PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to th Indy 500?

vegashomeexpert
01-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Saw Hoosier Bob offering free tickets to anyone wanting to go to the Indy 500 on another thread (J/K, he said they could be found for a reasonable price). Went a few years ago. Incredible experience! Great city and it wraps itself around the race. There is so much going on that the race itself is almost a letdown. Highly recommend it to be on your life's "to do" list!

ski_king
01-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Its on my to do list, but havent made it yet. I was at the track when I was 13 on a tour.
Tomorrow I will be in Indy and will be in one of the race team shops, looking forward to that.

Edit: While the 500 is on my to-do list, it is always held on Memorial Day weekend, same weekend we have our anniversary. Since wife isn't interested in racing, it may be a to-do that never gets done.

Leroy
01-22-2006, 12:46 PM
I went in 2004, but looks like will not the next few years due to our soccer club has tournament that weekend in Carmel.

Since Honda dropped the prices on the engines there is chance there will be full field this year now. I hoped with Cart folding the 500 would come back to the glory days, but as Bob says I've scalped for several years now on Georgetown road and came up with great tickets for 1/2 price.

Leroy
01-22-2006, 01:02 PM
From 2004. After the rain delay.

Tom023
01-22-2006, 01:32 PM
I hoped with Cart folding the 500 would come back to the glory days,

Leroy, is this speculation or news? I used to be a pretty big open wheel fan until Tony George split everyone up, and then I just lost interest. I never was much of an IRL follower.

bigmac
01-22-2006, 01:39 PM
When I was 16, my father scored a couple of pit passes for the time trials from some guy he knew at USAC. I met Parnelli Jones and even got to sit in the turbine car he was driving that year. Ancient history, but a memory I'll always have.

Leroy
01-22-2006, 02:28 PM
I remember discussing with my racing friends when Tony George did not buy out Cart and Cart filing bankrupcy, looks like they are now Champ Car World Series? I'm not the biggest race fan, but I also do not like George and how he has handled the race. In my view he took the premier event of the world and turned it into a second class event not even selling out anymore.

Leroy, is this speculation or news? I used to be a pretty big open wheel fan until Tony George split everyone up, and then I just lost interest. I never was much of an IRL follower.

ski_king
01-22-2006, 02:36 PM
Agreed, the Indy 500 isn't what it used to be.
If it wasn't for Danica Patrick last year, I don't think it would have had too much media coverage. Now this year they are starting an hour later which will elimnate the NASCAR guys from giving it try by doing a back to back race.

Leroy
01-22-2006, 02:53 PM
My friend that really knows racing came out last year and said it was the best RACE that he had seen at Indy, or at least matching the old days of Foyt, Unser and Mario.

Tom023
01-22-2006, 03:05 PM
IMO, Tony George couldn't have hurt open wheel racing in the U.S. any more than he did by creating the IRL, just when the CART fan base was growing. His reasons at the time were that CART was too expensive and full of foreign drivers, limiting the chances for American drivers to develop in world class racers. It also was to be oval racing only. Look at the IRL now, full of foreign drivers and moving to street and road courses and a relatively small fan base. It's too bad we are left with two mediocre series in stead of one great one.

stevo137
01-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Make sure when you go that you let us Hoosiers know so that we can meet up...

WakeSeeky
01-22-2006, 04:03 PM
We have some friends originally from Terre Haute... they go every year with their entire family. We usually get a phone call from the track, just so we can listen to the engines. :D One of these years we're going to make that trip, it just never seems to work out.

I just wish the IRL still ran here. That was a fun race to attend. :(

ski36short
01-22-2006, 05:12 PM
IMO, Tony George couldn't have hurt open wheel racing in the U.S. any more than he did by creating the IRL, just when the CART fan base was growing. His reasons at the time were that CART was too expensive and full of foreign drivers, limiting the chances for American drivers to develop in world class racers. It also was to be oval racing only. Look at the IRL now, full of foreign drivers and moving to street and road courses and a relatively small fan base. It's too bad we are left with two mediocre series in stead of one great one.

Agreed. I was a big CART fan and I hate what Tony did to American open wheel racing. Since then my racing interests drifted to world rally for a while and a passing interest in F1 but I don't watch much of anything any more. My heart remains with Champ Car but since both of the local races are gone (MIS and the Detroit GP) I haven't seen a race in a long time. Practice day in the pits at MIS used to be really cool - watching the teams work mere feet away makes you quickly realize which organizations are well funded and/or on top of their game.

Hoosier Bob
01-22-2006, 07:18 PM
I offered free tickets? I have been a couple of times. I agree it is something you have to do. Many people around here go every year w/o question. The two times I went it was around 90 degrees. I carried 100 lbs of beer 3 miles to my seat. One of the races was the longest in history and I ran out of beer. I enjoy carb day, qualifications and practice/happy hour more than the race. The prices range from 5-20 bucks and you can enjoy the facility. The museum is awesome with many historical Indy cars on show. It is still the "Month of May" and there is much more going on than the race.
Saw Hoosier Bob offering free tickets to anyone wanting to go to the Indy 500 on another thread (J/K, he said they could be found for a reasonable price). Went a few years ago. Incredible experience! Great city and it wraps itself around the race. There is so much going on that the race itself is almost a letdown. Highly recommend it to be on your life's "to do" list!

vegashomeexpert
01-22-2006, 09:08 PM
I offered free tickets? I said "J/K". Doesn't that mean just kidding? Unless you really are offering tickets? :D

sully
01-22-2006, 10:14 PM
I made it there 1988, totally incredible, speeds were approching 230 at the time. Rick Mears won that year. We were about six rows back right at the pit entrance. It has to be seen in person to really appreciate it.
I made the switch to nascar now because of what has happened to champ car.

Hoosier Bob
01-22-2006, 10:24 PM
I'll buy you a beer or two!
The week before is a blast. Hang out at the track during practice. The race is amazing and I believe it is still sold out but fewer are attending. Stands almost everywhere and a crowd that is immense. That time every year Speedway becomes the most populated city, I believe. 250,000 acounted for but they say the numbers at some times have hit nearly 500,000. I don't know how they get the figures but I believe it had something to do with the infield and "Snake Pit" not being counted. See you in May!
I said "J/K". Doesn't that mean just kidding? Unless you really are offering tickets? :D

ski_king
01-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Heres a picture I took yesterday in Indy. These are old cars no longer used.

stumbledog
01-25-2006, 11:37 AM
That pic is amazing. Probably just the Chasis?

ski_king
01-25-2006, 11:45 AM
That pic is amazing. Probably just the Chasis?
Those cars are for the most part complete, the engine and transmission are part of the structure, without the engine the rear end would not be there.
There were 2 more racks to the right also full of old cars.

ski36short
01-25-2006, 10:59 PM
That's pretty cool.

WakeSeeky
01-25-2006, 11:05 PM
Now I'm really bummed. I had pictures from the last IRL race held here in Vegas, but I think they must have gone down with my last motherboard. :( I thought I'd gotten everything!

Great picture, Ski King!