PDA

View Full Version : MC's Best Seller? WHY?

jayocheskey
01-23-2006, 04:40 PM
I could probably do some research to discover which MC model is their best seller, but I figured you guys could tell me just as much and more as I would find on my own.

My theory: the X-9 because of its versatility. Approved for slalom competitions along with packing a pretty nice wake for the boarders.

east tx skier
01-23-2006, 04:42 PM
Current production? Don't know.

I'd always heard all-time best seller was the Pro Star 205. Don't ask me to back it up though.

rodltg2
01-23-2006, 04:43 PM
i would guess the x2/xstar model.

jayocheskey
01-23-2006, 04:44 PM
Current production? Don't know.

I'd always heard all-time best seller was the Pro Star 205. Don't ask me to back it up though.
You were the first person I thought would know the answer. I may end up having to do the research on my own now.

You bring up a good point though. Now, I would like to know their "all time" best seller along with their annual break-downs.

jayocheskey
01-23-2006, 04:47 PM
i would guess the x2/xstar model.

I would like to say that as well, but the X-Star price makes it seem a little out of range for some (I know it's way out of mine)

east tx skier
01-23-2006, 04:57 PM
Again, I'm just going of hearsay memories, but Rod's post made me think some more. That may well be the best selling hull, i.e., 96 and up 205 a/k/a Xstar a/k/a 205V a/k/a X2 a/k/a X1. It's certainly been around in one way or another for longer than any other hull design I can think of (10 years now) (that is assuming that the direct drive and v-drive hulls were essentially the same).

jayocheskey
01-23-2006, 05:06 PM
Essentially, MC has transformed it's X-Star from a decade ago into the X-1 today. With its innovation by design; what we now know as the X-Star has only existed for 2 or 3 years. Because of its popularity, I'm curious how long it will take other major boat manufacturers to follow suit with the new hull designs of the X-Star and X-2.

That's good stuff.

east tx skier
01-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Is that a quote?

rodltg2
01-23-2006, 05:13 PM
it cost money to make changes.

jayocheskey
01-23-2006, 05:13 PM
Is that a quote?
No. That was me thinking out loud. It sorta clicked when I read your previous post.

jayocheskey
01-23-2006, 05:14 PM
I'm so curious about this topic that I've already emailed MC and hope to hear back soon. I'd love to hear some more theories from the general population.

east tx skier
01-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Essentially, MC has transformed it's X-Star from a decade ago into the X-1 today. With its innovation by design; what we now know as the X-Star has only existed for 2 or 3 years. Because of its popularity, I'm curious how long it will take other major boat manufacturers to follow suit with the new hull designs of the X-Star and X-2.

That's good stuff.

I guess that's why my second post was directed at most popular hull design. True, the boat now labeled Xstar, has only been around about 3 years I think. But the hull for the X1/X2/205V/Xstar/PS205 has been around since 1996, and as far as I know, has remained, below deck, essentially unchanged.

east tx skier
01-23-2006, 05:21 PM
If you go to www.mastercraft.com and read about the X1, it may answer the question as it pertains to wakeboarding boats. "Best selling, most decorated boat in the history of the sport [of wakeboarding].

/that's a loose quote.

east tx skier
01-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Okay, here's a quote from the 2000 Water Ski Magazine Boat Buyer's Guide concerning the 2000 Pro Star 205. I think the last part of the quote would get to the "why" question. This was the last year of its production as a direct drive.

jayocheskey
01-23-2006, 05:30 PM
I knew you would come through. You always do. Now, I wonder how much the numbers have changed over the past 5 or 6 years.

east tx skier
01-23-2006, 05:46 PM
I'll speculate that from 2001 on, MC boat choices have become so diversified that none of them has yet to outsell the Prostar 205. Of course, if we go by name alone, the 190 has been around in name for nearly 20 years. That WSM article wasn't just talking about one hull design. That said, I don't think MC has sold that many 190s since 2001 when such sales are compared to the other boats in its line.

jmyers
01-23-2006, 07:37 PM
I vote X9!!!! I am just a little bias! :o

skitilldark
01-23-2006, 07:46 PM
I'll speculate that from 2001 on, MC boat choices have become so diversified that none of them has yet to outsell the Prostar 205. Of course, if we go by name alone, the 190 has been around in name for nearly 20 years. That WSM article wasn't just talking about one hull design. That said, I don't think MC has sold that many 190s since 2001 when such sales are compared to the other boats in its line.

I agree with you. On my most recent plant tour(November 05), the concensus on the floor (sheer number of boats under construction) was the X-2. It could have been just that particular day, however. They did say that for a short time in 01-02, the 209/X-9 was it. In recent years you could say ANYTHING with a tower. Right now, I would think it is a battle between the X-2, X-Star and X-30. However, that was before the X-15 came out!

rodltg2
01-23-2006, 07:50 PM
I agree with you. On my most recent plant tour(November 05), the concensus on the floor (sheer number of boats under construction) was the X-2. It could have been just that particular day, however. They did say that for a short time in 01-02, the 209/X-9 was it. In recent years you could say ANYTHING with a tower. Right now, I would think it is a battle between the X-2, X-Star and X-30. However, that was before the X-15 came out!

is it me or was that statment confusing.

jayocheskey
01-23-2006, 08:09 PM
it's just you

skitilldark
01-23-2006, 10:37 PM

I'm sorry, that probably was kindof confusing. In a nutshell, about 4 years ago the 209/X-9 were hot sellers. Now it is most likely a tie between the X-2, X-30 and X-Star. But that is just based off of observations of what is being built on the floor right now.

east tx skier
01-23-2006, 11:32 PM
Rod, I think he's talking about current best seller or best seller by year 01 and newer. I'd figure it'd be something with an X in the name.

sand2snow22
01-24-2006, 12:13 AM
I thought the current best seller was the X-Star. Sounds like the X-2 might give her a run for her money this year.....

BriEOD
01-24-2006, 08:27 AM
When you get that info post it. I'd speculate that the X-series are outselling the ProStar series right now.

Ryan
01-24-2006, 02:40 PM
You're not going get any volume numbers from MasterCraft. I doubt they will disclose which boat is selling the best right now, unless they spin it in a press release or brochure. Your dealer would probably spill it though.

I bet '06 will be a close tie in unit sales between the X-1, X-20/MS200, and X-15/MS215.

jayocheskey
01-24-2006, 02:49 PM
You're not going get any volume numbers from MasterCraft. I doubt they will disclose which boat is selling the best right now, unless they spin it in a press release or brochure. Your dealer would probably spill it though.

I bet '06 will be a close tie in unit sales between the X-1, X-20/MS200, and X-15/MS215.

No love for the X-2, X-Star, X-9/209 or X-7/207. The list could go on forever X-10/MariStar 210, X-30/MariStar 230, X-45/MariStar45 MC definitely makes some GREAT products!

Ryan
01-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Typo X-2/MS200. This is just my guess. My love is in the PS line.

jayocheskey
01-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Such a wide variety available. It would be hard to distinguish which one is the leader over time. Now, I'm just curious about a year to year basis.

skitilldark
01-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Such a wide variety available. It would be hard to distinguish which one is the leader over time. Now, I'm just curious about a year to year basis.

I'd bet that John Dorton would give you those year-to-year stats. He is probably the one who keeps the closest eye on it.

jayocheskey
01-24-2006, 05:08 PM
I'd bet that John Dorton would give you those year-to-year stats. He is probably the one who keeps the closest eye on it.

Really? I'll give it a shot.

twieder
01-24-2006, 05:31 PM
I got a 2K x-star mainly because it's a good "all around" boat. Good for slolom,footin,boardin,wake surfin,and just hangin out. Same hull as 205 I believe and new X-1.

Footin
01-24-2006, 06:05 PM

Think he ever "lurks" on the board?

skitilldark
01-24-2006, 06:21 PM

I know for a fact he does. He told me in a meeting once. I'm glad he does though. I think it lets him inside the head of the maniacs who buy his boats.

east tx skier
01-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Trust me, he doesn't want in my head. ;)

BriEOD
01-24-2006, 06:59 PM
I think it is a conspiracy. East Tx Skier is really John Dorton! :eek: :D

Footin
01-24-2006, 07:22 PM
I think it is a conspiracy. East Tx Skier is really John Dorton! :eek: :D

I hope not! That would mean he won't get any work done as he is spending all day on this board.

BriEOD
01-24-2006, 08:30 PM
I hope not! That would mean he won't get any work done as he is spending all day on this board.
LMAO!!!! :D

VTJC
01-24-2006, 10:39 PM
Wouldn’t a company that tracks the industry Edmunds or NADA come to mind know the #’s based on registrations or some other source. Just a thought.

skitilldark
01-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Wouldn’t a company that tracks the industry Edmunds or NADA come to mind know the #’s based on registrations or some other source. Just a thought.

I guess that would be a great idea if the VIN #'s reflect model #'s...I suppose they would have to. I'll check with NADA.

Ryan
01-25-2006, 05:43 PM

The NMMA (http://www.nmma.org/) tracks sales units and sells the books/data for a lot of money back to manufacturers - like AC Nielsen. I think they get the info from new boat registrations. I believe this is where bragging rights for 'most boats sold' comes from.

jayocheskey
02-08-2006, 12:57 PM
I finally received a response from someone @MC. Here is the email that he sent back to me:

Mr. Ocheskey,
I do apologize for the length of time it has taken me to respond to your
request. I have tried to get input from multiple sources within the company in order to get you an answer. While I don't have yearly breakdowns, I can tell you that the PS190 Closed Bow has been the longest running seller for us. While we do not sell nearly the volume we used to of this boat, we still have orders for this boat year after year.

Since the introduction of the X-Series, they have dominated our sales consistently each year and more specifically, the X-Star. From strictly a volume perspective, the 205V hull, currently our X-1, probably has sold the most boats over our history. I know this is somewhat general but I was unable to obtain specific numbers.

Team MasterCraft Owner Relations Representative
Team MasterCraft Owner Relations Department

DooSPX
02-08-2006, 08:00 PM
I would would say the 205, IMO
because besides the open bow, throw some sac's and you have a pretty good wake for boarding too.

SteveO
02-08-2006, 11:01 PM
I finally received a response from someone @MC. Here is the email that he sent back to me:

Mr. Ocheskey,
I can tell you that the PS190 Closed Bow has been the longest running seller for us. While we do not sell nearly the volume we used to of this boat, we still have orders for this boat year after year.

Since the introduction of the X-Series, they have dominated our sales consistently each year and more specifically, the X-Star. From strictly a volume perspective, the 205V hull, currently our X-1, probably has sold the most boats over our history.

Let the record stand. The 205V it is. I would love to ride behind the new X2 to see if a new legend has been born. MC needs a ski tournament approved V drive, and from the sounds of things the new 2 may be it.

SKI*MC
02-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Or a pickle forked d-drive. It would sell!

Eagle
02-09-2006, 12:09 AM
At Correct Craft, their best sellers are the 210 and the 211, according to the local dealer.

jayocheskey
02-09-2006, 12:29 AM
Let the record stand. The 205V it is. I would love to ride behind the new X2 to see if a new legend has been born. MC needs a ski tournament approved V drive, and from the sounds of things the new 2 may be it.
I read somewhere in another thread that the X-2 wakeboarding wake was not quite as good as the X-10/210 wake. The user also said the "table" was a little wide, but definitely a nice wake for slalom. Something along those lines.

Sodar
02-09-2006, 12:35 AM

Mr. Ocheskey,
I do apologize for the length of time it has taken me to respond to your
request. I have tried to get input from multiple sources within the company in order to get you an answer. While I don't have yearly breakdowns, I can tell you that the PS190 Closed Bow has been the longest running seller for us. While we do not sell nearly the volume we used to of this boat, we still have orders for this boat year after year.

Since the introduction of the X-Series, they have dominated our sales consistently each year and more specifically, the X-Star. From strictly a volume perspective, the 205V hull, currently our X-1, probably has sold the most boats over our history. I know this is somewhat general but I was unable to obtain specific numbers.

Team MasterCraft Owner Relations Representative
Team MasterCraft Owner Relations Department

Makes perfect sense!

jayocheskey
02-09-2006, 12:50 AM
Makes perfect sense!
East TX Skier actually called this one two weeks ago. He walked us all through the whole timeline and why he thought the now X-1 hull would be the best seller. It's been called 3 or 4 different things now, but has always been the same hull and a very popular seller. Nice call East TX.

Sodar
02-09-2006, 12:53 AM
Oops, I did not read the whole tread... anyways, it always seems so obvious after someone has already spelled it out for me! Nice Job Eastie!

Leroy
02-09-2006, 08:15 AM
I agree! It's been my belief for some time this would revive d-drive sales. I think you would pick up at least a foot of internal space for the equivalent length. Chop job by me about a year ago.

Or a pickle forked d-drive. It would sell!