PDA

View Full Version : Got rearended in my Jeep...

Hoff1
01-26-2006, 08:11 AM
Got rearended the other morning on my way to work :mad: in my Grand Cherokee. Smashed the bumped, tailgate and the force of the impact slightly crumpled part of the quarter panel. Also, noticed 2 slight crinkles in the roofline that is connected to the quarter panel above the pillar that separates the doors. Neither door on the passenger side will hardly open due to everything being slightly compressed and out of square. I would have to believe that those 2 crinkles indicate a bent unibody.

Anybody have a clue as to if this can be straightened?

At least it goes on the other guy's insurance.

Dan K
01-26-2006, 09:12 AM
Hoff,
Glad to hear you are OK. Having had an accident this week as well I feel for you. I would say that if the roof line is crinkled you have some structural problems in the unibody.

ttu
01-26-2006, 09:15 AM
Hoff, being a former insurance adjuster and now agent, it can be repaired. what they will do is put it on a frame machine and measure it out correctly and everything will pull out fine.

Good luck and glad you were not injured.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-26-2006, 09:32 AM
Oh, it can be fixed alright. Just hope you never get hit AGAIN in the same spot, it will be much worse next time around. Once they get crinkled, it's alot easier to crinkle the second time.

Hoff1
01-27-2006, 07:42 AM
Damage estimate was $5600. Man, I'm in the wrong business.

Mag_Red
01-27-2006, 08:22 AM
Damage estimate was $5600. Man, I'm in the wrong business.Let Jeremy fix it........I'm sure he could do it for 1/2 the $$$$ ;)

dwvktm450
01-27-2006, 09:19 AM
I am in the body business, and not some backyard garage either.

Yes you probably have unibody damage. It is very common on the Jeeps, especially if you have a trailer hitch. The rails buckle right behind the hitch.

If the shop fixes the unibody properly you should have no problems or worry about another accident. There is a fine line to when a rail can be fixed, and when you need to section in a new piece to replace the damaged section. When the unibody is fixed all of your doors gaps should be good and the doors will shut properly.

If the car has all of the things you have mentioned, 5600 is not a big deal at all. If they let you see the net income of the 5600, and all of the insurance headaches it takes to get there sometimes, you may change your mind about being in the wrong business.

If you have any other questions feel free to contact me.

Hoff1
01-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Can file a law suit, the other guys vehicle scratched my MasterCraft sticker! How about punitive damages or emotional distress.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-27-2006, 09:53 AM
Can file a law suit, the other guys vehicle scratched my MasterCraft sticker! How about punitive damages or emotional distress.
I would think someone would try.......;)

Nuts4Water
01-27-2006, 10:20 AM
I agree with a previous post. It is very common for Jeeps to react the way that your did in this accident. Has the Jeep been disassembled yet? If not I would bet that there will be some hidden damage. Also pay close attention to your driver's seat. It is also common for the the seat frame and the track to bend too. One more thing,make sure that the body shop you are using provides a LIFETIME WARRANTY on their work. Good Luck

Hoff1
01-27-2006, 11:14 AM
The damage was pretty much limited to the outside of the vehicle except for the unibody being slighty bent. The tailgate still opens without any binding, so it wasn't too hard of an impact. The taillight was a primary impact, and it is only cracked. WIll be a little hidden damage, but I'm anal on repairs and customer service. I'm not a good customer to deal with if you are planning on doing something wrong to me.

Nuts4Water
01-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Being in the Body Shop business the biggest key to success for both parties is make sure everyones expectations are discussed on the front end. Just be up front and explain your situation and what you expect. If the shop appreciate your up front expectations and feels confident that they can provide you the best service you should have no problems. If you get some kind of hesitation I might look for another shop.

rodltg2
01-27-2006, 03:07 PM
:D sounds totaled to me, get a new one.