PDA

View Full Version : Engine Alignment Question

Tom023
01-29-2006, 03:50 PM
After re-installing the drive shaft and attaching the coupler, it did not line up with the transmission (Picture 1). With just a little pressure, I can get the coupler to mate with the transmission perfectly due to the lip, that is on the backside of the coupler (Picture 2), sliding into the transmission coupling. When I do this, the coupler is within the .003 alignment tolerance required and I can bolt up the coupler (Picture 3).

It seems to me, however, that if it were in proper alignment, everything would just slide in perfectly, with no pressure required on the drive shaft to get it to mate with transmission. Is this correct? I guess I'm a little confused because it does mate within tolerance once I nudge the coupler in the right spot.

88 PS190
01-29-2006, 04:19 PM
It should be straight w/ no tension. If you push it then it is always loaded. and will wear things out, and cause issues. I take it that's a v drive which i've never done myself

But the alignment should be spot on w/ no pressure.

Tom023
02-05-2006, 09:15 AM

Tom023
02-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Ok, I redid the alignment again today after installing new OJ XPC cutlass bearings. The problem I am having is that although I can align the engine so the coupler fits up to the tranmission in the right position, I cannot get the maximum .003 gap between the coupler and transmission all the way around. The gap between 12-3-6 o'clock is about .001 while the gap between 6-9-12 o'clock is .007. It's as if the engine needs to "twist" a little bit on mounts to get the two faces parallel. Simple up/down and left/right movements won't align it.

I cannot figure out how to "twist" the engine. I've tried moving the back and front separately but I don't think the engine mounts allow for any type of twist. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

6ballsisall
02-26-2006, 08:47 PM
If it was me I'd get on the horn with Ski-Dim tomorrow. Those guys rock at this kind of stuff.

Tom023
03-12-2006, 01:50 PM
With some help from Jim and Chuck at BAWS, I successfully finished the engine alignment today. If you are interested, see my post above about "twisting" the engine. The way this is accomplished is by locking down the corner you want to twist around, and losening the other three, then the engine swings on that one mount. The other thing I discovered is that tightening the mounts, once you have perfect alignment, will throw it off again, so it's a process of tightening a bit, adjusting a bit until the engine mounts are tight and everything is in alignment.

Tom023
04-02-2006, 05:43 PM
I ran the boat the first time since the engine alignment, and what a difference. I never thought I had an issue or vibration problem since it's been the same since I bought the boat new 5 years ago, but the improvement in smoothness is very noticeable. If you've never bothered to check the alignment, do yourself a favor and do so. I learned a lot about the powertrain this winter replacing cutless bearings, installing a new dripless seal and aligning the engine. Well worth the time.

roddydog
04-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Good to know, Thanks.
I might install a dripless seal this spring, it seems well worth the time and effort.