PDA

View Full Version : Cereal is bad

LakePirate
01-23-2006, 04:30 PM
So have you guys seen the lady that is suing Kellogg's for making sugary cereal and Nickelodeon for allowing them to advertise there.

Last time I checked 8 year olds didn't work or have any monies to buy groceries.

Looks like someone has decided to play the national lottery.

jayocheskey
01-23-2006, 04:31 PM
Are you serious? I need to read the story myself. Do you have a link?

jraben8
01-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Sounds like she will probably sue the city for spreading the concrete that her 8 year old skinned his knee on...

LakePirate
01-23-2006, 04:39 PM
Saw it on Fox News I will look for a link

http://www.cspinet.org/new/200601181.html

The actual Document

http://cspinet.org/new/pdf/viacom___kellogg.pdf

jraben8
01-23-2006, 04:42 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,182095,00.html

Absolutely ridiculous...

LakePirate
01-23-2006, 04:46 PM
Neil Cuvato was wearing them out about the suit.

jayocheskey
01-23-2006, 04:46 PM
Did you see that they were also considering suing McDonald's. You've gotta be kidding me. Who are these idiots? I double dare them to sue McDonald's -- they'd get squashed like a bunch of worms.

Cloaked
01-23-2006, 04:48 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,182095,00.html

Absolutely ridiculous...What is ridiculous is that the media, (i.e. Fox, bless their hearts), TT, news reporters, judges, and mediators even acknowledge such.

jraben8
01-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Sensationalism at its best!!!

JimN
01-23-2006, 05:35 PM
Squashed? I don't know, a 73 y.o. woman sued them because she put a cup of coffee between her legs, drove away and was burned when it tipped over. Got a bunch of money for her own stoopidity.

SAVE ME FROM MYSELF!!!!!

JEREMY79
01-23-2006, 05:42 PM
Now their cup says "Caution Hot"

Let me see..... um NO SH*T!!!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-23-2006, 06:29 PM
Is it legal for a lawyer (looking for work) to find a loop hole in the system like this and recommend someone do this? Hmmmm, some of these suits sound a little too off the wall to be real. Can people really be this idiotic?

LakePirate
01-23-2006, 06:36 PM
I bet this lady bought her 8 year old a playstation or x-box. Now that is not helping them gain weight at all.

She probably supported the local school system when they took out Phys Ed in favor of an extra hour busy work.

JEREMY79
01-23-2006, 06:37 PM
They dont have PE anymore? :mad:

Workin' 4 Toys
01-23-2006, 06:42 PM
I remember a program called the Presidential Physical Fitness program. I believe that got pulled long ago. I remember how many kids couldn't participate back then. I could only imagine now.

SKI*MC
01-23-2006, 07:25 PM
BIG NEWS GUYS!!!!! I pinched my finger on the door-jam of my FORD Explorer! I guess i can finally afford a new MC now!!!

twieder
01-23-2006, 11:15 PM
[QUOTE=LakePirate]I bet this lady bought her 8 year old a playstation or x-box. Now that is not helping them gain weight at all.
QUOTE]

She'll probably sue Sony too! Heck might as well sue whoever made the damn tv that she sets her FAT A$$ in all nite too!

:mad: DEATH TO TRIAL LAWYERS :mad:

Workin' 4 Toys
01-24-2006, 08:10 AM
[QUOTE=LakePirate]I bet this lady bought her 8 year old a playstation or x-box. Now that is not helping them gain weight at all.
QUOTE]

She'll probably sue Sony too! Heck might as well sue whoever made the damn tv that she sets her FAT A$$ in all nite too!

:mad: DEATH TO TRIAL LAWYERS :mad:
There was someone working on that last summer. Some guy was sueing a video game company because his kids were fat.

twieder
01-24-2006, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=twieder]
There was someone working on that last summer. Some guy was sueing a video game company because his kids were fat.

Never did hear how that one turned out, but I do remember it! Kinda makes ya wonder about the people settin dehind the bench to even allow that crap in their court rooms. I guess money talks awfull loud sometimes!?!

jayocheskey
01-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Squashed? I don't know, a 73 y.o. woman sued them because she put a cup of coffee between her legs, drove away and was burned when it tipped over. Got a bunch of money for her own stoopidity.

SAVE ME FROM MYSELF!!!!!

Here is a link to that story:

http://www.vanosteen.com/mcdonalds-coffee-lawsuit.htm

In this case, McDonald's was at fault. There had been numerous burn cases before as a result of spilling the McDonald's coffee. All these cases were settled out of court. This particular case could have been settled out of court for $800. This is a great article.

jayocheskey
01-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Now, if you want to sue McDonald's for offering unhealthy - the entire fast food industry (even Subway w/ the 1' Meatball sub) would have to be charged. I will hope and pray that there will never be a jury that would decide against: Taco Bell, Burger King, Wendy's, McDonald's, Taco Bueno, Dairy Queen, In 'N Out, A&W Restaurants, KFC, Chicken Express, Sonic, Braum's, White Castle, Burger Boy, ETC, ETC, ETC.......

You get my point?

loeweb
01-24-2006, 04:16 PM
I remember a program called the Presidential Physical Fitness program. I believe that got pulled long ago. I remember how many kids couldn't participate back then. I could only imagine now.

I can imagine now, I deal with it every day. It has got to the point now, that you can pretty much tell the first day the kids you are going to have problems with, and better yet, the kids whose parents will bail them out with a bogus note saying "Please excuse Susie from PE today because she has a hang nail." It is totally ridiculous the number of parents that will bail their kids out instead of maiking them work, and allowing teachers to teach them important things like self discipline and responsibility. Ok sorry, I'll get off the soap box now.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-24-2006, 04:46 PM
With the stories I hear about parents "reporting" other parents for what some might think is abuse (verbally or otherwise), others would call discipline.
And to see severely overweight kids in school to me is abuse in my eyes.
Sometimes it just makes me sick. I better not go on, I'll end up with my foot in my mouth!!!

Ryan
01-24-2006, 04:49 PM
"Steve Gardner, lead counsel for the plaintiffs. “But then again, Kellogg and Nick aren’t directing their marketing messages at parents; they’re going right behind parents’ backs. Parents are ultimately responsible for making sure their young kids don’t get hit by cars. But if someone’s recklessly driving around your neighborhood at 80 miles an hour, you’re going to want to stop them.”

Right. You'd pull your kids off the street. Or turn off the TV in this case. Why don't these people just boycott the channel, or shows involved. If ratings dropped low enough the network would bend and get the advertiser to change. Way more effective and a heck of a lot cheaper than getting all the lawyers involved.

Ryan
01-24-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm no lawyer. But, I think the only leg they'd have to stand on is to prove excessive amounts of advertising per hour or if there are instructions to go to web sites that have a store to click through.

"the page of the Web site to which viewers are directed is not used for e-commerce, advertising, or other commercial purposes (e.g., contains no links labeled "store" and no links to another page with commercial material). The display of Web site addresses in children's programs, however, is prohibited during both program material and commercial material when the site uses characters from the program to sell products or services. These Web site requirements will apply to both analog and digital programming and will become effective January 1, 2006."
http://ftp.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/childtv.html

Workin' 4 Toys
01-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Now, if you want to sue McDonald's for offering unhealthy - the entire fast food industry (even Subway w/ the 1' Meatball sub) would have to be charged. I will hope and pray that there will never be a jury that would decide against: Taco Bell, Burger King, Wendy's, McDonald's, Taco Bueno, Dairy Queen, In 'N Out, A&W Restaurants, KFC, Chicken Express, Sonic, Braum's, White Castle, Burger Boy, ETC, ETC, ETC.......

You get my point?
I hope the word "Moderation" would come up. Although it would be nice to see the SUPERDUPERMONSTER size options go away. IMO......
I remember when the LARGEST size was like 12 oz.
Now I think that it the "baby" size, or "sample size"

twieder
01-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Just wonderin if anyone remembers back to I believe it was late70's or early 80's when there was supposed to be the subliminal messages in some of the commertials aimed at children?As far as I remember, there was never any solid proof that it happened, but ya gota wonder if as technology moves foreward, there aren't new or at least improved ways of doing the same thing.
Have ya ever walked into a store and felt compelled to go to isle 6?

I felt compelled to buy a Mastercraft, but the voice I heard in my head was my wifes! Is that wrong? :D

jraben8
01-24-2006, 05:10 PM
I felt compelled to buy a Mastercraft, but the voice I heard in my head was my wifes! Is that wrong? :D

Of course thats not wrong!!! My wife knew what we wanted and found it 30 seconds before I did... :D

shepherd
01-24-2006, 10:52 PM
[QUOTE=twieder]

:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

In our system, you can pretty much sue anybody for anything. Now, if someone wins these cases, you should blame the idiot jurors... :cool:
"I know it was that lady's fault she spilled the coffee, but she lives in a trailer park and has three kids and McDonalds has billions so why not give her a couple million so we can all feel good about ourselves???"

jayocheskey
01-25-2006, 01:27 AM
I hope the word "Moderation" would come up. Although it would be nice to see the SUPERDUPERMONSTER size options go away. IMO......
I remember when the LARGEST size was like 12 oz.
Now I think that it the "baby" size, or "sample size"
Oh, how true. 44 ounce drinks and 1lb of french fries is too much for ANYONE.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Just wonderin if anyone remembers back to I believe it was late70's or early 80's when there was supposed to be the subliminal messages in some of the commertials aimed at children?
I remember. (Seems like they are still into it though to me)
Also the music at the time too, was putting subliminal messages. Some you had to listen to BACKWARDS to hear...!!
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think I ever listened to a song backwards, unless say it was RUN DMC "scratchin'" the vinyl...;)

Workin' 4 Toys
01-25-2006, 09:24 AM
Oh, how true. 44 ounce drinks and 1lb of french fries is too much for ANYONE.
I was at a decent place for dinner the other day, and they have a 1 pound burger. I thought to myself, wow. Until, Someone else points out they had a DOUBLE too. It's not just the fast food joints. It's everywhere.