PDA

View Full Version : Myth-Busters

Ryan
01-24-2006, 05:49 PM
So, I'm checking out the Myth-Busters site (http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/quiz/sports/sports8.html?cp=10&cc=b) and see this:

The outcome of Washington Redskins football games predicted the winner of every U.S. presidential election from 1936 to 2000.

a) True
b) False

I chose false.

True. Just as the groundhog's shadow foretells whether there will be six more weeks of winter, the outcome of the final home game of the Washington Redskins has been as an indicator of which political party would win the presidential election. If the Redskins won their last home game before Election Day, then the current party in power would win the election. If the Redskins lost, the opposing party would take over the White House. Unfortunately, the Redskins' streak ended in 2004. Although they were defeated by the Green Bay Packers on Oct. 31, George W. Bush was reelected and the Republican Party retained control of the White House.

east tx skier
01-24-2006, 05:56 PM
I'd seen that before.

Speaking of m-busters, I liked the one where they proved that driving with the tailgate up on a truck was more efficient because a little vortex was created in the bed that pushed air off the truck and reduced drag. When you dropped the tailgate, drag was increased. Between two trucks, the one with the gate up made it 30 miles further down the road.

twieder
01-24-2006, 06:04 PM
I liked the one where they were shooting different calibur rifles into that pool to test penitration.Basicalt to see if you could survive biving off your boat while someone is shooting at you.
A 50 cal bullet only went something like 8 inches deep before the bullet broke apart!A 22 went about 2 ft.Pretty cool though.

Datdude
01-24-2006, 06:15 PM
That is a great show

JEREMY79
01-24-2006, 06:17 PM
I like it too. I feel sorry for Buster though!

Footin
01-24-2006, 06:19 PM
I'd seen that before.

Speaking of m-busters, I liked the one where they proved that driving with the tailgate up on a truck was more efficient because a little vortex was created in the bed that pushed air off the truck and reduced drag. When you dropped the tailgate, drag was increased. Between two trucks, the one with the gate up made it 30 miles further down the road.

I did not see that one, very interesting though.

redmike
01-24-2006, 07:19 PM
how about the one where jamie waterskied behind a crew boat.....willie up at berryessa taught him to ski....

Footin
01-24-2006, 07:29 PM
He did a good job trying to get up.....the crew needed to row faster.

Ryan
01-24-2006, 07:35 PM
I'd seen that before.

It cracked me up watching that episode thinking of all the people who bought a tailgate net. At $40 for this one, I'm sure a few folks have nice retirements based on an urban legend.

flipper
01-24-2006, 08:55 PM
how about the one where jamie waterskied behind a crew boat.....willie up at berryessa taught him to ski....
Saw that one. I went to Willie's school so that made it even better. I like the chicken cannon the best though. Where they make a cannon to shoot frozen chickens to test air plane windshields.

JEREMY79
01-24-2006, 09:16 PM
I liked the one where they tried to explode a shotgun barrel with a finger. It was funny

Workin' 4 Toys
01-24-2006, 11:17 PM
I liked the one where they tried to explode a shotgun barrel with a finger. It was funny
Yes it was,

And the one with the motion sickness cures...

And how to make beer cold the fastest and coldest... (I've put this one to use MANY times)

jake
01-25-2006, 08:15 AM
Saw that one. I went to Willie's school so that made it even better. I like the chicken cannon the best though. Where they make a cannon to shoot frozen chickens to test air plane windshields.

Shooting chickens at airplanes was my favorite one too...just for shear stupid wow factor. That is a good show. Also liked the one where they tried to build a cannon in a day with a spoon drill. Busted that myth, ended up using a Milwaukee drill with an auger bit. Best part was when they filled the whole thing up with black powder and plugged the end of the cannon....cannon go boom!

Farmer Ted
01-25-2006, 08:33 AM

I never saw that one, but they're supposed to thaw the chickens out before they hurl them at the windscreen.

I guess it simulates a birdstrike at speed, which could be a bad thing if the canopy or windscreen can't withstand the impact.

atlfootr
01-25-2006, 08:45 AM
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/mythbusters.html

Episode 34: Bulletproof Water
How deep must you dive to survive a gunshot? Adam and Jamie are on the case, unleashing their arsenal of pistols, shotguns and supersonic rifles to find the answer.

On MythBusters, I love this quote "failure is not an option"; "if at first you don't succeed, then add some high explosives"!

Premiere's: July 13, 2005

Workin' 4 Toys
01-25-2006, 09:14 AM
Did you ever see the one where they made the concrete truck FULL of concrete disappear? They literally had the Feds come out, and filled the barrell with explosives, and blew it up. They put the truck in the middle of a mine, and went like a mile away to see in on camera. It was unbelievable.
The experiment was, could they knock hardened concrete loose from inside the barrell with explosives. Their try didn't do anything, so they blew the entire truck to pieces. That was a good one too.

jbfootin
01-25-2006, 09:18 AM
Can you believe they get paid to do that stuff! Where do I apply! Sure beats the typical office job and I'm sure they get paid better too! :worthy:

east tx skier
01-25-2006, 11:40 AM
And how to make beer cold the fastest and coldest... (I've put this one to use MANY times)

So what was it? Missed that one.

Maristar210
01-25-2006, 12:03 PM

I missed that as well. I would like to hear it....

Steve

djhuff
01-25-2006, 12:53 PM
I think they added salt to ice water and put the beer in that.

Makes sense as teh freezing point of salt water is much lower than regular water.

BriEOD
01-25-2006, 01:16 PM
Did you ever see the one where they made the concrete truck FULL of concrete disappear? They literally had the Feds come out, and filled the barrell with explosives, and blew it up. They put the truck in the middle of a mine, and went like a mile away to see in on camera. It was unbelievable.
The experiment was, could they knock hardened concrete loose from inside the barrell with explosives. Their try didn't do anything, so they blew the entire truck to pieces. That was a good one too.
I have not seen that one. But, I'll be if they had used a big enough shape charge or a HEAAD Shot they could have. It is just like trying to blow a stump out of the ground. If you lay some dynamite on a big ol' stump is won't do squat. But, if you put enough dynamite and than tamp the shot watch out. Explosives are not different than any other form of energy, they take the path of least resistance. ;)

Workin' 4 Toys
01-25-2006, 08:17 PM
Added salt to ICE WATER. Brings the freezing point down, and actually brings the temperature of the water to about 28 degrees.
I have done this many times since I saw that.

east tx skier
01-25-2006, 08:39 PM
Thanks, I meant to post that I'd looked it up later this afternoon. Also read of people who kept a bunch of rubbing alcohol in the freezer and would submerge the beer in that (I figure they encased it in something. But the rubbing alcohol can get down to about 20 degrees w/o freezing.

The trick, so say these anonymous internet experts, is to keep swirling the can to keep the liquid moving.

JEREMY79
01-25-2006, 08:43 PM
We have always put Rock Salt in our coolers.