PDA

View Full Version : Adding a Prop Guard

1984StarsandStripes
01-26-2006, 10:25 AM
While on the topic of trailer upgrades, I just purchased my first competition ski boat (Mastercraft of course) it is a 1984 Stars and Stripes and is in really nice condition although it does have 1094 hours. The boat came with the factory trailer only problem is it doesn't have the prop guard cage on the trailer. I would love to add one to my trailer for obvious reasons. I own all the tools to carry out the project only thing is I need the clearance dimensions and maybe a pic of one on a trailer so to firm up my design. I know everyone has their boats under wraps for the colder months in the North Country. Maybe someone down South could help me out. If someone could help me get the clearances and dimensions of the material used I would appreciate it very much!!! Thanks

P.S. This is only my first Thread I have started so go easy on me maybe show me some pointers would be great. :D

milkmania
01-26-2006, 10:32 AM
first things first......

welcome to the boardhttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/cheering.gif

someone will be along shortly to answer you questions;)

1984StarsandStripes
01-26-2006, 10:37 AM
Thanks Milkmania! I have been reading the site for about a week and I figured I would join up and share some wisdom and recieve some in return. It also looks like you guys love to have some fun!!! I will be adding some pics of my new pull and I was also thinking of scanning the owner manual for you guys! Let me know how I can help.

milkmania
01-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks Milkmania! I have been reading the site for about a week and I figured I would join up and share some wisdom and recieve some in return. It also looks like you guys love to have some fun!!! I will be adding some pics of my new pull and I was also thinking of scanning the owner manual for you guys! Let me know how I can help.

that would be great!
you might chech with TMCadmin and see how to get it posted here:
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/local_links.php?action=links&catid=2

I did find a 1984 Powerslot article here:
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/local_links.php?action=jump&id=21

it doesn't appear to be a 1984 manual in there, and I'm sure someone could use the help

Cloaked
01-26-2006, 11:12 AM
While on the topic of trailer upgrades, I just purchased my first competition ski boat (Mastercraft of course) it is a 1984 Stars and Stripes and is in really nice condition although it does have 1094 hours. The boat came with the factory trailer only problem is it doesn't have the prop guard cage on the trailer. I would love to add one to my trailer for obvious reasons. I own all the tools to carry out the project only thing is I need the clearance dimensions and maybe a pic of one on a trailer so to firm up my design. I know everyone has their boats under wraps for the colder months in the North Country. Maybe someone down South could help me out. If someone could help me get the clearances and dimensions of the material used I would appreciate it very much!!! Thanks

P.S. This is only my first Thread I have started so go easy on me maybe show me some pointers would be great. :D Welcome aboard. There are several threads here about the prop guard. Allow the search feature to be your friend.

stump
01-26-2006, 11:33 AM
At the risk of a threadjack, where did you find your boat? Also, welcome to the nuthouse!

1984StarsandStripes
01-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Stump, My aunt had the boat for two months at the end of the summer some things came up and she no longer could keep it. :D YEA for me! The guy before her had to get rid of it becuase he was moving to China and it was his baby, he took great care of it and had everything fixed professionally (good or bad, depends on how you look at it in my opinion). I am in Howell, Michigan and she lives about a half an hour south of me.

whitedog
01-26-2006, 12:13 PM

1984StarsandStripes
01-26-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks Whitedog!

BriEOD
01-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Welcome aboard!!

AR Footer
01-26-2006, 12:26 PM
I am looking to put one on my 85 trailer and received the following information. I hope this link and information will help.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=43824#post43824 has pictures and information that you are looking for.

I asked about what metal was used and received the following response:

I used 2"x1"X3/16" channel 13' long.

I also received this information as well:

I was just thinking of the prop guard and thought i'd add alittle more info. The bracket that runs to the front of the boat we (I had a welder from work helping me) couldn't get it to fit into the trailers 2x3" channel cross member so i've bolted it to the front side of the channel. Also to get the angle on the front bracket where it bolts to the 2x3 channel. He rolled the 1x2 channel around an 8 or 10" pipe. I can't quite remember which it was. Then we clamped this bracket first to the 2x3 channel and then cut it to the length that we needed to meet the prop guard at the back. We made these brackets line up straight but I think it would have been easier to line up if we had let them go alittle wider at the back compared to the front. Hope this helps and like I said in my post you will have to tweak the measurements alittle bit to get it to fit.

All of the information that I have came from Betula7 on this board so any questions can be relayed there.

By the way, Welcome to Team Talk.

1984StarsandStripes
01-26-2006, 01:28 PM
AR Footer, Thanks for the help! I really think that this will improve the safety when towing.
:guitar:

east tx skier
01-26-2006, 01:33 PM
Welcome. As far as the manual goes, I think it'd be great if you scanned it. Whether they'll put it in the DL section is up to TTAdmin. The ones that are in there now were scanned by BrianM and myself and mailed to the former TTAdmin. PM the current TTAdmin and see if he'd be willing to upload it for you.

As for clearance (presumably b/w the prop guard and the prop, all I can tell you from having the one on my boat replaced is "not much." On my boat, the clearance was a fraction of an inch. Wish I could remember precisely.

AR Footer
01-26-2006, 06:21 PM
AR Footer, Thanks for the help! I really think that this will improve the safety when towing.
:guitar:

After having to have a prop worked on after I dragged it on the pavement this summer I couldn't agree more. I can build the prop guard for less money than it cost me to repair the prop.

I am going to get my brother-in-law started on mine in the next month so I will be ready when the first hint of spring/summer gets here.

jayderwin1
01-26-2006, 06:26 PM
here is a pic of my prop gaurd

jayderwin1
01-26-2006, 06:30 PM
Mastercraft should have made that a standard feature, just like they should have made backing plates for the swim platform a standard feature, instead of lag bolts. i gues you live and learn.

Cloaked
01-26-2006, 06:43 PM
Nice looking machine.

JEREMY79
01-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Awful low to the ground, cheaper than a prop I guess though :rolleyes:

dog paw
01-26-2006, 08:25 PM
Nice S+S! I can relate to that one :D I have plowed some driveway gravel with the prop but somehow in 20 some years it has never made contact with pavement.

1984StarsandStripes
01-26-2006, 10:30 PM
Thanks for such a helping hand with the pic Jay, that is what I was thinking of doing with mine. Using the 1" by 3" tubing to build it.

Thanks Sporty!

Dog Paw right back at ya!

1984StarsandStripes
01-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Are you talking about the need for backing plates where the swim platform brackets attach to the hull? If so what have people done in the past to beef this area up? I am new to comp ski boats but not to boats by any means (grew up on the Detroit river skiing behind Dad and Grandpa's fishing boat). I just want to get as many of these winter projects done as I can since I just got the boat and want to enjoy it this summer as much as possible!:D I have a great shop to work with heat so no problem there!! First project is the teak and then the prop guard. (only due to money:( not priority). Plus I do have my second child on the way at the end of Feb, but it is a good excuse to get out of the house!!;) If you guys have any other ideas or areas to check into please help me out!! Not that you haven't already!!!

jbfootin
01-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Has anyone added rollers to the bottom of the prop guard, like I see on the new ones? Do the rollers really do anything or help much? Would it be worth while to do? They look like they would help. My prop guard hits on the driveway apron everytime I back in the drive. It has chipped the sidewalk and I wonder if rollers on the bottom would help and if anyone has made them themselves.

whitedog
01-27-2006, 01:03 PM

TMCNo1
01-27-2006, 01:04 PM
1984StarsandStripes, Some info that may help, I have a '89PS190 on the channel style trailer frame, the distance between the boat bottom at the rudder down to the top of the prop guard is 15", don't let this distance to be less than the 15". MC once sold the optional prop guards, 2"x1" channel 3 piece units in the late 80's as a retro fit kit on the mid to early 80's and late 70's trailers. Another tip, be sure that the drop or rise in your ball mount drawbar gives you a distance if 18" + or - 1/2" when measured from a flat surface to the top of the ball w/o the trailer on the ball. Your trailer will slope downhill somewhat but the boat rub rail will be level in relationship to the ground when attached to the vehicle. This setup should give you right at 6" between the bottom of the prop guard and the ground with this style trailer. See if you can find someone who has a pre-'91 trailer with a propguard and get your dimensions and the way its set up off it. Hope i've been some help..........later

jayderwin1
01-27-2006, 02:05 PM
84 S&S the brackets that mount to the hull of the boat are just held in by 3" lag bolts. i found this out the hard way last summer, i went to jump in the water and the passenger side bracket ripped out of the hull. i pulled one of the bolts out and looked at it and it was just a lag bolt. so i went home and pulled out the gas tank and cut two 2" rectangles out of the floor of the boat then drilled two wholes for each bracket, put a aluminum plate in and refiberglassed the rectangles i cut out so water would not get back in the floor of the boat. if you plan on doing this i can talk you through it, its not to hard.

amber 6
01-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Welcome to the boards would love the manual scanned for everyone to share if you get a chance. My 83 stars and stripes is very similar except mine is in Ireland. I wish I had known about this board during my rebuild last year and I would have changed the bolts for the swim platform!

east tx skier
01-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Has anyone added rollers to the bottom of the prop guard, like I see on the new ones? Do the rollers really do anything or help much? Would it be worth while to do? They look like they would help. My prop guard hits on the driveway apron everytime I back in the drive. It has chipped the sidewalk and I wonder if rollers on the bottom would help and if anyone has made them themselves.

Yes. Rollers are from Paktron (http://www.pakindustries.com/micro_marine.html) and are made for boat trailers. However, they are steel and will take out your driveway (i'd tell you about the 2" lift on my trailer, but that's another thread). Poly wheels would be ideal, but I haven't found any that look like these and these have the lowest profile I could find.

When I had my prop guard redone, I went with solid steel for the bottom portion as opposed to what was on there before. Here's the guard with just the primer.

/went with the solid steel because the original cross pieces were rinky dink and I foresaw the eventuality my dragging the trailer over something taller than my drag wheels. When it happened and my cross piece came out without a scratch on it and there was a chunk missing off the culvert I'd squashed, I knew I'd made the right decision.

jayderwin1
01-27-2006, 05:36 PM
do you have 2"x6" bunks?

east tx skier
01-27-2006, 06:11 PM
2x6x12 if I remember correclty (2 layers of carpet now).

jayderwin1
01-27-2006, 07:13 PM
did you plane down one side of those bunks? why the two layers?