PDA

View Full Version : Transmission clicking noise? Is this common?

bmxqt
01-26-2006, 03:50 PM
I purchased a 2000 X star (V-Drive Transmission) last summer and shortly after I bought it, I started hearing a noise. The noise occurs when shifting into reverse and when engaging the gear just above idle. It is a grinding/clicking sound. At one point it was louder, so we added transmission fluid, and it started sounding better. I had it looked at and they did not seem to find anything.

I was also on a friends 1999 Mari Star this summer and his made the exact same noise, also a V-drive.

Has anyone else experienced this sound or does anyone have any idea what it could be? The previous owner claims he never heard a noise...and I have no idea what it is...Thanks!

ksmaristar91
01-26-2006, 04:06 PM
I had a 99 Xstar and the Vdrive was noisy, i asked the dealer about it and they suggested a straight weight oil, i never did this, just lived with it being noisy. Might ask a dealer, that is what mine suggested, said most were noisy in 99,2000,2001.

rodltg2
01-26-2006, 04:44 PM
are you sure the sound your hearing is not the normal reverse sound.?

88 PS190
01-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Change the oil, look for water, look for bits of metal etc. To make sure there aren't big problems.

You could also check your damper plate, that's probably a huge pain on a V drive, but you could look to see if there is an inspection cover on the bell housing, if so a little mirror, and pull the cover if there are any bits of broken metal hanging around get it replaced immediately.

bigmac
01-26-2006, 08:04 PM
I don't know if this applies or not, but ZF Hurth, who makes the V-drives used on the 2004 boats (like mine - don't know about yours) switched their recommendations for their recommended transmission oil from using Dexron III to using 15W40 (same as recommended engine oil). Reportedly, the reason they changed that recommendation was only because people were complaining of some transmission noise at idle, and when shifting from idle.

bmxqt
01-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Big Mac...how do I find out the maker of the v-drive? How did you hear their recommendations changed? I would like to explore this more and see if there was an official change on mine also...I told my dad (a mechanic) what was posted about the problem and he agreed that the change from transmission fluid to oil may solve the problem...

bmxqt
01-26-2006, 08:40 PM
RODLTG2- I am pretty sure it is not normal. Several of my friends own boats as well and when they heard it they immediately thought it was odd. The only people who thought it was normal was the Mastercraft owners! :o) (I'm in Sac...probably have seen you out before!!!)

bigmac
01-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Big Mac...how do I find out the maker of the v-drive? How did you hear their recommendations changed? I would like to explore this more and see if there was an official change on mine also...I told my dad (a mechanic) what was posted about the problem and he agreed that the change from transmission fluid to oil may solve the problem...At the end of this season I was going to change my tranny oil. The Hurth tranny manual called for Dexron/Mercon, the MasterCraft owner's manual called for 15W40 (same as engine oil). My dealer service manager said ATF. When I pumped the oil out of my tranny, it was 15W40, so my dealer called Hurth and they said you can use either, but not mix them. So I refilled with 15W40. My transmission is very quiet, engages smoothly.

The 2004 Maristars use a Hurth ZF63 IV-1.6 transmission. MasterCraft has also used a Walters V-drive in the past, but I don't know when they switched. The Walters V-drive used SAE 30 engine oil.

On the Hurth trannies, there is an identification plate on the bow end of the transmission. I can see it on mine if I crane my neck and look down through the rear-seat with cushion off and cooler out. It will say "ZF Hurth Marine" on it and have a model number on it. Once you know what transmission it is, you (or your MasterCraft dealer) can call the company and find out. I'm not sure I'd just assume either will work, since I would think that it would be important to make sure the pump that pumps the oil through the transmission cooler is capable of pumping 15W40 instead of ATF, which has a lower viscosity.

88 PS190
01-26-2006, 09:14 PM
Oh my i'm glad i don't need to work on a V-drive.

dchatagnon
03-19-2006, 03:05 PM
I have a noise on my velvet 1:1 at idle also. When engaging to gear or shifting to reverse, it makes sometime a grriding noise. After 30 sec., the noise has disappeared a bit. This winter i pulled my trans and sent it for a complete rebuilt. I have also changed the dampler plate. Fluid level is OK. Last season, I think I did not have that noise... Is this normal?

88 PS190
03-20-2006, 06:04 PM
we have strange noises coming from our boat as well... but i wouldn't call it a grind, our sounds like vibration through the hull, so this spring before we launch its getting a new damper plate, new bushings for the strut, realigned and a new front seal on the tranny...

hopefully that's all it will need.