PDA

View Full Version : Any Houseboating Ideas?

Vern Swieringa
01-25-2006, 10:40 AM
A bunch of friends are thinking about going on a houseboat vacation this summer. Has anybody from Team Mastercraft done this? What's a good spot? :cool:

Stritt
01-25-2006, 11:14 AM
Yes, Dale Hollow and Lake Cumberland in Ketucky. Only word of advice....make sure all parties know each other and feel comfortable with each other.....

BriEOD
01-25-2006, 11:42 AM
:twocents: Make sure you don't have any little kids either. We thought hard about doing on this past summer but rented a lake house instead. Their was a horror story on here sometime ago about a toddler who woke up, went out the door, fell overboard and drown in the middle of the night. My personal opinion is if you have kids that can't swim either leave them at home or get a lake house.

milkmania
01-25-2006, 11:57 AM
:twocents: Make sure you don't have any little kids either. We thought hard about doing on this past summer but rented a lake house instead. Their was a horror story on here sometime ago about a toddler who woke up, went out the door, fell overboard and drown in the middle of the night. My personal opinion is if you have kids that can't swim either leave them at home or get a lake house.

here ya go:(

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=4700&highlight=houseboat

Vern Swieringa
01-25-2006, 12:17 PM
No Kids! Mine are both nearly grown adults. Son is a senior in HS and daughter is freshman in college. I'm curious why the advice to make sure you know your boating partners well. We have known each other for 8+ years and love getting together to play games during these cold winter months. Half of us go on golf outings together in the fall. Just curious if there was anything more behind the advice?

rick s.
01-25-2006, 12:49 PM
houseboats run the range from floating travel trailer (trash) to pretty nice boats. They are not inexpensive. My choice would be Lake Shasta or Lake Powell, but I'm in California, not Michigan.

bfinley
01-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Anyone ever try a houseboat on the Mississippi??

BriEOD
01-25-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm curious why the advice to make sure you know your boating partners well.
While I was not the one who made the point, I believe what Mr. 35th was trying to illustrate is that being on a House Boat for a few days with a large group of people you are not extremely familiar with can be stressful. If you get sick of someone it is not like you can leave or go some place else. If you are clean freak and the others are messy marvins you might go crazy. Just make sure you know what you are getting into.

JEREMY79
01-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Dale Hollow and Lake Cumberland are both very nice. I personlly prefer DH.

Being on a boat, even with someone you like, for an extended period of time is a pain in the a_ _. THat being said we do this 2-4 times a year depending on weather and people and have a great time.

P-hat_in_Cincy
01-25-2006, 01:55 PM
We houseboat every year. We used to go to Cumberland (KY), but the last 2 years (and this year) we'll go to Norris Lake (TN) and go out of www.pennington33bridgemarina.com . They have been awesome.
I agree with the above comments about making sure there is good chemistry w/i the crew. Kids are not an option for us. We could not relax thinking one may go overboard, and the kids would complain about wearing lifejackets 24/7. We make this trip an "adults only" trip! :toast:
Anyway, a pic from 2005 below and then I'll follow with one from 2003.

P-hat_in_Cincy
01-25-2006, 01:56 PM
Here's the picture from 2003...

P-hat_in_Cincy
01-25-2006, 02:25 PM
OK...one from 2004, when we switched to Norris...

roddydog
01-25-2006, 03:14 PM
That boat looks like a castle!!!
I agree with the 'make sure you know who you're with',
you are not just getting together for an evening of games and beer, you'll be together almost the whole time for a week or however long you book for. One little thing near the start can make it tense for the whole trip.
Other than that HAVE FUN!!!
Oh yeah.... if you feel like makin the trip the Trent-Severn waterway here in Ontario is amazing (and Long). :wavey:

Foiler
01-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Both Lake Cuberland and Dale Hollow are great Lakes, we've been going down there since 1988. We pefer Dale Hollow, it's a little cleaner and less crowded...mainly because it's less crowded. Cumberland is closer if you're coming from the North.

We have figured out not to try to please everyone. If our family wants to do something and the other families don't that's ok.

You'll be miserable if you try to please everyone. The people we share the boat with also understand the freedom to do their own thing if they want and everyone stays happy. Last year everyone wanted to go to the Dam (30min by boat) see ya I'll save my gas for skiing.

My neighbor went to DH with a family that was affraid of the water and didn't want to leave the Houseboat so he stayed with them most of the week. He finally figured it out the last day but it was a little too late.

ski_king
01-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Rent Mags boat, but take a pump with you.

rodltg2
01-25-2006, 07:35 PM
OK...one from 2004, when we switched to Norris...
those are some nice houseboats

P-hat_in_Cincy
01-25-2006, 08:21 PM
those are some nice houseboats

Yeah...they are really nice. Go check out some pictures at http://www.pennington33bridgemarina.com/2005_houseboats.htm

Check this quote out from their site..."Roof-top bar with keg cooler. Kegs are available at the Marina-call for details!"

Cheers! :toast:

baedriver
01-25-2006, 08:34 PM
We did house boat trips every year for about 5yrs at bullshoals.(rented the boats from pontiac cove and it was great time. This year we are going to do cabins.

JEREMY79
01-25-2006, 08:47 PM
Check out the boats at Sunset Marina, at Dale Hollow

Stritt
01-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Vern,

The other post referring to knowing your group, was my point. Call it a been there done that.......then learned. All points made were points we experienced the first time around. Messy vs Clean...Early vs late bed......stay or leave.....everything as a group or ok to venture out on their own........One point I didn't see, make a schedule for meals, we found alternating b-fast/dinner per families worked best...for the record....Dale Hollow is the spot! Cumberland is bigger and more commercial......Good Luck! If you have the right group of people it is a BLAST.

JEREMY79
01-25-2006, 09:36 PM
What we do is great (if you can) take one boat for each family. THat way the stay/leave thing is covered. Make a menu for the week, it cuts down on squabbles over meals. Take lots of drinks, and have fun

P-hat_in_Cincy
01-25-2006, 10:07 PM
We usually have 11-13 people. I've realized it's all the preparation leading up to the trip that gives the best opportunity for everything to go smoothly. I've taken the planning thing to a pretty anal level (I have multiple spreadsheets to prove it), but it helps everyone know their responsibilities.

I guess the thread diverted a little, so I'll get it back on track.

I have heard Dale Hollow is great, but I've never been. We have a particular cove on Cumberland we always enjoyed the most, but the marina/houseboat place jacked their prices. So, we go to the less populated end of Norris Lake to get away from all those "Ohio Navy" types (note my locale). We've always had prestine water conditions b/c we go during the week when most are working and/or in school.

xbrdr1
01-26-2006, 08:07 AM
Killer pics HAT.
:guitar:

P-hat_in_Cincy
01-26-2006, 08:16 AM
Killer pics HAT.
:guitar:

You were there for most of 'em!

They have me stoked for this year! We need to start thinking about some roadtrips!