PDA

View Full Version : New Sport?

sand2snow22
01-25-2006, 02:45 PM
Ran across this at Kinko's today, I noticed this picture on a computer and of course being noisy I had to inquire. Looks like kiteboarding meets wakeboarding........Due out this summer. Hopefully they won't be too expensive....

Tom023
01-25-2006, 02:51 PM
Although it looks interesting, I'm not sure I understand it. What does the kite do, give you added lift on jumps or are you up in the air more like parasailing? How do you do inverts?

roddydog
01-25-2006, 02:51 PM
I'd bet with a new board etc, the sail and all extras it'd be a Grand at least. Looks fun though.

sand2snow22
01-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Although it looks interesting, I'm not sure I understand it. What does the kite do, give you added lift on jumps or are you up in the air more like parasailing? How do you do inverts?

They claim more loft, hangtime, ultrasmooth landings and a steerable tow handle. I had the same question about inverts?

AirJunky
01-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Call Wiley's and ask about it. Guys on Samammish have been doing it for 3 or 4 years. Basically it's a way to get into kiteboarding if you live in an area that doesn't see a lot of wind. It's a bear to get up, no doubt.

ski_king
01-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Looks like fun, but I agree that starts may be tough. Also, I am not sure about the handle always being up abovve your head. At least with Kiteboarding you can hold the handle somewhat like a standard ski rope.

AirJunky
01-25-2006, 03:50 PM
Actually, they use a Kiteboarding control bar & a harness..... just use one line instead of 2 or 4. So the rider can hook his bar in his harness & go for a huge flight when the boat gains some speed.

rodltg2
01-25-2006, 03:57 PM
what happens if you catch some huge air , a stong breeze picks up and you accidently lose the handle. ? do you end up on the other side of the lake or worse on shore ?

rodltg2
01-25-2006, 04:00 PM
nevermind, looked at the pic again , looks like the handle and the kite are attached. at first i thought the rider was attached to the kite and held on to a regualar handle.

sand2snow22
01-26-2006, 12:04 PM
The general manager had difficulty posting and wanted me to pass this along:

1) It is not difficult at all to launch the kite - as easy as getting up behind a regular tower. No issue.

2) Getting up and steering the kite is super easy; turn the handle and the kite goes that direction.

3) There is not a harness with this system (we may offer this later).

4) It's a blast to fly the kite and control the lift on the line by steering it skyward.

5) It's not just a way to experience "kiteboarding when there is now wind," but rather, it is a whole new way to ride a wake board, water ski, etc. While it looks a lot like kiteboarding, and does have some things in common with it, the sensation is much closer to that of riding in a cable park (with the added fun of controlling ultimate lift through steering) vs. regular kite boarding.

6) The air you get, when the boat is driven at regular wake board speeds, is about 20-30% higher than normal; however, the distance you can jump is nearly tripled. This allows for the increased hangtime and soft landings.

7) Inverts are possible when the rider pops a big jump and the kite peaks out in its vertical climb (causing brief slack in the line).

8) Also, it was interesting to hear that some guys up on on Lake Samammish have been doing this. There are also some folks in Southern Oregon that have been doing this, however, these guys are using regular kiteboarding kites, which are VERY hard to launch behind a boat and get up under. Plus, the lines get all mangled. With the WakeKite, there are pontoons on the bottom of the kite that allow it to easily taxi behind the boat, it lifts off and lands easily, plus, the kite flys auto-stable (took two full years to nail auto-stability). There are also elements built into the system to manage the lines.

jayocheskey
01-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Would it be possible to get tangled in the kite rope? That would not be too much fun.

sand2snow22
01-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Would it be possible to get tangled in the kite rope? That would not be too much fun.

Maybe, that would be interesting. I know they have a quick release on the rope where it attaches to the tower. Maybe that is the reason for it?