PDA

View Full Version : dock building help

mplv
01-24-2006, 05:54 PM
im going to build about a 25 foot dock this week, is there anywhere online for a good how-to guide? if not where can i get a book?

twieder
01-24-2006, 05:56 PM
Floater or stationary? They're easy to do if ya know what ya want. I can figure up materials for ya. The easiest way to get ideas is to go to a dock manufacturers site and get ideas Metalcraft is a good one to try.

erkoehler
01-24-2006, 06:00 PM
Barnes and Noble has a book on dock building it was like 15-20 dollars.

mplv
01-24-2006, 06:20 PM
its going to be stationary, barnes and noble is a haul from here, mabey i will luck out at home depot

Footin
01-24-2006, 06:20 PM
My only advise is invite alot of friends over and buy twice as much beer as you think they will drink.

Good luck!

mattsn
01-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Go to Floe International

http://www.floeintl.com/

I have 4 sections of this dock and while expensive, are great and will last a liftime. Easy in and Easy out.

Maristar210
01-24-2006, 07:08 PM
I made "the" dock like a rock. At least that's what I called it. I used 2 x 10 outside runners with 2 x 8's on the inside flush with the bottom that will leave a recess almost perfect for a 5/4 piece of walmonized. Make sense? Hope so.... the f-in dock could have withstood a buick and never moved, ever. I also used 6 X 6's for the posts at six locations on a 20' dock with lag screws through the 2 x 8's and 2 x 10's into the posts.. PM me if you are interested I'll explain further....Good Luck and I would agree that the Floe roll in and out is nice too but $$$.

GL - Steve :friday:

jbfootin
01-25-2006, 09:25 AM
My only advise is invite alot of friends over and buy twice as much beer as you think they will drink.

Good luck!
The above is the best advice yet :smile:

east tx skier
01-25-2006, 11:39 AM
I'll throw out two tips that helped us when we built ours.

1. For getting the posts driven, get a long pipe (ours was copper) roughly 3/4" and put a spray nozzle on the end. Hook the other end to a garden hose and make sure you get some serious pressure out of the business end of it. When you're driving your posts, cram that thing down into the mud or sand to get things moving.

2. Before you put your decking on, get a whole bunch of tar paper and cover the tops of all your support structure with it. This way you won't have water pooling on your wood.

Davo
01-26-2006, 11:34 AM

Don't forget the grillables...dock building is hard work. :D

Datdude
01-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Go to Floe International

http://www.floeintl.com/

I have 4 sections of this dock and while expensive, are great and will last a liftime. Easy in and Easy out.

I second that-Floe docks are amazing

LakePirate
01-26-2006, 11:47 AM
Get a Nail Gun. It makes life easier.

Davo
01-26-2006, 12:03 PM
^No doubt...get those spiral type deck nails that mimic screws.

ski_king
01-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Spend the extra money and go with composite decking.

east tx skier
01-26-2006, 12:36 PM
I'll second the composite decking and add that I'd recommend composite decking screws over nails for the decking.

I'd also suggest hell-stout lag bolts to attach the support beams to the posts and cross members to the support beams. It was probably overkill, but on the pier, the spacing between cross supports was 12".

twieder
01-27-2006, 12:25 PM
If you're gona use posts with augers on them, one good idea is to weld caps on the top that a square cut to fit a half or 3/4 inch drive ratchet. Makes turning augers in and out ALOT easier!

atlfootr
02-18-2006, 08:24 AM
Barnes and Noble has a book on dock building it was like 15-20 dollars.Actually, it's $25 bucks + tax.
It's called "THE DOCK MANUAL" by Max Burns. ISBN: 1580170986
I only know this because, I bought it a few weeks ago.

bigmac
02-18-2006, 08:57 AM
In 25 years of living on lakes, I've come to one definite conclusion - wood sucks for dock material. Steel runs a close second (in terms of sucking). Aluminum, with composite decking is the way to go. Maintenance of those two other materials is a major PITA.

Now, I live in Minnesota so a permanent dock isn't possible, and a key component of docks that we use is its ease of annual putting in/taking out. That's another plus for aluminum, but even so, I'm so tired of painting/sandlblasting/pressure washing wood/steel docks/boat lifts over the years that I'll never have non-aluminum lake stuff again.

Lots of companies make aluminum docks. Floe wouldn't be (wasn't) my first choice, but it's not bad stuff, as an example.

jimmer2880
02-19-2006, 11:30 AM
In 25 years of living on lakes, I've come to one definite conclusion - wood sucks for dock material. Steel runs a close second (in terms of sucking). Aluminum, with composite decking is the way to go. Maintenance of those two other materials is a major PITA.

Now, I live in Minnesota so a permanent dock isn't possible, and a key component of docks that we use is its ease of annual putting in/taking out. That's another plus for aluminum, but even so, I'm so tired of painting/sandlblasting/pressure washing wood/steel docks/boat lifts over the years that I'll never have non-aluminum lake stuff again.

Lots of companies make aluminum docks. Floe wouldn't be (wasn't) my first choice, but it's not bad stuff, as an example.

While I totally agree with the durability stuff.... I would never be ablet to afford a lift doc if I built it out of Alum. Instead of dumping $5k (almost 6 years ago now), it would have doubled to at least $10k or more.

In my case though - I can get 15 years out of a wood built dock with a steel cradle for my lift. I'm currently happy with that lifespan. Perhaps in 15 years, I will be able to afford an alum/composite dock. :)

School Skier
02-19-2006, 12:33 PM
In the twenty years that we've had lake property we are on our third dock. Wood is not the way the next will be a rollo dock. Get a rollo dock or something you can manage without too much maintenance.

erkoehler
02-20-2006, 10:44 AM
If anybody needs that dock book, I found mine and can ship it out to you if needed!

jimmer2880
02-20-2006, 06:59 PM
In the twenty years that we've had lake property we are on our third dock. Wood is not the way the next will be a rollo dock. Get a rollo dock or something you can manage without too much maintenance.

Wow... The first dock I helped build (I was in 3rd grade - not sure how much "help" I was).... is now 20 couple years old & still going strong.

Are you keeping them stained well? There are many docks where I'm from that are close to 20 years old. Everybody just puts a coat of water-proofing stain on them every year or 2 and they seem to hold up.

Or - are you in a harsh environment? My old dock floated really high in the water, so the stringers rarely got wet.

erkoehler
02-20-2006, 07:48 PM
We have a suspended pier that is 20+ years old, and it is in great shape. Thompsons every few years and we are good to go....