just a guidline but a law. My truck slid down the side of a hill jacknifing the trailer with a full load of wood (about a cord) against the truck. The truck and trailer came to rest against two birch trees about 3 inches in diameter or I would probably have slide another 100 yards down to the bottom of the hill. Here are a couple pictures. What a pain the a$$ to try and get it out. 8 hrs later it was out and I was finally on my way home. I managed to dent my drivers door, wreck the passenger side rear quarter panel and smash the rim on that side.

PendO
01-30-2006, 01:12 AM
That really sucks ... good thing there was somebody with a dodge to pull you out.

Andyg
01-30-2006, 01:12 AM
Here is another photo showing my tire tracks as I helplessly slid off the side of the driverway.

Andyg
01-30-2006, 01:14 AM
That really sucks ... good thing there was somebody with a dodge to pull you out.

It was actually a 1948 Ford tractor. Although I never thought we were going to get it out of there.

PendO
01-30-2006, 01:18 AM
It was actually a 1948 Ford tractor. Although I never thought we were going to get it out of there.

so did you slide down backwards (going up their driveway)?

Andyg
01-30-2006, 01:22 AM
so did you slide down backwards (going up their driveway)?

I was turning around and swung a little wide off the side of the driveway going down the driveway. I had done the same thing the day earlier, but with an empty trailer and no snow. The trailer started to slide sideways down the side of the hill and just pulled the back end of the truck down with it. I didn't stand a chance once that trailer started sliding. I guess the combination of a cord of wood and an inch of snow was too much for the F150 to handle with an idiot behind the wheel.

Boogieman
01-30-2006, 01:53 AM
that sucks . . . but luckly nobody got hurt! . . . beside your ego . . :D

Mag_Red
01-30-2006, 06:12 AM
Don't feel badly..........I've had my Silverado stuck in the woods a few times due to wet grass and gravity. Same senerio..............pulled out by some old farm tractor :wavey:

Leroy
01-30-2006, 06:53 AM
I had several spin arounds in our old C10 and F100's. Pickups just have a habit of the rear end wanting to come around to meet the front end!

Glad you came out relatively ok!

JEREMY79
01-30-2006, 07:19 AM
Too big a load on a smaller truck. It has happended to mebefor.

stumbledog
01-30-2006, 09:34 AM
Do you have any weight in the bed of that Truck?

Cloaked
01-30-2006, 09:40 AM
You guys just need to get off of Andy about this mishap.....

He's already pissed as it is... LOL.....

But I'd never have been speeding down the road with wood.... :D

Leroy
01-30-2006, 10:01 AM
There was a great article in Car and Driver in the early 80's about the handling characteristics, or lack of, a pickup truck. Picture fits that article!

Datdude
01-30-2006, 10:13 AM
Damn the bad luck.

lakes Rick
01-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Have to add that to the "cost of firewood" list....

Younger days we were offroading in jeeps and pickups.. As usual the first part of the "offroad area" is pretty torn up from people getting stuck and this being the dead of a wet Oregon winter so did a couple of us.. An empty logging truck stopped to help pull us out.. I have never seen such an effortless pull in my life.. Hooked up a cable and just idled us out of mud up to our axles.. Just about jerked the frame in half on my jeep, and this again was just idling his Log truck in gear while pulling.. LOTS OF TORQUE....

erkoehler
01-30-2006, 12:32 PM
That will likely be the most expensive cord of wood you'll ever buy. :(

Andyg
01-30-2006, 12:54 PM
You guys just need to get off of Andy about this mishap.....

He's already pissed as it is... LOL.....

But I'd never have been speeding down the road with wood.... :D

That was actually my parents driveway and I was doing all of 2 MPH when it slid down the hill.

Andyg
01-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Do you have any weight in the bed of that Truck?

I don't need it, plenty of tongue weight on the trailer gives me plenty of traction except on snow covered grass hills. Not to mention I was in 4X4 Low Range. The whole problem comes back to gravity and friction. The trailer slid out first and with 5000 lbs behind me there was no way an F150 was going to keep it from sliding down the hill. I don't think anything could have kept that trailer out of the woods, at least other than not driving on the snow covered grass. It all comes back to I shouldn't have driven on the stupid grass. I trailered great the 4.5 hrs home though.

Andyg
01-30-2006, 01:04 PM
Too big a load on a smaller truck. It has happended to mebefor.

My truck is rated to pull 7700 lbs and I have electric brakes on the trailer so I don't think that was as much the issue as it was just idiot driver syndrome.

Datdude
01-30-2006, 01:07 PM
Where in Wisconsin is that? Looks like some decent hills

Andyg
01-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Where in Wisconsin is that? Looks like some decent hills

It is about 20 minutes northwest of Eau Claire, near Colfax. The house my parents just built looks south from the top of the hill. They can see a hill 35 miles to the south of them near Eleva. It is an amazing view. Most people would never have guessed we had hills like that in Wisconsin.

whitedog
01-30-2006, 01:55 PM

Workin' 4 Toys
01-30-2006, 02:37 PM
Damn the bad luck.
Thought I was going to have the same situation a few weeks ago in your area.....:o 1" of ice instead of snow though.

Cloaked
01-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Thought I was going to have the same situation a few weeks ago in your area.....:o 1" of ice instead of snow though.You shouldn't be speeding with wood...

Cloaked
01-30-2006, 04:42 PM
That was actually my parents driveway and I was doing all of 2 MPH when it slid down the hill.Well obviously that was way too fast..... :uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

jayocheskey
01-30-2006, 04:49 PM
There was a great article in Car and Driver in the early 80's about the handling characteristics, or lack of, a pickup truck. Picture fits that article!
Pick-Ups built now drive quite a bit better than those built in the 80's. Those things were TANKS.

Leroy
01-30-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm with Sporty! Save this story for the parents! You're with friends here, you can tell us what you were really doing! :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

That was actually my parents driveway and I was doing all of 2 MPH when it slid down the hill.

Leroy
01-30-2006, 04:58 PM
I haven't driven a pickup since we sold big red, our '78 F100 in '84. I do like them still.

I laid down in the floorboard coming down Rockwood mountain in the rain and the back end took off. Spun around and around and came to stop on the shoulder. Very lucky.

Pick-Ups built now drive quite a bit better than those built in the 80's. Those things were TANKS.

Datdude
01-30-2006, 05:47 PM
It is about 20 minutes northwest of Eau Claire, near Colfax. The house my parents just built looks south from the top of the hill. They can see a hill 35 miles to the south of them near Eleva. It is an amazing view. Most people would never have guessed we had hills like that in Wisconsin.

That is a neat area of the state.

Datdude
01-30-2006, 05:52 PM
Thought I was going to have the same situation a few weeks ago in your area.....:o 1" of ice instead of snow though.

My friend left Conover, WI (north of Eagle River) on Sunday morning at 5am and drove 73 miles in 3 hours. Most of it was 20 mph in 4 wheel drive with his 4 place enclosed trailer fishtailing all over the road. The rain was hitting his windshield and freezing instantly. Not fun :eek:

6ballsisall
01-30-2006, 11:19 PM
Dang! That had to have some pucker factor to it! :eek: Glad you are A-ok Andy!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-30-2006, 11:58 PM
My friend left Conover, WI (north of Eagle River) on Sunday morning at 5am and drove 73 miles in 3 hours. Most of it was 20 mph in 4 wheel drive with his 4 place enclosed trailer fishtailing all over the road. The rain was hitting his windshield and freezing instantly. Not fun :eek:
The last trip I was up, my buddy following me got a ticket for doing 73mph(I think) on the way home just north of you.
Last week another buddy got Stopped at 72mph just south of you and they let him go.
The guy with the sleds on the back was the one that got the ticket....:(

PendO
01-31-2006, 12:14 AM
I was turning around and swung a little wide off the side of the driveway going down the driveway. I had done the same thing the day earlier, but with an empty trailer and no snow. The trailer started to slide sideways down the side of the hill and just pulled the back end of the truck down with it. I didn't stand a chance once that trailer started sliding. I guess the combination of a cord of wood and an inch of snow was too much for the F150 to handle with an idiot behind the wheel.

Man, don't feel bad ... I burnt up my truck's engine in college (79 Dodge 3/4 ton) 500 miles from home (I was in Boise) then I had to call and tell my dad the "story" ... but the best I ever saw was a guy with a BRAND NEW dodge whipping thru a parking lot with his buddies ... and the cowboy hit the footing for a light post (3' in diameter) crunched the truck and deployed the airbags ... guy just got out of his truck and started crying! It was new that day. Cowboy Up!

PendO
01-31-2006, 12:15 AM
You shouldn't be speeding with wood...

wrong thread!

6ballsisall
01-31-2006, 12:16 AM
but the best I ever saw was a guy with a BRAND NEW dodge whipping thru a parking lot with his buddies ... and the cowboy hit the footing for a light post (3' in diameter) crunched the truck and deployed the airbags ... guy just got out of his truck and started crying! It was new that day. Cowboy Up!

Man if it wasn't for the cowboy part I'd say that had to be my sister you saw :rolleyes:

PendO
01-31-2006, 12:20 AM
Man if it wasn't for the cowboy part I'd say that had to be my sister you saw :rolleyes:

Nampa, ID ... circa Spring 1997?

He cried like a girl:)

6ballsisall
01-31-2006, 12:23 AM
Nampa, ID ... circa Spring 1997?

He cried like a girl:)

Well then's theres my wife. Tptalled 3 cars before she was 18. 2 brand new cars totalled in a 4 week period actually. 2nd one she rear ended a cop at a stoplight with her Saturn (she fell asleep) it was REALLY nice once I didn't pay high risk insurance for her anymore :rolleyes:

Andyg
01-31-2006, 10:58 AM
My nickname at work is crash. I have zero luck with vehicles. Here is the last 7 years.

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse (April 98) - Hit in the parking lot at work two weeks after purchase by a driver without insurance - $2000 damage.

1999 Dodge Ram (Oct 99) - Side swiped will parked, hit and run - $3000 in damage

2001 Ford F150 (May 2001)- Rear Ended at stop light by a kid doing 45 mph in a mini van - totalled the truck

2002 Harley Screamin Eagle Road King CVO (Sept 2001)- Rear Ended on interstate $11000 in damage

1997 MC PS190 (July 2003) - Bolt on dock destroyed gelcoat on side of boat - $1200 in damge

2004 Harley Screamin Eagle Electra Glide CVO (Aug 2005)- Laid down on highway - $12000 in damage

2002 F150 (Nov 2005) - Side Swiped while parked - $8000 in damage

2002 F150 (Jan 2006) - This latest incident - $3000 in damage.

I think it maybe time to start taking the bus. I think I will be paying for this one out of my pocket. Especially since the wife just got a speeding ticket last week. I have a feeling that if I file a claim on this latest issue my insurance company is going to drop me. I quoted getting new insurance for my two vehicles and based on my recent history they wanted $3200 a year for both my truck and the wife's explorer.

Leroy
01-31-2006, 11:20 AM
Insurance of $3200 Sounds like a bargain for you! Sorry to hear of so much bad luck.

My nickname at work is crash. I have zero luck with vehicles. Here is the last 7 years.

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse (April 98) - Hit in the parking lot at work two weeks after purchase by a driver without insurance - $2000 damage.

1999 Dodge Ram (Oct 99) - Side swiped will parked, hit and run - $3000 in damage

2001 Ford F150 (May 2001)- Rear Ended at stop light by a kid doing 45 mph in a mini van - totalled the truck

2002 Harley Screamin Eagle Road King CVO (Sept 2001)- Rear Ended on interstate $11000 in damage

1997 MC PS190 (July 2003) - Bolt on dock destroyed gelcoat on side of boat - $1200 in damge

2004 Harley Screamin Eagle Electra Glide CVO (Aug 2005)- Laid down on highway - $12000 in damage

2002 F150 (Nov 2005) - Side Swiped while parked - $8000 in damage

2002 F150 (Jan 2006) - This latest incident - $3000 in damage.

I think it maybe time to start taking the bus. I think I will be paying for this one out of my pocket. Especially since the wife just got a speeding ticket last week. I have a feeling that if I file a claim on this latest issue my insurance company is going to drop me. I quoted getting new insurance for my two vehicles and based on my recent history they wanted $3200 a year for both my truck and the wife's explorer.

Datdude
01-31-2006, 11:23 AM
The last trip I was up, my buddy following me got a ticket for doing 73mph(I think) on the way home just north of you.
Last week another buddy got Stopped at 72mph just south of you and they let him go.
The guy with the sleds on the back was the one that got the ticket....:(

The speed limit is 55mph in this area :uglyhamme . On a serious note, would you get pulled over in Illinois for going 17-18mph over the speed limit?

erkoehler
01-31-2006, 11:31 AM
The speed limit is 55mph in this area :uglyhamme . On a serious note, would you get pulled over in Illinois for going 17-18mph over the speed limit?

YEP! :mad:

bcampbe7
01-31-2006, 12:33 PM

With those 2 motorcycle accidents it sound like you are lucky to be alive!

Andyg
01-31-2006, 02:17 PM
With those 2 motorcycle accidents it sound like you are lucky to be alive!

Basically both my wife and I walked away from each motorcycle accident without any significant injuries. Extremely lucky. It also goes to show you if you have the correct riding gear on it makes a big difference. I am still having a hard time with wearing the brain bucket. I know I should and I do on occasion, but I don't wear it on a regular basis.

bcampbe7
01-31-2006, 02:56 PM
Basically both my wife and I walked away from each motorcycle accident without any significant injuries. Extremely lucky. It also goes to show you if you have the correct riding gear on it makes a big difference. I am still having a hard time with wearing the brain bucket. I know I should and I do on occasion, but I don't wear it on a regular basis.

Were you weraing the "brain bucket" in both of the above accidents?

Andyg
01-31-2006, 03:28 PM
The first accident the wife was and I wasn't. The second accident we both were. If I am doing a long ride I usually wear the helmet. When I would ride around town I usually wasn't wearing one. Since the second accident I have been wearing the lid a lot more though.