PDA

View Full Version : New Ski.....to me???

Workin' 4 Toys
01-22-2006, 01:20 AM
I was impressed with a ski I saw today. I did not try it (for obvious reasons, 34 degrees and snow being two of them)

It was a Connelly F1. Anyone have this?

What can you suggest I look at, if you do NOT have this one?

MarkP
01-22-2006, 01:45 AM
I donít have one. I want one, or would love to try one at least..

Workin' 4 Toys
01-22-2006, 07:09 PM
I've looked around for prices, but I haven't found a duplicate of the one I saw at a store. I still don't know if it is a 2006.

T Scott
01-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Article below was copied for Waterskimag.com

Connelly F1

Overview
It's hard to discount a ski that owns a piece of the record books with Jamie Beauchesne's run of 1 at 43, but every stick has its strengths and weaknesses, right? Let's start the F1 review with some positives.

"The F1 hooked up really well out of the turn," Carlson said. "It's solid and predictable with respectable acceleration out of the buoy."

For Wadina, the big guy of the tests at 215 pounds, the F1 was a good all-around performer. "It's not as fast as the other skis I tested, but it provides a secure feeling on the water and it's predictable."

Ristorcelli agreed with Carlson and Wadina about the F1's stability and deep riding characteristics, but he struggled to maintain speed off the second wake. "The F1 felt a touch heavy in the water, and it was hard for me to carry momentum going outbound in the pre-turn," Ristorcelli said.

Priced at several hundred dollars below the competition, the F1 fills the void for the buoy hunter looking for a high-end ski on a budget. It also gives the intermediate something to progress on.

Meister, our 32 mph tester, really enjoyed her test rides on the F1 once she figured out her stance on the ski. "The ski worked best for me with my weight shifted back on the ski," she said.

Biggest Selling Point: Your ski must make you feel stable if you expect to run a lot of buoys. The F1 does just that.
Biggest Concern: Lack of energy off the second wake to the buoy line.

Specs
Connelly F1
Sizes: 65", 66", 67", 68", 70"
Price: $630 (blank)
Bindings: Double Vision XS-XXL, $340

Flex: 67"
17" 88 pounds
25" 126 pounds
33" 156 pounds
41" 181 pounds
Weight: 4 pounds 4.5 ounces
Forebody width: 6.598"

Flex: 66"
17" 81.5
25" 119.5
33" 140
41" 176.5
Weight: 4 lb. 1 oz.
Forebody width: 6.67"

Connellyskis.com

Workin' 4 Toys
01-22-2006, 08:42 PM
It also gives the intermediate something to progress on.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm......... Starting to sound as good as it looked....

rodltg2
01-22-2006, 08:49 PM
are you course skiing ? free skiing?

Workin' 4 Toys
01-22-2006, 10:40 PM
Making a long story short, I'd like to see the course more often this season, but have been more into free. Planning for some changes this season.

MarkP
01-22-2006, 11:48 PM
Does that matter a lot?? Just curious. I think Iím looking to try to get in the course a bit more this year.

To me that means that I have to slow the boat down and at slower speeds my 66 will be almost worthless to me.

Ric
01-23-2006, 12:44 AM
Does that matter a lot?? Just curious. I think Iím looking to try to get in the course a bit more this year.

To me that means that I have to slow the boat down and at slower speeds my 66 will be almost worthless to me.

I say yes, my vengeance is nowhere near top o the line like an F1 but I am skiing the course at 15 & 22 off 34mph.

workin, what are you skiing now, what speed and is this ski for advancement in the course or just ripping?

If you are working up the line at 34 or 36mph in a course, then ya, go for the pro ski, but if not, I say enjoy the shaped skis which you can take into 34mph... :twocents: You'll work your butt off skiing a hot pro ski in open water as they're meant to do some serious high speed, shortline work.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-23-2006, 10:04 AM
I say yes, my vengeance is nowhere near top o the line like an F1 but I am skiing the course at 15 & 22 off 34mph.

workin, what are you skiing now, what speed and is this ski for advancement in the course or just ripping?

If you are working up the line at 34 or 36mph in a course, then ya, go for the pro ski, but if not, I say enjoy the shaped skis which you can take into 34mph... :twocents: You'll work your butt off skiing a hot pro ski in open water as they're meant to do some serious high speed, shortline work.
Hmmm... I guess I better start looking along a different line then:(. I liked it, but if it's only going to sit on the shelf, I better pass for now. If I thought I was going to run the course more, then I should look at the F1 again. I'll hold that thought for now. The trouble with our course is, it ALWAYS crowded. Last year it was over taken by jet skis with tubes about every weekend, our only shot was getting there during the week.

Back to it, What should I look at for 95% open water?

jake
01-23-2006, 10:20 AM
If you're looking for a high end ski on a budget, check out the Obrien Allegiance. It's an all carbon ski that comes out of the same mold as the SIXAM, but has a different core. Same approach HO takes with the MONZA and the System 8. Midwest Mastercraft had it on display at the boat show this weekend for $300 blank.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-23-2006, 10:32 AM
If you're looking for a high end ski on a budget, .
What if there was no budget?

east tx skier
01-23-2006, 10:32 AM
W4T, my brother-in-law has been on an F1 for two seasons now. He is mostly open water, but gets in the course when he can. I've never seen such a drastic improvement in skiing in my life once he got on that ski having been on an old kidder redline for years before. He loves it.

I'm partial to my CDX.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-23-2006, 10:45 AM
I am now even more confused than I was. What is the F1 designed for? Free or course, or depends on the user?

jake
01-23-2006, 10:58 AM
What if there was no budget?

If budget isn't a concern then you have many options and the old "try before you buy" advice would be the way to go. HO Monza, Obrien SIXAM, Goode, Carbonworx, D3, KD. There really isn't a best ski, it's more an issue of what you like personally. Different skis will have different characteristics.

I don't want to offend any connelly guys out there (I was a devoted Connelly guy myself until two years ago) but I would not put the F1 in the ultra high end ski camp. I know Jamie Beauchesne skied a shared world record on the F1, but Connelly seems to be least a full generation behind the other manufacturers when it comes to carbon ski technology. I think they do a great job on bindings though...the Vision bindings are some of the most comfortable I've ever used.

I can't wait to see what Mapple does now that he is reunited with Herb Obrien at Jobe. I'm sure he learned a lot with the SIXAM project (which can only be called a huge success given the number of pros that switched to the ski even when they weren't getting paid to ski it) and can only imagine his new ski with Jobe will be better than ever.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-23-2006, 11:06 AM
Before the "NO BUDGET" gets blown out of proportion, let me clarify. If there is suggestion to be made, I would rather not have somone else judge how much I would spend on something. I do think the $720.00(sticker) price tag on the F1 I saw was steep. But as you can tell, I did not buy it without knowing if it's what I need.
I suppose I should subscribe to some mags. and read up before I buy, nah, I'd rather talk about it here....:D

Whether is makes a difference to you and your suggestions, I have a 2003 X7, as some say to me I have a 2003 197 with a tower and a ballast bag......:D

jake
01-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Don't get sensitive on me W4T...wasn't suggesting you couldn't afford a high end ski, was just saying that the Obrien Allegiance seems to me to be a great value. If I were shopping for a new ski right now, I'd definitely have it on my candidate list.

jake
01-23-2006, 11:28 AM
I am now even more confused than I was. What is the F1 designed for? Free or course, or depends on the user?

The F1 is Connelly's top of the line ski....so I'd say it's designed with the competitive course skier in mind. If you look at the Connelly line-up, the F1X is a shaped version of the F1, and might be better suited to free skiing with the occasional run through the buoys.

east tx skier
01-23-2006, 11:42 AM
Yes, it is designed for course skiing, and the F1X might be the better ski. Just passing along one free skier's experience with this very fast ski. We're talking drastic improvement.

rodltg2
01-23-2006, 11:54 AM
i have no expereince on the f1 , but from what i have heard is that is not very forgiving. it seems that alot other high end skiis are becoming more forgiving . if your a beginner in the course i would stay away.

jayocheskey
01-23-2006, 12:01 PM
$720 - shop around a little. Here's a link with the F1 going for $599. Just trying to save you a little money.

http://www.anythingxtreme.com/Connelly-Tournament-Series-F1-06-Waterskis-Packages-P12964C1748.aspx?UserID=6956761&SessionID=PviEBGv81Ff7m9fFHKPP

I too went from a Kidder Redline to a Connelly stick. Talk about a huge difference. The Connelly is RIDICULOUS fast!!! If you are serious about the slalom and riding the course - or just hauling butt - the Connelly is the way to go.

east tx skier
01-23-2006, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I think he picked his up on ebay way cheap.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-23-2006, 01:35 PM
The F1 is Connelly's top of the line ski....so I'd say it's designed with the competitive course skier in mind. If you look at the Connelly line-up, the F1X is a shaped version of the F1, and might be better suited to free skiing with the occasional run through the buoys.
I'll look at that one, F1X, I actually think it may have been in the lineup, but I was drawn to the F1 for some reason. It might have been the looks at first, it was a wicked looking bluish color, then the bindings, and the fin and bracket looked as if it was just taken off the CNC machine. And the weight of it impressed me too.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-23-2006, 01:40 PM
$720 - shop around a little. Here's a link with the F1 going for $599. Just trying to save you a little money.

http://www.anythingxtreme.com/Connelly-Tournament-Series-F1-06-Waterskis-Packages-P12964C1748.aspx?UserID=6956761&SessionID=PviEBGv81Ff7m9fFHKPP

I too went from a Kidder Redline to a Connelly stick. Talk about a huge difference. The Connelly is RIDICULOUS fast!!! If you are serious about the slalom and riding the course - or just hauling butt - the Connelly is the way to go.

I couldn't find the one I saw on that site. Are there different "versions" of the F1?

east tx skier
01-23-2006, 01:59 PM
There are two 66" F1s (2005) on ski-it-again for $375. There's a 68" on there for $250 (blank).

Workin' 4 Toys
01-23-2006, 03:14 PM
There are two 66" F1s (2005) on ski-it-again for $375. There's a 68" on there for $250 (blank).
Is that a "used" store?

rodltg2
01-23-2006, 03:18 PM
classifieds for used ski crap

jraben8
01-23-2006, 03:18 PM
Most of the stuff posted there is used. In my opinion the prices tend to be in line with the quality of the equipment.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-23-2006, 03:22 PM
I like new. But I'll keep it in mind.

east tx skier
01-23-2006, 03:50 PM
Suit yourself.

I've sold some equipment over there and its quality was a good deal higher than the price. I personally wouldn't be too quick to blow off a good price just to have the pleasure of removing the tags from something myself. Again, boils down to preference to an extent. You buy enough things second hand, you may end up with something that wasn't treated as well as you'd like.

Another place to check out is Bennett's. We've bought a demo ski or two from them that could pass for new. The most recent was an 04 HO ASX Vengeance (purchased in 04) for under $200 and not a scratch on it. Of course, I'm sure they'd be thrilled to sell you shiny new stuff for MSRP, too.

Brent
01-23-2006, 11:04 PM
Look @ 2005 skis , Ho, Connally, Have only changed their graphic's & the 05's are being sold at a substantial discount. If I were you the 05 system 8 would be high on my list! :)

rodltg2
01-24-2006, 12:26 AM
Look @ 2005 skis , Ho, Connally, Have only changed their graphic's & the 05's are being sold at a substantial discount. If I were you the 05 system 8 would be high on my list! :)

me too.......

Workin' 4 Toys
01-24-2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks, I check into them.

pq2
01-26-2006, 01:24 PM
Try as many different skis as u can before buying one. I did that and it worked well, now Im happy with my selection and I dont have in my mind the question of how the other skis are. good luck.

other tip, once u buy your new ski, dont try other skis for a while. :D

kwood
01-26-2006, 05:52 PM
Check Wiley skis in Seattle. Usually best to call them. That is where I purchased my F1

Workin' 4 Toys
01-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Anyone else on a F1X?

I may get out next week for a look? What else?

LakePirate
01-26-2006, 09:26 PM
One of the guys I ski with rides one. He runs 15 off with it.

skibrain
01-27-2006, 11:06 AM
Workin' I didn't see you tell us what ski you are on now.

I hear you say that you'd like to buy something new. As someone else suggested, non-current models(maybe just last years graphics) can be a good deal, as can factory blems and demos. I bought a KD 7000 CG factory blem from Wiley's that was a super deal a few years back - there was a small dimple in the topcoat back by the fin. For $175 saving I got over it in 1/2 sec. Currently I'm on a D3 Tightline that was supposedly a demo. (I could see no evidence that the thing had every been wet before, and saved $350.)

But regardless, try as many skis as you can before you buy.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Workin' I didn't see you tell us what ski you are on now.

I hear you say that you'd like to buy something new. As someone else suggested, non-current models(maybe just last years graphics) can be a good deal, as can factory blems and demos. I bought a KD 7000 CG factory blem from Wiley's that was a super deal a few years back - there was a small dimple in the topcoat back by the fin. For $175 saving I got over it in 1/2 sec. Currently I'm on a D3 Tightline that was supposedly a demo. (I could see no evidence that the thing had every been wet before, and saved $350.)

But regardless, try as many skis as you can before you buy.

An O'Brien is what I use now. Model, I am not sure:o I have been content with it until I went shopping the other day, and convinced myself I should up the ante a little and get an edge on the sport, and I may actually get to like it MORE than driving. Is this out of the ordinary?;)
If I get better because of it, I had better watch out for the ramp just behind the 6!!!!! I may lose concentration....

BrianM
01-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Suit yourself.

I've sold some equipment over there and its quality was a good deal higher than the price. I personally wouldn't be too quick to blow off a good price just to have the pleasure of removing the tags from something myself. Again, boils down to preference to an extent. You buy enough things second hand, you may end up with something that wasn't treated as well as you'd like.

I agree with this 100% I bought my Monza 'used' off of ski-it-again for just over half the price of what a new ski was going for. Guy siad it only had about 10 sets on it. When it arrived I couldn't tell it had ever been in the water.