PDA

View Full Version : Gator on my ski lake

east tx skier
09-14-2004, 03:40 PM
For years I'd been hearing of aligator sitings on Caddo Lake. We'd always looked, but had never seen one. Neither my wife, nor my brother-in-law, who had been coming to and skiing on that lake for nearly 25 years had ever seen one.

Well, this weekend we saw one. My brother-in-law, his wife, their cousing, and I were out for a Saturday evening set this past weekend. As we turned off the big lake onto the river, he saw something that looked like a piece of wood in the water and asked, "What's that." As we passed it, it was clearly a gator, but seeing the boat, it must have decided that we were a lot bigger than it was, and quickly submerged. A bit bewildered by the siting, we did a slow u-turn and headed back the other way. About 15 to 20 feet away, as we passed the same spot, we saw it swimming away slowly, swinging that big tale. We estimate its length at somewhere between 6-8 feet.

I turned to my brother-in-law and said, "You're up, dude." Needless to say, we headed about 2 or 3 miles down the river. Both of us skied, but we dropped at least half a mile from where we'd spotted that gator.

To be honest, I was surprised I got into that water. Must have been in the sun too long. :o

Footin
09-14-2004, 03:42 PM
Do you think he was alone?

bcampbe7
09-14-2004, 03:44 PM
I thought you were going to say that you turned to your wife and said "your up, babe..."
You would be in Mag Red's situation, or worse! :eek:

Knoxes
09-14-2004, 03:45 PM
kinda different feeling being in the water with them, isn't it. We were "warned" about the harmless sharks in the Keys just before we got in the water. I was kinda <shrug> about it, knowing the chances of an attack are very, very slim. But man, it's a bit nerve-wracking being in the water with them just a few feet away.

bcampbe7
09-14-2004, 03:47 PM
With my luck, unless they are deterred by piss, I would get attacked.

east tx skier
09-14-2004, 03:51 PM
That lake is a bit unnerving anyway. It's just so darned smooth, you put up with things like snakes and aligators. I figured if I saw one, I'd just do my best Steve Erwin impression, jump on top of him, and tie up his snout with the ski rope (with enough slack for me to jump on his back, yell hit it, and ride him to the taxidermist. Yee haa)!

bcampbe7
09-14-2004, 03:53 PM
If you do, get pictures. That would be sweet! :woohoo:

Footin
09-14-2004, 03:54 PM
Might be able to get a new pair of boots out of him.

John B
09-14-2004, 03:54 PM
Come on Doug don't be a chicken.
That alligator dude for down under would had thrown his infant in the water right next to him (the gator) to teach him (his kid) how to swim with the gators, just in case he even came across one in the bath tub. :popcorn:

OhioProstar
09-14-2004, 04:10 PM
You think it was the one that got Chubb's hand?

Footin
09-14-2004, 04:13 PM
Good one OH.

bcampbe7
09-14-2004, 04:19 PM
:uglyhamme

JimN
09-14-2004, 04:56 PM
"What's the matter, Beave, chicken?"

bepresto
09-14-2004, 05:03 PM
check this out, nothing to be afraid of.

http://www.nostiks.com/Tony%20Pointing%20Chomper%20020_17.jpg

bepresto
09-14-2004, 05:04 PM
bet your gator is not as big as this

http://www.nostiks.com/BradChomper01.jpg

tex
09-14-2004, 05:09 PM
At Sea World San Diego, we had sharks and sea lions. The sea lions were the worst! They were mean has hell and would $hit all over our docks and stage!

John B
09-14-2004, 05:11 PM
You guys back there in gator country have it ruff. :eek:
I have to worry about are hungry ducks :D

Footin
09-14-2004, 05:12 PM
In Ohio we only get attacked by Carp.

bradamerry
09-14-2004, 05:35 PM
We grow up sking on a small lake north of Shreveport that had about 5 gators in it. But never had much of a problem, they showed up in the swimming area from time to time. The driver always hurried back to a down skier and pulled them up, we had a certain spot everybody started and stopped at.

BriEOD
09-14-2004, 06:08 PM
Doug you big wuss! We see them every time we go out. You don't mess with them they won't mess with you.

Bill-Good one!!! :D

MarkP
09-14-2004, 06:17 PM
Nice shots bepresto:cool: ..

I have to agree with Brian. Suck it up.
I donít know if I could say that if I saw one in my lake:noface:

east tx skier
09-14-2004, 06:22 PM
Hey, no chicken switch here. I got in the water. At the point when we first saw him (I assume him, but did not ask him), I'd already skied, so it wasn't my turn. I did go next as the girls in the boat decided they were just along for the ride. And as size goes, it looked like the ones in the picture.

Somewhere on the big lake, there's a 14 footer named George.

MarkP
09-14-2004, 06:24 PM
Doug How about photos??:D

east tx skier
09-14-2004, 06:29 PM
Didn't have the camera with us. Had my wife been there, she'd have had the wherewithall to snap a picture (and there'd have been a camera on the boat).

MarkP
09-14-2004, 06:34 PM
I guess this sighting may add a few things to that pre ski check list ;)

T Scott
09-14-2004, 06:38 PM
As a native Floridian, I have grown up with gators at my ski sites. I used to live on a lake in St. Petersburg Florida that was FULL of BIG gators. (9-12 feet) We would watch them swim by the dock as we were cooking on the barbecue. I am not afraaid of gators but have a very healthy respect for them. We would run the boat up and down the slalom course several times before getting in the water. We figured the commotion would scare them away. I have never had a close call with a gator, and hope my luck continues. Statistically speaking, I have a greater chance for injury driving to the lake than I do getting attacked by a gator. Suck it up Doug....us Floridians have for years! :) Tom

east tx skier
09-14-2004, 06:41 PM
Our thoughts exactly. Run the route a few times. They are not interested in noisy boats. I am far more concerned about water mocossins to be honest.

BriEOD
09-14-2004, 06:57 PM
I agree w/TScott as a person that is a native Floridian (Tampa area) and now in SC, you get used to them. But RESPECT is a good word, like anything else.

Leroy
09-14-2004, 07:08 PM
I know how you guys feel. We had some really bad bugs once...black one's... would fly all around you. We had to move to another part of the lake.

JimN
09-14-2004, 07:24 PM
Brian- by any chance, would you be related to a Larry Sharman?

BriEOD
09-14-2004, 07:50 PM
Not that I know of. Sharman isn't the most popular of names though.

NeilM
09-14-2004, 09:59 PM
I've had to dodge large pieces of ice while on slalom.:eek3: Does that count?:D

I guess it's all in where you live. The whole idea of sharing a lake with either a water moccasin or an alligator freaks me out...

erkoehler
09-14-2004, 10:09 PM
I would be a damn good driver, cause there is no way in hell I would be in that water! Guess I value my life to much. Call me what you will..

BriEOD
09-14-2004, 10:10 PM
I shot a pretty good sized mocassin in my back yard 3 days ago with a shotgun. I think I scared the hell out of some golfers! We back up to the 17th fairway with a smal creek (you could jump across with a good running start) and some trees as a barrier. Just to many kids playing in the yard etc.

Anyone need any golf balls? I have two 10 gallon buckets full of balls and I might play on the base once a year in a beer game.

NeilM
09-14-2004, 10:55 PM
Brian, it's sure scare the hell out of me if I was on that course.. Man, they'd likely be washin' their balls..;)

lakes Rick
09-14-2004, 11:07 PM
I shot a pretty good sized mocassin in my back yard 3 days ago with a shotgun. I think I scared the hell out of some golfers! We back up to the 17th fairway with a smal creek (you could jump across with a good running start) and some trees as a barrier. Just to many kids playing in the yard etc.

Anyone need any golf balls? I have two 10 gallon buckets full of balls and I might play on the base once a year in a beer game.

Reminds me of playing golf ( hate it) at sales meetings back in the carolinas.. Was scrounging for my golf ball in the woods and was told to NEVER do that there.. LOTS of pretty colored snakes...

lakes Rick
09-14-2004, 11:08 PM
Doug you big wuss! We see them every time we go out. You don't mess with them they won't mess with you.

Bill-Good one!!! :D

Yeah right.. Poor little baby water buffalo just want a drink and they get eaten by them all the time.. I watch discovery channel.....

BriEOD
09-14-2004, 11:20 PM
Yeah right.. Poor little baby water buffalo just want a drink and they get eaten by them all the time.. I watch discovery channel.....
Dude those are crocodiles not American Alligators, similar yet different. Man don't you watch the Crocodile Dude...

lakes Rick
09-14-2004, 11:22 PM
Dude those are crocodiles not American Alligators, similar yet different. Man don't you watch the Crocodile Dude...

Alligators schmalligators... BIG teeth, big mouths.. REAL LONG with a huge tail.... All look the same to me.....and I AINT swimmin with em...

east tx skier
09-14-2004, 11:35 PM
Rick, I predict you will live a long, happy life with that as your mantra.

BriEOD
09-14-2004, 11:36 PM
Rick sounds like your X-wife!!! :banana:

Skiufool
09-15-2004, 02:16 AM
I grew up skiing in Mississippi on the Jourdan River and were surrounded by both alligators and moccasins. Alligators are like bees, won't do anything to you unless you piss them off...Granted an alligator's sting hurts a bit more than a bee's does. I've actually run across the back of an alligator on my slalom before years ago, and all it did - other than give me a heart attack - was duck under the water and crawl up on the shore. Just keep your distance and you have nothing to worry about.

Now, alligator gar was something you had to watch out for. Those are those huge creatures that look like a cross between an alligator and a fish and they have an attitude! Those guys are mean! If you're ever in an area inhabited by alligator gar (mainly the Southeast around Louisiana and Mississippi) and a sighting occurrs...get in the boat and drive! Moccasins are no joke either, but maybe that's because I can't stand the sight of snakes regardless.

sizzler
09-15-2004, 03:36 AM
are you men or mice???????????? i first learnt to ski in the river thames by southend-on-sea...we had tampoon fish,floating on the surface..5-6 inches long with a tail that looks like a piece of string and a body strangely covered in blood....when we saw something in the water that looked like a log...it was a log...straight from the sewage plant..they broke up nicely as you footed over them!!!!! as for fish.well. the water was so dirty ntg would live in it anyway!!!!
no chance of catching anything except cholera/typhoid

now i ski on a freshwater lake...we have to put up with..........ducks.big nasty ones.....some as big as a ...as big as a ..well.....DUCK.....Carp ...well the carp go up to 20lb and give a nasty suck..
so don't go on about alligators,sharks and all

I SH#T 'EM

jimmer2880
09-15-2004, 07:23 AM
Sizzler.... too funny. I have to put up with Ducks AND Geese! Now that's dangerous! The local city park captures a hole bunch each year & drop them off at the club I belong to (why - I don't know... we don't invite them to do that!).... Anyway - I think that the "tame" ones are WAY worse than anything wild since they know if they bite you, you'll leave - not them!

Then - each fall, duck season opens up & somehow they all disappear. :)

nothing more fun than washing duck & goose poop off of your swim platform before the first ski ride! :mad:

Of course I'm kidding about ducks & geese being worse than gators. No WAY I'd ski in a gator infested lake.

sizzler
09-15-2004, 07:30 AM
Do you guys carry a pencil with you when you're footin'????

so you can poke the gator in the eye, to stop him ripping your arm off

BriEOD
09-15-2004, 07:36 AM
Jimmer,

I don't agree. If the only place you had to ski was a place with gators I'm willing to taked the over/under that you would ski. Virtually anywhere you go in the southeast with fresh water has gators. I don't like em' but what can I do? I'm not going to stop skiing.

jimmer2880
09-15-2004, 07:46 AM
guess I'd have to start skiing armed with a dive knife, Glock, or maybe an AK?

You're right - if that was all I had, I'd probably be on the other side of the fence.

erkoehler
09-15-2004, 08:38 AM
I LOVE my fresh water private lake (private meaning no gators!) that was beautiful crystal clear water. When I look down, I see a sandy bottom, not a 12 foot gator just casually swimming by.

You guys are nuts, one wrong move and you are that gators dinner. :eek:

BriEOD
09-15-2004, 10:20 AM
Dude where do you live.

east tx skier
09-15-2004, 11:09 AM
One sighting in 25 years is not going to chase me off the lake. This thing couldn't get away from us fast enough. Much more worried about the water mocasins. Those things will chase you. Even so, where we ski, I've only seen/skied over one in the six years I've been skiing there. There's no lake in Texas, public or private, that can say it's 100% snake free. Its a good thing. It keeps people from dilly-dallying on the end of the rope while we're sweatin' bullets in the boat. Line's tight. You're ready. Driver!

lakes Rick
09-15-2004, 05:29 PM
guess I'd have to start skiing armed with a dive knife, Glock, or maybe an AK?

I got an AK... Anyone seen my EX lately?????

erkoehler
09-15-2004, 05:56 PM
Dude where do you live.

I live outside of Chicago, but we have a resort on a small lake (Finley Lake) in Northern Wisconsin that is situated between Eagle River and St Germain. I will admit, I am spoiled by my lake. No weeds, no gators, no snakes, only 3 other people that ski on the lake, and no lilly pads.

It is a great ski lake!!! ;)

captkidd
09-22-2004, 05:09 PM
Oh shut up!

captkidd
09-22-2004, 05:10 PM
Dude, hope you know I was kidding. :D

captkidd
09-22-2004, 05:13 PM

I can hear it now:

"Karl, go out and shoot those gophers!"

"Shoot the golfers? Isn't that illegal?"

(Caddyshack, for those of you too young to remember.)

BTW, where do you get 10 gallon buckets?

CTPJ
09-22-2004, 05:22 PM
When I was a teen in So Fla. I was skiing in th ICW and while waiting to be pulled out of the hole, a friend in the boat said there was a big shark right behind me. I just laughed and told him to "hit it" (I think I told him to F Off as well). After I got back in the boat, he told me he hadn't been joking. Thank god he hadn't made a bigger issue of it when I was trying to get up. :eek3:

BriEOD
09-22-2004, 05:34 PM
Erkhoeler,

Sounds nice, but I can't imagine the temperature is to wonderful. I'll put up with the critters if it means I get warm water and air. That's to cold up there!

Capt Kidd,

I could tell you where I get the buckets but then I would have to kill you. ;)

erkoehler
09-22-2004, 05:48 PM
The water is nice. Need a wet suit till oh, June 10th at the latest. We usually put the docks and everything in Memorial Day, and pull out Labor Day. We could definetly ski through Sept. up there if we wanted to, but everything become a ghost town from labor day till the snow flies.

We always ski on Memorial Day, but it is COLD :eek: I have skied once or twice without a wet suit, but it is no fun. It is worth it though! :dance:

erkoehler
09-22-2004, 05:49 PM
Capt,

You talkin to me? :confused:

BriEOD
09-22-2004, 09:04 PM
ERK.

No way man that is to cold...brrr Last year the only months I did not ski here was Dec-Jan-Feb. Also, no wetsuit May-Sep.

CTPJ,

Has the James gone back down since all of the flooding, rain, storms?

captkidd
09-23-2004, 03:50 PM
ERK, yeah, but I'm just jealous. Sounds like my dream house, one located on a ski lake, especially after the article in the latest STAR magazine. I honestly don't begrudge anyone being able to have these things, as long as they really appreciate it, and it seems like you do.

erkoehler
09-23-2004, 06:14 PM
I do appreciate what we have in property on the lake. Although, it is a long way off until I own any of it. (About 9 people would have to die before it was in my name!) Either way, it is awesome up there in the summer for skiing and in the winter for SNOWMOBILING :D

In total, we have one house and three cabins, just to rub some salt in the wounds! :purplaugh