PDA

View Full Version : Drysuit advice and questions??

Upper Michigan Prostar190
01-29-2006, 11:35 AM
I mentioned this in another thread. I am thinking about getting a drysuit to jumpstart my season this spring. It takes a while for the big lake to warm up. There are some nice warm days up here in spring, but the water is too cold to ski. so enters the idea of a dry suit. I know I asked about them before, but that was last summer. I am really considereing this. I have some christmas cash to spend and I thought it may be a good idea. I am open to any and all suggestions. this is the brand and model I am currently considering. Its a Oneil Assault hybrid style suit. I will need a hood and gloves too. and what about those feet things, do they work with ski bindings?? can you get your feet in and out? or do you have to freeze your feet? :confused:

http://www.overtons.com/cgi-bin/overtons/order/large.cgi?19806

waiting to hear your input :D

hleepert
01-29-2006, 12:20 PM
I've used the BF 2000 suit for five or six years and am very happy with it. I like the mobility that it provides. It's sometimes a pain to get my feet through so I put on short socks to help keep them from sticking to the rubber.

erkoehler
01-29-2006, 01:06 PM
I would recommend a full baggy style suit. Odds are you won't be able to wear the dry socks while putting your feet in to the bindings.

Check out the barefoot international dry suit.

P-hat_in_Cincy
01-29-2006, 02:27 PM
I second the full baggy style suit because you can pile as many or as little clothing underneath them as us want. I got the BARE Ultra after running a buddy's last year. Give Grizzly-Sports a shout (phone call) and they should hook you up with a good deal ( http://www.grizzly-sports.com ).

JohnnyB
01-29-2006, 03:28 PM
I'd also recommend the baggy suit. I've had a Barefoot International suit for a few years now. I've been out footin' several times where the air temp was in the 30s and water in the 40s as well as water in the 30s and air in the 40s.....I don't wear a hood, gloves or booties in the water. I've found that wearing the suit, plus my barefoot suit and a layer of sweats or something underneath usually keeps my core temp up enough to leave hands, feet, head exposed. I do warm them with the transom shower between runs....a buddy of mine were out footin a few weeks in Oshkosh, WI (just south of me) and he typically wears cheap neo gloves and a neo headband -- keep the arctic blast winds off his forehead.

Check out Barefootcentral.com -- they've got a couple different brands of baggy suits in their online shop and also have a video on how to dress for cold water footin (dry suits, long underwear, booties, gloves, hoods, etc). The comical part is that it's shot somewher warm climate -- I couldn't even see their breath as they talked on the video -- that ain't cold!! :D

tex
01-29-2006, 06:49 PM
i have a neo non baggy one. i love it. it is 14 years old and i once wore it almost daily. learn to put it on and take it off right and never loan it out. that way it will last. i wear a t-shirt and a shorty with no sleeves underneth it.

01-29-2006, 06:51 PM
So the baggy suits are better? THey arent a problem starting deep water? I thought it was better to have the other type. So what do I do about my feet? just tough it out? I supposed I could bring a cooler with me filled with warm water to soak my feet in after I ski. any other ideas?? how bout gloves? I see dry gloves with liners, anybody ever try them?? or the hoods? :confused:

erkoehler
01-29-2006, 06:55 PM
So the baggy suits are better? THey arent a problem starting deep water? I thought it was better to have the other type. So what do I do about my feet? just tough it out? I supposed I could bring a cooler with me filled with warm water to soak my feet in after I ski. any other ideas?? how bout gloves? I see dry gloves with liners, anybody ever try them?? or the hoods? :confused:

I wear the Chola gloves found on www.barefootcentral.com I also got my dry suit from them. I use a hot water shower which really helps, or you can use a cooler filled w/ hot water. Then get a cheap pair of slippers.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
01-29-2006, 08:08 PM
The type of suit that will work best really depends on what you want to use it for. If you are going to do any barefooting make sure the suit is built to take that kind of use. I have a BI and they are built heavier (both seals and nylon) than most in order to take the abuse you'll give it while footin'. They look quite bulky and you do lose some flexibility but not as much as you might expect. Deep water starts are no problem even with the dry suit, a couple layers of sweats and a regular barefoot wetsuit layered under it. Some of the dry suits state right in their ads that they are not for barefooting so be sure to get a suit that will handle what you want to do with it.

01-29-2006, 08:48 PM
So I am supposed to wear a regular wetsuit under neath the drysuit?? I didnt know that. SO thats for insulation I take it. What about wearing underarmour cold gear with some fleece pants and pullover? or is it easier to wear the wetsuit?? this is interesting.

:popcorn:

For the record, I dont barefoot, so its going to be for slalom skiing only.

rodltg2
01-29-2006, 08:50 PM
i wouldn't wear a wetsuit, it will be hard to move. i like to wear sweatpants and sweat shirt.

01-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Well, I got confused when they said to wear a regular barefoot suit under it. I dont have a barefoot suit, so I was wondering if they meant a wetsuit....

so just stick with good long underwear and sweats or fleece? :confused:

erkoehler
01-29-2006, 09:00 PM
The barefoot suit under the dry suit is only while footin because you still want the padding of the barefoot suit under the drysuit for when you fall.

While slalom skiing, you don't need any padding. I would wear some fleece pants and a sweatshirt of some sort. I have found that it is much more comfortable to wear a sweatshirt without a hood.

Any more ?????'s feel free to ask......

tex
01-30-2006, 09:18 AM
As i said before, i have a thin sleeveless suit that i wear under mine. it keeps me warm and you can still move.

01-30-2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks everyone! :) and thanks for the offer to answer more questions Erk :) I'm gonna scope out some of those websites you recommended today. I am pretty interested in this. I just thought it would be nice to jumpstart my season as early as I can with a drysuit. I appreciate all the help and welcome any more suggestions. :toast:

Seems BFI is the suit of choice around here. any other good ones? or are they the best?

any more suggestions on the hood or gloves?

hacker
01-30-2006, 10:22 AM
My vote is for a baggy suit. I've been skiing year round in upstate NY since 1998. For me a baggy suit works the best. As mentioned by other posters, just use warm clothes under the suit. When we ski in the winter I usually use thermals a t-shirt and sweats (3 or 4 layers for the upper bod and 2 below). Nice thing with this arrangement is when you are done skiing you just slid out of your suit and thow on a jacket. In the spring I just wear light clothes under the suit. I have long since given up on booties or special gloves. I just use the shower in the boat to warm up my ski gloves and bindings. If it's below 40 (air) I cover my head (see pic). I wouldn't suggest a neoprene hood, tried it once, ugh. I use my drysuit about 30 time a year. Usually when if the water is below 60 I'm in the drysuit. I don't even own a long wetsuit, but I have a shorty I use in beween shorts season and drysuit season.

atlfootr
01-30-2006, 11:28 AM
Thanks everyone! :) Seems BFI is the suit of choice around here. are they the best?These guys' have nailed it on the head w/ their suggestions, so I'm taking a few from each and adding some of my own. I know nothing re: O'Neil Drysuits, as I've only owned one kind for over 6yrs.
I recall answering a simular post to this before, but here it goes again.

As hleepert from MI, said, "I've used the BF 2000 suit for five or six years and am very happy with it. I like the mobility that it provides. It's sometimes a pain to get my feet through so I put on short socks to help keep them from sticking to the rubber".

We have the same suits, I bought my wife one as well. We both barefoot and use a small bit of Joy (dish soap) around the ankles, once in the water it washes rt. off. I've only replaced my neck, wrist and ankle seals once, due to not conditioning them after each use.
The rubber eventually dried out from storage.

"The type of suit that will work best really depends on what you want to use it for. If you are going to do any barefooting make sure the suit is built to take that kind of use. I have a BI."I wouldn't change suits for anything! TAKE CARE of it and w/ normal use, it'll last for years. Since we barefoot as stated eariler, we use a mo-flow vest and bf shorts w/ sweats underneath.

Do to easy mobility, tumble turns, toe up's etc. are easily performed.

01-30-2006, 11:58 AM
My vote is for a baggy suit. I've been skiing year round in upstate NY since 1998. For me a baggy suit works the best. As mentioned by other posters, just use warm clothes under the suit. When we ski in the winter I usually use thermals a t-shirt and sweats (3 or 4 layers for the upper bod and 2 below). Nice thing with this arrangement is when you are done skiing you just slid out of your suit and thow on a jacket. In the spring I just wear light clothes under the suit. I have long since given up on booties or special gloves. I just use the shower in the boat to warm up my ski gloves and bindings. If it's below 40 (air) I cover my head (see pic). I wouldn't suggest a neoprene hood, tried it once, ugh. I use my drysuit about 30 time a year. Usually when if the water is below 60 I'm in the drysuit. I don't even own a long wetsuit, but I have a shorty I use in beween shorts season and drysuit season.

hacker, that is a cool pic!!!! :headbang: Rock on man! that looks cool. What are you wearing for a hood? why dont you recommend neoprene?? and dont your hands get numb without drysuit gloves?

I will need somekind of drysuit or atleast wetsuit gloves to wear to keep my hands warm.

01-30-2006, 12:04 PM
so has anyone tried the drysuit style gloves?? I looked at the ones Erk recommended and they are similar to ones I have now. The only difference is those have grips on them where mine are kevlar palmed and I dont like them they slip on the rope handle. Just curious if anyone has any expereince with the drysuit type gloves??

01-30-2006, 01:40 PM
ok, heres a dumb question. DO you wear a PFD with a dry suit? all the pics I have seen I havent seen anyone wearing a PFD. DO you wear it underneath? whats up with that? any ideas? Again, keep in mind I dont have a barfoot suit. :confused:

Cary K.
01-30-2006, 01:43 PM
I wear my vest underneath mine. Not only does it float you, but is an added layer of warmth.

hleepert
01-30-2006, 01:50 PM
ok, heres a dumb question. DO you wear a PFD with a dry suit? all the pics I have seen I havent seen anyone wearing a PFD. DO you wear it underneath? whats up with that? any ideas? Again, keep in mind I dont have a barfoot suit. :confused:

I started out without a PFD because the air in the suit was enough to keep me boyant. Actually had to led some air out because I was to high in the water. A couple of years ago a had a bad wipe out that made me see stars and knocked the wind out of me. Last thing I remebered was waving to the driver I was okay and the next thing I remembered was sitting on the swim platform coughing out water. The boyancy was good except it forced my face in the water when I passed out. Since that experience me and all the guys that were skiing with me that day wears a PFD outside the suit.

AirJunky
01-30-2006, 03:23 PM
I have answered this question a dozen or more times. Almost ALL of the baggy suits are made in the same Oregon factory. Thats Bare, USIA, OS, Staydry(Wiley's) & Adrenaline.... at least. Very little difference in them except for the patterns themselves. There is a heavier seal available but most of you would NOT be comfortable wearing them.
Adrenaline Watersports or Wiley's is probably the least expensive since their not the big name brand. And either AW or Wiley's will order special colors & heavier seals for you if you feel you need them. They also carry dry gloves, neoprene hoods & headbands, bear suits (full fleece jumpsuit), etc.
I have used the dry gloves but believe me they suck. Their very hard to seal & when they leak your cold as he!!. One time I fell, the glove took off with the handle, and was still there when they picked me up! I prefer a 5 mm neoprene diving glove (any dive shop). You will stay warm in water down to the 30s & get a bit of arm pump as a result (makes the handle diameter larger), but your arm strength will get over it in a few rides.
http://airjunky.com/temp/jakesuit.jpg

Also, do yourself & those who love you a favor & wear a damn PFD. No matter what you THINK you know about how bouyant you are....... your not. My brother popped a drysuit on a major crash a few years ago. We came back around to pick him up & I had to dive off the boat to bring him back to the surface. The baggy suit had a foot wide gash across the back & completely filled with water. For whatever reason, he & his ski were headed for the bottom.

atlfootr
01-30-2006, 03:35 PM
I started out without a PFD, had a bad wipeout made me see stars and knocked the wind out of me.MUST I REPEAT MYSELF AGAIN?
MO-FLOW VEST!

Eagle Sports (http://www.eaglesports.com/products/shorts.asp#)

Eagle FLO MO VEST | Solid Black - Front | Model # 901313

Eagle's Flo-Mo vest is designed for use under a dry suit for extra protection during the colder months of an extended season.
The tapered cut and super soft 15mm flotation foam provide for maximum flexibility and protection.

Features:

* Front-Zip Entry Tapered & Contoured Fit Padded neoprene Vest
* Freedom-Cut Sleeveless Arm Openings
* 15mm Full-Coverage Flotation Padding Front & Back
* Mauser Lock Stitched - Bullet-Proof Seams
* Custom Multi-Color Logos
* Eagle’s Proven Lifetime Workmanship Warranty
(see warranty info for details)

Available Sizes:: Men’s Sizs XS – XXXL

hacker
01-30-2006, 04:13 PM
hacker, that is a cool pic!!!! :headbang: Rock on man! that looks cool. What are you wearing for a hood? why dont you recommend neoprene?? and dont your hands get numb without drysuit gloves?

I will need somekind of drysuit or atleast wetsuit gloves to wear to keep my hands warm.

I wish I could tell you more about the "hood" I'm wearing... I bought it at Dick's (sporting goods store) 3 or 4 years ago. Here is a better picture. I wore a neoprene hood once and didn't like it. I couldn't hear and my jaws felt like I had been chewing day old gum for hours. It just didn't seem worth it. The most I have ever worn on my hands were Connelly Cold Water gloves. For the amount of time I'm in the water regular gloves seem to offer enough protection.
Also, I agree with those who use a vest!! I usually wear mine on the outside though.

01-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Awesome advice guys!!! thanks to everyone! Keep the suggestions coming if you have anymore. They are certainly welcome!!! :)

THANKS!!!!!! :wavey:

UMP

Leroy
01-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Does anyone make a dry suit with feet and hands so the only seal is at the neck?

Must not or it doesn't work as well as the model with seals on each leg, arm, and neck??

AirJunky
01-30-2006, 06:57 PM
Feet are an option with all of the suits I mentioned above. Although it's harder to get the bigger companies to make you a suit like that because they order in larger numbers. Call Wiley's & they can tell you about the feet in the suit. I use one for riding a foil, but I don't think anyone will recommend you use one for skiing or boarding. The reason being that if you ever pulled out of the binding, the rubber boot would stick to the rubber binding & rip the boot off the suit. Being on a foil, there is no chance of that happening.

01-30-2006, 10:01 PM
The reason being that if you ever pulled out of the binding, the rubber boot would stick to the rubber binding & rip the boot off the suit.

I can see where that would be a problem :eek:

team north
01-30-2006, 11:15 PM
i recently bought a dry suit from overtons and I am just wondering what do you treat the seals with? Also being canadian it's usually six months between seasons so what do you do to store them? Thanx

AirJunky
01-30-2006, 11:31 PM
Most of the suit makers used to recommend using a food grade silicone spray for the seals, which is available at any waterski or dive shop. But thats changed a year or so ago & now they say not to do anything.
As for storing, I've been told to roll them up tight & stick them in a plastic bag & vaccuum seal it (I just squeeze all the air out & then seal it). Then store them in a cool dry place that is NOT near any petroleum products or fumes.

01-31-2006, 11:11 AM
Most of the suit makers used to recommend using a food grade silicone spray for the seals, which is available at any waterski or dive shop. But thats changed a year or so ago & now they say not to do anything.
As for storing, I've been told to roll them up tight & stick them in a plastic bag & vaccuum seal it (I just squeeze all the air out & then seal it). Then store them in a cool dry place that is NOT near any petroleum products or fumes.

So why do they sell stuff on the websites for seal conditioning?? or is that one of those kinda-sorta-maybe deals? :confused: :confused:

01-31-2006, 06:34 PM
any more ideas on that silicone stuff???

ANd From all the input here on the board and the research I have done, I agree that the baggy style suit sounds right for me. THe hybrid styles sound like they arent warm enough for the temps I will be skiing in. They said you cant layer much at all under them, only a pair of long underwear. SO I think I need the baggy to layer some underarmour long undies and some fleece pants and shirt. Sounds good to me. I really do appreciate all the help and input every one has given.

NOw I just have to decide what brand of suit. I know the BFI ones are popular here. The wileys brand look good for less cash. I recall the earlier post that most all of the baggy style suits are made by the same place. so any other input there?? I normally dont skimp on purchases to sacrifice quality, especially something like this. But on the other hand, I dont like to overpay for the same thing in a different package either so to speak. so I would be curious to know if anyone has any expereince with those Stay Dry suits that Wileys sells??? I am open to all advice, as always. so theres American BF2000 Suits, The BFI suits, and the Stay Dry suits I am so far considering. Anyone got any other brands to consider? :confused: :confused:

UMP

AirJunky
01-31-2006, 06:37 PM
Thats me in the pic....... need I say more? ;)
http://www.wileyski.com/wetsuits/drysuits-30.htm

erkoehler
01-31-2006, 06:45 PM
If you sign up to be a member at www.barefootcentral.com you can save 15% or so on all purchases for a year. It costs $50 for the year plus you get a hat and some decals.

So the BFI dry suit would be 280.49 instead of 319.99

wakesport
01-31-2006, 07:33 PM
My wife and I both ski with a Bob LaPoint dry suit. We are very happy with these. I got hers on ebay nd mine used at a local ski shop. Cost for both was way less than one new one.

Footin
01-31-2006, 07:35 PM
I bought one of the baggie style suits fromk Ski Limited about 12 years ago. I don't use it much but it has held up very well. I have never put anything on the seals, I am just carefull when I put it on and take it off.

I use it for footing and wakeboarding with sweats under it, sometime a few ounces of water leek in, but not that often.

Overall it has been a great suit and I think I got it on sale for 199.99.

Eagle
01-31-2006, 08:37 PM
I have the O'Neill Boost dry suit and am very happy with it. The seals fit tight and keep me dry. It has suspenders to keep the suit hanging in a good body position.

My son also has the Boost. A friend of mine had the Bare but had a number of leaks. She borrowed my Boost and loved it, so has bought one for herself. Another friend has the Adrenaline dry suit. It's a great suit for the money, but the O'Neill is better made, has softer seals, and has suspenders.

I have worn O'Neill wet and drysuits for 25 years and always had good luck with them.

I have to say, I really like the comfort of a baggy dry suit. And I can layer on whatever underneat to fit the temperature.

http://www.oneill.com/assets/products/02054.jpg

02-02-2006, 02:32 PM
well, Its looking like I am going to go with the BFI suit. I realize that the baggy is the way to go as you all advised. and I was considering the Stay Dry and BFI suits. The BFI ones just sound like they are much better built and the cost doesnt seem all that much more for the higher quality construction. So thats where I am at now.

UMP

02-10-2006, 10:00 AM
update: I decided to order a BFI dry suit. I ordered it from Barefootcentral.com as several of you recommended. I spoke with them and got some advice on other things like seal tech and zip tech. They also helped pick sizes on a neoprene hood and gloves too. They were very helpful, knowledgeable and informative. Its nice to talk to someone who has actually used the products they sell. I have often bought from Overtons, but several times I called them with questions on a few of their items they sell and the clowns I talked to didnt know Jack squat about it, so I searched elsewhere. Anyhow, I ordered seal tech, zip tech, a neo hood, and those chota gloves along with the BFI suit from Barefootcentral.com and I should be set for spring skiing. I am looking forward to trying it out. I just wanted to say thanks again to all of you and your advice and input into this. THANKS!!! :wavey: :)

When I get it, I am going to see what I need to layer undernearth it to stay warm. I am thinking fleece with some under armour long undies. We will see what I come up with. at least I have some time to figure it out before I hit the water with it.

UMP

André
02-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Final tab???

X45owner
02-10-2006, 11:14 AM
I used my drysuit for the first time two weeks ago. Worked great for warmth. However, the neck seal was very tight to the point that I thought my eyes were going to bulge out of my head. I had to pull the neck portion of the suit up over my chin to keep the pressure off my jugulars. ANY ADVISE OUT THERE?

Foiler
02-10-2006, 11:16 AM
[QUOTE=When I get it, I am going to see what I need to layer undernearth it to stay warm. I am thinking fleece with some under armour long undies. We will see what I come up with. at least I have some time to figure it out before I hit the water with it.[/QUOTE]

It depends a lot on what the water temp is. Sometimes just a pair of jeans and a sweat shirt is enough. Last time out the water was 34 degrees so thermals and fleece was in order. Even with the water so cold I still worked up a sweat.

You'll get a good ideal what to wear after you get some rides at different water temps. I always wear baggy lose fitting cloths that over lap, anything not covered is cold...feels like a leak.

bigmac
02-10-2006, 11:29 AM
It depends a lot on what the water temp is. Sometimes just a pair of jeans and a sweat shirt is enough. Last time out the water was 34 degrees so thermals and fleece was in order. Even with the water so cold I still worked up a sweat.

You'll get a good ideal what to wear after you get some rides at different water temps. I always wear baggy lose fitting cloths that over lap, anything not covered is cold...feels like a leak.

Fleece and UnderArmor - Works great. Cabelas is a great place to shop.

The neck seal thing is a problem, especially with that BFI barefoot suit. The neck does get better as the suit gets used, and I do manually stretch mine a fair amount.

IMHO the wrist and ankle seals are at least as much a problem because they are heavier latex than a normal dry suit. Somebody recommended to me that for awhile, I store the suit with some pop cans in the wrists and ankles, and that does seem to help. I did discover that when adding latex booties (dry socks), they need to go OVER the suit ankle seals and you have to put up with wet feet. The alternative is water leaking up the leg.

Although I think that that BFI suit is a great, well-made suit at a great price, the heavier seals and the neoprene wrist and ankle cuffs make it not such a great suit for foiling.

02-10-2006, 11:52 AM
Yea, I am a bit concerned about the tight neck seals too. When I called BFI to get info on their suit Mike Siepel said that the seals will relax a bit after 6 or 8 uses and the seals arent as tight. I guess its better they are tight, I mean that IS the whole point right? to stay DRY!!! What good is a dry suit that has seals that leak? no good. might as well be wearing a wetsuit at point. With the research and advice I got, I thought the BFI suit was the best choice for me because of the better seals and more durable suit. Now I would be open to any suggestions on making the seals fit better. I was planning on just carefully stretching them a bit with my hands. BFI also told me to wear the ankle and wrist seals right on the ankle bone, and wrist bone so the pressure of the seals rest on the bone and dont cut off your circulation as much. this may sound corny :o , but I am planning on putting this suit on a few times to test the fit with different clothes under it. and then I might go to my parents house on the lake and throw on my good wetsuit boots and gloves and take a walk in the lake with it on to test it out. I know sounds goofy, but I think its a good idea. THat way the seals may "break in" so to speak a bit before I get out on the water skiing with it.

Any suggestions on those seals? does wearing it on the chin work while your getting your ski on just before you get in the water, and then slide it down on your neck in proper place??? :confused:

UMP

bigmac
02-10-2006, 11:58 AM
I think patience is the key. My experience thus far suggests that about a half-season of use will relax the neck seal - and I facilitate that by stretching it manually a little every time I use it.

The wrist seals are more problematic, IMHO. "Wearing them on the bone" sounds like a dumb idea to me. I note that doing that causes compression of a branch of the radial nerve, and an afternoon of foiling with that suit on left me with a few days of numbness over the back of the thumb.

Foiler
02-10-2006, 12:09 PM
I used my drysuit for the first time two weeks ago. Worked great for warmth. However, the neck seal was very tight to the point that I thought my eyes were going to bulge out of my head. I had to pull the neck portion of the suit up over my chin to keep the pressure off my jugulars. ANY ADVISE OUT THERE?

One of my dry suits has a tighter neck than the other, the one I wear is a perfect fit. I've heard a 2 liter or something similar can be used to stretch the neck seal a bit. I'd go easy but if you can find something the right diameter you could shorten the break-in time.

02-10-2006, 12:32 PM
pop cans on wrist and ankle seals and a 2 liter bottle on the neck? sounds logical. SO how long do you leave them in? I am thinking if they are in there too long it could ruin or stretch the seals too much?? so many periodic usage of the stretching with cans and bottles might be good? like over night a few times before you use it?

Any ideas?? :confused:

rodltg2
02-10-2006, 01:27 PM

i have the same problem, but i rather it be tight than leak. luckliy dry suit season will be over soon here..

02-10-2006, 02:13 PM
i have the same problem, but i rather it be tight than leak. luckliy dry suit season will be over soon here..

yes, I agree Rod.

dry suit season over.......????....... where you live boy? the equator?? ;)

UMP

parrish1
02-10-2006, 02:21 PM
tight neck seal will certainly give you a nice headache. I was advised to cut the seal's leading edge 2-3 mm using a very good pair of sissors as to not leave any jagged edges that would start a rip. After this my headache improved but eyes still bulged so I cut another 2-3 mm and has been fine. I felt better doing it this way than trying to stretch it. It remained tight and water entry isnt a problem. If your head or neck is under water for long youre :confused: done anyway. I did not and would not want to relax the wrists or ankle seals--I can live with them tight as feet and hands go numb anyway. A numbskull isnt good--maybe I have that anyway???

rodltg2
02-10-2006, 02:54 PM
yes, I agree Rod.

UMP

hopefully by march i can switch to a wetsuit. actually today i could
70F

AirJunky
02-10-2006, 03:03 PM
You gotta be kidding me.... 70f & your in a drysuit?!?! We'd never get out of them if we lived like that.

02-10-2006, 03:21 PM
You gotta be kidding me.... 70f & your in a drysuit?!?! We'd never get out of them if we lived like that.

wow! 70 here in MIchigan and we are debating about putting the wetsuits away!!! I have a buddy that skis without a wetsuit once it hits 65!!!!! :banana:

rodltg2
02-10-2006, 03:26 PM

no not in a drysuit, im not skiing today. but if i was i wouldnt need it. we are having unusually warm weather right now.

AirJunky
02-10-2006, 03:29 PM
OK, got it. I saw on the weather that the average temp in the US was like 8 or 9 degrees warmer this winter than average. Sure is here.

02-10-2006, 04:43 PM
Yes its been warmer than normal!!! :) Looking forward to an early season with this dry suit! :D

X45owner
02-12-2006, 03:44 AM
Thanks for the help with the tight neck seal. I may not need it until next year if the weather holds up. Upper 80's all week long!!!!!! Water temp a cool 60.
yes, I agree Rod.

UMP

02-12-2006, 10:21 AM
upper 80's and water in teh 60's??? well get out there boy!!! Dont be sittin in front of your computer, get out on the water!!!!! :rant:

Have fun:D

UMP

02-14-2006, 12:01 PM
:woohoo: WOOO HOOO!! The UPS truck delivered my new BFI dry suit today!!! And some seal tech, zip tech, and a neoprene hood. the gloves are still on the way. I ordered from Barefoot central. FAST shipping and very helpful service! :D I cant wait for spring to try this thing out!!!!! :headbang:

UMP

André
02-14-2006, 02:22 PM
:woohoo: WOOO HOOO!! The UPS truck delivered my new BFI dry suit today!!! And some seal tech, zip tech, and a neoprene hood. the gloves are still on the way. I ordered from Barefoot central. FAST shipping and very helpful service! :D I cant wait for spring to try this thing out!!!!! :headbang:

UMP
Why wait? Got a chainsaw? :friday:

02-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Why wait? Got a chainsaw? :friday:

Ya I know.......I been thinking.......I been thinking......Depends on if I can bribe my buddy to take his boat out. I am not taking the MC out yet. He got an older boat 16' with 120hp outboard on it. its not an MC, but in the middle a winter, I would ski behind a inflatable raft with an electric fan on it if it could pull me. He might actually take it out, I guess his "freeze proofing" is very, very simple. so we will see.......

Darn lake just froze last week here. I dont think its gonna be a long freeeze, its gonna melt soon. :cool:

tex
02-14-2006, 09:41 PM
BF Central rocks!

02-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Yes, BF central does Rock!

SO I tried on my dry suit last nite. It went well. It fits great. I have pretty much full range of motion in it, but its not too big either. I was expecting it to be a major pain in the rear, but it was pretty simple. If you treat the seal with seal tech before you put the suit on like the instructions say, its a breeze. After the fitting, I re treated the seals and hung it up in the basement so it can wait impatiently until spring. As soon as the ice melts in front of my parents house I am going to talk a walk out in the lake with it on using my wetsuit boots for my feet. I wanna try it out just to see what its like, then I will be ready for skiing. I am planning on getting out skiing in APril, unless mother nature allows me to get out in late march if the weather is nice and melts the ice(not much ice so far, so I am hoping) :D Anyway, I dont know much about dry suits, but my dad had an overtons baggy suit about 15 years ago, and I will tell you that my BFI suit looks like its built about 10 times as good as that one. I was really impressed with the quality. It looks very durable. Bring on spring!!!!

bigmac
02-15-2006, 09:45 AM
Yes, BF central does Rock!

SO I tried on my dry suit last nite. It went well. It fits great. I have pretty much full range of motion in it, but its not too big either. I was expecting it to be a major pain in the rear, but it was pretty simple. If you treat the seal with seal tech before you put the suit on like the instructions say, its a breeze. After the fitting, I re treated the seals and hung it up in the basement so it can wait impatiently until spring. As soon as the ice melts in front of my parents house I am going to talk a walk out in the lake with it on using my wetsuit boots for my feet. I wanna try it out just to see what its like, then I will be ready for skiing. I am planning on getting out skiing in APril, unless mother nature allows me to get out in late march if the weather is nice and melts the ice(not much ice so far, so I am hoping) :D Anyway, I dont know much about dry suits, but my dad had an overtons baggy suit about 15 years ago, and I will tell you that my BFI suit looks like its built about 10 times as good as that one. I was really impressed with the quality. It looks very durable. Bring on spring!!!!

Don't store it with the zipper closed. And 303 Protectant, or whatever you use on your boat vinyl, as as good as anything for the seals.

02-15-2006, 10:54 AM
Yea I got some Seal tech for the seals right from BFI. and I got some of the zipper stuff too. So you store the zipper open then?? thats the best thing for it?

atlfootr
02-20-2006, 08:48 AM
Yea, I am a bit concerned about the tight neck seals too. When I called BFI to get info on their suit Mike Siepel said that the seals will relax a bit after 6 or 8 uses.UMPYea, you really want tight seals! It maybe a bit unfomfty a first, but over time they will stretch out.

One nice thing I like about dealing w/ BFI is that Mike usually does answer when ya call, that's not always the case w/ other gear manfactr, here you can talk w/ the makers of the product, instead of some pee on that doesn't know squat about it :noface: and is only there to take your money. :twocents:

bigmac
02-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Yea I got some Seal tech for the seals right from BFI. and I got some of the zipper stuff too. So you store the zipper open then?? thats the best thing for it?
Zipper open. Apparently if you store it closed, the seal on the zipper can take a set from the compression and leading to premature failure. I think that keeping the seal soft and flexible with bee's wax or other zipper-stuff helps with that as well as lubricating the zipper and making it easier to slide.

02-20-2006, 09:24 AM
Yea, you really want tight seals! It maybe a bit unfomfty a first, but over time they will stretch out.

One nice thing I like about dealing w/ BFI is that Mike usually does answer when ya call, that's not always the case w/ other gear manfactr, here you can talk w/ the makers of the product, instead of some pee on that doesn't know squat about it :noface: and is only there to take your money. :twocents:

I agree!!! :toast: I like companies that are like that. That does more good for sales than they realize. I talked with mike before I bought my suit and the way he treated me on the phone was enough to buy a product from them. He is very informative and helpful. You dont see that too often. During my research I talked with dealers and talked to people at several places ( I wont metion any names) and they all werent very knowledgable about drysuits. This was the same thing when I was reseaching slalom skis this past summer. Its too bad really. :noface: Anyway, a big kudos to BFI for their great customer service. returning emails and phone calls.

UMP

bigmac
02-20-2006, 12:06 PM
I agree!!! :toast: I like companies that are like that. That does more good for sales than they realize. I talked with mike before I bought my suit and the way he treated me on the phone was enough to buy a product from them.

I agree on all points. I know that the foiling-specific suits are well-made too, but calling the two dealers that handle them was a frustrating experience, not to mention the 3-4 week wait. Figuring out sizing was especially problematic as those people had no clue how to assure they'd fit me.. Although my BFI suit is not exactly optimal for my purposes, it's extremely well-made and I had it in my hands 2 days after calling Mike, and his sizing information was right on.

02-20-2006, 12:17 PM
same here. I had mine in 3 days, and he asked me my height and weight, then told me what size I required. And it fits like a charm. You can bet if I need something else in the future I will call BFI if they manufacture it. They were excellent. :D

West TN Wake
02-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Awesome place..they are some good people out there in grizzly-sports country.
I second the full baggy style suit because you can pile as many or as little clothing underneath them as us want. I got the BARE Ultra after running a buddy's last year. Give Grizzly-Sports a shout (phone call) and they should hook you up with a good deal ( http://www.grizzly-sports.com ).

als2104
10-17-2007, 04:13 PM
I'm looking to buy a drysuit to help extend my season and I've got a sizing question. I'm strictly a slalom skier and the SWS Sahara has gotten some good reviews so I think I'm gonna give it a try. I'm 6' 175 lbs, and should prob fit into the L. As luck would have it everyone is sold outta L, so Im thinking about the XL. I know there has been some talk about the suits fitting real tight and I am kinda in between sizes. What are the risks of the suit being too big? Anyone who has this suit have any suggestions.
http://connellyskis.com/sahara_drysuits.php

Harvey
10-17-2007, 04:32 PM
I wear a baggie but then again I havent seriously used a slalom ski in about 3 years. The baggie works great when boarding.

als2104
10-17-2007, 05:40 PM
I think the neoprene bottom works better for slalom skiing.

Muttley
10-17-2007, 05:51 PM
So I am supposed to wear a regular wetsuit under neath the drysuit?? I didnt know that. SO thats for insulation I take it. What about wearing underarmour cold gear with some fleece pants and pullover? or is it easier to wear the wetsuit?? this is interesting.

:popcorn:

For the record, I dont barefoot, so its going to be for slalom skiing only.

Umm... Well, a wet suit under a dry suit a little pointless, but hey, each to his own. I have a Bare baggy drysuit and I have the acrylic fleecy that goes with it (sheds water). Naaaaiiiiiice and toasty. Sweatpants and a sweatshirt with a wool sweater work well. Wool will keep you warm, even when wet.

I have thin rubber booties that I use that will squeeze into the bindings. The neoprene wetsocks are nice, but they're a struggle to get in the bindings. I have a hood, but to me the freezing water gets trapped inside and I wind up not being able to get rid of the brain freeze. I find it better without.

The worst problem is the hands. The best I've found so far is putting dishwashing gloves on before my Connelly Ice gloves. Still pretty nasty. A hot water shower is a good thing.

The baggy drysuits do have a bit more drag getting up, but they aren't that bad. Come spring, you'll find you'll pop out of the water like a squeezed bar of soap, tho'.

Rockman
10-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Umm... Well, a wet suit under a dry suit a little pointless, but hey, each to his own.

For barefooting, you would want to wear a wetsuit under your drysuit but for slaloming or wake baording, probably not.

AirJunky
10-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Hey Muttley,
Try the 3 - 5 mm diving gloves available at any dive shop. The handle gets really big around & forearm pump is noticable, but you will stay warm in even the coldest waters. We have skied in the Seattle & Spokane areas with them for years & temps get into the low 30s air, and high 30s water.

Just had my neck seal replaced in my baggy..... $45 and good for another decade.

tex
10-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Umm... Well, a wet suit under a dry suit a little pointless, but hey, each to his own. I have a Bare baggy drysuit and I have the acrylic fleecy that goes with it (sheds water). Naaaaiiiiiice and toasty. Sweatpants and a sweatshirt with a wool sweater work well. Wool will keep you warm, even when wet.

I have thin rubber booties that I use that will squeeze into the bindings. The neoprene wetsocks are nice, but they're a struggle to get in the bindings. I have a hood, but to me the freezing water gets trapped inside and I wind up not being able to get rid of the brain freeze. I find it better without.

The worst problem is the hands. The best I've found so far is putting dishwashing gloves on before my Connelly Ice gloves. Still pretty nasty. A hot water shower is a good thing.

The baggy drysuits do have a bit more drag getting up, but they aren't that bad. Come spring, you'll find you'll pop out of the water like a squeezed bar of soap, tho'.
If you are footing, a BF suit is very helpful. I also wear a shorty under my dry suit when doing anything else. It has no sleeves and I wear a t-shirt under it. Keeps you very warm.

Muttley
10-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Hey Muttley,
Try the 3 - 5 mm diving gloves available at any dive shop.

Diving gloves! Thanks, I'll try that.

...and to all those who where wetsuits under their drysuits, more power to ya. I'm just gonna stick to my big warm blue fuzzy. :D

Remember, he said he wasn't footing. ;)

tex
10-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Mutt-Wasn't trying to give you the business. You should try the thin sleeveless wetsuit. You could wear less warm fuzzy and be very comfortable. Trust me, I've skiied in some very cold water.

spanielman50
10-17-2007, 11:12 PM
got my new dry suit from wiley's last wk. ski'd sunday here in the U.P.
norway mi..bought the one piece fleece under suit and was actually toasty
don't think you should hang your suit ,,,, i was told to fold and seal
WHY WAIT TILL SPRING who cares about deer huntin when you can ski

als2104
10-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Anyone have advice on the sizing issue I mentioned???? Thanks

"I'm looking to buy a drysuit to help extend my season and I've got a sizing question. I'm strictly a slalom skier and the SWS Sahara has gotten some good reviews so I think I'm gonna give it a try. I'm 6' 175 lbs, and should prob fit into the L. As luck would have it everyone is sold outta L, so Im thinking about the XL. I know there has been some talk about the suits fitting real tight and I am kinda in between sizes. What are the risks of the suit being too big? Anyone who has this suit have any suggestions.
http://connellyskis.com/sahara_drysuits.php"

WakeSeeky
10-18-2007, 01:08 PM

"I'm looking to buy a drysuit to help extend my season and I've got a sizing question. I'm strictly a slalom skier and the SWS Sahara has gotten some good reviews so I think I'm gonna give it a try. I'm 6' 175 lbs, and should prob fit into the L. As luck would have it everyone is sold outta L, so Im thinking about the XL. I know there has been some talk about the suits fitting real tight and I am kinda in between sizes. What are the risks of the suit being too big? Anyone who has this suit have any suggestions.
<A href="http://connellyskis.com/sahara_drysuits.php"[/quote">http://connellyskis.com/sahara_drysuits.php"

I can't help you on that particular suit, but I can tell you that my husband and I shared a large O'Neil baggy drysuit for a winter and a half until I got my own (size small) for Christmas last year. It worked fine for us, I would usually get some water down the neck, but I just used two sweatshirts, one for riding and one that stayed dry. Obviously I prefer the drysuit that fits me, but size wasn't the main reason I got the new one... I wanted feet in my drysuit to keep my toes warm. :D

Your mileage may vary wildly on this one, because our water temp here never gets below about 50, so getting a little wet isn't that big of a deal. If the suit doesn't fit right, you probably will get a little water in, especially on a hard fall. :twocents:

Muttley
10-18-2007, 01:25 PM
Mutt-Was trying to give you the business. You should try the thin sleeveless wetsuit. You could wear less warm fuzzy and be very comfortable. Trust me, I've skiied in some very cold water.

In Texas? How cold does the water get? (legit question - not trying to be a smart ***) In March, we can't get too close to the shore because of the ice. :( 2 years ago, we went snowboarding in the morning and water skiing in the afternoon, just to say we did it. I got a video tape somewhere. I ain't as young & brave as I used to be, but we used to carry a shovel and salt for the boat ramp.

I don't mean to knock it, as I haven't tried it, but I would think that a wetsuit under the drysuit would probably lead to a lot of sweating without the water. I can't see it breathing well. I would imagine it's also be a PITA to get in and out of. How comfortable is it when you're not skiing?

The warm fuzzy is made by Bare for the drysuit. It's like thick, flexible, fleece pajamas. Since it's acrylic, any water sheds off it. It looks a little ridiculous (I look like a 5 year old getting ready for bed) but, man, it's cozy! Usually all I need is that, a T-shirt and shorts, and the vest. I haven't needed to add the sweater as we don't push ourselves like we used to. I usually don't bother with the drysuit when the water is over 55*. Then it's just the full wetsuit.

BrianM
10-18-2007, 02:12 PM

http://connellyskis.com/sahara_drysuits.php"

I am 5'11" 175lbs and have a large Sahara. The XL would be too big. The way the suits are designed they need to fit snug especially at the wrists and ankles.

als2104
10-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks BrianM. Thats the type of advice I was looking for.

p.s. The 85 S&S looks great!!!

tex
10-18-2007, 08:54 PM
In Texas? How cold does the water get? (legit question - not trying to be a smart ***) In March, we can't get too close to the shore because of the ice. :( 2 years ago, we went snowboarding in the morning and water skiing in the afternoon, just to say we did it. I got a video tape somewhere. I ain't as young & brave as I used to be, but we used to carry a shovel and salt for the boat ramp.

I don't mean to knock it, as I haven't tried it, but I would think that a wetsuit under the drysuit would probably lead to a lot of sweating without the water. I can't see it breathing well. I would imagine it's also be a PITA to get in and out of. How comfortable is it when you're not skiing?

The warm fuzzy is made by Bare for the drysuit. It's like thick, flexible, fleece pajamas. Since it's acrylic, any water sheds off it. It looks a little ridiculous (I look like a 5 year old getting ready for bed) but, man, it's cozy! Usually all I need is that, a T-shirt and shorts, and the vest. I haven't needed to add the sweater as we don't push ourselves like we used to. I usually don't bother with the drysuit when the water is over 55*. Then it's just the full wetsuit.
Skied one season in Canada and 2 in Germany. Start of the season is skiing while it's snowing.

CHaus21
10-21-2007, 09:44 PM
I am 5'11" 175lbs and have a large Sahara. The XL would be too big. The way the suits are designed they need to fit snug especially at the wrists and ankles.

I just got my O'Neill Boost drysuit delivered this past weekend to get ready for the winter.

Question for you - How snug is snug? I obvioulsy know it needs to be tight to keep the water out, but I got a Medium (I'm 5'9" - 165 lb) and I feel like the neck and wrist line was cutting off my blood flow after only 2 minutes of wearing the suit.

Do they loosen up at all? I think if I went to Large, it would be too big.

Curious anyone's thoughts. Thanks!

BrianM
10-21-2007, 11:25 PM
I just got my O'Neill Boost drysuit delivered this past weekend to get ready for the winter.

Question for you - How snug is snug? I obvioulsy know it needs to be tight to keep the water out, but I got a Medium (I'm 5'9" - 165 lb) and I feel like the neck and wrist line was cutting off my blood flow after only 2 minutes of wearing the suit.

Do they loosen up at all? I think if I went to Large, it would be too big.

Curious anyone's thoughts. Thanks!

The seals on the neck and wrists will loosen up quite a bit after you ski it and pull it on and off a few times. If they are still real tight after a half a dozen times out then you can trim just a bit (1/8" at a time) from the seals which will make them fit just a little looser. Be careful though. A little tight is MUCH better than a little loose.

CHaus21
10-22-2007, 12:22 AM
Got it. Thanks for the info Brian!

JohnE
02-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Well UMP, what was the verdict after using the suit for a season? I am considering getting one for the Spring....How did you like it and how many times did you use it?