01-27-2006, 11:10 PM
this is the first ad ever run by Mastercraft:

Boogieman
01-28-2006, 12:00 AM
nice . .. . !!!

pilot02
01-28-2006, 12:41 AM
What year is that ad from?

Based on the price, I'd say in the late 70's. I know we bought a 21' 1979 Galaxy new for less than $4200.

Sodar
01-28-2006, 02:48 AM

Based on the price, I'd say in the late 70's. I know we bought a 21' 1979 Galaxy new for less than $4200.

Since he said it was the first ad run, I would imagine it has got to be from the late 60's. I guess MC's have always been a bit pricey!

bucky
01-28-2006, 08:51 AM
Yeah, that would have been a tough call. MasterCraft or big block Corvette.:steering:

Since he said it was the first ad run, I would imagine it has got to be from the late 60's. I guess MC's have always been a bit pricey!

SteveO
01-28-2006, 10:26 AM
Yeah, that would have been a tough call. MasterCraft or big block Corvette.:steering:

Not much has changed. New $60k sports car or the MC?

jayderwin1
01-28-2006, 10:28 AM
i think mastercrafts came out in 1969

ski_king
01-28-2006, 10:49 AM
I understand the first ones were made in 1968.

But I thought Rob Shirley made them in his parents barn in Marysville, TN.

ski_king
01-28-2006, 10:55 AM
From MasterCrafts web site:

A Modest Beginning

MasterCraft was founded in 1968 when it built its first ski boat in a two-stall horse barn on a farm in Maryville, Tennessee. Dissatisfied with the large wakes and pull of other ski boats, MasterCraft builders designed a hull that had the smallest wake in the industry; smooth and low at slalom and jump speeds; well defined at trick speeds.

In its first year of operation, MasterCraft only built 12 boats. But the boat design was so revolutionary that the company began getting order after order for its boats and MasterCraft soon became recognized as a force in the tournament ski boat market. Thirty-eight years later, MasterCraft is producing over 3000 boats per year.

Maybe they had a sales office in Flordia.

skitilldark
01-28-2006, 11:38 AM

This came courtesy of Jenny Lowe(Lucky Lowe's mother) who has an amazing collection of skiing memoribilia in Orlando-the American Waterski Education Foundation.She is an amazing person by the way and loves waterskiing so much. She knows a lot more than I do, but I don't think there's an absolute first date for the first time it ran. Best I can figure, this ad was a start-up ad just before production. I would say it most likely came out in late 1968 since that's when Rob started building them.

TMCNo1
01-28-2006, 11:38 AM
It's my understanding that Rob Shirley built the boats in Maryville,TN and then took them FL to sell to the skiers down there first and as they proved their worthiness there, the word spread around the country and here we are today!..................Lucky Lowe's mother is CAROLE and her husband is C.W., she is Executive Director of the American Water Ski Educational Foundation and The Water Ski Hall Of Fame off Interstate 4 between Orlando and Tampa. C.W. is a past Executive Director.

atlfootr
02-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Where it's still happening ....

Workin' 4 Toys
02-03-2006, 01:24 AM
Not much has changed. New $60k sports car or the MC?Interesting point. I had not thought about it.

skitilldark
02-05-2006, 11:23 PM
It's my understanding that Rob Shirley built the boats in Maryville,TN and then took them FL to sell to the skiers down there first and as they proved their worthiness there, the word spread around the country and here we are today!..................Lucky Lowe's mother is CAROLE and her husband is C.W., she is Executive Director of the American Water Ski Educational Foundation and The Water Ski Hall Of Fame off Interstate 4 between Orlando and Tampa. C.W. is a past Executive Director.

Yeah...thanks for that correction. I have no idea why I typed "Jenny" .I'm getting old...my mind is going. Too many toe side face slams I guess. Carole is an awesome person. I wish we could all supprt her more. Every MC enthusiast should donate to the American Waterski Educational Foundation just to help her out.