PDA

View Full Version : restore 78 stares and strips

78skier
01-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Hello
MY name is Dave and I would like to restore my 78' it is in Good con.
however I would like it to be in ment. I would like to start with the gel coat. Does any one have an idea how much this will coust and how long it will take. Then move to the inside on of the boat making the interer a little more plush. Oh I all most forgot dose anyone know where to get the stars and strips decals for my boat 78'.
Thank you all for you input.

NO MORE WINTER PLEASE

ski_king
01-28-2006, 04:01 PM
Hi Dave and welcome!

I am not much help on the gel coat, but I am sure others will chime in on that. What condition is the gel coat in? Does it just need buffed out, or repaired?

Before you get into working on the interior, be sure to check out the floor and stringers. If bad they can be replaced. A lot of work, but can be done.

A good upholstery shop can make you new skins for $1000 to $2000.

Your local MasterCraft dealer can help you with new style decals, if you want the old style, there are several places that can make them for you. PM me and I will give you a name or 2.

Now lets see some pictures of your boat!

Cloaked
01-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Hello
MY name is Dave and I would like to restore my 78' it is in Good con.
however I would like it to be in ment. I would like to start with the gel coat. Does any one have an idea how much this will coust and how long it will take. Then move to the inside on of the boat making the interer a little more plush. Oh I all most forgot dose anyone know where to get the stars and strips decals for my boat 78'.
Thank you all for you input.

NO MORE WINTER PLEASEWelcome. There is an answer to every question that one could possibly think up on restoration.... :)

Here's a helpful link... ==> http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/search.php?

78skier
01-28-2006, 04:33 PM
I will get some pick on thanks
The gel coat is in good con. but dose have some cips and stress cracks. Most of it could be buffed out others not so much. Not to sound dumb but what are stringers? What is a good product to use to buff the gell coat I shur I will need to try two or tree to see what I like the best but I do love the advice that everyone gives. :banana:

ski_king
01-28-2006, 05:00 PM
I will get some pick on thanks
The gel coat is in good con. but dose have some cips and stress cracks. Most of it could be buffed out others not so much. Not to sound dumb but what are stringers? What is a good product to use to buff the gell coat I shur I will need to try two or tree to see what I like the best but I do love the advice that everyone gives. :banana:
The stringers are the wooden beams that run the length of the boat under the floor. They are what give the hull its strength. You can see the engine mounts are lag bolted into the stringers. The stringers are protected by fiberlass, but if a crack in the bilge developes, the weill get wet and will rot. Do a lookup on here and you will see details of the repair.

Sodar
01-29-2006, 03:13 AM
78 Skier... Here is are some original decals. Not sure if they are the right ones or not, but check them out!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MASTERCRAFT-Replacement-Decal-Set_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ26451QQitemZ4608268 699QQrdZ1

jayderwin1
01-29-2006, 10:29 AM
a good buffing compound it (3M perfect it 2)

JEREMY79
01-29-2006, 03:54 PM
I think I might be able to help you. I have had a 79 all the way apart and put it back togther again
Let me know if you want some help

brianaw26
01-30-2006, 03:01 AM
Jeremy did you replace the stringers in your 79 or did you just replace the floor? I was looking at the pictures and I see the new floor but there is no fiberglass or epoxy on it. Did you coat it with anything? Also where did you get the gel coat done? Iím sure I could find it if I search but Iím just trying to get everything in one place. Thanks a lot.

JEREMY79
01-30-2006, 08:23 AM
I have new stringers they are steel tough, not wood. The pics you see of the floor the bottom side was coated with fiberglass and the top was fixing to be. Kinda an inbetween pic. I did everything myself.

X-45
01-30-2006, 08:57 AM
I have new stringers they are steel tough, not wood.

What is steel tough. Is that a brand name. Your realy making me want my old boat back.

:steering:

Cloaked
01-30-2006, 09:26 AM
What is steel tough. Is that a brand name. Your realy making me want my old boat back.

:steering:Sticking my nose in here where it doesn't belong, Jeremy posted a progressive thread about his rebuild. IIRC, he put in new stringers and glassed them entirely, prior to putting the floor back in. In addition to that, I've seen J's boat and he did an excellent job from the hull out to the final paint. It's steel tough....

JEREMY79
01-30-2006, 07:46 PM
yall would not pick on a fella that couldnt type would you.
Supposed to be "steel though." I used 2"x4" steel square tubing that was cut to shape with the ends capped and glassed to the boat.

X-45
01-30-2006, 08:31 PM
yall would not pick on a fella that couldnt type would you.
Supposed to be "steel though." I used 2"x4" steel square tubing that was cut to shape with the ends capped and glassed to the boat.

Excellent. Very impressive. Did you drill and tap the tubing for the engine mounts or weld the mounts in-place.

:headbang:

JEREMY79
01-30-2006, 08:44 PM
Drill, there is a nut welded on the inside of the tubing.

ski_king
01-30-2006, 08:53 PM
yall would not pick on a fella that couldnt type would you.....I used 2"x4" steel square tubing ......
Yes we would, 2"x4" is rectangular, not square 8p

But on the serious side, your steel tubing for stringers sounds like a great idea! I will keep that in mind if I ever have to replace mine.