PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank repair

MasterCraftNZ
01-21-2006, 02:41 PM
I have to have my 1984 S&S fuel tank repaired (after a small problem which left a drill hole in it). Took it to one guy who did plastic welding but he could not get any of his PVCs to weld to it. Can anybody tell me exactly what it is made out of? Anyone else done this, any help would be apprecaited.

Chris

MasterCraftNZ

Killerack
01-21-2006, 04:28 PM
I have an 85 S&S and had my tank out a few times noticing the material appears to be blow molded Polypropylene, same material as the auto industries fuel tanks. As far as repairs, it’s difficult to fix and your right PVC won’t bond. You may have to get creative and make some sort of plug.

Cloaked
01-21-2006, 05:49 PM
I have to have my 1984 S&S fuel tank repaired (after a small problem which left a drill hole in it). Took it to one guy who did plastic welding but he could not get any of his PVCs to weld to it. Can anybody tell me exactly what it is made out of? Anyone else done this, any help would be apprecaited.

Chris

MasterCraftNZSay what you will but here's something I have seen fail-proof and fool-proof with regards to the same plastic-poly type tank on one of my tractors. I found a compound at an auto parts store that is a two part compound. It works perfectly and upon initial appearance and texture, one would never put confidence in the product but I have tried and tested it for over a year now. I'll find the small carton and get the name but all you do is mix the two parts, apply, and let it cure for 48 hours. No leak. Done deal.

JB Weld is useless in every and all applications that I have ever relied upon it to work. I'd give more credit to Elmer's carpenter glue over JB Crap.

jayderwin1
01-21-2006, 06:39 PM
is the hole on the top portion of the tank? what size drill bit went though the tank?

ted shred
01-21-2006, 09:45 PM
On my 83 S&S the tank is aluminum. If the hole is small enough you might try JB weld. Or if the tank material is thick enough you might use a sheet metal screw with a rubber washer on it.

MasterCraftNZ
01-22-2006, 01:28 AM
The drill bit was around 5/16, but it only just punctured the tank with a tiny hole. The drill hole is in the bottom surface of the tank and the hole runs almost parralel with the bottom surface of the tank just below that surface before it breaks through. :(

Chris

MasterCraftNZ