PDA

View Full Version : Solved my swim platform problem at Mpls boat show...

bigmac
01-21-2006, 07:15 PM
My son and I trekked down to the Minneapolis Boat Show today. It was pretty good...all the tow boat/ski boat manufacturers were there, including some I'd never heard of. CC, Tige, and Supra/Moomba were real yawners as far as displays went. Malibu had a nice setup, but I have to say honestly I wasn't as impressed by their boats in the flesh as I was prepared to be. The do have a nice dash display, though. Midwest MasterCraft, also had a very impressive display with an impressive array of boats. In fact, I'd say their display was as impressive as MasterCraft's reputation in the industry - they did us all proud. They also had a very complete merchandise section and people were buying up a storm, from wet suits to MasterCraft hats (20% off). I wasn't in the market for a new boat, so I didn't ask the Midwest MasterCraft salesman about their automatic $1500 off boat show price on all 2006 MasterCrafts.

http://mccollister.info/boatshow.jpg

So, I was looking at an X-15 and chatting with a Midwest MasterCraft salesman. He asked me how I liked my 230VRS and what didn't I like about it? The only thing I could think of, standing there, now on the spot, leaning on the swim platform of that X-15, was the black stuff that rubs off my platform pad and tracks all over the interior. A guy standing nearby overhears and comes over and asks me if I'm having trouble with my swim platform staining the boat. I told him I was. He was very sympathetic, apologized, and told me to email him and he'd have the new, correct platform material shipped to my dealer for installation. He handed me his business card...."John Dorton, President and CEO, MasterCraft Boat Company". We chatted for awhile, and as he walked away, the salesman said "he's been doing that kind of stuff all day".

Well, I was impressed. I knew MasterCraft was customer-oriented, but it was nice to see first-hand that concern for the customer starts at the top.

My only other purchase was kind of an impulse buy I may regret someday. Good to have bought it now, before it either becomes illegal, or liability lawyers put the company out of business. Either or both things are likely, IMHO. I can't wait to try it.

http://mail.sportsstuff.com/towables/wego/images/kitetubeact.jpg

Somebody posted about it here before, but look at their video clip... (http://www.sportsstuff.com/towables/wego/movie.shtml) . This thing is wild...

vegashomeexpert
01-21-2006, 08:08 PM
Well, I was impressed. I knew MasterCraft was customer-oriented, but it was nice to see first-hand that concern for the customer starts at the top.

Somebody posted about it here before, but look at their video clip... (http://www.sportsstuff.com/towables/wego/movie.shtml) . This thing is wild...
WOW! 2 awesome customer service experiences in 2 days (me yesterday with TMC) and now this. Wonder if they would have given me that pretty new rudder if I would have told them I didn't like how my X30 turned? :cool: Naw, I was happy to pay for the rudder. I, too, am looking to fly. I have seen the video for that. Mind telling me, either on here or PM, how much you paid?
Thanks, & congrats! You now have a "perfect" boat!

milkmania
01-21-2006, 08:10 PM
A guy standing nearby overhears and comes over and asks me if I'm having trouble with my swim platform staining the boat. I told him I was. He was very sympathetic, apologized, and told me to email him and he'd have the new, correct platform material shipped to my dealer for installation. He handed me his business card...."John Dorton, President and CEO, MasterCraft Boat Company". We chatted for awhile, and as he walked away, the salesman said "he's been doing that kind of stuff all day".

glad to hear this for you:headbang:

you didn't let Mr. Dorton see you buying that kite thing, did you?:eek:

:purplaugh

bigmac
01-21-2006, 08:19 PM
glad to hear this for you:headbang:

you didn't let Mr. Dorton see you buying that kite thing, did you?:eek:

:purplaugh

He told me that MasterCraft was a World Record Kite Tube Towboat

bigmac
01-21-2006, 08:22 PM
WOW! 2 awesome customer service experiences in 2 days (me yesterday with TMC) and now this. Wonder if they would have given me that pretty new rudder if I would have told them I didn't like how my X30 turned? :cool: Naw, I was happy to pay for the rudder. I, too, am looking to fly. I have seen the video for that. Mind telling me, either on here or PM, how much you paid?
Thanks, & congrats! You now have a "perfect" boat!

The tube was $499, free shipping, free tow rope, and a $50 in-store credit.

It's this place... (http://www.waterriders.com/Sportsstuff-Wego-Kite-Tube-P194C23.aspx) where I bought the thing, basically looks like the same deal. The kite tube web site is at http://www.sportsstuff.com/

milkmania
01-21-2006, 08:22 PM
He told me that MasterCraft was a World Record Kite Tube Towboat

that's why he's Number One!:banana:

mplv
01-21-2006, 08:44 PM
a buddy already got a concussion from the kite tube

milkmania
01-21-2006, 08:50 PM

coulda given him a concussion for $299 and pocketed $200!

just sayin....

jayderwin1
01-21-2006, 08:59 PM
that is the coolest thing since water skiing. that is too bad a$$ i bet you have to be going full speed for that to work. i had and idea for something like that about 8 years ago i just couldn't figure out what too make it out of that would fit in the boat and be light enough. i was thinking more along the lines of a hard structure. i guess you have to figure it all out before you can make the big bucks!

erkoehler
01-21-2006, 09:13 PM
Glad to hear you got it taken care of, did they say what was causing the problem?

EricB
01-21-2006, 09:46 PM
I attended the Minneapolis Boat Show also. I had 2 children in tow (actually they towed me) and I did not see alot of other "ski boat" dealers displaying their store with the exception of Midwest Mastercraft. they did a really nice job and had several Prostars there besides V-drives. As BigMac stated, they were one of the only dealers to actually set-up a store to sell gear. I'm not in the markey for a new boat, but I got a new rope and handle. Prices were equal to catalog sales, so I supported Midwest. All in all, a very nice display.

bigmac
01-21-2006, 10:10 PM
Glad to hear you got it taken care of, did they say what was causing the problem?

The company that made the pads for the swim platform changed the specs after what they submitted had been tested and approved by MasterCraft, and they didn't share that information.

bigmac
01-21-2006, 10:16 PM
that is the coolest thing since water skiing. that is too bad a$$ i bet you have to be going full speed for that to work. i had and idea for something like that about 8 years ago i just couldn't figure out what too make it out of that would fit in the boat and be light enough. i was thinking more along the lines of a hard structure. i guess you have to figure it all out before you can make the big bucks!

The kid selling them told me you needed to be going 14-18 mph to get it to fly. I'm skeptical that that speed would be sufficient for a 200-pounder, but we'll see...

bigmac
01-21-2006, 10:21 PM

http://mccollister.info/whew.gifThank goodness the kite tube is at least a little dangerous. I was afraid I might not enjoy it... :)

Todd '04_PS197
01-21-2006, 10:28 PM
It must have been pretty cool to meet the CEO of MasterCraft. I'm very impressed with MC's interaction with their owners / customers to improve overall satisfaction.

PendO
01-22-2006, 12:16 AM
Helluva way to meet the CEO of M/C ... nice to know the guy at the top is into customer service like that!

Way to Go M/C!

erkoehler
01-22-2006, 12:42 AM
Helluva way to meet the CEO of M/C ... nice to know the guy at the top is into customer service like that!

Way to Go M/C!

Its good to know that he actually knows what goes on w/ the boats too. I have seen many CEO's that get so out of touch with the actual product that they loose focus on what the true demands of the customers are.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-22-2006, 01:28 AM
I am also impressed with the CS you received, and looking forward to the kite report.

HOWEVER, more importantly, HOW DO I GET ONE OF THOSE STANDS in the picture?!?!?!? :D :D :D

bigmac
01-22-2006, 09:31 AM
I am also impressed with the CS you received, and looking forward to the kite report.

HOWEVER, more importantly, HOW DO I GET ONE OF THOSE STANDS in the picture?!?!?!? :D :D :D

I thought that stand was cool too. It had a MasterCraft logo on it, made me wonder if it wasn't custom made by MC. Obviously it doesn't show in the picture, but it rotates too. It made an impressive display, especially with that red boat up there.

The whole MasterCraft display was cool and innovative, and appealing to a younger crowd. Malibu OTOH just had 5 or 6 boats sitting on the ground. Supra/Moomba just had 3 or 4 boats sitting around on trailers. The only thing I remember about the Tige exhibit was what an unbelievably ugly color that lime blue-green is. The thing that impressed me about the Malibu exhibit was that the Wakesetter XTi cockpit layout concept was even stranger in person then in the pictures. No thanks.

I was impressed, but kind of not surprised by John Dorton's knowledge of the boats too. In the course of our conversation, snapping alternator bolts came up. He told me which boats, explained the reason, explained the fix. Really, I wouldn't have been surprised if he had started quoting part numbers.

G-man
01-22-2006, 09:33 AM
I helped John judge boats at the last Pro Tour ski event in Shrieveport. This was during his first year at MC. I was impressed with his knowlege of MC and goals for MC in the future. He has done what he said and continues to push MC forward. He has a great since of humor. His line was something like: Tom Landry saw me better as a marketing director than a football player so I'm here now.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-22-2006, 11:04 AM
I was impressed, but kind of not surprised by John Dorton's knowledge of the boats too. In the course of our conversation, snapping alternator bolts came up. He told me which boats, explained the reason, explained the fix. Really, I wouldn't have been surprised if he had started quoting part numbers.
On the Alt bolts....
Not that it means all that much anymore. But did you get the impression it was an Indmar problem, or a MC problem?

jamisonsbrodie
01-22-2006, 11:59 AM
The only thing I remember about the Tige exhibit was what an unbelievably ugly color that lime blue-green is.

I completely agree, it was aweful. I had my 9 month old in-tow, and she wasn't very happy, so I didn't get enjoy the show a whole lot. I had a brief conversation w/ John also, but I didn't even realize who he was, I just thought he was a company rep. Needless to say, my daughter had me a bit distracted all day.

bigmac
01-22-2006, 12:16 PM
On the Alt bolts....
Not that it means all that much anymore. But did you get the impression it was an Indmar problem, or a MC problem?Indmar's problem. He was kind of lamenting the fact that MasterCraft had to outsource (as all do, of course) and the occasional surprise that occurs when the boats get into production, such as bleeding swim platforms or weaker-than-expected alternator support assemblies.

Personally, I view those kinds of things as an inevitable part of low-volume, complex vehicle manufacturing. I'm not nearly as concerned with the fact that they happen as I am with how they are dealt with if they do. MasterCraft scores pretty well in that regard, IMHO.

bigmac
01-22-2006, 12:31 PM
I had a brief conversation w/ John also, but I didn't even realize who he was, I just thought he was a company rep. Needless to say, my daughter had me a bit distracted all day.

Heh...he introduced himself as "the CEO" and handed me his business card. My first thought was CEO of Midwest MasterCraft. I think the Midwest MasterCraft salesman was a little amused as he watched my jaw drop a little when I put it all together and realized that he meant the CEO of MasterCraft Boats.

skitilldark
01-22-2006, 12:55 PM
My son and I trekked down to the Minneapolis Boat Show today. It was pretty good...all the tow boat/ski boat manufacturers were there, including some I'd never heard of. CC, Tige, and Supra/Moomba were real yawners as far as displays went. Malibu had a nice setup, but I have to say honestly I wasn't as impressed by their boats in the flesh as I was prepared to be. The do have a nice dash display, though. Midwest MasterCraft, also had a very impressive display with an impressive array of boats. In fact, I'd say their display was as impressive as MasterCraft's reputation in the industry - they did us all proud. They also had a very complete merchandise section and people were buying up a storm, from wet suits to MasterCraft hats (20% off). I wasn't in the market for a new boat, so I didn't ask the Midwest MasterCraft salesman about their automatic $1500 off boat show price on all 2006 MasterCrafts.

http://mccollister.info/boatshow.jpg

So, I was looking at an X-15 and chatting with a Midwest MasterCraft salesman. He asked me how I liked my 230VRS and what didn't I like about it? The only thing I could think of, standing there, now on the spot, leaning on the swim platform of that X-15, was the black stuff that rubs off my platform pad and tracks all over the interior. A guy standing nearby overhears and comes over and asks me if I'm having trouble with my swim platform staining the boat. I told him I was. He was very sympathetic, apologized, and told me to email him and he'd have the new, correct platform material shipped to my dealer for installation. He handed me his business card...."John Dorton, President and CEO, MasterCraft Boat Company". We chatted for awhile, and as he walked away, the salesman said "he's been doing that kind of stuff all day".

My only other purchase was kind of an impulse buy I may regret someday. Good to have bought it now, before it either becomes illegal, or liability lawyers put the company out of business. Either or both things are likely, IMHO. I can't wait to try it.

Its nice to meet the top guy at a boat show isn't it?
I met him in person early last year. It is so wonderful to meet such a down-to-earth guy who is a CEO of such an amazing company. It makes you understand why MC rules the industry.

roddydog
01-22-2006, 03:28 PM
Went to the Toronto boat show this week. It's a 'huge' show, boats from everywhere and everything from canoes and kayaks to 60 foot cruisers. MC's display was 4 or 5 boats :( an X15, big X30 or 45 a new Prostar and that was about it. Pretty disappointing but I think the reason is because MC , being an american Co. just lets the dealers do their thing and the biggest dealer of MC's up here is Buckeye Marine. They also deal with just about every other make so I suppose that's why it was a small display, no wetsuits, caps, t-shirts nothing.
Not to jack this thread (and I do love my Prostar) but that's why I'm not a member of TMC. Just not a lot of care or support from the south. :twocents:

skitilldark
01-22-2006, 03:35 PM
Went to the Toronto boat show this week. It's a 'huge' show, boats from everywhere and everything from canoes and kayaks to 60 foot cruisers. MC's display was 4 or 5 boats :( an X15, big X30 or 45 a new Prostar and that was about it. Pretty disappointing but I think the reason is because MC , being an american Co. just lets the dealers do their thing and the biggest dealer of MC's up here is Buckeye Marine. They also deal with just about every other make so I suppose that's why it was a small display, no wetsuits, caps, t-shirts nothing.
Not to jack this thread (and I do love my Prostar) but that's why I'm not a member of TMC. Just not a lot of care or support from the south. :twocents:

Unfortunately they are a relatively small company. Smaller than you might think to have such a worldwide following. Because of this, I think they can't really afford to assist the dealers a lot. I wish it were different. Some dealers take it on their own to make a splash, while some either don't understand the potential impression they can make or just don't care enough. Its sad. Wish MC could hold their feet to the fire to a higher standard when they are out there representing MC boats.

roddydog
01-22-2006, 03:38 PM
You're probably right. I think they would rather sell 3, 20K Campions (or maybe it's easier) rather than 1, 50K MasterCraft. But like I said Love the Boats and Love my 190.

skitilldark
01-22-2006, 03:44 PM
You're probably right. I think they would rather sell 3, 20K Campions (or maybe it's easier) rather than 1, 50K MasterCraft. But like I said Love the Boats and Love my 190.

love the wake on those 88,89,90 190's. total butter.

Kevin 89MC
01-23-2006, 10:21 AM
Bigmac, that's really cool! I made it there yesterday as well, but had my 2 girls with me (5 and 2) so they didn't have much patience. The MC display was very cool. I agree that after seeing the others (Malibu and CC), I still like MC boats the best. I laughed when I saw that lime green Tige! Pretty cool that you got to meet John. I did not recognise the one guy I know from Midwest MC, so I didn't get a chance to chat too much. Can't wait for spring!

River Rat
01-23-2006, 10:32 AM
He handed me his business card...."John Dorton, President and CEO, MasterCraft Boat Company". We chatted for awhile, and as he walked away, the salesman said "he's been doing that kind of stuff all day".

Did you invite him to spend some on Team Talk? 8p

jlf
01-23-2006, 10:37 AM
I'll agree with you all Midwest MasterCraft had a nice display at the show. The guys were very friendly and very knowledgeable. I told them upfront I was not in the market for a new boat, yet they were willling to answer questions about the new boats. They even gave me two sets of tickets to the Pro Wakeboard Tour which will be in Minnesota this June, the only condition was I had to promise to go. Were helpful in giving me information on their ski clinics and wakeboard clinics. All that and I wasn't even thinking about a new boat.

RobertT
01-23-2006, 11:12 AM
Back to the tube/kite thing.....you cant get it to fly with a 200lb person at 18mph.

I have an Aquaglide http://www.aquaglide.net/airport_main.htm which we love.

Its like having a portable dock, when we tie up in a cove we all hang on it.

However, it is also the best tube I have ever been on.

I would guess that the one you bought will be as good if not better!

Funny story...

I buy the thing, and we all go out cruising. The beauty of the huge tubes like that is you can get the "whip" while at very slow speeds. Its very safe for the most part.

However, to get it to fly.....

So my 11 year old gets pretty good on it. I would get going about 20mph into a headwind...then bump it up to 25mph. Then he would drop all of his weight to the rear and lift the front with the handles. He would fly about 6' above the water and just hover.

So we were out cruising and I was about out of gas. I told my son Zack to get to the front of the tube so we could go faster and shoot across the lake to the marina. He did, like he has done a hundred times, and we cranked it up to about 30+ mph.

I was cruising, while a buddy watched zack. I felt a gust of wind in my face, then heard the inevitable scream.

I looked back, and the rope (that was on my tower) was going up at an angle of about 20 degrees. The tube was about 20+ feet up...no kidding. I think more, but am being conservative. It was flipping all over the place WAY up in the air.

I stared scanning the water behind the boat for Zacks head, knowing he fell off, only to glance up in the air and see that the tube turned over and Zack was still hanging on!

He let go, and took a 20' fall to the water.

He got back in the boat, laughed for a while, and we promised not to tell mom.

jbfootin
01-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Can you steer in the air with that thing? We have a small lake that you are always cornering. I would hate to whip the rider into the neighbors trees!

erkoehler
01-23-2006, 12:02 PM
Back to the tube/kite thing.....you cant get it to fly with a 200lb person at 18mph.

I have an Aquaglide http://www.aquaglide.net/airport_main.htm which we love.

Its like having a portable dock, when we tie up in a cove we all hang on it.

However, it is also the best tube I have ever been on.

I would guess that the one you bought will be as good if not better!

Funny story...

I buy the thing, and we all go out cruising. The beauty of the huge tubes like that is you can get the "whip" while at very slow speeds. Its very safe for the most part.

However, to get it to fly.....

So my 11 year old gets pretty good on it. I would get going about 20mph into a headwind...then bump it up to 25mph. Then he would drop all of his weight to the rear and lift the front with the handles. He would fly about 6' above the water and just hover.

So we were out cruising and I was about out of gas. I told my son Zack to get to the front of the tube so we could go faster and shoot across the lake to the marina. He did, like he has done a hundred times, and we cranked it up to about 30+ mph.

I was cruising, while a buddy watched zack. I felt a gust of wind in my face, then heard the inevitable scream.

I looked back, and the rope (that was on my tower) was going up at an angle of about 20 degrees. The tube was about 20+ feet up...no kidding. I think more, but am being conservative. It was flipping all over the place WAY up in the air.

I stared scanning the water behind the boat for Zacks head, knowing he fell off, only to glance up in the air and see that the tube turned over and Zack was still hanging on!

He let go, and took a 20' fall to the water.

He got back in the boat, laughed for a while, and we promised not to tell mom.

Thats sounds FUN, I might have to get one of those.....definetly a story you'll look back on when he is older and have a good laugh/

Workin' 4 Toys
01-23-2006, 01:51 PM
He handed me his business card...."John Dorton, President and CEO, MasterCraft Boat Company". We chatted for awhile, and as he walked away, the salesman said "he's been doing that kind of stuff all day".

Did you invite him to spend some on Team Talk? 8p
How cool would that be to hand him back a Bus. card that says
Team Mastercraft Team Talk with your name and phone number and your boat info.

rodltg2
01-23-2006, 01:55 PM
cool? not really, dorky.. yes

bigmac
01-23-2006, 02:17 PM
I thought I'd better call my dealer today and let them know about the swim platform stuff...I didn't want them thinking that I was a) unhappy with their customer service and b) going over their head by taking to the CEO behind their back.

:)

jayocheskey
01-23-2006, 02:24 PM
Flying on a tube had never crossed my mind before I read this thread. Now, I have to try it at least once. That has to be a great thrill.

I can't imagine falling from 20ft, going 30 mph. That had to have hurt a little.

twieder
01-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Flying on a tube had never crossed my mind before I read this thread. Now, I have to try it at least once. That has to be a great thrill.

I can't imagine falling from 20ft, going 30 mph. That had to have hurt a little.

I can see the headline now........ Cause of death....sudden impact from falling off a flying tube!

rodltg2
01-23-2006, 02:53 PM

i dont have the urge to try this but i'd love to drive somebody.

roddydog
01-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Gotta get me one of those!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My girl is only 2 but in a few years after I get good at it :headbang:

Workin' 4 Toys
01-23-2006, 03:24 PM
cool? not really, dorky.. yes
Yeah, you got me there.... :D

Ric
01-25-2006, 11:09 PM
wow Mac, I wonder if the boss was at the Houston show???? Now I wish I'd have gone just for the brush with boatbuilding greatness!

BriEOD
01-26-2006, 06:49 AM
That is teriffic to hear! Did you tell him you were "Big Mac" from Team Talk? :D It sounds like he was/is a pretty nice fella.

bigmac
01-26-2006, 08:28 AM
That is teriffic to hear! Did you tell him you were "Big Mac" from Team Talk? :D It sounds like he was/is a pretty nice fella.

I told him that Pendo doesn't have a camera icon...he wasn't sure he could fix that ...

Workin' 4 Toys
01-26-2006, 09:34 AM
I told him that Pendo doesn't have a camera icon...he wasn't sure he could fix that ...
LMAO!!!!!........... Did you give him the Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
speech for us?

bigmac
01-26-2006, 09:50 AM
LMAO!!!!!........... Did you give him the Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
speech for us?

Yes, I did, but he fell asleep within the first 30 seconds of my speech...

PendO
01-27-2006, 12:06 AM

Thanks for looking out for me:)

golson99
07-12-2011, 02:27 PM
The swim platform pad problem is annoying. After two seasons, our '07 X-Star is doing the same thing. The dealer advised that we replace it at a cost of over $500 including labor. Wish I had met the CEO at a boat show:)

02ProstarSammyD
07-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Ill shut up

Thrall
07-12-2011, 03:56 PM
The swim platform pad problem is annoying. After two seasons, our '07 X-Star is doing the same thing. The dealer advised that we replace it at a cost of over $500 including labor. Wish I had met the CEO at a boat show:)

You can get a SeaDeck pad for less than that with designs or faux teak or something.

agarabaghi
07-12-2011, 04:02 PM
you can buy new rubber for like $150 from mastercraft. Of course i dunno how long its gonna take to install it.