PDA

View Full Version : was this boat based on a mid 80's mc

rodltg2
01-24-2006, 01:23 AM
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/127906764.html

it also looks like it could be a bu hull

jeverett
01-24-2006, 01:53 AM
Actually I think they splashed a mold from an 88 bu. SeaSwirl knocked off the tristar in the late 80's early 90's identicle hull with a way cheap interior.

6ballsisall
01-24-2006, 09:50 AM
Thats a Bu

Ryan
01-24-2006, 02:04 PM
I've wondered the same thing about these Marlin and Magnum Skiers. They are at least using the same windshield from what I can tell (certainly no expert). It seems like the keel line on a MC goes a little deaper a little sooner in the grade from bow to the center of the boat. I hope that made sense.

But, I had someone tell me that they bought the mold from MC. Just a lame rumor.

LakePirate
01-24-2006, 02:29 PM
I remember seeing somewhere that MC only usees a mold a couple of times then they busted it up and build a new one. They claim that repeated use will cause it to warp and they lose quality control.

lakes Rick
01-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Actually I think they splashed a mold from an 88 bu. SeaSwirl knocked off the tristar in the late 80's early 90's identicle hull with a way cheap interior.

I test drove and almost bought one of these from a guy in Portland OR. before I bought my TriStar in 91.. REAL plain inside.. Imagine one of those dashes used in seaswirls for 20 years behind your steering wheel.. Not a bad boat, well, for a tristar..... Local dealer told me they spotted the Tristar at SeaSwirls plant ( that the mold was made from) and put a stop to em after just a few were made....

To this day I can't believe they picked a TriStar to copy??????

Ryan
01-27-2006, 02:08 PM
I test drove and almost bought one of these from a guy in Portland OR. before I bought my TriStar in 91.. REAL plain inside.. Imagine one of those dashes used in seaswirls for 20 years behind your steering wheel.. Not a bad boat, well, for a tristar..... Local dealer told me they spotted the Tristar at SeaSwirls plant ( that the mold was made from) and put a stop to em after just a few were made....

To this day I can't believe they picked a TriStar to copy??????

Does anyone know what model SeaSwirl this was? I'd like to find a picture.

It wasn't until 1997 that "Hull Splashing" was stopped. That is, any manufacturer could take a boat, make a plug and a mold and be in business on someone elses design work.

"Boat manufacturers and boat hull design firms need Congressional help to stop the increasingly common practice of having their boat hull designs copied from a fully constructed boat. The practice of copying a particular boat hull design is commonly referred to as the "direct molding process" or "hull splashing"."

http://judiciary.house.gov/legacy/41114.htm

Ryan
01-27-2006, 02:18 PM
Ok, a little more homework shows splashing didn't stop in '97. Here is a recent article from Dec 5 2005.

"Genmar is one of the world's largest builders of recreational boats. Every year, the company fires off "cease and desist" letters to manufacturers that are copying its hull designs.

"They generally pull back and stop, once they know we are aware of it," Jacobs said. "But we have also taken some people to the mat over this," including suing them for copyright infringement.

The federal law protecting hull designs isn't strong enough and is cumbersome for manufacturers to use, said David Marlow, a director of product integrity with Brunswick Corp., a Lake Forest, Ill., conglomerate that makes Sea Ray, Boston Whaler, Crestliner and other popular boat brands.

"It's hard to say how many of our hull designs have been splashed in the past," Marlow said. "But we have seen examples of it, and I suspect it's a fairly widespread practice" that chases the top-selling designs." http://www.jsonline.com/bym/news/dec05/375571.asp

BrianM
01-27-2006, 02:23 PM
That is really interesting. Didn't realize that this was such a problem. Crazy that patent rights don't really apply to a hull design.

rodltg2
01-27-2006, 02:23 PM
dont tell me this hull wasn't splashed.

jmyers
01-27-2006, 02:48 PM
dont tell me this hull wasn't splashed.
Rod there is a boat dealer on 99 I think by Florin road that has some bayliner type ski boat with X7 graphics on it! If you go by you can see it from the freeway! I hasd to look twice because I thought I was seeing things! :eek:

rodltg2
01-27-2006, 02:54 PM
yep, thats a bayliner dealer. the boat you saw is the i think is the XT. its a wakeboard edition of the cheapy model they sell for 9999

rodltg2
01-27-2006, 03:00 PM
was it this bad boy

Ryan
01-27-2006, 03:07 PM
A little more homework shows the '97 bill wasn't enacted until '98. Just to clarify.
"Congress enacted 17 U.S.C. 1301 in 1998, with a two-year sunset provision.
The statute has become permanent. Vessel hull designs may be registered with the U.S. Copyright Office in a relatively simple and inexpensive procedure. The copyright office examines the application, publishes the design for notice purposes, and issues the registration certificate."

Wasn't Master Boat just MC selling under a different name in Brazil or where ever due to trademark issues over there?

rodltg2
01-27-2006, 03:08 PM
it is in brazil, but why not use there current hulls?

jmyers
01-27-2006, 03:11 PM
was it this bad boy
Could beeeeeeee!!! It sure looked like it said X7 though, you think that is what they were shooting for? :rolleyes:

rodltg2
01-27-2006, 03:12 PM
of course, what do you think

Ryan
01-27-2006, 03:29 PM
it is in brazil, but why not use there current hulls?

I don't know about that - maybe they licensed construction to someone down there?

I do know I want the part numbers for that windshield if I ever need to replace mine. I'd love to have a walk-through.

rodltg2
01-27-2006, 03:31 PM
maybe i swing by the master boat dealer next time in in sao paulo and ask