PDA

View Full Version : '02 ballast problems

'02xrider
01-22-2006, 04:24 AM
I read somewhere that relays could be put into the ballast harness to help with the undersized wire harness for the jabscos. Does anyone know anything about this??
There has got to be some kind of fix for these things. Sometimes they function, sometimes they don't. Very frustrating to deal with when it is one of the major components that make the 50k boat do what I bought it for.

PendO
01-22-2006, 07:10 PM
I read somewhere that relays could be put into the ballast harness to help with the undersized wire harness for the jabscos. Does anyone know anything about this??
There has got to be some kind of fix for these things. Sometimes they function, sometimes they don't. Very frustrating to deal with when it is one of the major components that make the 50k boat do what I bought it for.

Bump, so it is definitely an electrical issue? (not an impeller issue)?

Here is an article on Wakeworld about ballsts pumps (http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2001/BallastSystem3.asp)

Looks like the issue was discussed on www.mymastercraft.com http://mymastercraft.com/Forum/view_thread.cfm?postid=83&forum=10&category=2

try a google search for "ballast pump relay mastercraft" or drop MYMC a line and I bet he can help

'02xrider
01-22-2006, 07:26 PM
I would think electrical, I've replaced impellers, greased them, trimmed them--still the same problems from day 1.

PendO
01-22-2006, 07:31 PM
I would think electrical, I've replaced impellers, greased them, trimmed them--still the same problems from day 1.

well, sounds like you know is electrical, just had to ask:) Did you check out the link on the mymastercraft site?

'02xrider
01-23-2006, 01:02 AM
well, sounds like you know is electrical, just had to ask:) Did you check out the link on the mymastercraft site?

Yes I did and thank you. I even got what were supposed to be the new impellars from the dealer, same problem. Looks like a rewire is next. It would be nice if MC would fess up and fix the problem.

mc37801
01-23-2006, 11:14 AM
There are several things that can cause the problem,
1-battery size
2-ground
3-or you can try going to a larger wire,
4-make sure you have the newest impellors

DanC
01-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Go with the bigger wire. Even if you put in relays, you still have to run bigger wires from the power source to the pumps. Relays just allow you to run smaller wires from the switches to the relays.

Start the pumps up with the engine running at over 1500 rpm (IIRC)(per the Mastercraft user's manual).

You say you have lubed them otherwise I was going to add, hit the impeller with silicone spray if they are going to sit for more than one month.

'02xrider
01-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Thank you all for th input. Looks like a rewire. Where you at MC?!!

mc37801
01-25-2006, 02:56 PM
I'm in Tennessee

'02xrider
01-25-2006, 02:59 PM
I'm in Tennessee
Not you, Mastercraft.
FYI, I used the link on the home page and questioned Mastercraft about the issue. They replied and said the wiring should be 10ga. and it would be warranty work. Finally a straight answer from the manufacturer.