PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy it? What would you pay? Prostar 1991 190

scotth
01-21-2006, 04:44 AM
My buddy and I have been looking for a early 90's Prostar 190 and we came across one locally in pretty rough shape. I am curious what it is worth, put in your $.02 on how much you would pay for this boat. The low end NADA is $7900 My buddy and I will probably pass on this one and pay a bit more for something nicer. I feel sorry for this boat. :rant: Here is the run down:

1991 prostar 190 351 v8 (it had a 5 piece windshield, is it really a 91?)
790hrs, engine barely starts, does not really run, oil looks okay
Both exhaust manifolds are cracked and leaking exhaust and water
Flywheel ring gear is missing about 1/4 of its teeth
Missing front seat cushion
Gel coat is faded, not cracked
Carpet is worn out
Prop is banged up
Has been stored outside with no cover for awhile, everything is soaked
Blower and bilge pump do not work
Old stereo
Double axle trailer with a tongue that was cut and rewelded for some reason
No title, but has release of interest affidavit

What would you pay for this broken shady mess?????? Is it worth my time to get a good deal on it and drop 3K to get it going? Or just pay 8k for something that is good to go?

Leroy
01-21-2006, 08:19 AM
Just about everything that could be wrong is wrong! I think this one will be more money and more time to fix up than your estimate. Parts and labor are very expensive.

Go for a well taken care of machine, there are plenty out there.

erkoehler
01-21-2006, 08:32 AM
:rolleyes: Um, I'd take a pass unless you really want a project boat....

T Scott
01-21-2006, 08:41 AM
Pictures say a thousand words......got any? First, a 5 piece windshield? 1991 Prostar 190's had a 3 piece windshield. It is likely a 1990 Prostar as they had the five piece windshield. Check the last two digits of the VIN on the back of the boat, they represent the year.

In clean condition, this boat is likely worth 9k-10k. Based on what you said it needs, I don't think I would pay more than 4-5k for it. However, it is amazing what a little buffing and a new interior does for a boat. Mechanically, it dosen't sound awful, but I would do a compression check. The boat running poorly could be as simnple as a carb rebuild or adding fresh gas. However, plan for the worse.......Good luck.

As the saying goes, "If it floats and is a Mastercraft, it's worth 5 grand"

Tom023
01-21-2006, 08:54 AM
I'll tow it away for $50.

6ballsisall
01-21-2006, 10:43 AM
For what its worth I bought an 86' that was rough for $2k with trailer but that boat ran fine. Everything else sounds similar to what I had to do to it. If you do it with intentions of fixing it up then put your budget together using good solid numbers. Once you have that done ad about 40% additional to your budget and thats what you'll spend to have it all fixed. One thing I would caution you on is if the boat is that rough you probably will find many more things wrong with it once you bring it home and get to work on it. Someone neglected it, theres no telling the structural integrity of the boat.

The call is yours but if you asked me if I would do it again you'd get a no. Of course I am a guy with little patience or future desire to fix stuff.

Byrdman
01-21-2006, 11:47 AM
I Just traded my 1991 PS190 in in Orlando, You should be able to get a good, running boat for around $9k-10K with trailer. Offer to haul it off for him, and see what he says.

Cloaked
01-21-2006, 01:13 PM
My buddy and I have been looking for a early 90's Prostar 190 and we came across one locally in pretty rough shape. I am curious what it is worth, put in your $.02 on how much you would pay for this boat. The low end NADA is $7900 My buddy and I will probably pass on this one and pay a bit more for something nicer. I feel sorry for this boat. :rant: Here is the run down:

Carpet is worn out
Prop is banged up
Old stereo

What would you pay for this broken shady mess?????? Is it worth my time to get a good deal on it and drop 3K to get it going? Or just pay 8k for something that is good to go?Walk away and find another machine. $0.02

You can find a very nice solid old school boat (85 model) for $8k or less and it be in perfect condition with less hours on the engine.

rodltg2
01-21-2006, 01:17 PM
where is this gem located?

baedriver
01-21-2006, 01:17 PM
I would pass! Last year there was a 190 for sale green and white excellent running order with 600hrs give or take 50. He was asking 8500 just to unload it he was moving! Keep your eye out it is always fun to look.

milkmania
01-21-2006, 01:56 PM

Carpet is worn out
Prop is banged up
Old stereo

What would you pay for this broken shady mess?????? Is it worth my time to get a good deal on it and drop 3K to get it going? Or just pay 8k for something that is good to go?

keep walking....
my 91 PS190 was $8995.00 from a dealer.

although severly used, it has been in great mechanical condition. had the gelcoat buffed, polished & decals replaced. dealer installed new battery. came with skylon fat pole & cover. no hour meter
the upholstery was somewhat neglected, kinda hard, but not brittle (split seam on rear seat pad only). in the works to be replaced along with the rub rail (dings)

and it cleans up pretty good.
and mine has the 3 piece windshield.

scotth
01-21-2006, 03:00 PM
I am going to pass on it I think. He is asking $5500, sounds like he does not really want to deal either. One of my concerns is that the exhaust valves are all trashed since there is water leaking into the exhaust passage as well as leaking out. I might pay 4K for it if he does not find another buyer. I don't mind a good project, but this may be too much of a money pit.

Pics attached. What do you guys think, is the block cracked with the manifolds looking that bad??? Duct tape and JB is a good way to fix manifolds right? :eek:

milkmania
01-21-2006, 03:05 PM
looks nothing like my 91

but, from the pics, and the JB welded manifolds...... and duct tape:rolleyes:
I would sure as hell keep walking, no telling what else it "patched up"

my :twocents:

scotth
01-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Pretty much you would have to count on fixing everything I think. There are still a few months till boating season in Seattle, I think I will keep looking.

milkmania
01-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Pretty much you would have to count on fixing everything I think. There are still a few months till boating season in Seattle, I think I will keep looking.

not being there.... I'm not saying it wouldn't be a good project boat.

but when I see noticable patch work, alarms go off in my mind about the patch work I cannot see.

not knowing your abilities or financial situation, I'm only giving negative comments for myself..... I know I would walk;)

I'm sure there are guys on this board that would excel in a project like this, I'm not one of them:(

Workin' 4 Toys
01-21-2006, 05:51 PM
MAYBE at best $1K or $2K if it floats and is at least driveable, then after about $5K invested you'd have your $8K Nada boat, but you will learn ALOT with that project, that is for sure.

slalomskifreak
01-22-2006, 10:43 AM
Maybe watch this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mastercraft-ProStar-190_W0QQitemZ4606620086QQcategoryZ63686QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

scotth
01-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Maybe watch this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mastercraft-ProStar-190_W0QQitemZ4606620086QQcategoryZ63686QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem
Already am.....

jamisonsbrodie
01-22-2006, 01:05 PM
That is an 89 or older, you can tell by the vinyl on the observers seat and the engine cover. The 90 has the newer interior, and a 91 has the 3-piece windshield

milkmania
01-22-2006, 01:10 PM
That is an 89 or older, you can tell by the vinyl on the observers seat and the engine cover. The 90 has the newer interior, and a 91 has the 3-piece windshield

which boat do you speak of?

my 91 does not have the swivel driver's seat

jamisonsbrodie
01-22-2006, 04:22 PM
which boat do you speak of?

my 91 does not have the swivel driver's seat

The boat from the start of this thread. It has the pre-90 interior and pre-91 windshield

pilot02
01-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Looks to be an 88 or 89 to me. Interior matches what was in my 89 tristar. DON'T Touch this boat. Looking at the pics, it's a severely neglected POS!

Byrdman
01-23-2006, 10:46 AM

That is the 3 piece windshield, and I believe that is a 91. I just traded in a 91 PS190, and it looked exactly like that one, except the drivers seat, and mine was yellow where that one is red.

jraben8
01-23-2006, 10:57 AM
I was going to guess '88. The interior striping is different than my old '87. I'd keep looking unless you want to spend more time working on it this summer than actually using it. There is no telling what else you might find wrong in that motor.

BrianM
01-23-2006, 11:04 AM
I gaurantee that boat is an '88 Every year between 87-90 the interior pattern changed a little bit. That is an '88. Same color as my old '88.

As many have said that boat is in sorry shape and there is no way I would pay that kind of money for it. The guy is lying about what year it is. What else is he lying about? You can by one in pristine condition for $9k

What is up with all of the glass??

stump
01-23-2006, 11:06 AM
IMHO this is definitely a 1987-1990 hull, and the interior looks like the skins they started using in 1990 I believe. Just my 2 pennies!

Kevin 89MC
01-23-2006, 11:09 AM
I gaurantee that boat is an '88 Every year between 87-90 the interior pattern changed a little bit. That is an '88. Same color as my old '88.

As many have said that boat is in sorry shape and there is no way I would pay that kind of money for it. The guy is lying about what year it is. What else is he lying about? You can by one in pristine condition for $9k

Out of curiosity, what were the differences from 1988 to 1989? The pictures of this boat look exactly (I think) like my '89. I agree about all the comments BTW. It will be a big projectfor someone to get into.

BrianM
01-23-2006, 11:16 AM
Out of curiosity, what were the differences from 1988 to 1989? The pictures of this boat look exactly (I think) like my '89. I agree about all the comments BTW. It will be a big projectfor someone to get into.

If I remember correctly they dropped the basket weave patterned white vinyl 'insert' on the '89. I think the colored panels were shorter as well. '87s had the vertical color on each end of the horizontal. '90 had a different engine box.

scotth
01-23-2006, 01:40 PM

The glass looks fogged due to all the moisture in the boat and the camera flash.

Don't worry we walked away from that wreck, gotta keep looking.

BriEOD
01-23-2006, 02:18 PM
That's surely a 87-90 hull. It's not 87 interior. My guess is a 90'.

Kevin 89MC
01-24-2006, 04:02 PM
If I remember correctly they dropped the basket weave patterned white vinyl 'insert' on the '89. I think the colored panels were shorter as well. '87s had the vertical color on each end of the horizontal. '90 had a different engine box.
Thanks! My interior is custom (at least it's not represented in the '89 Bruchure), so mine won't match anything.

jayocheskey
01-24-2006, 04:07 PM
looks nothing like my 91

but, from the pics, and the JB welded manifolds...... and duct tape:rolleyes:
I would sure as hell keep walking, no telling what else it "patched up"

my :twocents:

I agree - Duct tape on an engine is NEVER a welcome sight.