PDA

View Full Version : this amazes me!

milkmania
01-25-2006, 12:34 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-Damage-Needs-repair-Damaged-Repairable_W0QQitemZ4607521685QQcategoryZ6155QQrdZ 1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

the airbags were not deployed:eek:

peason
01-25-2006, 01:18 PM
The bid price amazes me, why spend that much to buy a wreck, when you can deal on a good used or buy new.

Dan K
01-25-2006, 01:18 PM
It may have been parked when hit.

Air bags went off on me the other day when I broadsided a person running a light in front of me. Those things are loud and smokey. I walked away without a scratch.

milkmania
01-25-2006, 01:23 PM
The bid price amazes me, why spend that much to buy a wreck, when you can deal on a good used or buy new.

I smell a fish....

the only bidder has bid 9 times, and it's also his first auction:rolleyes:

BriEOD
01-25-2006, 02:09 PM
I wonder how much you would have to put into it?

Dan, glad to hear you are OK. Becareful out there!

Also, this brings up a good point. My mom does insurance claims for USAA (she's retiring this year). But, she is always critical of SUVs because sometime they roll. She drives a litte Honda Accord and says they are safer. I told her the other day we could get up to 45mph and let my Expedition hit her Accord and see what happens. You cannot cheat Newton's the laws of Physics.

JEREMY79
01-25-2006, 02:36 PM
It is not that hard of a hit. have seen worse bring more money. On Chevys the airbag sensor is on the framrail behind the bumper. That bumper is not really hit so the sensor never got jarred. Sucks for high hits like that.

Looks like about a $3,000-$4,000 job. Just from quick looks.

AirJunky
01-25-2006, 02:59 PM
I smell a fish....

the only bidder has bid 9 times, and it's also his first auction:rolleyes:
That just means the bidder put in a proxy bid & it's been bid against 8 times, none of which have outbid the original proxy yet.

BrianM
01-25-2006, 02:59 PM
It is not that hard of a hit. have seen worse bring more money. On Chevys the airbag sensor is on the framrail behind the bumper. That bumper is not really hit so the sensor never got jarred. Sucks for high hits like that.

Looks like about a $3,000-$4,000 job. Just from quick looks.

I know you are in the business and all but that has to be way more damage than $3-4k. My guess would be 4 times that at best.

My wifes car got hit last year. Minimal boday damage, rear suspension damage but no uni-body frame damage. Side curtain bag deployed. That was $6,800 when all was said and done. See pic below.

Tom023
01-25-2006, 03:40 PM
Jeremy was quoting his cost, not your retail price :D

Andyg
01-25-2006, 04:11 PM
This was my truck about a month ago and that was $8000.

Dan K
01-25-2006, 04:17 PM
Dan, glad to hear you are OK. Becareful out there!

You cannot cheat Newton's the laws of Physics.

BriEOD, It was my H3 against a Ford 500. Definately some mass at work there. Neither won, I would call it a draw.

ski_king
01-25-2006, 04:20 PM
BriEOD, It was my H3 against a Ford 500. Definately some mass at work there. Neither won, I would call it a draw.
Pictures please

BriEOD
01-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Ditto on what Denny said.

Again, the point that I was attemping to make is I feel much better with my 16month old in my F-150 or Expedition than in a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. I'll take those odds.

jayocheskey
01-25-2006, 04:56 PM
That just means the bidder put in a proxy bid & it's been bid against 8 times, none of which have outbid the original proxy yet.

WRONG!!! xxvapor is the only one who has bid on this vehicle. No other user has placed a bid - Ebay keeps track of each bid placed and lists them.

xxvapor place all those bids within a 20 minute time frame - the bidder may have been attempting to reach the Reserve price. In this case, the reserve price was quite possibly $15,000, xxvapor's last bid. The auction now says - Reserve Met.

Dan K
01-25-2006, 04:56 PM
Sorry, no pics available. Other things to worry about at the scene and now my car is gone to the techs for analyis and I am driving something new. Onstar was there for me just like the commercials say, they stayed on the line even when I exited the vehicle to check on pedestrians and the other driver, they did not hang up until police were on the scene.

AirJunky
01-25-2006, 04:59 PM
WRONG!!! xxvapor is the only one who has bid on this vehicle. No other user has placed a bid - Ebay keeps track of each bid placed and lists them.

xxvapor place all those bids within a 20 minute time frame - the bidder may have been attempting to reach the Reserve price. In this case, the reserve price was quite possibly $15,000, xxvapor's last bid. The auction now says - Reserve Met.
Um, no. Not quite. If the bid was bead by the original proxy, the 2nd bid won't even show up. But you can believe what you want. I use proxy all the time & see it happen.

jayocheskey
01-25-2006, 05:00 PM
I had similar damage to my '97 Chevy pick-up a few years back. The frame was not bent but I had to replace hood, two quarter panels and the front bumper along with the air-bag system. Total cost was $8,500. The air-bag system alone was close to $2,000. Whoever ends up with this vehicle will save a lot of money by not having to replace the air-bag system.

Andyg
01-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Ditto on what Denny said.

Again, the point that I was attemping to make is I feel much better with my 16month old in my F-150 or Expedition than in a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. I'll take those odds.

I would have to agree with you on that. My truck was hit by compact pickup doing 50MPH and my truck was parked. I would say it handled it pretty well. The compact pickup was pinned under my truck and had to be pulled out from under it with a wrecker.

I had a 2001 F150 that I got rear ended in by a mini van doing 45mph and I was stopped. It totaled the truck but both my wife and I walked away with a little whiplash.

Here is a picture of the 2001. You can see what is left of the front end of the mini van that hit me by looking through the windshield of my truck in the top picture.

Andyg
01-25-2006, 06:32 PM
And here is what happened to the frame of that 2001 truck and why it got totaled. Those large steel frame members are not supposed to have those nice 45 degree bends in them.

BrianM
01-25-2006, 06:41 PM
And here is what happened to the frame of that 2001 truck and why it got totaled. Those large steel frame members are not supposed to have those nice 45 degree bends in them.

That is definately some frame damage.

JEREMY79
01-25-2006, 08:56 PM
I know you are in the business and all but that has to be way more damage than $3-4k. My guess would be 4 times that at best.

My wifes car got hit last year. Minimal boday damage, rear suspension damage but no uni-body frame damage. Side curtain bag deployed. That was $6,800 when all was said and done. See pic below.

I hate to be the one that says this but.."damn, they saw you coming. That is at best a 2,500 hit around here.

BrianM
01-25-2006, 11:11 PM
I hate to be the one that says this but.."damn, they saw you coming. That is at best a 2,500 hit around here.

Maybe around there but not here. When I first saw it my guess was $5k but it ended up going higher than that . The big expenses were the airbags and air bag modual. The side curtain bag and the control modual were almost $2k by themselves. Keep in mind the car was only nine months old and a new model. Rear quarter was replaced not fixed. Took 7 weeks to complete as Subaru did not have all of the spare parts required since aparently they had not been producing any spare parts just what was needed for production. I would have paid more and waited longer. It went to the shop that has the best reputation in town for paint and body work and it looks perfect.

Whatever the insurance company paid for it.

JEREMY79
01-26-2006, 07:00 AM
Whatever the insurance company paid for it.

Thats what its for my friend. Glad you got it fixed and no-one was hurt