PDA

View Full Version : Capacity Plate for 1992 Prostar 205

FLRunner
01-20-2006, 03:56 PM
I have a 1992 Prostar 205 and the Capacity Plate is worn and the numbers are no longer visible. According to MasterCraft they cannot reproduce this plate. Does anybody have this boat that can send me a picture?

Their response to my request:
Unfortunately, that plate is no longer available. We even looked at years after 92 before that boat changed and we no longer had any for those years either. The only suggestion I would have is this. I don't know if you are familiar with our owners website. If not, you can go to www.tmcowners.com. You can register to use this site if you own a MasterCraft and then you can post a question about this plate. There is a lot of information that the guys on that site are more than willing to share and a lot of them have the older boats and may have ideas of where to find certain parts. They might not be able to help with this part but they are a great resource for any future issues you may have.

rodltg2
01-20-2006, 03:58 PM
why do you need it, curious? ask eastie.

east tx skier
01-20-2006, 04:15 PM
Welcome. For a while, I had the perfect pass hand timer velcro'd over mine. I need to remove the velcro to take a picture. Of course, that might pull the whole thing off. I've been meaning to do it though. But if it has the date on there, mine won't work inasmuch as it's a 93 (I know they're the same boat, but don't know if it needs to be date specific). PM me if a picture from a 93 will work for you.

ski_king
01-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Discussion about a plate for a boat older than your, but it may help.
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=4354&page=2&pp=10&highlight=plate+capacity

milkmania
01-20-2006, 04:36 PM
FLRunner,

welcome to the board!:wavey:

you might ask this guy.....
I don't thnk he needs it:rolleyes:

seriously though, mine's getting pretty worn and I'm needing to replace it also.

Ski*MC posted the Salad PS190 a while back, don't know where he got it, but something like the salad bar would be a good place to start, wrecked MC's also are out there. But, you've got it pretty much narrowed down with your search for a 1992 ProStar 205. But, I would think just getting the proper information and finding ANY salvaged boat with the same weight/engine/person specs would be ideal....I don't think they are "boat specific"

TMC regulars....
stop laughing, I'm being serioushttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/spank2.gif

east tx skier
01-20-2006, 04:41 PM
That's a 97 ProBar 190. I posted that one on here a while back. I actually traded some emails with the guy who was selling it a year or so ago. MC made him promise to never make it into a boat (something about the hull being slightly misshapen).

milkmania
01-20-2006, 04:43 PM
FLRunner,
what state in the southeast are you needing it for? I see in the other thread that Ski_King gives a link for the Pennsylvania Capacity Plate.

maybe would could search for your state that way...
I dunno, but google is my friend;)

east tx skier
01-20-2006, 04:44 PM
In some states, you're required by law to have the capacity plate. My guess is that he could probably get by with a picture or a scan reproduction afixed over the old one.

milkmania
01-20-2006, 04:47 PM
I may be out of line......

seems the plate is made for specific boats....or at least specific manuifacturers:o

ski_king's 1982 plate below

milkmania
01-20-2006, 05:05 PM
http://www.vesselsafetycheck.org
from their search engine:

Capacity Plate Restrictions, posted: 7/7/2005

Question: Our boat has a capacity plate that states 8 people or so many pounds. Which amount should I go by? We are wanting to take 4 adults & 5 small children. Would this be acceptable?
Thank you

Answer: The capacity plate specifies both a maximum number of persons AND a maximum weight of persons, along with a maximum weight of persons and all gear etc. None of these values can be exceeded. So in the example you cite, you would have nine persons and would exceed the specifications of the capacity plate. It would not be acceptable, and you could be cited for a violation.

Jim Lubner, BC-VTR
National V Department
US Coast Guard Auxiliary +++

Capacity Plate, posted: 6/13/2005

Question: I am getting conflicting info. Our 12 foot alum. rowboat capacity plate reads 2 people or 300 lbs. AND 500 lbs - persons, motor, gear. How do we properly interpret this?

Answer: The total amount of weight you may bring onboard your boat is 500 pounds, period. Of that 500 pounds, only 300 pounds may be persons. You also may not bring more than 2 persons onboard, even if there combined weight is less than 300 pounds. For example, 2 persons who each weighed 200 pounds could not be onboard the boat because their combined weight is more than 300 pounds. Also, 3 persons who each weighed less than 100 pounds could not be onboard the boat because they are more than the 2 persons allowed. Add up the weight of persons onboard the boat and subtract that amount from 500 pounds to determine how much weight in gear and/or motor you may bring onboard.
George R Bores, BA-VTS
National "V" Department Staff
U S Coast Guard Auxiliary +++

Capacity Plate, posted: 4/27/2005

Question: I bought my 16ft. sabre craft with a 80hsp outboard. It does not have the capacity compliance plate on the boat, that says how many people and the motor rating. I want to be legal and I don't know where to go to get one.

Answer: It is suggested that you talk to a dealer/dealers that sold your make of boat to find out if they are still in business, or if that manufacturer was purchased by another company and that company might have the information needed.

Another means of locating information is to do a web search for the boat make and model in question. Sometimes there are owners, groups, or collectors on the web that might be a source of information. Further, if you might contact the Coast Guard Marine Safety Office (MSO) nearest to your home and get more information.

Also, if there is no capacity plate on a boat less than 20 feet, the following formula can be used to determine the maximum number of persons that can be safely carried in calm weather: Boat length multiplied by boat width divided by 15 (LxW/15) = Number people that can be safely carried in calm waters.

Eula May Sweet DVC VT
National V Department
USCG Auxiliary
+++

Capacity/Certificate of Compliance, posted: 1/26/2005

Question: The capacity plate on my 16' bass boat is worn out and I can no longer read the Maximum Horsepower specifications. How may I get a new plate if the manufacturer is no longer in business? Will this prevent me from receiving a VSC?

Answer: It is suggested that you talk to a dealer/dealers that sold your make of boat to find out if they are still in business, or if that manufacturer was purchased by another company and that company might have the information needed.

Another means of locating information is to do a web search for the boat make and model in question. Sometimes there are owners, groups, or collectors on the web that might be a source of information. You might contact the Coast Guard Marine Safety Office (MSO) nearest to your home to get information about estimating Maximum Horsepower Ratings from their publications about home-built boats.

Eula May Sweet DVC VT
National V Department
USCG Auxiliary +++

Capacity Plate and Visibility, posted: 6/12/2002

Question: I have a 16' fiberglass boat made by a mfr who offers a line of bolt-on components such as bow & stern decks and consoles. The mfr-installed capacity plate on the forward face of the transom is now beneath such a deck; viewing it requires sticking one's head into the mouth of a hatch and using a flashlight. Should I drill out the rivets and reinstall it on an exposed surface to meet the requirement that it be readily visible?

Answer: Your capacity plate should be readily accessible to any law enforcement officer who boards your vessel. If it is not readily accessible to the boarding officer you could receive a citation. I would recommend you re-locate the plate.

Hal Leahy, BC-VTS
USCG Auxiliary

G-man
01-20-2006, 05:06 PM
In 91 I had a Ski Brendella Spectrum. It was just over 20 feet and had no capacity plate. I was told by the manufacture that boats under 20ft are required by the coastguard to have capacity plates.

thanks rod it's friday

east tx skier
01-20-2006, 05:14 PM
George, what do you want to bet that the Wardens will consider the swim platform part of the boat on a given day for measurement purposes.

G-man
01-20-2006, 05:43 PM
The Wardens probably would do that here. If it is detachable it is not suppose to count. The requirement was put upon the manufacture of the boatto have it in place. Here in the great state if your boat is over 30 ft I think children are not required to wear lifevest at all times. Mine did when they were little. Heck, I told my kids they were required to wear vest till they were 16. Fortunatly we moved to the private lake when they were teenagers and we don't cruise around anymore.

rodltg2
01-20-2006, 05:44 PM
In 91 I had a Ski Brendella Spectrum. It was just over 20 feet and had no capacity plate. I was told by the manufacture that boats over 20ft are required by the coastguard to have capacity plates.

george i had the same boat without capacity plate. i think you mean boats over 20ft are NOT required.

WTRSK1R
01-29-2006, 10:38 PM
Do you just need the numbers, or is a picture required? I have a 1992 ProSport 205, but I am almost certain the capacity plate would be identical for both the ProStar 205 and the ProSport 205 in 1992. The Capacity is rated at 10 Persons or 1330 lbs. If you need the photo, reply to this post and I will pull the cover all the way off and take one. I was lazy tonight and only pull the cover back enough to see the numbers.

Steve

WTRSK1R
03-02-2006, 09:59 PM
I am not sure if you are still looking for this, but I saw you had also posted a question on Mymastercraft.com so I took the photo. My boat is a ProSport 205, but the capacity plate actually says Prostar 205 on it.

Sorry for the delay.

123src
03-03-2006, 02:31 AM
I also have a 1992 ProStar 205. If you still need a pic or any others, let me know. I'd be happy to help!

FLRunner
04-04-2006, 03:32 PM
I am not sure if you are still looking for this, but I saw you had also posted a question on Mymastercraft.com so I took the photo. My boat is a ProSport 205, but the capacity plate actually says Prostar 205 on it.

Sorry for the delay.

Thank you for your responses and thank you WTRSK1R for the picture. The weather is getting nice in FL, getting ready to do some trailer work (brakes don't work) and start a new season.