PDA

View Full Version : Back seat construction

Hunterb
01-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Hi everyone,

A couple people asked for some pictures of the construction of the back seat I built last winter. I tried to e-mail them through the private messages area but was unable to figure out how to send attachments so I am sending them out this way. If you are not interested in how I built my back seat, I apologize. If you are interested and have any questions please feel free to ask away.

Bruce

east tx skier
01-23-2006, 05:55 PM
Looks good, Bruce!

jayderwin1
01-23-2006, 05:59 PM
what did you make the frame out of? did you do the upholstry yourself?

rodltg2
01-23-2006, 06:11 PM
yeah, that looks really good.!

M-Funf
01-23-2006, 06:22 PM
Wow! Very nice!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Nice work. Did you duplicate an existing, or did you do that from scratch?

Hunterb
01-23-2006, 06:51 PM
Hi again,

I made the frame out of 2X2's and plywood. I basically built a simple box for the base, then cut two pieces of plywood to form the curved corners. I really wanted curved corners, not 90 degree ones, as think they look much nicer and are more comfortable. They do complicate things though. What I did was draw the curve I wanted on the top piece of plywood leaving two inches at the back. I then cut the same curve in the bottom piece but left four inches at the back, which gave me a two inch 'slope' to the back. The tricky part was filling the curves in. When I started I thought I could build a 90 degree corner and the upholstery guy would fill the corner with foam or something. Not to be said the upholstery man. So I had to bend a mahogany door skin around the curve and glue and screw it in place. I hadn't done that before and it was a bit tricky. You can see in the picture where I had to have a seam and I glued a small piece of thin plywood on the backside of it.

I covered all surfaces with a sealer and paint so I expect the seat to last as long as the boat and it is very easy to lift in and out.

If you are thinking about building a back seat here are a couple recommendations:

A two inch slope is about right. A thirteen inch high back is minimum. I used two inch foam on the seats and it's not thick enough. It's o.k. on the backrests but three inch is required on the seats. I'm changing that this year. If you want storage under the rear seat, like I did, then you will sacrifice comfort by having a lower backrest. I have 5 1/2 inches under the seat so I can fit bumpers etc. under there. Someone mentioned wanting a fat sac to fit under. You could, but you would really sacrifice backrest height and comfort.

I did not do the upholstery myself as it is really key to having a good looking finished product and I don't know what I'm doing.

Here's what it looks like in the boat. It's not perfect but it works pretty well.

Bruce

Hunterb
01-23-2006, 06:57 PM
Workin 4 toys,

No I had no template. there was nothing in the boat when I bought it except a broken motor cover. I got all my ideas from poking around this web-site and looking at peoples pictures. I had never been in a PS 190 prior to buying this one last year so it's been a great learning process.

Bruce

M-Funf
01-23-2006, 07:07 PM
That looks awesome!

Can you tell me the dimension from the finished floor to the top of the transom? I think my boat has less room to work with...so I may have to sacrifice either cushion thickness, height off the floor, or backrest height...

Thanks! :toast:

SKI*MC
01-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Could you PM me those measurements that you had, i want to compare them to mine. We are making a new back seat for our 83. The bottom of the seat is going to double as ballast. It is going to be all fabricated of alluminum. Hopefully it turns out as nice as yours. Good Job!

Cloaked
01-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Hi everyone,

A couple people asked for some pictures of the construction of the back seat I built last winter. I tried to e-mail them through the private messages area but was unable to figure out how to send attachments so I am sending them out this way. If you are not interested in how I built my back seat, I apologize. If you are interested and have any questions please feel free to ask away.

BruceNo need to apologize. These bums will look and debate anything... :D

Great job!!

Mag_Red
01-23-2006, 09:21 PM
No need to apologize. These bums will look and debate anything... :D

Great job!!No Kidding! That is an awesome job.! :headbang:

east tx skier
01-23-2006, 10:37 PM
Hey, Bruce. Did you have trouble with your seat foam not being firm enough, i.e., you sink down to the base when you sit on it? If so, your local auto upholstery shop can match one of your other seat cushion for firmness.

I had this issue with my jump seat.

flipper
01-23-2006, 10:57 PM
I needed these pics bad. Some M^&%$#@&*^% * stole mine last summer from the taco bell parking lot. I guess it's better that I didn't find them but need to build one being that I can't find one for my '91 PS 190. Anybody have any other tips? Thank you much Bruce. :worthy:

88 PS190
01-24-2006, 01:55 AM
make it harder to remove... of get out of california... what sort of ***** steals a boat seat. least it wasn't the skis or the boat.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-24-2006, 08:15 AM
Workin 4 toys,

No I had no template. there was nothing in the boat when I bought it except a broken motor cover. I got all my ideas from poking around this web-site and looking at peoples pictures. I had never been in a PS 190 prior to buying this one last year so it's been a great learning process.

Bruce
Very nice work. I think we talked about this project a long time ago via PM if I recall. Looks great.

Hunterb
01-24-2006, 01:59 PM
East tx skier,

Yes the seat foam was too soft. I have arranged for the upholstery guy to replace it with firmer foam. I will buy the foam and he will install it for no charge. If I were doing it again I would use 3" foam on the bottoms of all the seats.

I think the guy that did the upholstery work did a very nice job overall and it really makes or breaks the project. If anyone is interested in the cost, I built the side panels, back seat and spotter seat and then took the pieces along with the repaired motor cover and the drivers seat frame to the upholstery shop and took some pictures with me. I spent some time with the guy going over colours etc. and then I just let him fly at it. He supplied all the material and did the work for $1,500.00. It wasn't cheap, but he did nice work and after one summer it still looks perfect.

This winter I'm detailing the motor.

Thanks for the replies.

Bruce

flipper
01-24-2006, 08:46 PM
make it harder to remove... of get out of california... what sort of ***** steals a boat seat. least it wasn't the skis or the boat.
Ya Know. I couldn't believe it. :rant: And all the other things to steal (speakers, stereo, ski's, wake and knee boards, and other boating stuff) they took the back seat. I guess that is why they are thieves, to stupid to do anything else. Oh well, lucky I didn't find them, I would have ended up in jail and you guys probably would have read about me in the paper.

jeverett
01-24-2006, 09:46 PM
The Seat looks great for having only seen them out of pictures. My project this winter is that I am having the rear cushion cut into three sections so that the middle section can be removed making the non-skid step more usable while still leaving room for at least Two seats. After 10 years the seam ripped out last summer with all the people getting in and out of the boat and stepping right on that seam. I also got the idea to reconstruct the seat into a plexyglass SP? tank that can be filled to provide ballast and still keep that stock look!

milkmania
01-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Hunterb, looks great!!! how'd you do a workaround for the cup holder/motor vent on the back of the motor box? mine looks like crap:(

jeverett, be sure to keep us updated.... sounds interesting

flipper, are ya sure it didn't blow out? just messin' with yahttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/poke2.gif

milkmania
01-24-2006, 10:05 PM
He supplied all the material and did the work for $1,500.00. It wasn't cheap, but he did nice work and after one summer it still looks perfect.

I was quoted over $2200.00 with the guy supplying the material.... but also he'd have to remove the old upholstery and foam..... but your guy had to go from scratch, so I don't know which is worse:confused:

looks good

Workin' 4 Toys
01-24-2006, 11:21 PM
I was quoted over $2200.00 with the guy supplying the material.... but also he'd have to remove the old upholstery and foam..... but your guy had to go from scratch, so I don't know which is worse:confused:

looks good
Removing the old is worse, I'd even say MUCH worse. Ever try to take staples out of old seats. It isn't easy.

Hunterb
01-25-2006, 01:20 PM
Milkmania,

My cupholder is the original one. It was cracked along the bottom edge, probably from people sitting on it, so I did some fiberglass repair. Then I cleaned and painted it with special vinyl paint that I got at a body shop supply place. Of all the stuff I did in the boat I am least happy with the cupholder. I would buy a new one if I could. It's one of those things that looks O.K. from a distance, but a little scary up close, kind of like Cher :D

Bruce

nbogan44
08-10-2006, 10:31 AM
I've got a 79 star and stripes that I want to build a back seat for. Any help would be great. Give me a ring

Thanks,
Nick 513-15-1592

nbogan44
08-10-2006, 10:41 AM
bruce,
if you could forward me the demisions or even a sketch that would be great.

nick@senour-flaherty.com
fax-513-398-6599

bg1kanobi
08-17-2006, 11:10 AM
Guys,

I have a 1982 Prostar and need a new backseat any suggestions on where to get - the past owner put in an all wood seat and I throw cushions on top but would like to just get a new one - I need to reupholster anyway so color really doesnt matter too much

bg

KnoxX2
08-17-2006, 11:22 AM
Very nice job Hunterb....

tntempest
09-01-2006, 04:40 PM
You guys saw the rear seat in my 79. You loose one less person, but it has storage, cup holders and was very comfortable buckets