PDA

View Full Version : depth finder

eaglejon
01-23-2006, 11:00 PM
any suggestions on digital depth finders?
have been looking at them- can't decide if i should get a transom mount transducer, or an inside mount transducer
any brands that anyone would recommend, or not recommend
stumped in kalamazoo

Mag_Red
01-23-2006, 11:06 PM
I say inside mount..........I hate drilling holes in a perfectly good hull

Laurel_Lake_Skier
01-23-2006, 11:07 PM
By all means go with the through-hull transducer. I've got a Humminbird and have been happy with the way it works and looks in the dash.

vegashomeexpert
01-23-2006, 11:15 PM
any suggestions on digital depth finders?
have been looking at them- can't decide if i should get a transom mount transducer, or an inside mount transducer
any brands that anyone would recommend, or not recommend
stumped in kalamazoo
Doesn't your perfect pass come with it? Oh, no perfect pass? :cool:

vegashomeexpert
01-23-2006, 11:17 PM
Doesn't your perfect pass come with it? Oh, no perfect pass? :cool:
You know what, it has been so long since I have been on the frickin water I don't know where my depth finder is! Is it on the perfect pass wakeboard edition? Geeze, either I am gettin old or goin stir crazy! :huh:

east tx skier
01-23-2006, 11:29 PM
No, there's no depth finder in perfect pass. You might be thinking of the water temperature guage.

My father in law has a hummingbird depth finder. I've got a clock instead.

vegashomeexpert
01-23-2006, 11:32 PM
No, there's no depth finder in perfect pass. You might be thinking of the water temperature guage.

My father in law has a hummingbird depth finder. I've got a clock instead.
Yep, it is the temp guage. Don't know what I was thinking. Thanks Mr. Eastie for clearing that up! :worthy: I hope the wind stops and it gets warm soon! If not, I may have to ask Wakeseeky how to launch and start my boat. :(

skitilldark
01-23-2006, 11:32 PM
I think i've got a lowrance. It is really good when the boat is sitting still on the water or moving less than about 10 knots. Other than that it is pretty much unusable. It is a in-water transom mount.

TMCNo1
01-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Any depth finder you chose should work, but, if you use the thru hull shooting transducer about the only proper place to mount it is in the cutout area at the stuffing box/ shaft log area as it is the only area that is one layer of fiberglass, everywhere else the bildge liner/floor and hull is seperated by foam or an air gap and will not read properly. This was info i got from MC before i installed one on our boat. Most all transducers are attached to the hull in a pool of epoxy, the transducer is pressed tight against the fiberglass with no air bubbles between. Other than that it's a fairly simple install. I agree with a previous post that it works best at idle speed up to, in our case about 30 mph or in a sharp turn. Have fun!, and let us know how it works out!..............Later

BrianM
01-24-2006, 10:38 AM
About 6-8 inches to either side of the drain plug is solid glass as well. I drilled the hole for the Perfect Pass paddle wheel in my '88 and my '97 and both were solid approximately 3/4" thick there. That is where I would put one since PP recomends that location because of undesturbed water flow over the paddle wheel. Same thing is good for the transducer.

bobbyB
01-24-2006, 12:39 PM
I ordered a Depth/temp unit from Lowrance last Feb. Because it was a "new" product it took forever to actually arrive. Back ordered, delayed, yada-yada-yada..... It was finally placed in my grubby little paws in mid Oct. Drove me nuts waiting that long! The up side is that I've been happy that I waited because it was exactly what I wanted. The display is the same size as the clock guage on the dash. The transduser(sp) mounts on the transom, which was the down side, but the install went fine as long as i took my time and ran the drill bit in reverse to drill through the fiberglass. It worked well up to 20mph and ok up to 30. After that it was sketchy. I was only able to test it a couple of times before the winter, so I'm hoping that an adjustment of the transducer will help. Even so, I was very happy with the whole install and the overall performance of the unit.

Steve

bobbyB
01-24-2006, 12:45 PM
The unit was a Lowrance LST-3800 and can be viewed at Lowrance.com

I can post pics of the final install in anyone is intersted.

Steve

bcampbe7
01-24-2006, 01:09 PM
By all means go with the through-hull transducer. I've got a Humminbird and have been happy with the way it works and looks in the dash.

Ditto to everything here!

EDIT:

Here is mine
http://www.fishfinder-store.com/hudefimohd.html

Replaced the clock in my 96 PS190.

rick s.
01-24-2006, 01:26 PM
My Maristar 210 had the depth finder in it when I bought the boat. The transducer is inside the boat, but I am not really sure where it's located. It seems to work quite well at nearly all speeds, especially if the water is less than 100 feet deep. It is a Lowrance product. I only really care about depth when it's shallow, and I'm happy with the systems performance.

You give up sensitivity when you mount the transducer inside the hull. But that loss of sensitivity is only apparent in deep water. What my suggestion is, is that you can try out different areas inside the boat to see what location works best for you. Bed the transducer using a puddle of silicone sealant, use a minimum amount and as one of the above posts indicated, avoid air bubbles. If the first location doesn't work well, using a minimum amount of sealant should allow you to change locations.

Note that the depth finder will not work when the boat is in reverse, or when crossing your own wake, or the wakes of others, due to turbulence in the water.

Ski MC
06-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Where exactly did you mount the transducer? I am looking at a spot near the drive shaft (next to the exhaust tubes), but I am worried about turbulence.

erkoehler
06-07-2006, 01:24 PM
that spot should work well.....

skitilldark
06-08-2006, 12:06 AM
Mine is a Lowrance I think. the transducer appears to hang off the rear of the boat next to the passenger side speedo intake. It works good for me only when stopped, however, and sometimes struggles to give me accurate depth readings. other than that, it works pretty decently.