PDA

View Full Version : Walter V-drive removal help...

lakes Rick
01-29-2006, 05:12 PM
Finally getting to taking out my V-drive to have a new output seal installed..

Boat a 94 Maristar, Velvet touch tranny to a Walter V-drive.. My question this.. Vdrive has a small tunnel that bolts up to the tranny. I have assumed the shaft will pull out of the tranny ( like a car).. WELL I noticed a small inspection cover on top of where the tunnel bolts to the tranny. Upon removal I see 4 bolts inside on the driveline.. Do these need to be removed also??

If so there does not look like there is enough space to even remove the nuts after loosening??? Any help ????

BriEOD
01-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Sorry, no help here Rick. I'm sure JimN or Engine Nut will be along soon.

lakes Rick
01-31-2006, 06:25 PM
Cmon, somebody on here surely can help me...

I get more results when I tell an EX wife story.......

BriEOD
01-31-2006, 06:42 PM
Bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlotte_maristar
01-31-2006, 07:13 PM
I replaced the Walter V-Drive in my 96 Maristar last year. The four bolts inside the cover do need to be removed to remove the v-drive.

lakes Rick
01-31-2006, 10:41 PM
I replaced the Walter V-Drive in my 96 Maristar last year. The four bolts inside the cover do need to be removed to remove the v-drive.

Thanks for the help...

Do you loosen them, pull the v-drive further out, then remove them?? They look like a PIA.. AND if you drop one??

rodltg2
01-31-2006, 10:47 PM
i cant help either, that project is way beyond my mechanical skills. other than simple tasks , it goes to the dealer.

Charlotte_maristar
02-01-2006, 03:44 PM
Remove them, pull the V-drive out, then remove the yoke from the transmission. My yoke was rusted to the transmission shaft, so it took a pry bar to get it off.

I got the new one directly from the Walter Machine Co. They were also a great source of technical help. Their website is www.waltergear.com, and their phone number is 201-656-5654. Good luck..

lakes Rick
02-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Remove them, pull the V-drive out, then remove the yoke from the transmission. My yoke was rusted to the transmission shaft, so it took a pry bar to get it off.

I got the new one directly from the Walter Machine Co. They were also a great source of technical help. Their website is www.waltergear.com, and their phone number is 201-656-5654. Good luck..

So if your yoke had not been rusted on to the transmission shaft it would have pulled off with the V-drive???

Forgive me for being a pain, but for the $5 dollar seal I want to replace this is alot of work... Rick

Charlotte_maristar
02-01-2006, 09:28 PM
Rick, I'm afraid I can't answer your question. I had to remove it that way, because my v-drive failure/replacement was a result of rust. You may or may not be able to avoid it. I wish I could be of more help. The only other suggestion would be to contact Walter Machine and see if they can help. Mike

lakes Rick
02-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Engine Nut has contacted me by personal email.. He is going to send me a schematic of some sort to help..

After stewing about this all day, I took another look and getting the 4 nuts off the shaft will not be that difficult.. Not easy , but doable..

Looks like where the prop shaft would bolt to the tranny in a DD, V-drive shaft bolts on instead on mine...

Anyone want to hear a good EX story?????

milkmania
02-01-2006, 10:51 PM
Engine Nut has contacted me by personal email.. He is going to send me a schematic of some sort to help..

After stewing about this all day, I took another look and getting the 4 nuts off the shaft will not be that difficult.. Not easy , but doable..

Looks like where the prop shaft would bolt to the tranny in a DD, V-drive shaft bolts on instead on mine...

Anyone want to hear a good EX story?????

you bet!!!

lakes Rick
02-01-2006, 11:00 PM
And to think I thought you came on here to help Milk......

BriEOD
02-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Glad you got some help Rick. Have you talked to N.O.W lately? 8p

milkmania
02-02-2006, 05:18 PM
And to think I thought you came on here to help Milk......

eh, I got's nothing....sorryhttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/nixweiss.gif