PDA

View Full Version : Craziest things that have happened on the water

skitilldark
01-26-2006, 06:58 PM
Last season, we had to drop a slalom skier(who was having a really good run, by the way) to wait for two deer to cross in front of us.

rodltg2
01-26-2006, 07:02 PM
that must be some fast deer or a slow boat.

slalomskifreak
01-26-2006, 08:36 PM
That would have been neat to see. Here is one of many for me.

Osage Beach, Lake of the Ozarks in early 80's. Our skier gets in boat. Another boat runs over ski rope before we get it in going slow enough that the rope doesn't break. Drags boat backwards, (like in Jaws) and flips boat over. Everyone jumps out as boat is going under from the stern. Everything to bottom of lake that didn't float. Turns out the guy driving the other boat was mentally handicap. Everyone in boat was ok. Kinda ruined the day.

skitilldark
01-26-2006, 09:16 PM
I've got another one...a friend of mine and I had made a quick run after work on a friday afternoon to the lake to set if we could get in two sets a piece in before sunset. So we're sitting there at the launch ramp waiting for one boat outgoing and one boat incoming.

Since we've got a few minutes to kill we start telling launch ramp stories(this could be a whole new thread by the way). So right in the middle of the second story, I notice these two dudes who are obviously trying to load a bass boat for the first time.

After 6 attempts (each of which ended with the boat drifting sideways off the trailer) (thank god MC or Correctcraft came up with those raised rear guide poles!)I decided to see if I could help them.

About the time I got near the water I could see what was about to happen...the guy in the bass boat was at a sharp angle on the trailer and was relatively heavy to boot. Once he put the boat in reverse to make another attempt, I saw the rear transom go under.

So I yelled out to him to at least cut the motor (which he did) as I dove in after him. Long story short, the boat ended up swamped with myself and one other person literally holding the boat to keep the motor from going under. Once enough people got in and man-handled the totally swamped boat back on the trailer, we looked in the boat...and, believe it or not, swimming around in it was a really nice fish. Caught while loading the boat. Go figure!

Lesson: Don't tell launch disaster storys while at the launch ramp.

SKI*MC
01-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Way back when, my dad hit thins thing while he was skiing. He wasnt sure if it was dead to begin with or if he killed it. But this is a plastic ore that the fish is bending...

skitilldark
01-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Way back when, my dad hit thins thing while he was skiing. He wasnt sure if it was dead to begin with or if he killed it. But this is a plastic ore that the fish is bending...

What did he hit it with? Any prop damage?

SKI*MC
01-26-2006, 09:34 PM
He it it with the ski!

skitilldark
01-26-2006, 09:36 PM
He it it with the ski!

Man...that's got to be one for the ages.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-26-2006, 09:56 PM
That would certainly be hanging on the wall if that was my "snag" of the day.....;)

SKI*MC
01-26-2006, 09:57 PM
yeah i know! Thats what i would have done. But he barried it on the beach he is standing on..

jayocheskey
01-26-2006, 09:58 PM
I worked as a camp counselor at a waterski/wakeboard camp a few years back on Lake Trinity about an hour North of Houston. Lake Trinity is a swampy River-fed lake. I'm out with my assistant and a boatload of 8 thirteen and fourteen year olds the day after a torrential downpour, so the lake is a little dirty from the branches and brush that has washed out from the river. We've completed our first on-shore lessons and it's time to give the kids a demo on deep-water starts and basic board control. I jump in for a quick demonstration and as I'm riding along, we come upon what appears to me to be a really big stump. The kids in the boat and my driver are absolutely freaking out. As I pass it, I notice it's about a 15' Gator belly up in the water -- NOW I'M FREAKING OUT!!!

Needless to say, I don't drop anytime soon and we get as close to the shore before I let go and scurry up to the grass. I guess it had been washed out with the rest of the brush fromt he river. We went back over to inspect it - that sucker was huge - I still get chills every time I think about it.

SKI*MC
01-26-2006, 10:01 PM
WOW! I would have told the boat driver to floor it! SH!T that had to have been scary!

jayocheskey
01-26-2006, 10:07 PM
WOW! I would have told the boat driver to floor it! SH!T that had to have been scary!

I've never had a more controlled and boring 5 minute ride in my life after I saw that sorry sucker floating in the water.

milkmania
01-26-2006, 10:11 PM
I've never had a more controlled and boring 5 minute ride in my life after I saw that sorry sucker floating in the water.

I may have been doing a hand over hand on that rope until I caught up with the boat:eek:

SKI*MC
01-26-2006, 10:16 PM
Brett Wing used to do those on his trick runs! He would work his way up into the boat, get into the back, and then work his way back out.

Sodar
01-27-2006, 12:05 AM
Last summer, I was pulling my friend who was training for the Catalina Ski Race. We were about 15 miles offshore, when my skier fell after hitting a swell. As I was circling to pick him up, I noticed a fin... I figured it was a sunfish sun bathing, but upon closer inspection it was a 6 foot mako shark. I yelled at my skier that he had company behind him... I have never seen eyes that big or him swim so fast back to the boat!!!

AirJunky
01-27-2006, 01:06 AM
Wow, I have tons of stories for a thread like this.
One time we rescued 4 people from a sunk picklefork after they bounced off the rocks on the Parker Strip.
Another time we weathered a hurricane on Lake Havasu in a houseboat....... yep, hurricane Nora in 1997 on Havasu, believe it.
But after watching that video of the Catalina ski race, the only thing I can think to compare is a video about an 85 yr old lady who skis that race every year for her birthday.
Believe it, or not! (http://www.foilfreaks.com/Videos/MaryMurphy/MaryMurphy-Ripleys-2-26-03.wmv)

Sodar
01-27-2006, 01:19 AM
Haha, I saw Mike's mom out foiling the other day! Mike uses Marine Stadium as a training ground for his Foil School. Do you drive from Washington to Parker/Havasu or did you live closer at one time? Between Parker, Havasu, Mead and Laughlin one could create a thread a mile long with crazy stories!

AirJunky
01-27-2006, 01:34 AM
Yea, we've made the trip a dozen or so times the last 10 yrs. The whole SoCal / AZ ski scene is absolutely nuts compared to up here. Boats flying by down skiers at 100+ mph.
The fact that boats only have to stay 30' away from docks or other boats while at speed.
The skiing done on the strip is the most outrageous anywhere I've been. I saw a guy hot dog ski on an old HO Mach 1 at 40 mph. No lie, backwards sub starts, tic tocs, jumping opposing boats wakes, and a front flip to cap it off.
You've seen Murphy ski. Everything about the guy is outrageous......including his jump to nose pick / booger flick.

tex
01-27-2006, 08:26 AM
I hit a bird at the top of the ramp once. Bird was feathers and I was out the back!

skitilldark
01-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Wow, I have tons of stories for a thread like this.
One time we rescued 4 people from a sunk picklefork after they bounced off the rocks on the Parker Strip.
Another time we weathered a hurricane on Lake Havasu in a houseboat....... yep, hurricane Nora in 1997 on Havasu, believe it.
But after watching that video of the Catalina ski race, the only thing I can think to compare is a video about an 85 yr old lady who skis that race every year for her birthday.
Believe it, or not! (http://www.foilfreaks.com/Videos/MaryMurphy/MaryMurphy-Ripleys-2-26-03.wmv)

I would like to see what a hurricane on Havasu would do to the chop on the water....must have been three feet high. How on earth did you pull off a rescue in those conditions?

AirJunky
01-27-2006, 11:18 AM
I would like to see what a hurricane on Havasu would do to the chop on the water....must have been three feet high. How on earth did you pull off a rescue in those conditions?
It brings out the windsurfers!!
The houseboat rental company called us when the hurricane warnings came thru. We ran the houseboat up on the beach in a cove that had protection to the south (storm was moving up the Sea of Cortez). Then tied it down multiple times. Then jumped in our own ski boats & got the he11 out of there! When we came back, our boat was fine. But there were many other houseboats that year that got tossed around & were total losses.

Kevin 89MC
01-27-2006, 03:43 PM
I may have told this before . . . my worst story was a few years ago, we were getting ready to go for a nice late afternoon set, and see some jetskis out in the middle of the lake. We head over to see if they ran out of gas or broke down. Sadly, the gal hit a wave and went "out the front", but caught her thigh on the handlebar. Broke the thigh bones in half! :eek: Surprisingly, no skin was pierced, so no blood loss. She was consious, but kinda whacked out (I probably would be too). Her boyfriend couldn't really do much except wait to be rescued. We put her on the back of the platform and idle back into shore, with me holding her legs together. We call for an ambulance, she goes into surgery and is OK. Apparently has a bit of a limp, but she can walk. We then "rescued" the floating jetskis and drove them back to the boatlaunch. I never had a big desire to get a jetski before, after that I really don't wan't one. :noface:

jmyers
01-27-2006, 03:56 PM
Brett Wing used to do those on his trick runs! He would work his way up into the boat, get into the back, and then work his way back out.
I haven't herd that name in a long time, Brett actaully taught me to ski out here! Cool guy! :D

jmyers
01-27-2006, 04:10 PM
Wew were sitting on a friends dock out on the delta and a boat went flying by the dock (in a 5 mile zone) 2 or three times pulling a tube swinging this guy around full throttle! Side not our levees are rocked on both sides to avoid erosion after the last swing by we couldn't believe this idiot was doing this with the speed and levees so close together! After the last pass they disappeared around the corner and we thought they were done, about 10 minutes later we see the boat coming back very slow with something on the bow! :eek: As they got closer we could see it was the guy that was on the tube the rope broke as they were slinging him around and sent him head first into the rocked bank! His leg was wrapped around his head and his arm was completely broken, and his forehead was ripped half way off his head! They pulled up and there was blood pouring off the bow, we scooped him onto the dock(literally) and called 911 they tried to get him in an ambulance and couldn't because of the injuries so they landed a helicopter on the highway on the levee about 40 ft from us! The guy did recover but was really screwed up for a while!

skitilldark
01-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Wew were sitting on a friends dock out on the delta and a boat went flying by the dock (in a 5 mile zone) 2 or three times pulling a tube swinging this guy around full throttle! Side not our levees are rocked on both sides to avoid erosion after the last swing by we couldn't believe this idiot was doing this with the speed and levees so close together! After the last pass they disappeared around the corner and we thought they were done, about 10 minutes later we see the boat coming back very slow with something on the bow! :eek: As they got closer we could see it was the guy that was on the tube the rope broke as they were slinging him around and sent him head first into the rocked bank! His leg was wrapped around his head and his arm was completely broken, and his forehead was ripped half way off his head! They pulled up and there was blood pouring off the bow, we scooped him onto the dock(literally) and called 911 they tried to get him in an ambulance and couldn't because of the injuries so they landed a helicopter on the highway on the levee about 40 ft from us! The guy did recover but was really screwed up for a while!

Talk about a downer of a day. Just SEEING that would be a buzz-killer.

rodltg2
01-27-2006, 04:34 PM
at folsom lake there is a beach that people sunbath and party at. alot of boats also pull up to hang out and party. so one saturday i was there hanging out in my boat. a "suck my wake" jet boat pulls up and parks pretty close to me. he parks his boat with the bow pointed towards shore. folsom lake get very choppy on the weekdends. some rollers came by and started to swamop the back of the boat . the dumb a$$es start to rush to the back of the boat to check it out. well with the combined weight of the water and 2 guys, more water started coming in and down she went. we quickly threw them rope to tie the the bow eye so he wouldn't lose his boat. after we got them all out of the water we towed the boat back to the shore. it actually plained out after awhile.

skitilldark
01-27-2006, 04:34 PM
I figured it was time to introduce the alcohol-related stories;

One night as we were winding up our friday night festivities—and you know those people who just can't seem to call it a night (at 3AM)? Well, we had one.

So after everyone was in bed, this dude decides to take a midnight cruise. Thankfully, he didn't take the X-9, he took the runabout, but he goes tearing down the lake and through either total darkness, total drunkeness, or total stupidity he runs right into the steel dam runoff safety line(it is strung across the lake with all kinds of warning signs on it about keeping away from the suction of the dam). So the line tears into the prop/transom on the I/O and (luckily) holds fast(Otherwise he would have soared over the dam) dragging the boat down from 40 to 0 in about 5 feet. Needless to say this idiot keeps going-hurling himself over the front of the boat and landing on a last-ditch chain-link fence to keep him from being sucked over the 80 ft dam dropoff.

He shows up at the lakehouse door 2 hours later having been dropped off by the police. They asked us if we knew him, and for just a moment we thought about saying no.

rodltg2
01-27-2006, 04:43 PM
did he get a dui?

88 PS190
01-27-2006, 04:50 PM
I didn't have the pleasure of seeing the actual impact but one evening, we were pulling our boat out at the ramp near the mouth of this no wake river. While i was waiting w/ the trailer for the boat to come through from the lake we're on this 20 foot baja comes by, not exactly speeding but not at a no-wake idle either. You could hear them sluring and see their cases of beer as well, anyway they clear the river and punch it out into the lake, and shortly later our boat comes through and we pull it, and drive it over to our storage building.
But on the way home we cross the same river and from the bridge you can see their boat 30 feet up the ramp out drive ripped most of the way out, paramedics w/ one guy on a bodyboard.

Seems these guys thought i'd be a bright idea to shoot the river and just fly through so it'd take less time, and had a spot light. unfortunately the spot light guy was drunk and didn't keep the light where they needed to go and the very drunk driver hit the boat ramp, a good 30 feet away from the mouth of the river.

Trashed the boat, messed up one of the guys, and must have gotten a few of them a good night in jail. Boats, w/ Darkness, speed, and alky are trouble.

skitilldark
01-27-2006, 04:51 PM
did he get a dui?

Actually, he's the luckiest person I've ever met. No injuries, not even a cut. No dui(the cops were lauhging too hard). and he didn't even screw the boat up. We got out there in the AM and untangled the wite from the transom and even the bot was fine(other than a few scratches on the hull).

ttu
01-27-2006, 05:02 PM
We were fueling up at a marinat at Table Rock this last 4th of July. There was guy on the opposite side of the marina also filling up his new wave runner. After he filled it up he kept hitting the start button but it would not start. Well instead of letting it set he pushed the start button one more time and needless to save something sparked and blew the waverunner apart while he was still on it. He got blown off and broke some limbs and so forth and was life flighted from the lake.

One heck of a lawsuit is going on from what I heard when we were up there again labor day.

rodltg2
01-27-2006, 05:06 PM
Actually, he's the luckiest person I've ever met. No injuries, not even a cut. No dui(the cops were lauhging too hard). and he didn't even screw the boat up. We got out there in the AM and untangled the wite from the transom and even the bot was fine(other than a few scratches on the hull).

lucky bastard

skitilldark
01-27-2006, 05:31 PM
We were fueling up at a marinat at Table Rock this last 4th of July. There was guy on the opposite side of the marina also filling up his new wave runner. After he filled it up he kept hitting the start button but it would not start. Well instead of letting it set he pushed the start button one more time and needless to save something sparked and blew the waverunner apart while he was still on it. He got blown off and broke some limbs and so forth and was life flighted from the lake.

One heck of a lawsuit is going on from what I heard when we were up there again labor day.

Reminds me of the night some pals and I decidied to take the party barge up the river. the guy that owns it, his idea of winterizing is to hit the lift button and pull it out of the water for the season, so we never really expect it to crank anyway. But we sat there trying to get that stupid thing to start for about 40 minutes(beer was also a little to blame)and couldn't. All you could smell was gasolene from the poor fuel soaked engine. We just knew it would blow up at any minute. After almost an hour of this(and an emergency battery charger) someone asked"what's that?". We looked down, and laying on the deck was the female end of the emergency kill switch.

erkoehler
01-29-2006, 12:44 PM
Man, I have to get to more public waterways on the weekends. I don't have any stories this good.

Leroy
01-29-2006, 01:42 PM
Should be no lawsuits for stupid people.

agua4fun
01-29-2006, 06:26 PM
a few years back, an overloaded pontoon boat (25 people+) was cruising FAST past our place. a large boat had just passed, and when the pontoon got to the wake, the bow dug right in and stood the whole pontoon boat straight up (engine was 10' out of the water) everyone fell off except the driver. the boat came back down and it took off right through all of the people who had just fallen in. the driver didnt get to the throttle in time. no one was hurt. It would have made a great picture with the boat vertical.

Foiler
01-29-2006, 11:00 PM
Your story reminded me of this picture..seems the only one showing concern is the guy in the back looking at the motor.

It's a little hard to see because I had to shrink it down to get it to load.

lakes Rick
01-30-2006, 11:01 AM
Towing my buddy skiing behind my old TriStar.. We were on a lake that is kinda marshy ( Fern Ridge reservoir) and found some smooth water over at one "edge" kinda close to the weeds.. Yeah you guessed it. Cruising along pulling my bud and the boat starts to bog down. I immediatly pulled back the throttle, and my friend, in ski, sunk to the bottom all of about 3.5 feet deep.. The prop and shaft had become entangled with grass and weeds so much that it had actually stopped the prop shaft from spinning.. PUshed her out into deeper water, dove under the boat, and removed all the grass.. Started her up and away we went.....