PDA

View Full Version : For those over 40

whitedog
01-27-2006, 05:22 PM
My Mom used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread mayo on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to
get food poisoning.

My Mom used to defrost hamburger on the counter AND I used to eat it raw sometimes, too. Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown paper bag, not in icepack coolers, but I can't remember getting e.coli.

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then.

The term cell phone would have conjured up a phone in a jail cell, and a pager was the school PA system.

We all took gym, not PE... and risked permanent injury with a pair of high top Ked's (only worn in gym)
instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors. I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened, because they tell
us how much safer we are now..

Flunking gym was not an option... even for stupid kids! I guess PE must be much harder than gym.

Speaking of school, we all said prayers and sang the national anthem, and staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention.

We must have had horribly damaged psyches. What an archaic health system we had then. Remember school nurses? Ours wore a hat and
everything.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself.

I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cable stations.

Oh yeah... and where was the Benadryl and sterilization kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!

We played 'king of the hill' on piles of gravel left on vacant construction sites, and when we got hurt, Mom pulled out the 48-cent bottle of Mercurochrome (kids liked it better because it didn't sting like iodine did) and then we got our butt spanked.

Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10-day dose of a $49 bottle of antibiotics, and then Mom calls the attorney to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

We didn't act up at the neighbor's house either because if we did, we got our butt spanked there and then we got butt spanked again when we got home.

I recall Donny Reynolds from next door coming over and doing his tricks on the front stoop, just before he fell off. Little did his Mom know
that she could have owned our house. Instead, she picked him up and swatted him for being such a goof. It was a neighborhood run amuck.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family. How could we possibly have known that?

We needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes? We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac! How did we ever survive?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
01-27-2006, 05:33 PM
I am 33 yrs old and I can relate to alot of that. It is sad what has happend in alot of respects. It seems the human race takes one step forward and two steps back.

Footin
01-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Very well said.

RackAtak
01-27-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm 43 tomorrow...
Never wore a helmet while riding our bicycles unless we were pretending to be motocross pros and then the helmet was only for looks.
Had bottle rocket fights regularly.
Had rock fights regularly.
Stayed out late at night and walked downtown without fear of being abducted.
Our video game was Pong!
Regularly got hit with a wooden spoon by my mother and knew I deserved it.
We were never without "wrist rocket" sling shots.
We respected and feared adults and cops.
I'm sure I can come up with many more...

School Skier
01-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Those were the days my friend! At 54 I remember them well. If we had a problem at school the teacher took the first chunk out of you then the principal then mom took her chunk out of us and dad finished us off for dinner.

EricB
01-27-2006, 06:23 PM
But look at the good side of this....nobody now needs to be accountable for their actions nor be responsable! And if you get caught you just tell another lie or blame it on the way you were raised.
How can you have respect for anybody or anything when your'e constantly killing things on your XBox while sitting on the sofa eating preservatives? It is hard to be responsible for your actions when you are de-sensetized or never taught.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
01-27-2006, 06:33 PM
How can you have respect for anybody or anything when your'e constantly killing things on your XBox while sitting on the sofa eating preservatives?

TRUE DAT! (tagline used with permission from JR ;) )

M-Funf
01-27-2006, 06:38 PM
It is truly amazing that any of us over 40's are alive today :cool:

Boy, that brought back some memories... :rolleyes:

bucky
01-27-2006, 07:00 PM
Ahh, the good old days! Lead paint. Lead in the drinking water. Lead in the air from the parents' lead sled. Mutually Assured Destruction (probably from all the lead). The draft. Polio. You knew about your priest but no one spoke about it. No premarital sex. I sure miss it!

Ric
01-27-2006, 07:03 PM
and riding in the backs of pickup trucks! Now, that kinda fun is only had by the immigrant workers

M-Funf
01-27-2006, 07:05 PM
I remember when my dad (who is an HVAC engineer) used to bring home old thermostat bulbs. We'd bust 'em open, and pour the mercury into a glass jar we had. For fun, we'd dump some on the concrete floor in the family room and roll it around with our fingers, breaking it up into small balls, then getting them to pool back together...Sometimes it would get stuck in this one crack in the floor, and we'd just leave it there... 8p

It hasn't had any effect on my sister...see!
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=5093&stc=1

RackAtak
01-27-2006, 07:21 PM
How about un organized sports with invisible 2nd basemen because there weren't enough kids to have a full field.
Cox gas airplanes on strings that always ended up hitting one of us.
You knew where the mean dogs lived and you knew if you went near you would be chased, but sometimes you went near on purpose so you could get chased.
Bactine.
School bullies that you dealt with yourself and accepted as part of being a kid.

M-Funf
01-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Bactine.

Bactine is the Shiznit!

Footin
01-27-2006, 07:27 PM
How about un organized sports with invisible 2nd basemen because there weren't enough kids to have a full field.
Cox gas airplanes on strings that always ended up hitting one of us.
You knew where the mean dogs lived and you knew if you went near you would be chased, but sometimes you went near on purpose so you could get chased.
Bactine.
School bullies that you dealt with yourself and accepted as part of being a kid.

I still have a cox control line plane, I fly it a few times each summer.

Hoosier Bob
01-27-2006, 07:33 PM
41 this May and in my short day "NOBODY" was above an A-Whoopin'! I never ever, ever called any one of my parents friends or any elder anything other than sir and ma'am or Mr., Mrs. or Ms. Jones. That being said it is still a cool ride! :D

M-Funf
01-27-2006, 07:41 PM
"Red Rover"

Asking the neighbors permission before going into their backyard to get the ball that went over the fence...

Ditching school could get you into REAL trouble...

ALL the neighborhood mothers kept an eye on you :rolleyes: ...

Summer vacation trips where we all loaded everything we had into the '67 CarryAll (the one with three doors). I'd climb into the "way-back" where I could stand up for the trip...

No seatbelts...

Smoking EVERYWHERE...

:cool:

RackAtak
01-27-2006, 09:01 PM
"Red Rover"

Asking the neighbors permission before going into their backyard to get the ball that went over the fence...
...Summer vacation trips where we all loaded everything we had into the '67 CarryAll (the one with three doors). I'd climb into the "way-back" where I could stand up for the trip...

:cool:
And being apprehensive about asking to get the ball because it really was your fault. Standing up for the trip and thinking that is a fun and good idea...LOL...that is a crack up! :uglyhamme

RackAtak
01-27-2006, 09:05 PM
I still have a cox control line plane, I fly it a few times each summer.
Picture this. You are sitting in some high school bleachers with a bunch of other kids watching a buddy fly the plane...as he goes in circles he is getting dizzy and moving closer to the bleachers with each spin...a wave of kids starts running down the row of no back seats and one of the unlucky ones gets clocked with the plane in the back of the head. It happened to us!

skitilldark
01-27-2006, 09:08 PM
I'm STILL mad about high diving boards. How did we let those
pin-headed lawyers and safety nazis do away with high dives?
No wonder kids are turning to video games for their excitement.

atlfootr
01-27-2006, 09:39 PM
If we had a problem at school the teacher took the first chunk out of you, then the principal, then mom, and dad finished us off for dinner.If they did that now, they'd ALL be booked in the pokey
looking @ criminal or civil court proceedings to follow.

Footin
01-27-2006, 09:42 PM
All of my six year olds friends parents are told to keep him in line when he is at their houses, if they would spank him I am sure he deserved it.

Gofast
01-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Don't forget the fun we had with Lawn Darts, Clackers and of course BB gun fights.

It was "OK" to play Cowboys and Indians. It was fun to be the indian and shoot the arrow ( suction cup removed ) at the cowboy ( shooting real BB's at you ).

Did we mention riding bikes all day long without having to call in on the cell phone? Street lamps were the main timepiece for how long I could stay out.....

Thanks for the memories.

42 and almost grown up.

Rob

Footin
01-27-2006, 09:44 PM
Don't forget the fun we had with Lawn Darts, Clackers and of course BB gun fights.

It was "OK" to play Cowboys and Indians. It was fun to be the indian and shoot the arrow ( suction cup removed ) at the cowboy ( shooting real BB's at you ).

Did we mention riding bikes all day long without having to call in on the cell phone? Street lamps were the main timepiece for how long I could stay out.....

Thanks for the memories.

42 and almost grown up.

Rob

Lawn darts.....or "Jarts", theres a lawsuit waitin to happen nowadays

The street lights thing...that brings back memories.

Footin
01-27-2006, 09:46 PM
Now when I go out with my buddies I tell the wife "I'll be home before the street lights turn off"

André
01-27-2006, 11:41 PM
You actually had to walk to the TV each time to change channels.
Try to explain that one to your kids and look at their face! ;)
No BB gun for me but we had "Potato Gun" :worthy:

JEREMY79
01-27-2006, 11:46 PM
How many kids do you see now that will (or can) put a chain back on a bike?

MarkP
01-27-2006, 11:53 PM
LOL,

I think now a days they just replace the bike. Don’t they??

RackAtak
01-28-2006, 12:13 AM
How many of us had our pants caught in the chain and as a result were launched over the handlebars? :eek:

RackAtak
01-28-2006, 12:16 AM
No BB gun for me but we had "Potato Gun" :worthy:
We just shot a potato gun last week! Still fun! A little ether goes a long way. I would rather get hit with an old Daisy BB gun than a potato gun anyday!!!

redmike
01-28-2006, 12:36 AM
We just shot a potato gun last week! Still fun! A little ether goes a long way. I would rather get hit with an old Daisy BB gun than a potato gun anyday!!!
all I can say is NEVER shoot a tennis ball out of one...long story.... :guitar:

beef
01-28-2006, 12:41 AM

Mine can't believe that cartoons were only on Saturday morning!

stumbledog
01-28-2006, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the memories.

42 and almost grown up.

Rob

This past Labor Day, my brother-in-law brought a Lawn Dart set along on our annual camping trip. A couple darts were all busted, but it was still a blast. I want a new one.

Leroy
01-28-2006, 08:16 AM
THis is great, our phone line had 8 other families on it, and you had to spin the dial to make a call! I enjoyed seeing my kids push their finger in each hole to make a call.

bucky
01-28-2006, 08:47 AM
My home town had a little old lady who pushed the button to set off the air raid siren every day at Noon and 6 pm to tell time. No remote? Try to explain to your kids what UHF was. And I still have a rotary phone because the power goes off all the time.

ski_king
01-28-2006, 10:19 AM
THis is great, our phone line had 8 other families on it, and you had to spin the dial to make a call! I enjoyed seeing my kids push their finger in each hole to make a call.
My mom still uses an old fashon rotary dial phone.

My daughters friend was with us there one day and had no idea how to use the phone without buttons on it.

Foiler
01-28-2006, 10:43 AM
Wow, some things I forgot about like my bellbottoms getting caught in the chain on the bike.
Neighborhood football games is another one.
Cartoons seemed better, remember Jonny Quest

Sunday night meant the wonderful world of disney and Wild kingdom.
We spent most of the time outside, no cable or video games besides tennis ...guess it was a good time to be a kid.

Leroy
01-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Growing up we knew were all of our food came from and only a few items we bought from the store. I don't remember ever having the runs growing up, but a neighbor that did buy city food did have food poisoning once.

When you were ill the name was always simple, he is sick, his head hurts, he's going to die, etc.

Never heard of any of the sicknesses from eggs, chicken meat (but it was fun to see the chickens run around without a head), beef or pork.

Eating out was hamburger, fries and coke once every few months at the KMart deli.

Hoosier Bob
01-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Party Line!!!! My girlfriend growing up was on a party line and I can still remember the other people on the service picking up the line and asking when we would be through. I'll be off in a minute Mrs. So and so! Could you imagine that today with our kids? How about a cell phone shared by 10 people! The best thing about the old days was driving in the old man's 67' GTO to Sunoco! Free Hotwheel with a fill up! That was all I needed, and some Sears Toughskins of course! Anybody ever wear out a pair of Toughskins? :D

JEREMY79
01-28-2006, 11:27 AM
Kids used to settle stuff themselves. I dont think I ever had a problem that I didnt get settles. No parents, teachers or lawyers.

RackAtak
01-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Anybody ever wear out a pair of Toughskins? :D
Toughskins Ha Ha...My mom would have to buy me Toughskin "huskies" :o

skitilldark
01-28-2006, 12:01 PM
did any of you have bb gun wars? no eye protection, short sleeve shirts and shorts. a mom's worst nightmare...but zero injuries.

Hoosier Bob
01-28-2006, 12:11 PM
About the Zero injuries? Front tooth, Blown right out of my mouth by a BB gun. I was the only one who got into trouble because it bouced of a tree! Had a cap on my front tooth since the 5th grade. Also BB lodged in friends arm that also landed me into some trouble. Bow and arrow also was probably not the best choice for me as a play thing. I would not trade any of it but those on the receiving end may see it differently. I did like the fact that when I was a kid a bloody nose pretty much settled it! Never had one! :D did any of you have bb gun wars? no eye protection, short sleeve shirts and shorts. a mom's worst nightmare...but zero injuries.

Leroy
01-28-2006, 12:17 PM
And the family car would smoke the tires for like a mile! :D

The best thing about the old days was driving in the old man's 67' GTO to Sunoco! Free Hotwheel with a fill up!

Hoosier Bob
01-28-2006, 12:18 PM
I think Toughskins should be standard issue for anyone in the military or law enforcement service.
Toughskins Ha Ha...My mom would have to buy me Toughskin "huskies" :o

lakes Rick
01-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Cartoons seemed better, remember Johnny Quest?

The original Johnny Quest is on Zoom channel occasionally.. At least my kids tell me it is... ;)

lakes Rick
01-28-2006, 12:32 PM
And you could watch the Uncut version of Blazing Saddles without feeling Politically incorrect......

lakes Rick
01-28-2006, 12:33 PM
My mom still uses an old fashon rotary dial phone.

My daughters friend was with us there one day and had no idea how to use the phone without buttons on it.

I was watching an older show and someone used a dial phone. My son (21) asked what it was.........

RackAtak
01-28-2006, 12:51 PM
did any of you have bb gun wars? no eye protection, short sleeve shirts and shorts. a mom's worst nightmare...but zero injuries.
Starting at about 9 years old, me and all my friends were always carrying a wrist rocket slingshot (don't leave home without it). One of our dads was a big time local skeet shooter who used to reload. Well, we used the spent primers as ammo. When shot from a sling shot they whistle while on their way towards you and the worst thing about them is that they didn't fly straight, more like a wicked curve ball, so trying to dodge them was a futile effort. You're best bet was to stand still and take your chances. Fortunately we all grew into adulthood with both eyes! Getting hit with a load of 7 shot shot out of a sling shot pouch was an experience all it's own also!

How about playing war? The kid who could make the best machine gun sound while using a 2x4 or broom stick for a machine gun was always the envy of all the other kids. And then the kid who got the plastic machine gun with the pull back action with the little red tip that would move back and forth while pulling the trigger...well he was everyone's hero!

Flexi Flyers.
Skateboards and roller skates with metal wheels.
Whizzers.
A brick of firecrackers one at a time.
Using a CB radio while parked in your dads truck to talk to your friend who was in his dads parked truck across the street from you.

Man this thread is bringing back some good memories! It defenitely was a simpler time...

skitilldark
01-28-2006, 01:54 PM
About the Zero injuries? Front tooth, Blown right out of my mouth by a BB gun. I was the only one who got into trouble because it bouced of a tree! Had a cap on my front tooth since the 5th grade. Also BB lodged in friends arm that also landed me into some trouble. Bow and arrow also was probably not the best choice for me as a play thing. I would not trade any of it but those on the receiving end may see it differently. I did like the fact that when I was a kid a bloody nose pretty much settled it! Never had one! :D

You guys were probably better shots than we were. I only remember getting pelted in the legs and chest...never near the head.

milkmania
01-28-2006, 01:59 PM
This thread made me hungry for the old days......

so, I made a Pineapple Upside Cake...... From Scratch!!!

that's what I'm talkin' bout':woohoo:

on the cooling rack nowhttp://aritah.com/images/smilies/eat.gif

Hoosier Bob
01-28-2006, 02:11 PM
You will make a good wife some day Milky! Are you going to eat it or blow it up with some M-80 firecrackers!!!!! :D
This thread made me hungry for the old days......

so, I made a Pineapple Upside Cake...... From Scratch!!!

that's what I'm talkin' bout':woohoo:

on the cooling rack nowhttp://aritah.com/images/smilies/eat.gif

milkmania
01-28-2006, 02:15 PM
You will make a good wife some day Milky! Are you going to eat it or blow it up with some M-80 firecrackers!!!!! :D

I eat very few sweets/pastries/cakes/pies/etc........
holidays/birthdays/anything like that,

but I will get my grub on for pineapple upside down cake!